PDA

View Full Version : does the SEGA CD unit play copied CD-R's?

Mista_Ed
04-25-2010, 02:02 PM
scuse my ignorance here....but i assume that the sega cd unit will play CD-R's, right?

(for playing backups only though, of course ;))

ThugsRook
04-25-2010, 02:19 PM
yup

Mista_Ed
04-25-2010, 03:02 PM
cheers :)

(sorry mods - should have gone into general Q's)

Guntz
04-25-2010, 03:55 PM
Sega CD has no copy protection, it will play CD-Rs. However it won't play CD-RWs. The discs also need to be burned at a slow speed. The general rule of thumb is the slowest your burner in particular can burn at, since not all burners are the same.

04-25-2010, 04:01 PM
yeah man.

you say burn at slow speed, but mine only burns on 50x speed, never had one problem and near all my SegaCD games are burn't.

If you want to play import games you have to change the region, the ones I found worked the best was .iso & mp3 & .cue

burn't using imgburn.

Guntz
04-25-2010, 04:06 PM
There's just a better chance of the game working if you use a slow burning speed. If high speed works for you, perfect.

I also use Imgburn and it works great.

04-25-2010, 04:54 PM
deffo man, id never use anything but imgburn, especially for other .isos ;)

Jasper061992
04-25-2010, 05:32 PM
deffo man, id never use anything but imgburn, especially for other .isos ;)

I used Imgburn to burn myself a copy of Sonic MegaMix at 1x. Worked perfectly upon one try. ;)

To the TC, use 1x whenever possible. It will guarantee a more successful disc burn and give the Mega CD drive an easier time reading the discs.

04-25-2010, 05:55 PM
not many drives burn at 1x, but I get what you're saying.

fuck it, burn them at 100000x speed.

kool kitty89
04-25-2010, 06:23 PM
You don't have to burn it super slow, the more imporant ting is that it's burned at a fixed rate not "optimum" (which uses variable write speed for the fastest completion time iirc), selecting a fixed burning speed is the main point, doing it super slow or moderately fast shouldn't matter as much by comparison.

04-25-2010, 06:51 PM
also you can verify the disk afterwards for write errors etc, I think burn slow is a myth/redundant nowadays since the CD-R/W technology is so old and refined...just like me ;)

Chilly Willy
04-25-2010, 07:07 PM
scuse my ignorance here....but i assume that the sega cd unit will play CD-R's, right?

Only if it's a SEGA CD game or an audio CDR. It won't play video CDs or PC or XBox or PSX or Saturn or DC or PCE CDs no matter what speed you burn at. ;) :D

Flygon
04-25-2010, 07:28 PM
Only if it's a SEGA CD game or an audio CDR. It won't play video CDs or PC or XBox or PSX or Saturn or DC or PCE CDs no matter what speed you burn at. ;) :D
Are you accusing the Sega-CD of not having enough Blast Processing to handle those games?!

Or are those games simply not Blast Processing compatible. :cool:

Chilly Willy
04-25-2010, 08:44 PM
Are you accusing the Sega-CD of not having enough Blast Processing to handle those games?!

No, I'm saying it's TOO MUCH for those other games. A game has to be carefully constructed to work with Blast Processing or it could invert Space and Time. :D

Flygon
04-25-2010, 09:21 PM
No, I'm saying it's TOO MUCH for those other games. A game has to be carefully constructed to work with Blast Processing or it could invert Space and Time. :D
Good point, I nearly did blow up my house when I accidentally put my copy of Resident Evil 5 into the Sega CD drive, it's a good thing I removed it when it turned red.

The Sega CD wasn't even turned on.

Chilly Willy
04-25-2010, 10:51 PM
Good point, I nearly did blow up my house when I accidentally put my copy of Resident Evil 5 into the Sega CD drive, it's a good thing I removed it when it turned red.

Whew! That was close... and they think the LHC is dangerous! :sweat:

MegaGenny84
04-26-2010, 06:31 AM

lol :)

In a related question, using alot of CD-R's won't in any way harm the Sega CD will it? I've heard that it can harm other machines like the PS2 and Dreamcast if you play alot of CD-R's.

04-26-2010, 10:05 AM
Just use decent media, and you'll be fine.

It usually harms dreamcast because of how the data is arranged on the disk and how that data has been ripped. so long as its a decent .iso you shouldn't have a problem as SegaCDs don't require file padding etc and the data is quiet tiny, its mostly the audio data that takes up 90% of the room.

MegaGenny84
04-26-2010, 10:38 AM
I use Maxell CD-R's which I think are good quality, what do you use?

Mista_Ed
04-26-2010, 10:55 AM
verbatims are always good - used those for this sort of thing for yeeears.... as are memorex too....not bad!

04-26-2010, 01:25 PM
Verbatim always and theirs another brand but Maxell cyanine based CD-Rs are terrible.

mine are;
Verbatim - Azo + Silver
Kodak Gold Silver+Gold - Phthalocyanine dye / Silver and Gold.
Mitsui Silver, Ricoh Platinum - Phthalocyanine dye + Silver.
Taiyo Yuden - Cyanine + Silver.

Cyanine are the ones you dont want for long term, but that doesn't mean a cyanine based CD-R has to be shite.

MegaGenny84
04-26-2010, 05:23 PM
Verbatim always and theirs another brand but Maxell cyanine based CD-Rs are terrible.

mine are;
Verbatim - Azo + Silver
Kodak Gold Silver+Gold - Phthalocyanine dye / Silver and Gold.
Mitsui Silver, Ricoh Platinum - Phthalocyanine dye + Silver.
Taiyo Yuden - Cyanine + Silver.

Cyanine are the ones you dont want for long term, but that doesn't mean a cyanine based CD-R has to be shite.

Thanks for the tip!

Ecco
04-26-2010, 07:19 PM
Never had a problem burning Sega CD games w/ the blank CD's they sell at the grocery store: TDK CD-R's
There was some other kind of TDK blank CD's that worked just as well...

I've always used Nero software.

I think it just burns them at defualt max speed which works fine. Never had any problems, except when I started trying to burn games at lower speeds, it seemed to screw up a few games ironically...

04-26-2010, 08:49 PM
Exactly mate, doesn't really matter which is more I was getting at earlier so many different variations.

but yeah disks above were my preference as to longevity.

Assman
04-26-2010, 11:30 PM
I've had problems with discs burned at high speeds, so I'd argue that it does indeed matter. Even Windows wouldn't read the last CD I burned at max speed.

Obviously this all depends on the media, the burner and the software you're using, but still, there's definitely wisdom to be found in the old "burn at low speeds" adage.