PDA

View Full Version : Question about 1650 genesis controllers

cableant
08-24-2011, 06:41 PM
Recently pulled the Genesis out of the closet. I have two controllers both model 1650 (without the red markers).

I noticed that one is made in Taiwan the other in Malaysia. I know one came with my sonic 2 system bundle and I bought the other a couple months later.
Is there any real difference? Just curious....

I also noticed the one made in Malaysia has a flatter black colored cored with no lettering.
The Taiwan cord is shiny with lettering.

Maybe I just have too much time on my hands....

eddiespruce
08-24-2011, 06:51 PM
Well, I just looked at some of my Genesis controllers and what I can gather is that the early ones were made in Taiwan. The ones with red ABC buttons and some early white button ones have a shiny d-pad, and is a little stiffer than later ones.

The controllers I have that is made in Malaysia has a matte finish and is much more comfortable, like the official 6-button pads.

cableant
08-24-2011, 07:04 PM
Thanks
I just took a closer look at the d-pads and the Taiwan controller has a bit bigger d-pad than the other. All this time and I never noticed. They look identical otherwise.

Learn something new everyday......

eddiespruce
08-24-2011, 07:34 PM
Thanks
I just took a closer look at the d-pads and the Taiwan controller has a bit bigger d-pad than the other. All this time and I never noticed. They look identical otherwise.

Learn something new everyday......

Oh, and I also noticed that my official Sega 6-Button wireless pads are made in Japan. But yeah, to me the matte finish 3-button pads made in Malaysia feel more comfortable and not so stiff as the earlier ones that were made in Taiwan, just my preference though.

EDIT: I must correct myself, I didn't spend enough time looking at the Genesis pads. It turns out that you were right, the Taiwan & Malaysia pads have the same feel. The pad I have that has a matte finish and a much more comfortable D-pad is made in "China".

So yeah, that's 3 different countries of official Genesis pads. Who knows? There's probably more countries besides that who manufactured pads for Sega. Hope that answers your question correctly.:)

genesisguy
08-25-2011, 07:25 AM
I have a 3 button with the red lettering that wont work but it is in MINT shape. I've tried swapping some of it's parts with a white lettered controller and have found the innards to be complete different. The "motherboard" of the red lettered controller has much more wiring(for the lack of a better technical term) and I think what are capacitors. Also that little rubber gromet looking thing you place inbetween the D pad and the motherboard on the white lettered controller has a ball baring in the center, where as the red lettered controller contains no ball baring.

Golpezas
08-25-2011, 07:48 AM
The 1650 were my first MD/G controllers. Mine are made ​​in Taiwan and have a wire about 1 meter lenght.

Its internal design makes the d-pad very unreliable. When it broke it was impossible to do diagonals.