PDA

View Full Version : Lunar: The Silver Star not working on Sega CD 2???

HetmanTancred
08-30-2006, 09:30 PM
I popped in Lunar: The Silver Star just now and a black screen came up right after the Working Designs/Lunar:TSS logo and nothing happened. It just froze. I tried it a couple of more times and nothing happened.

I thought it might be a faulty downloaded image but I also ran across a Sega CD FAQ which states: "Some older games like Lunar: The Silver Star and Dark Wizard
occasionally lock up on the Sega CD2."

David J.
08-30-2006, 09:43 PM
I recall that these games are REAL picky about the audio tracks and the size of them.

Elusive
09-01-2006, 02:42 PM
I recall that these games are REAL picky about the audio tracks and the size of them.

Perhaps an early form of copy protection? As ISO+mp3 rips change the size of the audio tracks thanks to the lossy mp3 format, the game might simply think 'x audio track should be yyyyyyyy frames long - what the fuck, it's zzzzzzz frames long, I must be a crappy clone.'

HetmanTancred
09-01-2006, 03:36 PM
ISO+MP3 rips are shat and I stay far away from them. This was a bin/cue image and works perfectly in emulation...

David J.
09-02-2006, 09:16 PM
I've had games run fine in emulation, but not in real hardware, and vice versa.

I never got any of the Space Adventure Cobra iso's online to work, so I had a friend rip me his copy. All of the Sol-Feace iso's have the iso's at a low bitrate.

Joe Redifer
09-02-2006, 11:05 PM
I hate that. I want HIGH quality MP3s in my illegal pirate copies. Uncompressed is the best, though. I downloaded the Japanese version of Sol Feace since it has extra sound effects in the game that sound completely awesome. Unfortunately these sound effects are part of the CD track instead of produced by te Sega CD's PCM like they should be. So if you want to listen to the music (which is pretty good), listen to the US version.

The US version also has Sulu's voice. Sulu is also on every Wolfteam game, I think. He talks about how creative the Wolf Team staff is when their logo comes on. Sulu enhances any game.

ACH
10-02-2006, 04:40 PM
I have the same problem as the OP, downloaded an ISO and burnt it and it freezes after the title screens right when it's supposed to load the first CD track (Hinting that it's something wrong with the tracks?) Windows XP recognizes the disc as 9mb (The .bin file is a bit over 400mb) but Windows Media Player can still play all the tracks. Does anyone here own Lunar SS and can play it on a Model 2 system? I really want this to be a burning problem so I can just buy the game and it'll work. I want to know if it's just random freezing that is the "Lunar SS on a SCD2 system"-issue (I can live with that) and not "not being able to play it at all."

Joe Redifer
10-02-2006, 05:23 PM
Come to think of it I have also had the same problem as y'all when I unethically tried to illegally pirate Lunar: The Silver Star. I think you either have to illegally burn it from a legitimate copy of the game (disc at once, no individual file ripping) or play the real game. After I got out of jail for game piracy, I bought the real thing and it works.

ACH
10-03-2006, 05:27 AM
Thank you! I was just scared of buying a game that maybe would not work. Now I'm going to buy both Silver Star and Eternal Blue.

EDIT: Well, done is done. I bought them and they arrived two days ago. SS works great.