PDA

View Full Version : DVD Shrink 3.2 problem

Ecco
06-03-2010, 04:31 PM
It rips most DVD's just fine, but certain DVD's will NOT be ripped, and I get this message:

DVD Shrink encountered an error and cannot continue.

Failed to read the file "D:\"

Data error (cyclic redundancy check).

I guess these few DVD's just have some extra security features that jam up the ripping process! Anyone familiar w/ this problem???

Disney movies seem to always do this. At the moment I was trying to rip Twilight (which I rented for my girlfriend), and it gave me that same error message. ^

06-03-2010, 04:34 PM
Twilight!

well thats why it error'd the PC has better taste than your misses.

WoodyXP
06-03-2010, 04:40 PM
That error translates into 'Buy your own DVDs, cheapass!!'. :lol:

Chilly Willy
06-03-2010, 07:10 PM
That error translates into 'Buy your own DVDs, cheapass!!'. :lol:

You're making unwarranted assumptions. I ALWAYS immediately rip my DVDs and BluRays so that I can play them on the computer and skip the damn commercials. If I want commercials, I'll watch public TV. :roll:

If you have kids, it's even more imperative that you rip your DVDs and BluRays - the kids WILL destroy any disc you let them play within a few days. One time, I found the damn disc ON THE EFFIN ROOF!!!

evildragon
06-03-2010, 07:13 PM
I usually use DVDFab to get around what DVD Shrink doesn't get.. Then if fab can't do it, there's another utility, but I don't like it and forget the name. It's on my laptop and I can check though.

Sparksterz
06-03-2010, 07:21 PM
If it had a crc error it's usually the case that the media is bad. In this case I'm guessing it may be scratched?

evildragon
06-03-2010, 07:25 PM
If it had a crc error it's usually the case that the media is bad. In this case I'm guessing it may be scratched?

Normally yes.

But I've seen some recent DVD's with improper filesystems, as it shows the DVD as like 90GB in size or something like that, which is impossible.

MN12BIRD
06-03-2010, 07:56 PM
DVD Shrink only has basic (and out dated) DVD decryption built in. Any modern DVD should cause it to halt.

You need a separate decrypter like AnyDVD to get around it. AnyDVD will run in the background in between your DVD Drive and software like DVD Shrink. Then as far as DVD Shrink is concerned there is no encryption on the DVD it's ripping.

AnyDVD also works with HD-DVD and Bluray and it will not only get rid of any encryption/CRC errors it also gets around region coding and macro-vision. Since it runs in the background it works with pretty much any DVD ripping software.

This will solve the issue.

Chilly Willy
06-03-2010, 08:22 PM
While AnyDVD works with DVD or HD, they are separate licenses and have separate fees. If you only get AnyDVD and not AnyDVDHD, HD media won't be supported.

MN12BIRD
06-03-2010, 08:27 PM
Oh yeah forgot I have AnyDVDHD. But I remember way back years ago I started to run into movies that would crap out randomly with DVDShrink and AnyDVD fixed it. I also used DVDDecryper witch can also rip movies and get around most encryption/CRC errors, region code and macrovision. It needs Nero to burn (as does DVDShrink) and IIRC it's a freebie but the user interface isn't as easy to follow as DVDShrink so I still used DVDShrink/AnyDVD.

evildragon
06-03-2010, 08:31 PM
I think AnyDVD was the program I couldn't remember, but I was using it with DVDFab.. I don't have "HD" version that's for sure.

fatboy
06-03-2010, 09:41 PM
Although I haven't done a hell of a lot with it, I've also used DVD Decrypter, and so far it's been pretty reliable.

Chilly Willy
06-03-2010, 10:36 PM
I normally rip with AnyDVD(HD)+DVDFab, then switch to linux and use handbrake to convert it to mkv/h.264.

MN12BIRD
06-03-2010, 10:45 PM
Handbrake kicks ass. Why do you switch to Linux to use Handbrake is the Linux version better or does it run better in Linux? Just wondering because I use the Windows version in Windows 7 and man it's nice. Gotta love free and open source programs like that.

I've used Handbrake to rip a few DVD's I already had to Divx (XBOX/XBMC doesn't handle mkv/h.264 quite so well) and it's awesome. I also used to to convert videos to MPEG4 for the PSP.

DVD Flick is another free program that I recommend you guys check out. It's a DVD authorizing program that lets you take most video formats (say a divx video you downloaded) and convert it to proper DVD format and burn a standard DVD. It seems to work with many formats I think I've even thrown flash video at it. You can make menus and chapters too but I haven't played with any of that yet.

Ecco
06-03-2010, 11:19 PM
I appreciate everyone's suggestions! :cool:

Nah scratches aren't the problem right now; I've got 2 almost perfect DVD's (both Twilight movies) and they both give me the "cyclic redundancy check" message, while most DVD's still can be ripped just fine. Seems to happen mostly on Disney movies and some other random big-budget films, which is why I thought it might be extra security features on rare DVD's...

Anyways it looks like I have more than enough diff. programs to try out now. :cool: Thanks guys!

Chilly Willy
06-03-2010, 11:48 PM
Handbrake kicks ass. Why do you switch to Linux to use Handbrake is the Linux version better or does it run better in Linux? Just wondering because I use the Windows version in Windows 7 and man it's nice. Gotta love free and open source programs like that.

I have a quad-core machine, and linux handles multi-threaded encoding better than Windows. It's very important when transcoding those 3 hour 1080p movies. :D

MN12BIRD
06-04-2010, 12:03 AM
Oh is it better than Windows 7 too? I know Windows 7 handles quad core multi threading much better than XP but given XP's age that shouldn't be a surprise really.

I like Linux and all but ended up using Windows more when I had dual boot XP/Ubuntu UE x64 but once I bought 7 HP x64 I just haven't bothered using Linux since. But I'm always tempted of course when new versions come out!

WoodyXP
06-04-2010, 04:25 AM
You're making unwarranted assumptions.

At the moment I was trying to rip Twilight (which I rented for my girlfriend), and it gave me that same error message. ^

LOL...Sometimes I wonder if you folks know how to read around here.

Chilly Willy
06-04-2010, 01:56 PM
Oh is it better than Windows 7 too? I know Windows 7 handles quad core multi threading much better than XP but given XP's age that shouldn't be a surprise really.

I like Linux and all but ended up using Windows more when I had dual boot XP/Ubuntu UE x64 but once I bought 7 HP x64 I just haven't bothered using Linux since. But I'm always tempted of course when new versions come out!

Well, I don't have Windows 7, and don't intend to get it either. :D

I imagine they probably improved that with the latest Windows, but XP isn't as good.

I've been using linux full-time for the last seven or eight years. It's certainly much better than XP. Can't say about 7 since I don't have it. I only ever use Windows for things like AnyDVD. For most modern games, I quit getting the PC version and get the PS3 version. :D

Xubuntu is my distro of choice right now. It's really nice... nice and light and speedy, but still all the goodies you come to expect from Gnome. I just updated to 10.4 a couple weeks ago. You could always try the live CD and see what you think. Or better, put it on an older system (so as not to disturb you main one) and just piddle around with it for a few weeks. Many people don't really use linux long enough to get a real feal for it. It's not the same as Windows, so just using it for a few minutes will just seem odd since things aren't done the same. People who use linux for a MONTH general don't go back.

Phosis
06-04-2010, 02:27 PM
I love Linux, and always have. I remember starting out with Linux Mandrake, way back when it still existed (I think it's called Mandriva now.)

It was an enormous pain in the ass for new users, especially since I didn't really understand how a computer worked, let alone an OS. I assumed that any screen without "graphics" was a horrible place to be, somewhere you would want to immediately escape from. Using and learning Linux changed my perspective a lot, and being booted to a command prompt was no longer an overwhelming death sentence.

Now, I use Ubuntu 9.10 or whatever, with Window Maker on my laptop. We just recently bought a desktop, and it is more of a higher end gaming machine, so I stick to Windows 7 for it, with no plans to use Linux on that one. I just don't have the time to tinker anymore, and if I turn it on, it's just to browse the net, or play some Call of Duty.

For people who like spending time in an OS, messing around with the innerworkings of it, Linux is a GREAT system to use. For people who just want to log on to Facebook every now and then, I suppose you could, but it would be such a hassle when every other computer out there comes loaded with Windows anyways.

The Jackal
06-05-2010, 10:53 AM
I use xDSL on my XBOX and I have to say, despite it's limitations, I don't want to go back to a Microsoft OS ever again, not after the train wreck that was Windows Vista.

MN12BIRD
06-05-2010, 12:12 PM
I use xDSL on my XBOX and I have to say, despite it's limitations, I don't want to go back to a Microsoft OS ever again, not after the train wreck that was Windows Vista.

Well I can tell you there's nothing wrong with Windows 7 and why do something on a slow XBOX drive with a slow 700MHZ CPU that a modern multi core PC can do probably 10 times faster and with more options to yield a better quality/compression?

The Jackal
06-05-2010, 12:58 PM
I use xDSL for casual internet surfing and typing docs, for everything else I use my Toshiba laptop with bullshit Vista...

You might be right with W7, but right now I'm happy with my 700mhz cpu Xbox...

MN12BIRD
06-05-2010, 02:24 PM
Oh I gotcha. I thought you meant xDSL was like a DVD ripper/encoding thing for the XBOX.

The Jackal
06-05-2010, 02:42 PM
Oh I gotcha. I thought you meant xDSL was like a DVD ripper/encoding thing for the XBOX.

It's Linux for the Xbox - XDSL stands for X(box) Damn Small Linux, it's only 50mb in size and with my puny 8 gig hard drive, it's the best I can do now.

In the future, I'm gonna replace the hard drive with a much bigger one and then get a better Linux distro...

MN12BIRD
06-05-2010, 03:03 PM
Yeah I've got a 320GB HD in my XBOX that I use with XBMC as my main means of watching media on my TV but truth is I end up streaming everything off the PC since it has everything on it and it's usually on anyway. It just seems like a waste of time to FTP a movie over just to watch it when I can just stream my entire PC's worth of media instantly. So I sorta wish I just kept the stock 8.4GB HD in the XBOX since I'm not even using the extra storage.