PDA

View Full Version : Sega cd wont save data!

DCGM
08-28-2006, 02:38 PM
As the title states, it wont hold saves once the system is turned off. I recently got a whole lot off of ebay including a 32x and a second genesis. Everything was throughly tested by me, but now this turns up. I read it could be the actual cell battery issue, so I was daring and opened the whole case. I saw the battery and popped it right out. Crappy soldering I suppose:p. In any event, I found battery after quite a bit of searching, and ordered another one for a reasonable price.

Now, I happen to have a backup ram cart coming any day now, but I figure I may as well replace this battery. A few questions:

How will this recharge? By simply running the unit??

This will solve the problem, right? I mean, is there any other cause of this saving issue? I tried running the unit w/o the battery and everything seems to run fine, so im assuming the battery's sole purpose is to hold saves on the internal ram...

lastly, if this ram cart that I have coming is working OK, I shouldnt have problems losing saves, correct?

Im kinda pissed as I was playing shining force cd yesterday and progressed a bit and now its all gone:mad:. Meh, could be worse I guess.

Im a huge sega fan, and I hope to be here often (hopefully with no more problems of course!). Thanks all!

- DCGM

Joe Redifer
08-28-2006, 07:12 PM
Not every game will save to the RAM cart (Sonic CD for example plus a bunch of others). So you do need to get that system saving. I'd start by replacing the battery.

There is a workaround... let the system save, but before you power down, press RESET to go back to the opening CD screen, press button A instead of START, navigate into the options (or memory if it is a Sega CD 2) and copy it to the cartridge. When you start the game next time, go back in and copy the save back to th system, and then launch the game from the CD menu. But first I'd try to see if the save file goes away when you press RESET on the Genesis. Does it?

DCGM
08-28-2006, 08:05 PM
I've been toying around with the ram cart (which arrived today, coincidentally:) ) and the internal memory.

I have removed the battery and as I said, everything seems to be working OK, even without anything in the battery slot. Im playing shining force cd now, and I've been trying to make 100% sure that I have the whole save/load pattern down pat. I think we've all had that horrible feeling of getting into an rpg and a quarter of the way through realizing that all the saves have vanished and we have to start from the beginning :daze:

So now here's the golden question I think: When saving a game (such as SFCD), does the save go automatically to the ram cart....or was the cart designed solely to be a sort of an external harddrive where in order to use it you need to copy the files directly from the internal memory to the cart. I say this because while playing SFCD just now, I saved my game and selected NOT to continue. I then reset my sega cd, and checked the memory only to find one SFCD file on the ram cart (most likely from earlier i think), and one on the internal memory. Im wondering if when i selected 'save' in-game, it went straight to the internal memory.

I sincerely hope this isnt the case, because it's going to be hell. I'll have to save my current game, make sure I dont power OFF the unit, but actually RESET it so my save wont disappear....copy it from the internal memory to the cartidge, and THEN proceed to shut down. A hell of a trip, and I know if I make one mistake I could lose progress up to the last successful save :daze:. I dont know if you've played SFCD, but the key thing here is, will all my saves be sent directly to the ram cart? Or do I have to go through that whole sticky method.

Thanks for your help :)

I hope this battery i ordered is the right one, and I can get the thing installed and working.

Joe Redifer
08-28-2006, 08:15 PM
Games that officially support the RAM cart will save/load directly to the cartridge. You usually have to select the RAM cart option in the beginning of the game. Most games that support it will give you the option of internal or RAM cart before or right after the title screen. I'm pretty sure that Shining Force CD saves right to the cart if you tell it to. Double check the manual for the game if you have it and see what it says.

DCGM
08-28-2006, 08:31 PM
Games that officially support the RAM cart will save/load directly to the cartridge. You usually have to select the RAM cart option in the beginning of the game. Most games that support it will give you the option of internal or RAM cart before or right after the title screen. I'm pretty sure that Shining Force CD saves right to the cart if you tell it to. Double check the manual for the game if you have it and see what it says.
Read the manual, still no definitive answer to my problem. What I can say is, at the beginning I WAS given the option to save to either, and I of course chose the ram cart.

The reason why Im still kinda unsure is because I found a SFCD game save in both the ram cart and the internal ram when i restarted.......this left me uneasy as I dont know where that came from. Im going to do further tests next time I play. Ill reformat the internal memory leaving it blank, and then save with very little progress and see what shows up.

About the new battery.....it charges while the unit is powered??

Joe Redifer
08-28-2006, 09:04 PM
I'm not sure about the battery. I know the TurboGrafx-16 CD and the TurboDuo used the recharge method. I kind of think the Sega CD does, too, but I am not 100% convinced of that.

Perhaps Shining Force CD saves a generic file to the system and the actual game save to the RAM. What are the names of the save files? Try moving that internal file to the cart (just as long as it's not the same file name... if it is, then don't worry about the system save), boot up, restart your game save and see what happens. Then go back and check to see if it saved anything in the internal file again. Lunar Eternal Blue does something similar. It creates files in both internal and the cart. You have to switch it to the cart each time, but it won't recognize it for you.

DCGM
08-28-2006, 09:59 PM
I hadnt erased the internal file that was created upon discovering that the new save showed up there, but in my paranoia I copied it to the ram cart to be 100% safe. Now that the sega cd has been shut down, the internal memory has disappeared, thus no file is present anymore.

here are the files found on my ram cart:

SFCD_DAT_01 ( 99 blocked used)
SFCD_DAT_09 ( 1 block used)

Im not sure what those files are, but I do hope when i load my game, it loads the most recent one without error....and I hope that each time i save again after this, and I transfer the data to the cart to be preserved, I dont slowly lose space on my cart until its empty. I wouldnt know which ones to erase:daze:.

Im going to do a test tomorrow to see if the new saves transfer directly to the ram cart with only a duplicate on the internal ram.

I hope to get that battery soon!

edit: I forgot to mention that when I copied the save on the internal memory to the ram cart, there was no error and it transferred fine. Does that mean that the game did indeed only save to the internal memory?

Joe Redifer
08-28-2006, 10:49 PM
Your RAM cart seems to be fine.

The save that only takes up one block is basically a file that lets the CD know it's there. The 99 block file is the actual game save. You should be fine playing this directly from the cart. Boot it up and try it!

DCGM
08-28-2006, 10:50 PM
Ok, that's reassuring, thank you.

Im going to do that test tomorrow morning and ill post the results.

Thanks so much for all the help so far :)

DCGM
08-28-2006, 11:42 PM
I had some time so I tested it now.

It seems to save automatically to the ram cart each time, which is great.

Now all i have to do is, everytime i start up the system, format the internal memory so I can proceed to play the game, and everything loads fine up to the current save point.

This is good :)

Joe Redifer
08-29-2006, 01:24 AM
Ah yes. Hopefully that formatting flaw will go away when the new battery is installed.

DCGM
08-29-2006, 01:13 PM
I went to go play this morning, and when I booted up the sega cd I accessed the memory. I saw that the internal memory needed to be formatted (expected) and the 2 files on my ram cart.....ok, seemed normal.

I formatted the internal memory (made sure i did the memory and not the ram cart), and started the game. The girl at th beginning tells me there's no data and i have to start a new game. I figured something must be wrong, probably I need to copy that one block save to the internal memory to tell the game that the save is on the ram cart.

Unfortunately, my save appears to have disappeared:mad:. Now the only file on the ram cart is the one block.

I now haven't a faintest clue what happened. Im stumped.

In any event, im not starting a new game until my battery arrives!

Joe Redifer
08-29-2006, 02:14 PM
It is possible that the battery in the cart could be weak. It can be replaced if you know how to solder/desolder.

DCGM
08-29-2006, 02:16 PM
Great, another problem. I hope this is a NORMAL battery and not some obscure one like that one in the system that they stopped making.

Ill pop it open and look now.

edit: I need a special screwdriver that I dont own....

nik
08-30-2006, 08:19 AM
the system and game uses the same batteries as PC's, depending on thickness.

2032 is my bet, very easy to replace.

DCGM
08-30-2006, 12:30 PM
the battery in the sega cd is a 2016 3v rechargeable made by sanyo. It was near impossible to find....

DCGM
09-02-2006, 05:24 PM
yay, got the battery today. I'm about to put it back in and close everything up, hopefully it'll work.

Should I turn on the sega cd without a game disc in and let it run for a few hours to charge it? Im not sure how to do that....

Melf
09-02-2006, 05:27 PM
Moving this to Tech Aid.

Hope your new battery works!

DCGM
09-02-2006, 05:55 PM
ok, no problem :)

Im pretty lousy at soldering, so it's a real headache (to to mention quite frusterating) to try to get the battery to stay in place inside the 2 prongs. Im using some aluminium foil to try to keep it in place.

Any suggestions?

Edit: Im using electrical tape which is keeping it snug. Wont be moving any time soon lol.

So far so good. Will test in the morning to see if it made it through the night without losing the format.

DCGM
09-03-2006, 10:47 AM
It keeps the format and all is well! Joy!

Im going on vacation for a week. I would say that if it retains the format for that long stretch of time, im completely out of the water.

ary incorparated
09-03-2006, 11:16 AM
Try to solder it with some s39,if i lived near you i did it for free offcorse but that isnt so,bend one prong and hammer a slight dot in it with a Prim(dunno the word for it)and then bend the prong,put a piece of paper under it,put some s39 on the prong and hold the battery with a pincet and solder it to the prong, bend the other prong so that it pushes aggainst the battery.done,While youve fixed this Listen to Battery(Metallica).

DCGM
09-03-2006, 07:44 PM
Try to solder it with some s39,if i lived near you i did it for free offcorse but that isnt so,bend one prong and hammer a slight dot in it with a Prim(dunno the word for it)and then bend the prong,put a piece of paper under it,put some s39 on the prong and hold the battery with a pincet and solder it to the prong, bend the other prong so that it pushes aggainst the battery.done,While youve fixed this Listen to Battery(Metallica).
hehe. To me that reads "blah blah nothing blah":daze:

Some electrical tape does the job just fine....and it's easy :P

ary incorparated
09-04-2006, 07:25 AM
Then don’t mister technical dude, i would have done it but i don’t have to,Ehy thanx for the help BTW?. That electrical tape of yours that blah blah cause it wouldn’t hold for ever ,BTW you asked for help didn’t you, dont come wining to me when the helps doesn’t.Sorry i couldnt give a better explanation but heck you dont take it seriously anyways.

DCGM
09-04-2006, 10:19 AM
whoa calm down man, im not whining to anyone. Im just saying Im not that technical and dont know how to do what you suggested. No need to get nasty....

Joe Redifer
09-04-2006, 03:09 PM
Never mind him. He's Dutch.... or something.

ary incorparated
09-04-2006, 07:34 PM
I wasn’t the one that disliked info, you sead my info was Blah Blah boring and stuff, you,Be honest say i don’t like instead. I have no means to get personal, maybe my post is a bit harsh ill retreat it sorry for the insults. BTW Joe what are you interfering with Again don’t want to hate you but why so negative against me while i did nothing wrong against you?, man i don’t want trouble seriously im a nice guy ;).

DCGM
09-04-2006, 08:50 PM
ok it's obviously a language barrier issue, not to worry, i've seen a lot of them.

No hard feelings :).

ary incorparated
09-04-2006, 09:18 PM
Yeah a bit. but even in my own language its hard for me to make descent post, its not mostly the Grammar but more the so called ADHD post i write, I don’t use spaces that much overall even not in Dutch so its more just a writing problem.

DCGM
09-04-2006, 09:44 PM
it's ok, i frequent a forum with people from all over. We occasionally try to help out a newbie, but if there's any sarcasm, even if it's in good fun, sometimes there's a problem.

It's OK. I apologize for sounding rude. I just have very little technical knowledge so basically everything you said went straight over my head!

ary incorparated
09-05-2006, 09:15 AM
heheh no probe actually.