PDA

View Full Version : Your favorite Sega-CD game?

Melf
06-27-2005, 05:16 PM
I'm torn between Popful Mail and Android Assault. There are so many cool games available, but these two really stand out for me.

What's yours?

Vicman
06-27-2005, 08:05 PM
Snatcher!

It's one of my fav games of all time. I just can't get enough of the Blade Runner/cyber-punk feel to the game, the late 80's era anime style, the 80's style jazz & techno music, the in game humor, or the violence and gore that was ever so missing from the majority of games back then. It was a mature game in a time when few truly mature games abounded, at least in my experience looking back at the timeframe. It was Snatcher that got me interested in the Sega CD at all, and what's made me want to push through playing Policenauts with a script by my side.
8)

Anonymous
06-27-2005, 10:45 PM
Hmmm, I'm a BIG Sega/Mega CD collector, so this one's hard for me. I'd have to say a tie between Snatcher and Lunar: EB and coming close behind them Urusei Yatsura, Yumimi Mix and 3x3 Eyes for the Mega CD. The one thing about all those games is that they all showed what the Sega CD was truly capable of in the right hands (great game, awesome music, more colors, less loading, etc.). On a side not, after getting my Genny modded to S-Video awhile back, Snatcher, Lunar: EB and all my Sega CDs look even MORE beautiful now (but especially Snatcher and Lunar). *sigh* My Sega CD and Wondermega....ow I love you guys *hugs his systems* :)

Melf
06-28-2005, 12:56 AM
Genny + s-video = joygasm. :)

kraftwerks
06-28-2005, 11:05 AM
I'd have to go with Lunar.
While Lunar EB for all intents and purposes is the better game (except that stupid spend experience to save scheme); it was Lunar that made me proud to have a Sega CD. The music, cut scenes, and humor all gelled together in one massive RPG funfest. That game made me a Working Designs whore for years to come. That whoredom has since rubbe off, but still...

Zerodash
06-28-2005, 01:51 PM
Eternal Champions. There are lots of things to love about it- graphics, depth, and interesting game modes (tug of war is awesome). Too bad the music is dull and there are only, like, 3 sound effects.

Dartagnan1083
06-28-2005, 04:20 PM
Lunar EB
My Favorite game of all time.
Pitty that the PSX/SAT Remake crapped on the Battle system, Spell System, several dungeons, Several bosses, and the Inventory system. Although it did flesh out the story quite well.

Dyne
06-28-2005, 10:38 PM
i've always had a spot for the Lunar games (suprise) and Willy Beamish.

LiquidSnake
06-29-2005, 02:11 AM
I always WANTED to like Willy Beamish but there was one, and only one, factor that stopped my love for it...the HORRIFIC loading issues! They were some of the worst on the Sega CD. Other than that, I also thought it was a nice game...
As for the Lunar: EB remake, I agree how they dropped the ball on a number of changes (dungeons, redone battle sytem, etc.) but two things stand out for me. One is that they actually deleted a few anime cutscenes from the original. Why??!!! Secondly, I love the new anime cutscenes (except for some horrible graininess), but, call me crazy, I still prefer the original ones! I just played through the original again and still prefer them. I guess it something that always hits me as those scenes (plus pretty much any Game Arts game that had anime scenes like Yumimi and Urusei) really showed what the system can do. Hey....at least the remake kept the original score (albeit butchered in some cases), unlike the original Lunar.....

Electroman
06-30-2005, 02:05 PM
In order:

1.) Lords of Thunder
2.) Snatcher
3.) Terminator
4.) Android Assault
5.) Final Fight CD

Mel
06-30-2005, 04:49 PM
ahh crap, now im going to go rebuy a segacd system... I miss SonicCD... <sob>

j_factor
07-01-2005, 12:01 AM
I'd have to say Battlecorps.. it's so intensely fun. Although, pretty much anything by Core Design is seriously rockin'.

Electroman
07-01-2005, 08:27 AM
I'd have to say Battlecorps.. it's so intensely fun. Although, pretty much anything by Core Design is seriously rockin'.

With exception to how hard Battlecorps and Soulstar was, I liked them both. Well especially Soulstar. The soundtrack was to die for.

I'll say one thing about Sega's audio efforts; many of their games while crappy had incredible audio.

Mustadio
07-03-2005, 08:05 PM
My favorite Sega CD game is Snatcher.

Runner-ups:
Sonic CD (my favorite Sonic game)
Robo Aleste
Lunar Eternal Blue
Dark Wizard

Melf
07-03-2005, 11:56 PM

How does Battlecorps play? I keep mixing it up with Battletech whenever someone mentions it.

Mel, you could always buy the Sonic Gems Collection to play Sonic CD.

Mel
07-04-2005, 12:55 AM
I just lost a bid on ebay for my segacd <sob> ... it'll have to wait till the next paycheck though.

j_factor
07-04-2005, 09:05 PM
Battlecorps is kind of like Battletech. It's a first-person mech game. It strikes the perfect balance between simulation and action-packed gameplay. The graphics are excellent and the numerous voice samples are quite funny. It's got all the nice touches Core games tend to have.

Melf
07-05-2005, 01:45 AM
Darn, I'm going to have to check it out then. Another obscure title to add to my Sega CD want list!

SpoDaddy
07-13-2005, 09:02 PM
Here's my top 5, in no order:

Shining Force CD
Final Fight CD
Silpheed
Sonic CD
Dark Wizard

DanR
07-14-2005, 04:36 PM
Wow. This is a tough call for me. I had a lot Sega CD games during its lifetime. In a very close call, I think I'm going with Lunar the Silver Star.

Wampaa
07-29-2005, 09:43 AM
Dark Wizard(lots of replay value)
Lunar:The SIlver Star

Those are my two favorites. Although I haven't played Popful Mail which I hear is awesome.

I bought a copy of Lunar:Eternal Blue on e-bay along with Eternal Champions and Spiderman. SO I am looking forward to trying those games out.

lordofduct
07-29-2005, 11:38 AM
This one is hard... ok ok, "Lunar 2: Eternal Blue"

Runners Up:
Sonic CD
Ecco the Dolphin Tides of Time
EWJ SE
Lunar Silver Star Story

Oh and the cat before me... You'll love Eternal Champions, it is my all time favorite fighter. And Popful Mail is cool and all but wasn't as great as everyone made it out to be.

Demonic Weasel
08-04-2005, 05:44 PM
I think I'd have to say that me top 5 in no particuarler order are

Shining Force CD
Dark Wizard
Sonic CD
Popful Mail
Lunar 1 and 2

Wampaa
08-09-2005, 10:47 AM
Eternal Champions is cool! Man it's hard against the comp though. The characters are really varied and cool. Graphics and backgrounds are nice too.

ryosnk
08-10-2005, 11:43 AM
My favs:

sonic cd
final fight cd
lords of thunder

Mel
08-11-2005, 07:49 PM
Sonic CD is my vote. <sigh>

Vicman
08-12-2005, 12:13 AM
You know Mel, since some of the Sega CD games are abandonware you could DL some from theunderdogs and not really be pirating. I know I referenced that place on the old board and was admonished purely because we were afraid of having the board shut down, but I figure abandonware is ok here now since the board is Sega-16's own and we have Sonic Crackers for DL, which while never released is technically "abandon"-ware. :D

And since some Sega CD games, *cough* Snatcher *cough*, sell for as much as $135 on ebay it'd almost be a crime not to try before you buy! ;)

hadjiquest
08-20-2005, 11:22 PM
Afterburner III by CRI is a good game

I have been playing After Burner II in the Arcades in 1988, before I owned a Sega Master System and After Burner. I still got After Burner II & G-LOC for my Sega Genesis. I just gotta find a Sega CD and Afterburner III.

crazyjoedavola
08-21-2005, 01:44 AM
I jumped on the Sega CD bandwagon late in the system's life and didn't get to play many of the great games you all talked about. I did play Lunar Eternal Blue and thought it was great. I also played Batman Returns and while it was the same game as the cart version, save for the driving levels, the awesome music made the game so much better. I just purchased a Sega CD system from Melf, and bought Sonic CD off ebay, so I'm looking to get into the great CD games that I missed out on. My friend had Robo Aleste and, being a huge fan of MUSHA, I thought that game was incredible,so I'm looking forward to collecting and playing all those CD games I overlooked. One game I do remember was Keio Flying Squadron. I really liked that game even though I only rented it. I do hope to get that one again.

crazyjoedavola
08-21-2005, 01:45 AM
Oops. I think I got my Sega CD from Mel. Sorry. It's late.

ROBOTRON
10-08-2005, 11:26 PM
Had to be Silpheed...that game rocked my sox.

David J.
10-08-2005, 11:35 PM
Top 5:

Android Assault
Robo Aleste
Annet Again
Lords of Thunder
Sonic CD (Japanese soundtrack please)

Man, some great shumps where released for the system. :D Jaguar XJ220 used to be my fav, but it hasn't aged well.

Alvatron
12-31-2005, 02:38 PM
My favorite has to be Formula One Beyond the Limit. Awesome racing game for the time. Great graphics, sound and the season mode was fun. It was amazing how much you could tweek on your car. I still play it every now and then.

Chris Marsh
01-06-2006, 05:35 PM
With the games I have right now, it has to be Double Switch. This game has a good difficulty for an FMV game and it has a cool plot.

Alianger
01-13-2006, 05:49 AM
snatcher, lunar 2, android assault, silpheed (the effects are great, but it's a bit too simple at it's core) and final fight.

Vorty
01-24-2006, 09:00 AM
Sonic CD (Jap Soundtrack, not the retarded US one)
Eternal Champions: Challenge from the Dark Side
Brutal

lordofduct
01-24-2006, 09:39 AM
I don't get everyone's beef with the US soundtrack.

I love em' both (US and Jap)... I'm more partial to the US one as I grew up with it (Sonic CD was the REASON I bought a Sega CD back on the day Sonic CD was released... man I remember walking into Electronics Boutique and demanding my copy!).

The Jap one is fun to listen to and matches the elegant speed of the game very well... but I like the future tunes of the US one more as they match the atmosphere a whole lot better.

GeckoYamori
01-24-2006, 12:05 PM
The US soundtrack felt too subtle and uninspired, and sometimes not even the production felt top-notch. The future versions barely had any differences at all (Save for a select few like Stardust Speedway) compared to the original soundtrack which had much more creative remixes. I don't know why, but as soon Spencer Nielsen started working with redbook audio his music took a big punch. The cartridge version of Spider-Man Vs. The Kingpin sounded a lot cooler than the completely out-of-place buttrock present in the Mega CD version.

Joe Redifer
01-24-2006, 03:36 PM
To my knowledge the only cartridge game Spencer Nilsen ever worked on was Sonic Spinball, which is one of the worst sounding Genesis games ever.

lordofduct
01-24-2006, 09:46 PM
Spencer Nielsen did an AMAZING job with the ECCO games!

Obviously
01-24-2006, 10:28 PM
Yes, Spencer Neilson's work on Ecco is fantastic and Sonic CD's is similar. I just don't know if it fits that well with a Sonic game, but it's still good music.

It's not that his work is uninspired, but it is subtle, which is why it's perfect for a game like Ecco but not the adrenaline pumping tracks we're used to in a Sonic title. There's no doubting he's a great composer though.

j_factor
01-24-2006, 10:46 PM
His version of the Sonic CD soundtrack is great. People only prefer the Japanese soundtrack because they have "Japan = bettar" in their brains.

Joe Redifer
01-24-2006, 10:47 PM
Ecco CD 1 and 2 were incredible. Too bad that Spency-poo is now regulated to scoring extremely cheesey and cheap direct-to-video movies.

As for the Japanese soundtrack to Sonic CD, to me it has a bunch more energy that fits the game. Having a chorus of women sing "Doo wee dooo wop" and the like is not appropriate. And the PAST tunes are the same in both versions, making the US stuff fit even less well into the game. So in this case yes, Japan = better. Certainly not in all cases, though.

It still is FAR from my favorite Sonic game. It's very choppy and slowdown is everywhere. It is very unoptimized.

lordofduct
01-24-2006, 11:08 PM
His version of the Sonic CD soundtrack is great. People only prefer the Japanese soundtrack because they have "Japan = bettar" in their brains.

I was hoping someone would say it!

And come on... the women saying "doo wee doo wop"... what about the "Yeahhhhhhhhhhhhh... oh yeahhhhhhhhhhhh..." from the lil' kids in the first zone of the Jap soundtrack.

Jap Tidal Tempest music is really good.

But most of it sounds too 80's technoey... along with that really gay guy singing... oh God does that just sound cheesey... cheesier then "Sonic Boom".

In all though I enjoy both of them a lot.

Joe Redifer
01-24-2006, 11:42 PM
People only prefer the Japanese soundtrack because they have "Japan = bettar" in their brains.
Yes, that is the ONLY possible reason to enjoy the Japanese version more. I must just be retarded or something. Otherwise I would OBVIOUSLY prefer the US music. :roll: Japan is "battar".

what about the "Yeahhhhhhhhhhhhh... oh yeahhhhhhhhhhhh..." from the lil' kids in the first zone of the Jap soundtrack.
It's just a single cheer after a "woo", they don't say "Oh yeeeaahh". I agree it doesn't need to be there, but it's not too horribly bad. It sure beats the lounge music on the first stage of the US version by about a factor of 10 billion! The 1st level music in the US version is near-vomit inducing. The rest of the US music ranges from tolerable to good. That's not to say every track in the JAP version is a winner.

I am just wondering why they wasted the money to redo the music when it was already fine. That's Sega of America for ya.

j_factor
01-25-2006, 12:26 AM
People only prefer the Japanese soundtrack because they have "Japan = bettar" in their brains.
Yes, that is the ONLY possible reason to enjoy the Japanese version more. I must just be retarded or something. Otherwise I would OBVIOUSLY prefer the US music. :roll: Japan is "battar".

Yes, that's what I said... :roll:

Seriously though, I don't get the "hate" that the Spencer version gets these days. Both are fine soundtracks in general, but the Japanese intro song sucks. Toot Toot Sonic Warrior? What the fuck? At least Sonic Boom is an actual phrase.

Obviously
01-25-2006, 12:28 AM
I am just wondering why they wasted the money to redo the music when it was already fine. That's Sega of America for ya.

They didn't change it beacause they wanted to, they did it because there was licensing issues with the original soundtrack.

I don't get the hate leveled at Sega of America. They practically built Sega's empire.

Joe Redifer
01-25-2006, 12:55 AM
Sega of America AND Sega of Japan have done a ton of stupid things. I think the worst thing they did (or didn't do) is not get along with each other and communicate. Sega of Japan was extremely stupid to demand that the Genesis and Mega Drive be outright cancelled when the Saturn was launched among (many) other things. Sega of America was extremely stupid to A) Change things that didn't need to be changed like box art and, oh, Thunder Force IV's name, etc. B) Hire Bernie Stolar who said some really stupid things during the Saturn days and pissed off a ton of 3rd parties and C) Demand creation of the 32X. What the hell? Although I like the 32X for what it is, its existence helped destroy Sega's good name among the non-hardcore fans.

And if anyone cares, HERE is a 24.6MB Quicktime movie (http://pixelcraze.film-tech.net/crap/SonicCD.mov) of Sonic CD I made a little over a year ago just for fun.

There is a letter that is on the screen in the lower-left corner indicating which region in playing as you watch:
A = Japanese soundtrack
B = US Soundtrack.

Both are good and both suck ass. For the Japanese version, you'll find that the Toot Toot Sonic Warrior segment sounds really bad. For the US version you'll find that the 1st stage (Palmtree Panic) sounds incredibly lame. Enjoy.

j_factor
01-25-2006, 01:27 AM
B) Hire Bernie Stolar who said some really stupid things during the Saturn days and pissed off a ton of 3rd parties

Although I very enthusiastically agree with your anti-Stolar sentiment (god I hated him), I don't think you can really blame SoA for hiring him as he seemed like a good person to hire at the time.

lordofduct
01-25-2006, 01:38 AM
to bad it's quicktime... sorry, but fuck quicktime.

They didn't change it beacause they wanted to, they did it because there was licensing issues with the original soundtrack.

Where did you hear this? I've never heard this before.

-----

It's just a single cheer after a "woo", they don't say "Oh yeeeaahh". I agree it doesn't need to be there, but it's not too horribly bad.

Oh no, I didn't get it exact because I didn't feel like turning off the legen soundtrack and opening up that one just to have the chorus just damn right... sorry, it goes "yeahhhhhhhhh... ::clapping:: yeahhhhhhhh".

And I'm very happy they changed the music for two reasons.

1) It allows me to choose freely between two soundtracks depending my mood that were specifically made for the game (as apposes to putting on my own music CD on the stereo).

2) It's Americanized... which allowed sales. Let me explain this lil' bit to ya.

The hardcore Sega Fans who still play the game now adays and praise the game and soundtrack so much are geeks, nerds, dorks (admit it, we are! we're debating a freaking VG soundtrack over a decade old). This group of people tend to like Japanese Pop... which well really isn't as palletable as some may think it is.

Here in America I guarantee the Jap soundtrack would of gotten laughed at back then. The game was released at a time of making fun of bands that sounded like the vocalists in the Jap soundtrack. Grunge Rock was coming into public fashion and people would of been easily turned off by the Jap soundtrack... I know my friends and I were (my buddy imported it).

Today I enjoy it more then I did back then and I don't dislike either. Just one has something the other doesn't.

US has more atmosphere and mood to it without the awful lyrics.

Jap has the more upbeat music that matches the speed of the game and isn't as mellow, trancy, "lounge music" as Redifier put it.

I must add... I'm surprised J_Factor and I are on the same side with this one... not very common for the two of us.

Joe Redifer
01-25-2006, 02:10 AM
to bad it's quicktime... sorry, but fuck quicktime.
That's what I say about Windows Media. God DAMN I hate it! The quality is RARELY good on WMV files.

Question for Dyldo:
Why didn't they bother changing all of the other JAP soundtracks for Sega CD games back then? The only issue I could see is the stupid opening song. The rest of the music would have been accepted fine, I'm sure. And by the way I have never imported Japanese music or listened to it UNLESS it was game music. I'm not a J-Pop fan.

lordofduct
01-25-2006, 02:36 AM
I hate WMV as well... really all the streaming video codecs really suck. But Realplayer and Quicktime don't get my business due to their intrusive pain in the ass software required for using their codecs. Why not be like flash and have a nice simple plug-in codec that works through your browser? huh? ugh.

As for the soundtracks... I couldn't tell you exactly. Some may be due to money, a game with out high sell prospects wouldn't receive such attention. BUT a Sonic game which is Sega's Ace of Spades is going to get a lot of attention. May that attention not be constructive... but thought to be constructive. (i.e. the change of Rose's name to Princess Sally just to push a stupid TV show)

It is all just speculation of why, but personally I am pleased they did as I've stated before. Now I get two different versions of the game to listen too.

GeckoYamori
01-25-2006, 03:00 AM

I am anything but one of those japanophiles and I despise of J-Pop in general. I already gave reasons why I find the original better but I guess I have to elaborate.

1. Most of the tracks are built around well thought-out hooks and melodies.

2. The time mixes are much more different from eachother, keeping them fresh and a very broad selection of genres are covered.

3. Early 90s was the very peak of electronic and urban music.

Joe Redifer
01-25-2006, 03:43 AM
Personally I don't think it was a licensing issue with the Sonic CD music at all. The PAST tracks stayed exactly the same, and the PAST tracks sound very similar to the JAP PRESENT and even FUTURE tracks to an extent. I think it is was a licensing issue they'd have had to change the PAST tracks as well. As it stands I don't think Spencer is fond of doing chip music since the PAST music was all PCM.

As an aside, I'd like to say that I did not enjoy that whole time travel thing. It really broke up my rhythm! I had to be careful not to run too fast or BAM load....load....load...load...load....load...

lordofduct
01-25-2006, 05:44 AM
yeah they really should of also had a way to not have to watch that stupid screen of sonic flying through that sparkly room type dealy when traveling time (unless that was just there as a load screen... but I remember... ::short load:: ::stupid video sonic flying:: ::long load time:: and then the new time period)

Ugh that was annoying... but eh, it's what you put up with when dealing with CDs.

Obviously
01-25-2006, 01:30 PM
Where did you hear this? I've never heard this before.

I was thinking about the wrong thing in when I mentioned the licensing issues. What I was thinking about what the lisencing problems that supposedly caused Spencer Nielson's soundtrack to appear on the Sonic Gems collection instead of the Japanese one. Sorry for creating any confusion.

And yeah, the whole time travel thing felt gimmicky and personally I'm not afraid to say that I just don't like Sonic CD in comparison to the other Sonic titles of the time and the level design was pretty lousy. You can all shoot me now if you wish, I just don't like it. I know a lot of people consider it one of the best Sonic titles ever but I never really understood why. I still respect it for introducing some great characters like Amy Rose and Metal Sonic.

I'll still stand by the point of view I've leveled in other topics. Things like cover art and in this case music were changed because of cultural differences. It was a different era and the average person didn't know what anime was, I sure didn't. The only weird thing is that they kept anime art in the games but it's the cover art they needed to sell the game, after all, and if they discluded every anime influenced game from the West then we'd have a very small library composed of mostly EA games.

It's not like Sega of America was stupid, or the only company that did this since Nintendo is just as guilty and the few anime shows that were brought over during this time were editted to hell and back.

It was before the anime invasion and times were different. They did what they felt they needed to do to make the games attractive to the Western audience. Today it seems silly, but back then it made total sense. I guess the whole Japan-is-superior thing never effected me as much as other collectors since I grew up more with the Western dominated PC games industry and I'm one of those rare people who'll watch Robotech over Macross any day.

And to at least say something pertaining to the original topic of this thread... a Sega CD game that needs more love is Wing Commander, so go get it now only if you don't have the PC version because it's not the best port in the world.

Flash1087
01-26-2006, 12:33 AM
And to at least say something pertaining to the original topic of this thread... a Sega CD game that needs more love is Wing Commander, so go get it now only if you don't have the PC version because it's not the best port in the world.

First Sega CD game I bought!

I do not, however, have a Sega CD yet. I just found Wing Commander for a dollar at a garage sale last September, so I snagged it.

David J.
01-26-2006, 09:46 AM
I remember when PC gamer did the issue when they gave away ten games on a disc, and the updated '97 PC version of Wing Commander was on it, and I spent waaaayyy to much time playing it!

I might check out the Sega CD version, it might actually be good.

Obviously
01-26-2006, 10:15 AM
I remember when PC gamer did the issue when they gave away ten games on a disc, and the updated '97 PC version of Wing Commander was on it, and I spent waaaayyy to much time playing it!

I haven't played it myself but I heard it has some slowdown issues and the music is of course not as good as the PC.

Flash1087
01-27-2006, 12:24 AM

I haven't played it myself but I heard it has some slowdown issues and the music is of course not as good as the PC.

Couldn't vouch for it either way. Regrettably, the only version of Wing Commander 1 I ever played was for the SNES...

*EDIT* YES! Post 50! I'm a Crude Dude! Better than a Bad Dude, I guess...

Zebbe
03-13-2006, 07:22 PM
Wow, that video was great Joe Redifer, thanks a lot! I've just bought a Mega CD and the PAL-version of Sonic CD (which has the JAP soundtrack) which I'm waiting for, but I guess I gotta buy the American version too, since it has that awesome Sonic Boom song :D. I've played the game on PC, that version has the American soundtrack too.

David J.
03-13-2006, 08:48 PM
I like both soundtracks and I burnt a US copy with the US soundtrack and a US copy with the Japanese soundtrack.

Joe Redifer
03-13-2006, 09:40 PM
What's weird is if you burn a US copy with the Japanese music, the entire title screen song plays before the grainy "Sonic Boom" cartoon starts. But on the Japanese-proper version, the title screen fades out before the music finishes and "Toot Toot Sonic Warrior" starts. At least that's the way I'm remembering it.

David J.
03-13-2006, 10:03 PM
Well, there was a US prerelease copy of Sonic CD that had the Japanese music so anything can happen! :P

JAMMAPARTS
03-26-2006, 05:30 AM
My favorite (as far as RPGs) would have to be Shining Force CD. I just got this game off eBay and I've been hooked since I started playing. I was thoroughly addicted to the Golden Sun series (both parts 1 and 2) on the GBA, and it's fun to see all the similarities between these and SFCD (in case you didn't know, SFCD was developed by Sonic Software Planning...who later left Sega to form Camelot Software Planning and create the Golden Sun series on GBA).

Demonic Weasel
03-26-2006, 10:45 AM
Ah Camelot, Camelot, Camelot. They really know how to borrow from Shining Force to fule Golden Sun. Anyway Shining Force CD is without a doubt the best RPG on the system closely followed by Lunar.

Alianger
04-09-2006, 09:26 PM
Snatcher
Silpheed
Lunar - EB
Robo Aleste

MegaDrive20XX
04-10-2006, 06:27 PM
Earthworm Jim Special Editon
Heart of an Alien: Out of this World Part 1 and 2
Mickey Mania
Sonic CD
Panic!
Final Fight CD
Lunar Silver Star
Sega Arcade Classics
Sherlock Holmes Vol. 1 and 2 (Hey, I know, but Im a Sherlock fan lol)

Nintendon't
06-04-2006, 08:44 AM
I just got my Sega CD but my favorite game so far is Sonic CD. I like how it has a darker atmosphere than the other sonic games and the music is amazing. I am going to get Snatcher (with the gun) and Popful Mail in a couple of days from a friend so my favorite Sega CD game will probably change.

Kusanagi
06-06-2006, 01:55 PM
I only have these games for the cd system (yet :D )

road avenger
thunderhawk
mortal kombat
silpheed
sonic cd

I think I had most fun with road avenger and silpheed (altough the latter crashes at level 4, meh)

I found sonic cd a disapointment because of the uninspired levels and weird collors they used.:(

Robbo
09-30-2006, 07:14 PM
The Terminator. FACT.

Final Fight CD and Dragon's Lair a not so close second placed.

Elusive
09-30-2006, 08:04 PM
Sonic CD - it carries on the slight surrealness of the first game, later taken up in Chaotix. Earthworm Jim Deluxe is a groovy platformer, too.

RiseFromYourGrave
10-02-2006, 04:59 AM
<---------

Take a guess.

dougfunnie
10-05-2006, 11:29 AM
I could mention Popful Mail, and others
but haven't played them for a while
I always come back to NHL 94. Might not be the
best graphics or anything, but with the improved sound on cd,
it's a great NHL game.

Black_Tiger
10-05-2006, 03:07 PM
As much as I love Lords Of Thunder, Lunar EB easily gets the top spot, regardless of any changes made from the Mega-CD version.

And although I could quickly put together a stream of favorites, I couldn't put them in any kind of real order, except to say that Shining Force CD would probably be in the third spot behind the two games already mentioned.

Elusive
10-05-2006, 07:12 PM
<---------

Take a guess.

This, too. I can't get enough of the soundtrack - the Junker theme is my phone's ringtone. I just wish Policenauts had been translated and released West, but there you are.

No love for Keio's Flying Squadron? It's utterly insane, but a pretty competent shmup too.

Baleog
10-08-2006, 05:44 AM
My Sega CD is woefully understocked with games. It's hard enough to find games worth playing for it. I'd kill for the Lunar games or other RPG's. If only they didn't cost a stratospheric amount when you can manage to find them at all. And I've yet to track down a copy of Sonic CD in purchase-able condition (the last copy I found had a cracked case and a disc surface scratched beyond recognition).

The only ones I own that are worth playing are Eye Of The Beholder and Silpheed. I guess Ecco would be worth playing if it didn't make me horribly nauseous every time I tried. I don't know what it is with those sorts of games, but platformers with hyper-kinetic backgrounds always give me horrible motion-sickness.

Most of the rest of my Sega CD collection came from my sister, when she dumped her Sega CD on me after getting rid of her Genesis. And the aforementioned EOTB was the only thing worth playing. Mortal Kombat? Apart from the fact that eviscerating your opponents gets really old really fast, having to wait five minutes for the next screen to load rather defeats the purpose of an "action game". Sewer Shark? It came with the machine, and it sucks harder than a shop-vac. Dracula Unleashed? Zzzzzzzzz.....

Yeah. I still don't own Sonic CD, but I did see the intro music (and some of the gameplay) on Youtube. The background music isn't bad and while the "Sonic Boom" theme is, admittedly, lame, it's not EAR-SHREDDINGLY HORRIBLE like the Japanese theme music!

Japanese rap, is there anything worse?

nik
10-08-2006, 01:55 PM
This, too. I can't get enough of the soundtrack - the Junker theme is my phone's ringtone. I just wish Policenauts had been translated and released West, but there you are.

No love for Keio's Flying Squadron? It's utterly insane, but a pretty competent shmup too.

Really rare as well.

That was my first and best find, my mom picked up a SEALED NTSC copy of that game for 5$ a year or so ago!

I ended up selling it for 300$, needed the $ to upgrade some toys in my car, but when I saw it I thought "well at least it's not sonic 2 or something uber common".

Seldane
10-09-2006, 04:23 AM
My favorite Mega-CD game is Dungeon Explorer. Fun dungeon explorer (eheh) with very nice music. I love the atmosphere in this game.

ACH
10-13-2006, 02:02 PM
Snatcher, there's a bunch of great games on the MCD but Snatcher really stands out. Actually, it is my absolute favourite game for all systems. After Snatcher I'd place the Lunars, Android Assault and Robo Aleste I think

Genny + s-video = joygasm. :)

Genny + RGB is the true joygasm. Mmm
http://www.pici.se/pictures/ius9sc.jpg

segasonic123
10-17-2006, 02:09 AM
HAHAHA:D my kind of post.

I don't get why so many people love ecco cd soundtrack. I played ecco 1 couple of months ago and the soundtrack is just very uninspired. Some of it just random sea sounds and some of it just not really motivating (same melody rapeating 100 times while u try to beat the level).

I am on a diffrent ship with Sonic cd. Looking at the time restrains (2 months) and many memorable themes, i have to give him credit. It feels like he put lot more effort in sonic cd then ecco.

Anyways the women vocals ur talking about are very corny. I cringe everytime i hear tidal tempest, wackywork bench bad future and quart quadrant good future.

The yaaay in the first level for jap actully sets the pace, its like having audience watching sonic perform. So i think it fits very well.