PDA

View Full Version : move TO Sega CD?

evildragon
10-30-2006, 10:52 PM
Is there a video player for the Sega CD?

For example: Take a video file on my computer, and burn a CD that's playable in the Sega CD? (i know the Cinpak coded is widely usable even today..)

Joe Redifer
10-30-2006, 10:56 PM
I highly, highly doubt it. It's not the codec that's the problem (and Cinepak is a crappy codec on any system/computer) but it's the fact that's you'll need plenty of 68000 code to boot the CD and then tell the Genesis to play it. You'll also need to convert the video into 16 out of 64 colors. Also not known is the sound codec, though it could probably be a non-proprietary think like 11025Hz 8-bit mono... nothing like MP2 or anything.

evildragon
10-30-2006, 11:03 PM
hmm, maybe I could just hack an exisiting game? MegaRace has a good video player, it's full-screen (almost), maybe if I simply find out it's format used, I can just replace the "intro" video, and technically use it to make a video player (and remove all other game data, essentially making it ONLY play that one video)..

Why can't I make a video with 64 colors? maybe if I use the 32X I can just use 15-bit color, and take a CD 32X game and hack that...

Joe Redifer
10-31-2006, 01:16 AM
You would have to choose the exact 64 colors the Genesis uses. And it can only put 61 real colors on the screen at a time, anyway. How many of those are for sprites only? I ask that since FMV is basically the background only.

evildragon
10-31-2006, 01:21 AM
You would have to choose the exact 64 colors the Genesis uses. And it can only put 61 real colors on the screen at a time, anyway. How many of those are for sprites only? I ask that since FMV is basically the background only.
well, the intro to MegaRace is completely just an FMV, no sprites or anything, and what I plan to do, is to replace that FMV with my own, perhaps even an episode of X Files (as an experiment)..

I think it would work, based on the video playing code that already is used on it...

If I had to make it greyscale, I can always do that.. (and it won't look that bad either..)

Elusive
10-31-2006, 02:28 PM
I believe Fonzie has an encoder, or a codec, or something for the Mega-CD in the works.

Fonzie
10-31-2006, 03:00 PM
héhé, just give me an url to download your short mpeg file (good quality but no more than 2 minutes)... I'll send you a segacd iso with bright vivid colors and sound ;P héhé...
I'm moving tomorow morning, so hurry up...

evildragon
10-31-2006, 03:12 PM
i don't have anything under 2 minutes, all my videos are 28 minutes...

can I just BETA test the encoder you're using?

Joe Redifer
11-01-2006, 02:03 AM
I sent you a Private Message, Fonzie.

Fonzie
11-01-2006, 02:13 AM
I'm sorry, since it gonna be used for a game, cannot release it for nown héh...
Seems i need to make a demo version ;)
To encode 28 minutes, it takes 3hours on my 3ghz P4... haha, that's why I asked for a short one ;).

Making a fmv on segacd is more complex than it could appear... because, if you want to have lot of colors you need to do enormous data processing to etablish color palettes and convert.
Then need to optimize picture to fit with cdrom 1X speed (the harder part, really)...

http://www.genny4ever.net/pics_works/eqx_mcd_2.gif
http://www.genny4ever.net/pics_works/eqx_mcd_3.gif
On those pics, you can see my nearly last codec&player in action...

Most FMV players on segacd don't go over 31 colors, this one can do 109 colors (if needed LOL) :D

My player supports both 50/60hz, can pause, can resize picture and play 8fps/16khz video/audio stream.

evildragon
11-01-2006, 02:53 AM
how can it do 109 colors? shadow-highlight tricks?

Fonzie
11-01-2006, 03:06 AM
Exactly. Shadow only... I planned to add hilight but it is a bit more complex, especialy for FMV ;)

"I sent you a Private Message, Fonzie." Okay, I rushed two quick encodings for you, please watch your PM's and feel free to share.

Joe Redifer
11-01-2006, 04:39 AM
OK thanks! I will test and then probably post. :)

Joe Redifer
11-01-2006, 05:15 AM
Alright, it worked! It isn't perfect yet, but this shows EXTREME promise! And although you advised me not to, I ran it on a real Sega CD (model 1) anyway. It works! It stutters here and there, but it works!

A little background. This was a video I shot by myself for no particular reason a few weeks back at 24fps and 16:9. I letterboxed it for Fonzie since MPEG1 cannot do 16:9. Fonzie made two versions;
Lo rez, 75% dithering (referred to here as VERSION 1)
Hi rez, 10% dithering (referred to here as VERSION 2)

Here are a couple comparison frames grabbed from an emulator:

http://pixelcraze.film-tech.net/crap/scdvideo1.jpg
__________________________________________________ __

http://pixelcraze.film-tech.net/crap/scdvideo2.jpg

I like version 1 better even though it is smaller. Fonzie says he is still working on some things, but like I said, it holds a lot of promise so far! There were between 55 and 59 colors onscreen at all times I checked. That's pretty damn good!

Fonzie
11-01-2006, 05:46 AM
Yeah, you can clearly notice here that the bitrate is variable, but.... cannot be more than 96KB/sec... so if the video becomes fullscreen and is very complex => Bang :P

Thx for the comments

Joe Redifer
11-01-2006, 06:05 AM
I'd also like to mention that although my face appears a bit too orange in the Sega CD screen caps above, it looks much more "skin-tone-ish" when looking at it on a real Sega CD. Maybe the emulator I was using (Gens) has the colors wrong?

Also, when I hold the START button to pause, does that turn OFF the shadow feature?

Fonzie
11-01-2006, 06:23 AM
yeah, turns off shadow ;)
In fact, i changed color saturation to 200% to be sure the thing wont be gray... But with my new encoder, it is possible to have 100% color fidelity... sorry, was a habit i had with my previous encoder ;)

djtwok
11-20-2006, 07:02 AM
Is it possible to run the player on a real sega cd or just on an emulator ?

Fonzie
11-20-2006, 07:21 AM
Umm, in fact, on real system, it seems to have seeking problems...

It will run but probably with some slowdowns/glitches.
I'll try to correct this when i'll merge this FMV player to a game.

Zebbe
11-20-2006, 09:12 AM
That Thunder Force III pic looks great, Joe. Did you draw it? Can you post it full size?

TheGZeus
11-20-2006, 09:25 AM
The best 'FMV' done on the Mega/Sega CD was all sprites and backgrounds.
Yumimi Mix, Popful Mail, perhaps the opening of Lords of Thunder.

If you were completely insane you could take photos, convert them, then cenvert every shot into a crazy number of frames, and deal with load times every scene.

See, i'm completely insane, but I have no idea HOW to do that, just that it would need to be done.
In short, I'd make a great corporate boss....wait, that's the opposite of the truth....

Joe Redifer
11-20-2006, 03:15 PM
Zebbe, yes I drew that. The artwork is too big for my scanner but maybe I'll take a digital photo of it.