PDA

View Full Version : The BEST! [Genre discussion]

Mel
07-25-2005, 06:29 PM
What is the best genre of games on the Sega CD?

lordofduct
07-28-2005, 09:24 AM
you had to make it hard.... RPG or SHmup???? grrr, well I went RPG because my favoritist game in the whole entire world other then Sonic is an RPG. LUNAR!!!!!!!

Oh and not to be mean... FMV (full motion video)

Demonic Weasel
08-04-2005, 05:45 PM
Easy, RPG.

Melf
08-05-2005, 01:07 AM
Hmm, the poll is title "best genre represented on the Sega CD," but you ask which one is best overall. I'd personally say that the FMV genre is the best one represented, but that RPGs are the best overall.

Mel
08-06-2005, 11:06 AM
Quality not quantity. =)

crazyjoedavola
08-07-2005, 11:06 AM
I'd have to agree with Melf that the best represented genre is definitely FMV, but as for quality goes, then the RPG is the best on the Sega CD. Lunar was awesome and it really showed what the system could do in terms of giving a great game experience. Sadly, SOA just didn't see it that way and went on to make the same mistake with the Saturn. It seems that SOA had a problem in that instead of releasing games that showed off the system's strengths, the released games that demonstrated its weakness and it's no wonder they're out of the console business.

Dartagnan1083
08-08-2005, 06:29 AM
It's not that they showed off weaknesses, but missinterpreted what Strengths really were.
Playing video was a nifty idea untill you discover that it plays bad.

But Sega's fall happened during a time where fancy effects could sell horrible games (Donkey kong country, Super FX Racer, Killer Instinct). You just needed to make sure it felt playable

Sega released some games that showed off the more unique effects made possible by Sega CD.
The problem is that they didn't share the needed tools with 3rd parties. So you couldn't see these effects implemented in more than a handfull of games.

Mel
08-08-2005, 12:07 PM
It's not that they showed off weaknesses, but missinterpreted what Strengths really were.
Playing video was a nifty idea untill you discover that it plays bad.

But Sega's fall happened during a time where fancy effects could sell horrible games (Donkey kong country, Super FX Racer, Killer Instinct). You just needed to make sure it felt playable

Sega released some games that showed off the more unique effects made possible by Sega CD.
The problem is that they didn't share the needed tools with 3rd parties. So you couldn't see these effects implemented in more than a handfull of games.

I think the video works just as well as cut-scenes in modern games that are rendered. Problem is that the cost of having actors isn't worth it. And the way its used needs to be taken into account. Cut-scenes should be at the end of major game parts to tell part of the story, but not to be over used.

Probably why RPG's work best with cut-scenes.

Electroman
08-08-2005, 01:50 PM
I'd have to agree with Melf that the best represented genre is definitely FMV, but as for quality goes, then the RPG is the best on the Sega CD. Lunar was awesome and it really showed what the system could do in terms of giving a great game experience. Sadly, SOA just didn't see it that way and went on to make the same mistake with the Saturn. It seems that SOA had a problem in that instead of releasing games that showed off the system's strengths, the released games that demonstrated its weakness and it's no wonder they're out of the console business.

I believe that SOA's mistake was majory mis-marketing, hype, and losing focus of what gamers (especially the veteran types) wanted. SOA started appealing themselves so strongly to mainstream interests (Sports, the novelty of FMV, and bleh platformers).

David J.
10-08-2005, 11:38 PM
FMV for shear volume, however, IMO: It's shumps!

Robo Aleste
Android Assualt
Keio Flying Squadron
Silpheed
Lords of Thunder

Damn fine games.

j_factor
10-09-2005, 02:19 PM
I think the genre best (not most, best) represented on Sega CD is action-adventure. Games like Flink, Shadow of the Beast II, Ecco, Heart of the Alien, Jurassic Park, etc. simply rock.

I'm also a fan of its 3d shooters like Battlecorps, Thunderstrike, Stellar Fire, etc.

But since neither of those were an option and there's no "misc." in this poll, my next choice is platformers.