PDA

View Full Version : Darxide in ebay lot

o1s1n
07-14-2010, 07:07 PM
Apologies if it has already been posted, I haven't seen it anywhere.

Anyway, I stumbled across a Megadrive/32X/cd combo lot ending soon which was at a really stupidly high price.

Till I looked through the games list.

Check out game number 2. Just thrown in there as if it's any old title -

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=230498150239

07-14-2010, 07:31 PM
How the shit balls has that gotten so high?!?

I have it in my watched from when it was at like 20! I remember wondering why an SMS was behind it!

what makes it worse is the state of the consoles.

o1s1n
07-14-2010, 07:46 PM
That only way that could have gotten that high is from people randomly browsing ebay for Megadrive stuff and going 'Holy shitballs! DARXIDE! BID BID BID!'

Just think, he could have put that up with a low buy it now price. Someone could have been very very lucky.

Anyway, I hope he gets what it's worth. Given the condition of the consoles, I wonder what nick the game is in.

Da_Shocker
07-15-2010, 12:50 AM
His shit is in terrible conditon.

Guntz
07-15-2010, 12:54 AM
Someone should have asked for pics of the games, or at least Darxide before bidding like mad. You can only trust text so far...

Xeniczone
07-15-2010, 12:07 PM
Someone should have asked for pics of the games, or at least Darxide before bidding like mad. You can only trust text so far...

Yeah it could have been a replica cart for all they knew, and thats a lot of faith to put $1024 into.

Jasper061992
07-15-2010, 12:44 PM
Meh, those consoles are in a right state. Also where the @&%# is the 32x label?! And no Darxide pic for evidence, for all that high??!! = NO Sale!

Guntz
07-15-2010, 02:14 PM
Yeah it could have been a replica cart for all they knew, and thats a lot of faith to put $1024 into.

That Darxide cart might not actually be in the auction for all you know. Lots of people choose photo evidence over text any day.

Silanda
07-15-2010, 02:26 PM
Meh, those consoles are in a right state. Also where the @&%# is the 32x label?! And no Darxide pic for evidence, for all that high??!! = NO Sale!

Also the consoles, along with a Master System and a Saturn, are in a glass cabinet. Kind of like the type Gamestation had when they were selling a lot of retro stuff. Very odd.

o1s1n
07-15-2010, 02:28 PM
Think about it though, it's a bit odd if he was trying to rip people off.

No mention of Darxide in the title.

No 'fake' picture of the game.

Darxide is mentioned after Comix Zone.

It's the exact opposite of what someone who was trying to rip you off would do. Unless it's some mad double bluff, but I seriously doubt it.

I sent him an email when it was at the 500 sterling point (Way more than I could currently bid) just mentioning the rarity of the game to him. Here's his response -

Dear XXXX,

WHAT!?!

- zur-en-arrh

Sounds like geniune suprise to me :D

Jasper061992
07-15-2010, 02:36 PM
I can see whoever wins this auction just pays for the Darxide game alone and tossing the consoles aside...

SpaceFlea
07-15-2010, 06:15 PM
If DarXide is complete and in good condition that winning bidder got quite the steal. The last complete DarXide I saw (a few months ago) sold for $1350 (to me none the less). Which is within $100 of the same price it has sold for the last 4 times on eBay. So congrats to the bidder!!!

Darxide is mentioned after Comix Zone.

Well silly he was listing the games in lexicographical order. So of course it would be after Comix Zone. :p

Guntz
07-15-2010, 06:21 PM
I really doubt that Darxide is CIB SpaceFlea, but I would love it if the winner would post here and prove me wrong. :D

Xeniczone
07-15-2010, 10:01 PM

I looked around and I can't find one of my 32Xs, I have 3 of them and I can't find any of them how dumb is that.

Anywho, if my memory serves me right the 32X logo was just silicon printed, or as Ziljian calls it 'the kiss', onto the 32X. So it could easily be removed with some rubbing alcohol.

SEGA.GENESIS1989
07-16-2010, 12:06 AM
EGAD! 1k+ ... for a game? Totally lunacy!

SpaceFlea
07-16-2010, 12:23 AM
EGAD! 1k+ ... for a game? Totally lunacy!

When dedicated to insanity everything is lunacy.

Lunacy is practically a requirement for a collector. Hell, my collecting is driven by OCD and it wholly consumes me. The hunger is never satisfied. We're like zombies who crave games.

Lastcallhall
07-20-2010, 02:45 PM
The last complete DarXide I saw (a few months ago) sold for $1350 (to me none the less).

Wait a minute... you actually paid 1350.00 for a copy of DarXide? Wow. I'm all for collecting and everything; I've already resigned myself to knowing that one day I'm going to have to bite the 150.00 bullet for a complete copy of Spider Man & The Web of Fire to complete my 32x collection, but I can't ever see myself justifying spending over a grand for a game.

:daze:

Zebbe
07-20-2010, 03:28 PM
My friend wasted about a $1000 at a party weekend. I invested even more money on a Primal Rage game. That weekend is over, my game is still on my shelf. Doing such insane things feels good. It made me start thinking I must do more crazy things. After all, I only have one life - this isn't a friggin' video game with unlimited continues!

Tears of Ash
07-20-2010, 05:08 PM
Is the game worth playing, though?

Zebbe
07-20-2010, 05:29 PM
Oh yes, it's definitely a top 5 fighter for the 32X.

highlandcattle
07-20-2010, 06:20 PM
My friend wasted about a $1000 at a party weekend. I invested even more money on a Primal Rage game. That weekend is over, my game is still on my shelf. Doing such insane things feels good. It made me start thinking I must do more crazy things. After all, I only have one life - this isn't a friggin' video game with unlimited continues!

WHat primal rage version is worth that much?

Zebbe
07-20-2010, 06:35 PM
No version is, but I paid so much for the PAL 32X version because I'm insane.

cheaterdragon1
07-20-2010, 06:42 PM
No version is, but I paid so much for the PAL 32X version because I'm insane.

Hey I got an Complete NTSC Sonic 2. Will you pay $1000 for it?

Edit: I just did an Ebay search and someone is selling a complete copy for $19!!! Why did you pay so much?

07-20-2010, 06:44 PM
ive a complete Batman & Robin, il sell it yous for a cool $1000

SpaceFlea
07-20-2010, 09:54 PM
Edit: I just did an Ebay search and someone is selling a complete copy for $19!!! Why did you pay so much?

For Primal Rage... That's a riot! :p One did just sell (only the third in 2.5 years), but it most certainly was not $19. If it did slip under the radar, then the seller was beyond incredibly stupid.

We definitely need a collectors zone for these discussions (or perhaps we do and I've missed it all this time). I don't think anyone but other collectors will ever understand why we do what we do. Still, people don't need to be insulting just because they don't understand. But I'm curious if everyone is truly that ignorant or just stirring the pot. It's disappointing either way really.

Guntz
07-20-2010, 10:24 PM
I don't think you guys ever specified that only a handful of copies of PAL Primal Rage are known to exist.

You know what the stupidest thing is? Another game only available in a handful of copies, PAL Kizuna Encounter, is valued at about $12,000. I bet you that PAL Primal Rage and T-Mek are far more rare than Kizuna, but why is Kizuna worth so much more? Because it's on NEO-GEO. 32X barely has a collector's scene, so many of the rarest of the rare are barely worth anything compared to less rare games on more popular systems. It kinda irks me that the 32X probably won't ever get rid of it's bad stigma and gain a respectable collecting scene, like Virtual Boy.

Maybe it's for the best, because people here can get the rarities for far cheaper, but the trade-off is a general consensus of the 32X being total garbage. :(

cheaterdragon1
07-20-2010, 11:31 PM
For Primal Rage... That's a riot! :p One did just sell (only the third in 2.5 years), but it most certainly was not $19. If it did slip under the radar, then the seller was beyond incredibly stupid.

We definitely need a collectors zone for these discussions (or perhaps we do and I've missed it all this time). I don't think anyone but other collectors will ever understand why we do what we do. Still, people don't need to be insulting just because they don't understand. But I'm curious if everyone is truly that ignorant or just stirring the pot. It's disappointing either way really.

My bad the auction ended already but it was an NTSC version. There's still plently of NTSC version's for $31-$37. I didn't know the PAL version was rare though.

SpaceFlea
07-20-2010, 11:42 PM
Exposure FTW!

The simple, sad, and painfully basic truth:
More people talk about Kizuna > more people learn about it > more people look for it > and when found, more people (collectors + investors + stupid people who don't know why they're doing it) bid on it > exploding costs. We all witnessed this series of events a few months back with the explosion of Stadium Events sales because of Yahoo's deluge of articles pertaining to it - which by the end (about three weeks later) were selling for almost half what they started at (from $13k down to $8.5k).

But really, Kizuna is probably a little rarer than these two. Though I don't think anyone has solid numbers on Primal Rage and T-Mek. I know I've only seen Primal Rage three times in 2.5 years (all complete). I've only seen T-Mek twice (once complete, once cart only), and I've only heard of it one other time complete. I've never seen Kizuna, but the again, I've never looked for it - so that's nothing to go off of. The others I looked for constantly.

I'm perfectly fine with Primal Rage and T-Mek being kept under wraps for now - at least until I get Primal Rage and Zebbe gets T-Mek, then everyone is welcome to break it to the world.

cyberguile
07-21-2010, 03:15 AM
I have seen pictures of 19 different copies of primal rage (including two factory sealed !), which makes it to 20 with the copy that was this week on ebay which didn't have a picture (and if this one wasn't one of the previous 19)
I have seen pictures of 10 different copies of kizuna encounter

So I suppose kizuna is rarer than primal rage

But... that's still not many in 10 years lol
And as far as I'm concerned, T-mek is rarer than primal rage (have seen 13 copies of it)

Xeniczone
07-21-2010, 03:35 AM
I don't think you guys ever specified that only a handful of copies of PAL Primal Rage are known to exist.

You know what the stupidest thing is? Another game only available in a handful of copies, PAL Kizuna Encounter, is valued at about $12,000. I bet you that PAL Primal Rage and T-Mek are far more rare than Kizuna, but why is Kizuna worth so much more? Because it's on NEO-GEO. 32X barely has a collector's scene, so many of the rarest of the rare are barely worth anything compared to less rare games on more popular systems. It kinda irks me that the 32X probably won't ever get rid of it's bad stigma and gain a respectable collecting scene, like Virtual Boy.

Maybe it's for the best, because people here can get the rarities for far cheaper, but the trade-off is a general consensus of the 32X being total garbage. :(

It is all about popularity. I recently bought All-Star 97 CIB for the Sega Saturn. Which is just as rare as Panzer Dragoon Saga, but PDS Complete goes for 200 dollars and All-Star 97 Complete goes for 5-15 dollars.

SpaceFlea
07-21-2010, 12:45 PM
I have seen pictures of 19 different copies of primal rage (including two factory sealed !), which makes it to 20 with the copy that was this week on ebay which didn't have a picture (and if this one wasn't one of the previous 19)
I have seen pictures of 10 different copies of kizuna encounter

So I suppose kizuna is rarer than primal rage

But... that's still not many in 10 years lol
And as far as I'm concerned, T-mek is rarer than primal rage (have seen 13 copies of it)

Excellent! Please tell me you kept the price records on these (assuming they were auctions). I like to keep track of this stuff, and it would be nice to have 10 years of records rather than just 2 since I gained interest in them. The seller of the most recent Primal Rage sold it for a mere $685. I wonder if they just didn't realize they could get twice that (per the last two), or if they just didn't care. Makes me wish I had put in an offer. :bang:

Tears of Ash
07-22-2010, 05:53 PM
Oh yes, it's definitely a top 5 fighter for the 32X.

buh. I thought it was a space-shooter for some reason.