PDA

View Full Version : *Saturn* vs. *3DO* - a comparison of Road Rash & Need For Speed

Gamer101
05-19-2011, 09:25 PM
Hello everyone, I'm new here. This site is great and I look forward to trading/selling some misc games in the for sale section of the forum, not to mention learn a thing or two about classic gaming while I'm at it.

1. Road Rash
2. Need for Speed

I own both ^ for the Saturn and they both felt like good games to me. I originally had them on my 3DO wantlist, and now I'm wondering what the differences are between these versions and the 3DO originals.

Can anyone tell me the differences please?

sheath
05-19-2011, 10:07 PM
The Saturn version of Need for Speed is, in EA tradition, a sequel to the 3DO original. The 3DO game is slower but uses the same graphics in most cases. Road Rash on the Saturn and 3DO are rarely compared. I have a couple of comparison videos online that show the PS1 and Saturn versions of Road Rash, and all three versions of Need for Speed. Hopefully these will help you out. I don't own Road Rash for 3DO yet, and any comments about any version is welcome.

Need for Speed 3DO:
3GQmsY3DZOQ

Higher quality video comparison for Need for Speed 3DO - Saturn - PS1 (http://www.gamepilgrimage.com/content/need-speed-comparison-3do-versus-ps1-and-saturn)

BMREnf6NRsQ

Road Rash - Saturn - PS1 (http://www.gamepilgrimage.com/content/road-rash-comparison)

Thenewguy
05-19-2011, 10:41 PM
From what I can recall from the time the two later ports of Road Rash were supposedly inferior to the original 3DO version.

Need For Speed was changed about a lot in the transition to PS1/Saturn, the original was more realistic feeling, whilst the PS1/Saturn versions felt like EA were jumping on the Daytona/Ridge Racer bandwagon and the game was faster and more arcadey.

Gamer101
05-19-2011, 10:50 PM
Road Rash on the Saturn and 3DO are rarely compared.

Hence why I'm asking.

From what I can recall from the time the two later ports of Road Rash were supposedly inferior to the original 3DO version.

Need For Speed was changed about a lot in the transition to PS1/Saturn, the original was more realistic feeling, whilst the PS1/Saturn versions felt like EA were jumping on the Daytona/Ridge Racer bandwagon and the game was faster and more arcadey.

Thanks you two, I see that I'm fine with my Saturn copy of Need for Speed. At this point, I'm trying to decide if I need the 3DO version of Road Rash over the Saturn version. I need something more definitive than conjecture please.

Joe Redifer
05-19-2011, 11:14 PM
Road Rash on the Saturn seems to have the highest frame rate but what the hell happened to the audio?

Barone
05-20-2011, 02:44 AM
Thanks you two, I see that I'm fine with my Saturn copy of Need for Speed.

Yes, IMO Saturn graphics quality is on par with PS1 in this case, but I prefer the perspective correction of Saturn. PS1 is lame in that aspect.

TmEE
05-20-2011, 04:18 AM
Road Rash on the Saturn seems to have the highest frame rate but what the hell happened to the audio?

Yes, exactly. SFX are better IMO, but music is compeltely messed up. Saturn game also seems to have a bit higher quality car and pedestrian graphics than PSX, no idea about how 3DO compares....

Gamer101
05-20-2011, 10:19 AM
Thank you all for your input, but I really need to know the specifics in regard to the 3DO vs. the Saturn *Road Rash*. The PS1 is a non factor because I don't plan on collecting that version.
Road Rash was one of the reasons I bought a 3DO *Star Controll II and Syndicate being the main games*, so I need to know if I can sell this Mint Saturn Road Rash or if I'm good to go with it, so I can take RR off of my 3DO wantlist, or not.

Silanda
05-20-2011, 11:24 AM
Why don't you just buy them anyway and find out for yourself? They're common games and dirt cheap last time I checked.

Gamer101
05-20-2011, 11:27 AM
Why don't you just buy them anyway and find out for yourself? They're common games and dirt cheap last time I checked.

Road Rash for the 3DO is not "dirt cheap", sir. check again

Silanda
05-20-2011, 11:31 AM
Road Rash for the 3DO is not "dirt cheap", sir. check again

I have, it is. In the UK at least it rarely goes for more than 5 and 3DO games are region free.

Gamer101
05-20-2011, 11:32 AM
I have, it is. In the UK at least it rarely goes for more than 5 and 3DO games are region free.

ok - thanks for your help

Silanda
05-20-2011, 11:41 AM
Just bide your time and you'll probably get one on ebay for a good price. Unfortunately ebay these days seems to be infested with buy it now sellers trying to rip people off, which can sometimes give the impression that things are worth much more than the actual market price. There is a UK copy with no bids here: http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/3DO-Road-Rash-Complete-/320697973505

I'm assuming you're in the US, so even though they only say that they ship to the UK, it might be worth asking if they would be willing to ship it to you.

Gamer101
05-20-2011, 12:27 PM
Just bide your time and you'll probably get one on ebay for a good price. Unfortunately ebay these days seems to be infested with buy it now sellers trying to rip people off, which can sometimes give the impression that things are worth much more than the actual market price. There is a UK copy with no bids here: http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/3DO-Road-Rash-Complete-/320697973505

I'm assuming you're in the US, so even though they only say that they ship to the UK, it might be worth asking if they would be willing to ship it to you.

I appreciate your help and I'm well aware of what games are worth, both old and current gen. I do my homework. The Auction you've noted is close to $15 in the end, and is from the UK. I don't buy outside of the US: rarely will I buy something from Canada. I support my local Economy and the UK is not my local economy, but I do appreciate you sharing your find nonetheless.

I am simply after a comparison of the 3DO Road Rash vs. the Saturn Road Rash - I figured plenty of gamers on this board would be able to shed some light as to what the differences are. I'm not interested in what the PS version does for the reason I listed in a previous post. Every single comparison *the few I came across* of the 3DO vs Saturn version for Road Rash I've come across online has been biased towards the 3DO and did not seem legit. I say legit, because everytime I do see a comparison, it's the same, "the 3DO is better" in a nutshell, with zero details about framerates, or better models, or whether or not the Saturn port is on par for any reason or not on par, etc etc. I knew going into purchasing a 3DO that it would be my most niche system, but like I'd said above, I was truly thinking that I'd be getting RR for the 3DO. After playing the Saturn port which felt solid as can be, I'm now curious what the 3DO original has over the Saturn port if anything.

thks

BARBEERIAN
05-20-2011, 02:09 PM
I appreciate your help and I'm well aware of what games are worth, both old and current gen. I do my homework. The Auction you've noted is close to $15 in the end, and is from the UK. I don't buy outside of the US: rarely will I buy something from Canada. I support my local Economy and the UK is not my local economy, but I do appreciate you sharing your find nonetheless.

I am simply after a comparison of the 3DO Road Rash vs. the Saturn Road Rash - I figured plenty of gamers on this board would be able to shed some light as to what the differences are. I'm not interested in what the PS version does for the reason I listed in a previous post. Every single comparison *the few I came across* of the 3DO vs Saturn version for Road Rash I've come across online has been biased towards the 3DO and did not seem legit. I say legit, because everytime I do see a comparison, it's the same, "the 3DO is better" in a nutshell, with zero details about framerates, or better models, or whether or not the Saturn port is on par for any reason or not on par, etc etc. I knew going into purchasing a 3DO that it would be my most niche system, but like I'd said above, I was truly thinking that I'd be getting RR for the 3DO. After playing the Saturn port which felt solid as can be, I'm now curious what the 3DO original has over the Saturn port if anything.

thks

Just FYI second hand sales don't help your local economy at all (from person to person. 2nd hand shop is a different story), since you will not pay any tax on that sale (unless you're crazy and feel like paying tax you don't owe). So you could think about buying one from Canada or the UK without hurting your economy.

Gamer101
05-20-2011, 06:49 PM
If anyone has an actual comparison of the 3DO Road Rash vs. the Saturn Road Rash, that'd be great.

Gamer101
05-26-2011, 07:54 PM
If anyone has an actual comparison of the 3DO Road Rash vs. the Saturn Road Rash, that'd be great.

Anyone? :( If not, then I'll simply assume I'm fine with the Saturn version of Road Rash. I figured if anyone knew the answer to this comparison question of mine, it'd be the knowledgeable folks of Sega-16. ;)

Gamer101
05-27-2011, 05:05 PM
I figured if anyone knew the answer to this comparison question of mine, it'd be the knowledgeable folks of Sega-16. ;)

I can't say I'm not disappointed. I guess I should look up a 3DO forum or perhaps a Sega forum where people know what's up with the Saturn Catalog.

:lameness:

old man
05-28-2011, 02:40 AM
u mad?

sheath
07-02-2011, 03:51 PM
I finally landed Road Rash on 3DO, disk only unfortunately. It seems to have the same in game music as the Saturn version, midi sounding junk, and the framerate is a bit lower than the Saturn version. So that makes the Saturn game the smoothest, though the PS1 version's building shadows, full screen dithering, and slightly better/deeper chip tunes might sway folks that direction. I'll make a comparison video if anybody asks, or when I feel like it, whichever comes first.

The Jackal
07-02-2011, 04:03 PM
Go ahead; I'd like to see the differences.

sheath
07-02-2011, 05:16 PM
Alright, I'm going to have to combine the 3DO game footage with my Saturn PS1 comparison video as I don't have the originals anymore or the PS1 game. I'll post when everything is uploaded to Youtube and Gamepilgrimage.

The Jackal
07-02-2011, 05:18 PM
Great; looking forward to it. :)

Thenewguy
07-03-2011, 01:59 PM
I finally landed Road Rash on 3DO, disk only unfortunately. It seems to have the same in game music as the Saturn version, midi sounding junk, and the framerate is a bit lower than the Saturn version. So that makes the Saturn game the smoothest, though the PS1 version's building shadows, full screen dithering, and slightly better/deeper chip tunes might sway folks that direction.3DO version also has the building shadows over the Saturn

Saturn version's background sky, and cloud effects also seem inferior to PS1/3DO.

http://img199.imageshack.us/img199/5822/roadrashp.png (http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/199/roadrashp.png/)

I think (may be my imagination) that the 3DO version has the least pop-up, and when buildings do pop-up in the 3DO version they kind of fade in, whilst in PS1/Saturn they seem to just appear.

sheath
07-03-2011, 08:04 PM
Here we go. As this is the first video I have ever made that did not have all of the clips recorded at the same time with the same capture card, I do not know if the aspect ratio and overscan is correct in the 3DO version in particular (it might be stretched horizontally by about 40 pixels).

WU69kywtBKs

A higher quality DIVX video will be available at here (http://www.gamepilgrimage.com/content/road-rash-comparison-3do-ps1-and-saturn).