PDA

View Full Version : Sega CD Not working...

PsychoMistress
05-11-2006, 08:09 PM
I have a Sega CD 2 that refuses to power up. I've searched (and searched) the net for any information and the best I could find is a blown fuse issue.

I've had this thing for over 10 years and never had a problem.

I hooked it up today to find that the CD won't power on. The genesis works fine with both DC adapters.

Out of about 50 tries, it only showed signs of life 4 times. The red access light flashes for a split second and that's it. And this only happens after I twist the DC adapter jack in the back.

I've tried gently pulling the power cord different ways, thinking it might be a lose connection, but that isn't working.

I've tried seating and un-seating it but that doesn't make a bit of difference.

Mostly I just get a white screen. Every so often I've gotten purples, pinks, blues, and greens too.

I did notice the power jack to look different than the one on the Genesis. It looks to be a bit of corrosion or worn down, I can't tell which.

Could that be the problem? It's not any different then it was last time I played.

Or, could it power up so briefly like it does even with a blown fuse?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Annette.

Joe Redifer
05-11-2006, 09:34 PM
Try fiddling with the connection between the Genesis and the Sega CD. Make sure it is firmly connected, and then ever-so-slightly pull the Genesis away from the Sega CD (with the power OFF, of course). Now power it up. Do a few different variations of this and see what happens. Usually when I detach my Genesis from my Sega CD and then put it back, the Sega CD refuses to power up. I power the Genesis down and re-set it until it works, and then I leave it alone and it works until I remove it again for whatever reason.

PsychoMistress
05-11-2006, 10:27 PM
Thanks for your replay.

That is one of the first things that popped into my head to try. My Genesis actually does that...I have to pull on the left side of the cart ever so slightly for it work. My NES is the same way.

So I figured that might work with the console connection.

I've tried it pushed all the way in and then ever so slightly pulled out and I've tried it just barely pushed in and every variation in between without going too far either way.

Nothing.

And after fiddling with it some more, the light coming on every once in a while is totally random and has nothing to do with me twisting and turning the power jack.

And, I made a boo boo when I first tried to hook it up. I always remembered my NES adapter working with my Genesis so I may have used that by accident on the Sega CD. I can't remember now.

But if so, that would certainly explain the no power situation and there is no telling what I could have fried.

I opened it up a little bit ago and took a look inside. I didn't really notice any burning smell and everything looked to be in order. I unscrewed and tried to remove that thin metal plate over the board but it has some kind of clips that need to be bent back and I'm not at all sure what I'm doing there.

I found a tutorial, but it's not very easy to understand and leaves me confused in several areas. I found a few relevant threads on the Sega Xtreme forum, but most of it is difficult to understand for me.

I have no idea what I'm going to do.

Thanks for your help tho.

nik
05-13-2006, 12:09 PM
I'm assuming you cleaned the contacts with a white eraser?

I'd clean where the power adaptor connects to the segaCD as well, that little metal section might get some grime on it.

PsychoMistress
05-14-2006, 06:03 PM
I cleaned the contacts, but not with an eraser. I used high grade alcohol and a Q-tip.

I have managed to get it working, but it's just a temporary fix. It was the fuse, which was on the underside of the circuit board. It's a small surface mount fuse that is impossible to find anywhere. So, right now its just a tube fuse, wire, and heat tubing rigged up.

Starts right up now. However, I'm having a problem with the sound. I get absolutely no sound out of my TV set. The only way I can get sound is by using the RCA cables hooked up to my receiver and using the Mixing cable.

I can't figure out what would cause a sound problem with my TV. The Genesis sound works fine.

The only thing I can think of is maybe something else got fried when I used the wrong adapter. Or, when I had it open the entire Lens assembly fell out and that couldn't have been good.

And now I notice sound interference when the CD is being read at startup. That's never been there before.

Meh. It's got some new quirks that I'm not happy with, but for the moment it's working.

I appreciate the help and any insight on that sound problem would be great.

I'll try to get that worked out and after that I'm gonna box this thing up and just buy a raggedy one to actually play.

nik
05-14-2006, 11:31 PM
I cleaned the contacts, but not with an eraser. I used high grade alcohol and a Q-tip.

I have managed to get it working, but it's just a temporary fix. It was the fuse, which was on the underside of the circuit board. It's a small surface mount fuse that is impossible to find anywhere. So, right now its just a tube fuse, wire, and heat tubing rigged up.

Starts right up now. However, I'm having a problem with the sound. I get absolutely no sound out of my TV set. The only way I can get sound is by using the RCA cables hooked up to my receiver and using the Mixing cable.

I can't figure out what would cause a sound problem with my TV. The Genesis sound works fine.

The only thing I can think of is maybe something else got fried when I used the wrong adapter. Or, when I had it open the entire Lens assembly fell out and that couldn't have been good.

And now I notice sound interference when the CD is being read at startup. That's never been there before.

Meh. It's got some new quirks that I'm not happy with, but for the moment it's working.

I appreciate the help and any insight on that sound problem would be great.

I'll try to get that worked out and after that I'm gonna box this thing up and just buy a raggedy one to actually play.

Sounds like a bad ground, thats why the noise... it'll go away with a proper fuse, happens in car stereo's when a wire goes bare after being in a high movement area and rubbing off.

PsychoMistress
05-15-2006, 08:38 AM
That's good to hear. After a while it goes away, so I suppose I can live with it until I find the correct fuse.

But that thing is so incredibly difficult to find. I've searched and searched and can't find one for the life of me.

Thanks again!

nik
05-15-2006, 12:26 PM
That's good to hear. After a while it goes away, so I suppose I can live with it until I find the correct fuse.

But that thing is so incredibly difficult to find. I've searched and searched and can't find one for the life of me.

Thanks again!

Take it to "The Source".

PsychoMistress
05-15-2006, 08:42 PM
If by that you mean Sega, they are ignoring me.

nik
05-15-2006, 09:36 PM
If by that you mean Sega, they are ignoring me.

No, "The Source" is by Circuit City, they took over the Radio Shacks, basically its a shop with every kind of wire, fuse, battery and gadget you could ever need... they might have that fuse in stock.

However, it blew because of a reason, check for faulty solders, and somthing that is burnt a little, such as a bare wire (might be your gound problem as well).

Joe Redifer
05-15-2006, 09:39 PM
Fuses go bad usually to protect the rest of the equipment from a voltage overload, such as a power surge or the like. The rest of the unit is probably fine, just be sure to put a matching fuse back in there. If it blows again then you know you have an electrical problem with the Sega CD.

Melf
05-15-2006, 10:48 PM
No, "The Source" is by Circuit City, they took over the Radio Shacks, basically its a shop with every kind of wire, fuse, battery and gadget you could ever need... they might have that fuse in stock.

Wait...what? You mean Radio Shack is no more? Please tell me this is true, as there is no other store I wish a quick and painful death.

Joe Redifer
05-15-2006, 10:49 PM
Melf how dare you wish death to Radio Shack.

Fanboy. :rofl:

nik
05-16-2006, 01:36 AM
Fuses go bad usually to protect the rest of the equipment from a voltage overload, such as a power surge or the like. The rest of the unit is probably fine, just be sure to put a matching fuse back in there. If it blows again then you know you have an electrical problem with the Sega CD.

I'm sure he already thought of that.. but instead of wasting time, he should check the componants just incase, that way, if somthing is broken, and needs repair, he won't waste his time bothering with that fuse.

Common sense to do a system check when a fuse blows, this includes vehicles, and all electronics.

Wait...what? You mean Radio Shack is no more? Please tell me this is true, as there is no other store I wish a quick and painful death.

Yup, all gone now.

Joe Redifer
05-16-2006, 03:55 AM
Radio Shack didn't sell many things like resistors and transistors and components like they used to. Does this "Source" place sell cool stuff like that? Or is it just the same useless thing as Radio Shack with a new name? I remember when my town had a Radio Shack.com store (or something like that) and they sold everything you could possibly think of. Of course it had to shut down because it was too good.

nik
05-16-2006, 04:21 AM
Radio Shack didn't sell many things like resistors and transistors and components like they used to. Does this "Source" place sell cool stuff like that? Or is it just the same useless thing as Radio Shack with a new name? I remember when my town had a Radio Shack.com store (or something like that) and they sold everything you could possibly think of. Of course it had to shut down because it was too good.

Yeah just a name swap, radio shacks here have all that stuff though, must be diffrent there?

PsychoMistress
05-16-2006, 09:52 AM

However, it blew because of a reason, check for faulty solders, and somthing that is burnt a little, such as a bare wire (might be your gound problem as well).

Yeah. I wasn't paying attention to what I was doing and used an NES adapter with it. I figured if it works with the Genesis, it should work the Sega CD :owned:

For the past few days it has been working just fine. I got it plugged into a Surge Protector just to make double sure and I unplug the power when I'm not using it.

Sadly, we don't have a Circuit City here. My boss ordered some identical fuses that he is gonna try once they come in. But 1 of our Radio Shacks sells Fuse ho lders so if all else fails, we can go with that.

It seems my sound problem is my Mixing Cable. It is causing the interference with my speakers. So, if I pull it out just a little bit and twist it, the humming goes away. But, there are a few different variations that I get from my speakers when I mess with that cable. One way gives me just the right channel. Another way gives me just the Floor Speakers, and so on. The difference is obvious during the Demo screen, but I can't really notice a difference when a game is playing.

And now every so often I do get sound coming through my TV. Yesterday it was extremely distorted, and this morning it came in much clearer until that humming sound kicked in.

Extremely weird. And I can't figure out what's causing the changes although I suspect that Mixing cable again.

I did check other components when I had it tore apart. Everything looks ok. No evidence of burning or anything else 'popping'. Even the battery is still good, after all these years.

BTW, "she" would be more appropriate for me.

Thanks again!

Joe Redifer
05-16-2006, 02:19 PM
Floor speakers? The Genesis only has two channels: left and right.

PsychoMistress
05-16-2006, 05:19 PM
Yes but I have the Sega CD hooked up to a Dolby Digital 5.1 receiver...So I'm dealing with more than just 2 standard speakers.

So, when I fiddle with the Mixing cable, I get sound through different speakers.

Depending on the position of the mixing cable in the jack, I can get several different combinations like:

Floor speakers only
Surround sound speakers only
Right floor + right surround speakers
Left floor + left surround speakers
Right or Left floor + center speaker
All 5 speakers
All 5 speakers + Hum

If I don't get all 5 speakers, then I end up missing layers of the music.

Like the Demo screen. If the Mixing cable is in, I just get synth through my TV. But if I remove the mixing cable, I get the layers I'm missing (drum, bass and percussion).

With my surround speakers, the synth comes through different speakers depending on how I move the mixing cord. The drums, bass and percussion also switch from speaker to speaker.

So I'm still dealing with 2 actual channels of sound (synth and drums/bass/percussion), but they move around from speaker to speaker when I twist the mixing cable in the jack.

I hope that makes sense. It's weird as hell.

And I still get that humming sound. I have to pull on the Mixing cable, almost to the point where it's coming out of the jack, to get rid of it and still manage to get both channels coming through the way they should.

It's weird I have sound coming through my TV now all of a sudden too. First I didn't have any, then I had distortion, then I had a little recognizable sound, and now I have it all with that hum. And I can't figure out what the factor is for that. I've tried moving all the cords, and even the entire system, but it makes no difference.

The only thing I can think of that would behave like that is a capacitor I think. I dunno.

I'm confused.

Joe Redifer
05-16-2006, 07:02 PM
If the mixing cable is plugged into the Sega CD, then the Sega CD outputs all audio via the RCA jacks on the back of the CD unit. If you have a minijack to RCA cable coming out of the headphone jack, ONLY the Genesis-generated audio will be output and none of the Sega CD audio (many Sega CD games use the Genesis sound chip to generate some of the audio). If you remove the mixing cable, ALL of the audio is output via the Genesis headphone jack, Genesis and Sega CD.

The mixing cable is supposed to take the audio from the Genesis headphone jack and route it through the Sega CD (the mixing jack is an input) so you can output via the RCA jacks. So in conclusion:

-If you have a cable going from the Genesis headphone jack to the mixing jack on the Sega CD, you MUST output your audio from the Sega CD RCA jacks. Leave the Sega CD RCA jacks alone in this case and don't hook them up to anything.

-If you do NOT have a mixing jack plugged in, you MUST output your audio via the Genesis headphone jack and route it straight to your stereo, though the RF connection will also output the audio (though only the left channel).

PsychoMistress
05-16-2006, 09:24 PM
If the mixing cable is plugged into the Sega CD, then the Sega CD outputs all audio via the RCA jacks on the back of the CD unit. If you have a minijack to RCA cable coming out of the headphone jack, ONLY the Genesis-generated audio will be output and none of the Sega CD audio (many Sega CD games use the Genesis sound chip to generate some of the audio). If you remove the mixing cable, ALL of the audio is output via the Genesis headphone jack, Genesis and Sega CD.

The mixing cable is supposed to take the audio from the Genesis headphone jack and route it through the Sega CD (the mixing jack is an input) so you can output via the RCA jacks. So in conclusion:

-If you have a cable going from the Genesis headphone jack to the mixing jack on the Sega CD, you MUST output your audio from the Sega CD RCA jacks. Leave the Sega CD RCA jacks alone in this case and don't hook them up to anything.

-If you do NOT have a mixing jack plugged in, you MUST output your audio via the Genesis headphone jack and route it straight to your stereo, though the RF connection will also output the audio (though only the left channel).

I have RCA cables going from the back of my Sega CD to my receiver.

With no RCA cables and no Mixing cable, I get no sound at all....Just a loud humming sound from my TV. Or, randomly I may get distorted sound...Both channels.

With RCA cables hooked up to my receiver (Video instead of TV/DBS jacks), I get 1 channel of sound plus hum.

With RCA cables and Mixing cable, I get both channels of sound plus loud hum if Mixing cable is pushed all the way in.

Sorry if I wasn't very clear earlier...It gets kinda confusing if I think too hard about it. I know with the Genesis model 1, I must have the Mixing cable to get both channels of sound.

There are either 2 things going on here. Either my Mixing Jack is going bad and causing that humming, or I have a bad ground that is temporarily fixed by playing with the Mixing cable. I hope its not the jack or then I would really have to replace the whole system :(

Joe Redifer
05-17-2006, 01:02 AM
Sounds to me like your headphone jack on your Genesis 1 is messed up. ALL SOUND, including the CD sound, can be output from that as long as the mixing cable is not used.

PsychoMistress
05-17-2006, 08:36 AM
I don't understand. How can the headphone jack affect anything if it's not in use?

I plugged headphones into the headphone jack. I get full sound.

Joe Redifer
05-17-2006, 02:56 PM
Well obviously I am not understanding what you are saying. If you get full sound via the headphone jack, go down to Radio Shack or Wal*Mart or the like and buy a cable that has a headphone plug on one end and two RCA male plugs on the other end. Plug one end into your Genesis headphon jack. Plug the other end into your stereo system. Problem solved.

Do NOT plug ANYTHING into the mixing jack on the Sega CD. The mixing jack is ONLY EVER to be used coming straight from the headhone jack.

PsychoMistress
05-17-2006, 06:00 PM
Well obviously I am not understanding what you are saying. If you get full sound via the headphone jack, go down to Radio Shack or Wal*Mart or the like and buy a cable that has a headphone plug on one end and two RCA male plugs on the other end. Plug one end into your Genesis headphon jack. Plug the other end into your stereo system. Problem solved.

Do NOT plug ANYTHING into the mixing jack on the Sega CD. The mixing jack is ONLY EVER to be used coming straight from the headhone jack.

I have to use the mixing jack. Where else am I gonna put my Mixing cable?

Just to clarify:

Mixing cable going from headphone jack to mixing jack, and then RCA going from Sega CD to receiver.

Joe Redifer
05-17-2006, 06:45 PM
You can do that but you don't HAVE to use the mixing cable. If you are having problems with the sound, yet you say you get full sound from the headphone jack (I would assume this means CD audio as well), then just do as I said and remove the mixing cable altogether and go from the heaphone jack straight to your stereo with a cable from Radio Shack/Wal*Mart, while making sure the Genesis volume is all the way up. I don't know how else to say it.

PsychoMistress
05-18-2006, 06:27 PM
I understand what you are saying.

That seems kind of generic tho. Surround sound coming from a headphone jack? Wouldn't I be sacrificing quality?

The hum comes from the headphone jack too, so it wouldn't make a bit of difference anyway.

Joe Redifer
05-18-2006, 07:14 PM
The Sega CD does not incorporate surround sound. It provides stereo. Left and right. That's it. I don't think any Sega CD games are encoded with the Dolby Surround 4:2:4 Pro Logic matrix. Some of them have Q-Sound which is pretty lame, and Q-Sound wants to use only two speakers.

You won't sacrifice any sound quality no matter which jack you come out of because it is the same exact sound either way.

PsychoMistress
05-19-2006, 09:29 PM
The Sega CD does not incorporate surround sound. It provides stereo. Left and right. That's it. I don't think any Sega CD games are encoded with the Dolby Surround 4:2:4 Pro Logic matrix. Some of them have Q-Sound which is pretty lame, and Q-Sound wants to use only two speakers.

You won't sacrifice any sound quality no matter which jack you come out of because it is the same exact sound either way.

It's probably my receiver then that is making the signal usable for all speakers.

But I get what ur saying tho. Once i get the hum fixed, I'll give that a try. I guess I'll have a wire sticking out in front one way or the other.

On an off note, is there any certain reason why most of the burning guides for ISO's say to use WAV files instead of MP3 files?

Joe Redifer
05-19-2006, 09:48 PM
I guess I'll have a wire sticking out in front one way or the other.
Yup, there's no way around that with a Genesis 1 if you want stereo sound. Not unless you mod your system.

I don't know what burning guides you are talking about, but the Sega CD cannot read MP3. WAVs converted to MP3s and back to WAV again are usually what happens, but when that occurs you're lucky to get everything laid in the same exact place as the original CD. Best not to screw with stuff just to save up/downloading time. It's not like 650MB is a lot of data anymore.

PsychoMistress
05-19-2006, 10:20 PM
The Sega CD can't read MP3s? Can't read them at all?

Does Nero automatically convert from MP3 to WAV then?

For most of the games I have been converting the MP3s to WAV, and then making the CUE file. I didn't see any options or evidence of Nero doing it, so I converted them manually.

But, I left the files as MP3s for Monkey Island just to see what would happen, and it worked fine.

So does that mean Nero is converting them and I should just let Nero do it?

David J.
05-19-2006, 10:23 PM
If you let Nero convert them it works a lot better. It is easier and in some cases, less errors.

PsychoMistress
05-19-2006, 10:28 PM
So nero does convert them then. No wonder Monkey Island worked.

Well, that shaves a lot of time off my game making.

I did notice on one game the speech was a little behind the words on the screen. That must be why.

Joe Redifer
05-19-2006, 10:36 PM
Yeah Nero will convert. But like you discovered, the audio may not be EXACTLY where it should be. If you have a bunch of spare CD-Rs you can try converting it yourself and see if that makes any difference. The problem is the WAV that comes from the encoded MP3 will never be the same exact length byte for byte as the original WAV file.

PsychoMistress
05-19-2006, 10:41 PM
And I suppose there's not much I can do for that.

I just made a second Popful Mail, with Nero doing the converting, to see if there is any noticable difference.

Edit: If there is a difference, it's incredibly small.

Joe Redifer
05-19-2006, 10:49 PM
Popful Mail only has 2 or 3CD tracks. You could burn that thing withut the MP3s or WAVS and still have a fully functional disc. The Genesis itself does most of the sound, with the Sega CD PCM doing just the drums and the voices.

PsychoMistress
05-20-2006, 09:28 AM
What would be a good game to try?

Joe Redifer
05-20-2006, 01:47 PM
Anything with lots of CD tracks. Sol Feace. Batman Returns. Etc. FMV games usually have NO CD tracks, other than to say "Do not play this disc in a CD player!".

PsychoMistress
05-22-2006, 02:50 PM
Well, I got a proper fuse put in there that doesn't touch anything else on the board, and it took care of that hum. Sound now comes through my tv and my theater system just like it should.

She's good as new now.

The original surface mount fuse is incredibly difficult to get a hold of, so if this happens to anyone else, you can order a PICO II 2.5A fuse that works just as good from partsexpress.com.

I have a few extras, since you can't order just one, so if anyone needs any I'd be glad to stick em in the mail.

As far as the music conversion for games, there is a delay in games with a lot of tracks.

I own an original ECCO: Tides of Time disc, which I play very often, so I downloaded the same game and tried it out for comparison using ISO + MP3.

The music for each stage starts about 2-3 seconds after when the original would start. This happens regardless of conversion method. ISO + MP3 just isn't ideal for a flawless copy.

Anyway, thanks for all the help,
Annette

Elusive
05-22-2006, 06:46 PM
Anything with lots of CD tracks. Sol Feace. Batman Returns. Etc. FMV games usually have NO CD tracks, other than to say "Do not play this disc in a CD player!".

My speakers have been irreperably damaged trying to play Track 1 in my boombox I will sue Sega for ten zillion nuyen :V

Anyhoo, ISO+MP3 doesn't cut it for making or burning 'backups' of Mega-CD games. It's like recording a CD onto a cassette, then transferring the casette onto your PC as another MP3. BIN+CUE 'backups' are bit-for-bit identical copies of the original CD, with the audio and data tracks stored in a single BIN file with the CUE sheet telling the CD burner how to burn it. Just about the only thing ISO 'backups' have over BIN+CUE 'backups' is their slightly smaller size. Although in these days of high-speed broadband access, that's not really an issue anyway so hah :)

edit: I wish Night Trap had the closing song available as a redbook audio track on the CD, I like it :/