PDA

View Full Version : Hardest Genesis Games?

Genesis#1FanGirl
08-09-2010, 08:14 PM
What do you guys think the hardest game for the Sega Genesis is?

For me it has got to be Chakan: The Forever Man

That game is so dam hard!!!!!

cheaterdragon1
08-09-2010, 08:16 PM
Action 52 for all the wrong reasons. I can't make it past the first level on Ooze or Cheetamen.

Joe Redifer
08-09-2010, 08:17 PM
Sword of Sodan, mainly because playing it with the controller plugged in is like playing it with the controller unplugged. Whoever coded the controls was incompetent.

NeoVamp
08-09-2010, 08:28 PM
Eternal Champions, but only because i can't be bothered to learn the patterns to every fighter.

djshok
08-09-2010, 08:49 PM
Dude, Battletoads. Seriously, has anyone actually beat that on real hardware without epic cheating.

Ace
08-09-2010, 09:10 PM
The US version of Contra Hard Corps. Holy crap, it's insane.

djshok
08-09-2010, 09:34 PM
The US version of Contra Hard Corps. Holy crap, it's insane.

Yeah that game's pretty hardcore, though I used to be able to beat when I was a kid. I've never met or even heard of anyone that could beat the Genesis Battletoads game.

joshvox
08-09-2010, 10:09 PM
Haven't played anywhere near the number of games most of you have (had only a few as a kid and just got back into genesis), but the hardest game I've played so far is The Adventures of Batman and Robin.

Quanto
08-09-2010, 10:12 PM
I always thought Rocket Knight Adventures was friggin hard, I never beat it myself, but I thoroughly enjoyed watching my brother beat it all of 2 times.

Ace
08-09-2010, 10:16 PM
Yeah that game's pretty hardcore, though I used to be able to beat when I was a kid. I've never met or even heard of anyone that could beat the Genesis Battletoads game.

I've never played Battletoads, but I will say that Contra Hard Crops is the most brutal Contra game I've ever played, right alongside Contra Shattered Soldier for the PlayStation 2. Both are the most brutal Contra games out there.

Nunzio
08-09-2010, 10:16 PM
Batman Returns. I think it's a toss up with Adventures of Batman and Robin because I can't beat either one! I did put some serious time into Batman Returns though and it was a fruitless effort.

I also find Hellfire to be aptly named.

kokujin
08-09-2010, 10:24 PM
Batman and Robin, El Viento:bang:,Granada,Contra Hard Corps.There are plenty of difficult games, but some games are just broken.

goldenegg
08-09-2010, 10:48 PM
The hardest game has to be Target Earth. That game's ridiculous!

Sega Genesis
08-09-2010, 11:00 PM
Yes Contra Hard Corps and Target Earth first come to mind.

cowboyscowboys
08-09-2010, 11:04 PM
Me and my brother never got past the first vehicle part in Battletoads yet we would constantly play up until that point. It's weird I tried to play the Nes version a month or so ago and the first vehicle part is insanely hard even with it completely memorized. Really if it weren't for the memories and the CIB like new condition the game is in I would smash it.

Contra is another game were me and my bro would play the first 5 mins of the game over and over never got close to beating it.

Assman
08-09-2010, 11:29 PM
Haven't played anywhere near the number of games most of you have (had only a few as a kid and just got back into genesis), but the hardest game I've played so far is The Adventures of Batman and Robin.

My play time with this game is somewhat limited, but I'd pretty much have to agree. I can't get past the first boss in that game. God damn brutal, man.

roundwars
08-10-2010, 04:24 AM
Not all these games are necessarily "the hardest," but they're a sampling of what comes to mind when people say the Genesis has a reputation for having hard games.

Chakan
Kid Chameleon
Comix Zone
Gaiares
Dynamite Headdy
Sonic Spinball
Ecco
Sub-Terrania
Adventures of Batman and Robin
Contra Hard Corps

Maybe some RPGs should be on the list too.

Zork
08-10-2010, 05:10 AM
Shadow of the Beast and Eternal Champions are my hardest games.
I can at least get somewhere in SoE at least, I can't even win one fight in Eternal Champions.

Zebbe
08-10-2010, 05:26 AM
Dynamite Headdy (western version) - It goes well until that boss with the arms who jumps around and kidnaps the girl before the fight. I have beat it, but only about two times. Then I die on the next level.

Eliminate Down - If you die, you lose a weapon level, and then it's even harder. I've only made it to level 5 or so, I need to play it again.

Strider Hiryu - Often it seems like luck is a big factor in playing this game.

Castlevania Bloodlines - Mostly because of the annoying, dated even at release, controls.

TmEE
08-10-2010, 05:38 AM
Verytex... well, the last boss of it
Undead Line is rather challenging

Loggo
08-10-2010, 05:55 AM
Sub-Terrania isn’t actually as hard as most people think.

Once you master the controls (which are great actually) and learn to coexist with the gravity mechanics, 50% of the difficulty is actually gone. The only truly difficult part of the game is from stage 7 and beyond, where the gravity is incredibly strong and you have to get into water with the pressure giving you a really hard time.

I personally get to stage 7 without losing a single life.

The hardest part of the game is passing its learning curve test, once you learn how to play, everything is different.

Mr Smith
08-10-2010, 06:35 AM
Lemmings pisses me off.

sheath
08-10-2010, 08:31 AM
You think that's hard? Try beating Toejam & Earl on random world enough times to see everything!

john8248
08-10-2010, 12:41 PM
Chakan may be impossible. Target Earth is next to impossible. That said, one game casts a dark shadow over all others. A game so unbelivably vile, it's been banished into Genesis / Mega Drive obscurity for all of eternity. Who dares to unleash THE hardest game of all time:

http://image.com.com/gamespot/images/bigboxshots/8/932228_73966_front.jpg

There is absolutely NO chance that anyone's ever finished Whac-A-Critter without cheating. Think I'm kidding? Go ahead - try it. You'll bear witness to a heartbroken dog...and there's nothing you can do to help it. Beware!

Also of note: the Ecco games are pretty hard.

djshok
08-10-2010, 12:51 PM
That's some decent lists here but I still say that Battletoads is THE hardest game. I'm pretty sure it's actually meant to be unbeatable. My wife beat it once after a tortuous emulator session involving countless save states, and apparently the ending you get is less than spectacular.

kokujin
08-10-2010, 12:54 PM
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/d/d9/Red_Zone_cover.jpg
Has anyone beaten this game before,I think it's harder than Contra HC.

JFLY
08-10-2010, 01:10 PM
Undead Line is rather challenging
+1. I can't anywhere in this game and I consider myself very good at shooters.

Zebbe
08-10-2010, 01:25 PM
I have beaten Undeadline on normal difficulty :).

MightyJayM
08-10-2010, 01:30 PM
Same as everybody : Battletoads (never got past the rat race), Chakan, Kid Chameleon, Contra. I tried Undeadline on emulator some time ago, and couldn't get past the first level.

As for RPGs, Phantasy Star II. Unless countless level-grinding is involved. And even so, the dungeons are a hell to navigate through.

Christuserloeser
08-10-2010, 01:30 PM
I remember playing Ecco for months but only ever made it halfway into the game IIRC.

john8248
08-10-2010, 02:17 PM
Alien Soldier. No mercy.

ace3093
08-10-2010, 09:08 PM
I think Gaiares is one of the hardest games I have ever played. I was only ever able to beat it with the invincible cheat.

Sega Genesis
08-10-2010, 10:51 PM
Eternal Champions is easy. All you have to do is choose a character and play it for 1,000 hours over 10 years. It worked for me.;)

The Sports Guy
08-10-2010, 10:53 PM
Alien Soldier by far is the hardest game I've ever played, but I'm actually terrible at most non-sports games.

SpaceFlea
08-11-2010, 12:07 AM
Chakan may be impossible. Target Earth is next to impossible. That said, one game casts a dark shadow over all others. A game so unbelivably vile, it's been banished into Genesis / Mega Drive obscurity for all of eternity. Who dares to unleash THE hardest game of all time:

http://image.com.com/gamespot/images/bigboxshots/8/932228_73966_front.jpg

There is absolutely NO chance that anyone's ever finished Whac-A-Critter without cheating. Think I'm kidding? Go ahead - try it. You'll bear witness to a heartbroken dog...and there's nothing you can do to help it. Beware!

Also of note: the Ecco games are pretty hard.

Aw c'mon now... the game isn't that bad when you have the legendary/incredibly rare official mallet legend controller ;). But you've done your job to encourage me to pop it in and give it another go :p.

http://i456.photobucket.com/albums/qq284/SpaceFlea/001-2.jpg

Though, if I break the controller in frustration, I'm coming after you!!! Because everyone knows it's your fault...

vintagegamecrazy
08-11-2010, 12:40 AM
Where on earth did you get that controller from?????!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I almost thought those didn't exist, that may be the rarest Genesis accessory in existence! That game is friggin insane to beat I will agree. What version of the game do you have? I've never seen that label before. Wanna sell it? I'll buy.

I've beaten Battletoads many times without cheating and even without continuing before. It's a hard game but not the hardest by far! I can also say that Chakan isn't the hardest either, I've almost finished that game before. Most shmups are pretty hard but beatable. Last Action Hero comes to mind as truly hard due to poor mechanics.

john8248
08-11-2010, 01:44 AM
Aw c'mon now... the game isn't that bad when you have the legendary/incredibly rare official mallet legend controller ;)

A scant few know the "joy" of playing Whac-A-Critter / Mallet Legend with the official controller. I'll take your word for it. For what it's worth, I'd come to believe that said peripheral was never released. Cool to see it!

Though, if I break the controller in frustration, I'm coming after you!!! Because everyone knows it's your fault...

Maybe you should have that controller bronzed.

Last Action Hero comes to mind as truly hard due to poor mechanics.

Let's nominate the entire Sony Imagesoft Beat 'Em Up crapfest trilogy:

- Last Action Hero
- Cliffhanger (with the Battletoads-esque "dodge everything" avalanche levels)
- Cutthroat Island (with the SAME crappy "dodge everything" levels, except you're going downhill)

...and while we're at it, their unreleased movie-to-turd CONGO also is all about dodging stuff with broken controls. At least that one never saw the light of day.

The Coop
08-11-2010, 02:12 AM
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/d/d9/Red_Zone_cover.jpg
Has anyone beaten this game before,I think it's harder than Contra HC.

**raises hand**

I've beaten that, Contra: Hard Corps, Target Earth, El-Viento, Sub-Terrania, Undeadline, both Eccos, Eternal Champions, Sword of Sodan, The Adventures of Batman and Robin, Granada, Verytex, Shadow of the Beast, and a number of others that've been listed. I even came within a gnat's ass hair of beating Rocket Knight Adventures on the hardest setting (ran out of lives at the first form of the final boss).

The one that frustrated the living piss out of me? Road Rash. I got to level 5 with three races left, and I could not get 4th place or better on them. I was stuck there for years until I got a Game Genie and just ended my suffering with a code to the head.

djhotwheel
08-11-2010, 02:19 AM
Gunstar Hero's was always a tuffy for me. Easy at first but, harder near the end.

jefis
08-11-2010, 02:51 AM
Both Ecco's are extremely difficult.
Well maybe I haven't really ever played it more than 20 minutes, but still.

And Battletoads are hard, but the rat race isn't so difficult as most of you say. I've beaten it every time I play.

Most of the shmups are pretty hard for me...

QuickSciFi
08-11-2010, 03:06 AM
Yup. Most shmups are pretty hardcore. Those and F'ing Ghouls 'N Ghosts.

The Coop
08-11-2010, 03:28 AM
Both Ecco's are extremely difficult.
Well maybe I haven't really ever played it more than 20 minutes, but still.

The last couple of levels in Ecco 1 are what ramps up the game's difficulty. That maze of water in the air, and maneuvering your way through the machine, both border on maddening.

Ecco 2 wasn't as bad overall I thought in terms of difficulty.

ItellYaHuat
08-11-2010, 03:55 AM
Gotta go with Contra on this one. Hard as hell. Fun... but hard.

jefis
08-11-2010, 04:41 AM
Gotta go with Contra on this one. Hard as hell. Fun... but hard.

I got the version with 3 lives, so i can't really agree. It was tough with 3 lives, but it's beatable. I've done it many times.

JackieBogard
08-11-2010, 05:40 AM
I always thought Risky Woods was hard.

SpaceFlea
08-11-2010, 09:34 AM
Where on earth did you get that controller from?????!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I almost thought those didn't exist, that may be the rarest Genesis accessory in existence! That game is friggin insane to beat I will agree. What version of the game do you have? I've never seen that label before. Wanna sell it? I'll buy.

I snagged it off of eBay a year or so ago. The first of just two to appear for sale thus far - at least that's what I've found from searching the almighty google. If you search for "mallet legend controller" you will find a lot of forum posts of some guy trying to sell the second one; and people referring back to the one I purchased. I definitely won't sell it. It's one of my most cherrished items. That is, unless you plan on buying me a house ;), then I might part with it. The version of "Whac-a-Critter" that comes with it is in fact "Mallet Legend."

I must say, no thread has ever made me want to play more games than this one. Every time someone says a particular game is impossibly difficult I just get all giddy and want to pop it in and take a hack. Keep 'em coming - this is exciting!

Jibbajaba
08-11-2010, 01:16 PM
The hardest game that I can think of that's still worth playing is Contra Hard Corps. It's easy enough to rattle off a list of games that are hard because they were designed or coded poorly. Contra is an excellent game that is just brutal. The only thing I don't understand is why it is harder than the Japanese version, when the reverse is usually true. Shouldn't the Japanese version feature one-hit kills, with the life bar added for the wussy Americans? I used to think the game was just really challenging, but when I found out about the life bar thing, the game dropped a few notches in my book.

Chris

sheath
08-11-2010, 02:07 PM
Revenge of Shinobi, Shadow Dancer and Shinobi III with no shurikens on the hardest difficulty. That be some of the best gaming beatings I have ever taken.

roundwars
08-11-2010, 05:33 PM
The only thing I don't understand is why it is harder than the Japanese version, when the reverse is usually true. Shouldn't the Japanese version feature one-hit kills, with the life bar added for the wussy Americans?

It's probably the same situation as Dynamite Headdy; they ramped up the difficulty so that the game couldn't be beaten within a single rental period, thus encouraging people to buy instead of rent. Game rentals were not prominent in Japan, but were common in the US, so in some cases developers felt that the best way to account for this difference was to release a more difficult version in the US than in Japan. I'm not sure CHC and DH actually sold more as a result though; they might have been more popular if they had been more accessible.

djshok
08-11-2010, 07:50 PM
I've beaten Battletoads many times without cheating and even without continuing before.

WHAT?! Are you bloody serious? I always thought that game was just broken and couldn't be beat. Dude WTF how long have you been playing it for before you beat it?