PDA

View Full Version : Sega CD bug

Joe Redifer
12-09-2006, 11:04 PM
OMG! HELP! OK it's not that bad, but I just saw something I've never seen before, a non-Xbox360 game that crashed! I thought only Xbox360 games were allowed to crash. I was playing Popful Mail and right before the Mythril Guardian during the speech, this screen suddenly appears:

http://pixelcraze.film-tech.net/crap/segacdbug.jpg

This is the screen in RGB glory, because crashing in composite or RF just isn't good enough. Anyway the YM2612 music stopped as did the Sega CD PCM percussions, but the PCM voice track continued to play until the file was over. Fortunately I had saved just a minute or two before this happened (it's weird to actually be PLAYING videogames instead of spending time on the internet talking about them), and the bug did not repeat itself.

Should I write to Victor Ireland, or would it be better just to show up at his house carrying a flaming torch?

David J.
12-09-2006, 11:09 PM
Well, Working Designs liked to fuck with the translations... and I'd presume the program code also. Anyway, when I played some games in the past, like way before the Xbox360... my Genesis would lock up a few to,es. Sonic 2 would glitch up kind of often, and I've had Terminator 2 the Arcade Game glitch up before in the past.

So if you where to write to him... he'd hold a grudge for the next 100+ years.

nik
12-10-2006, 10:38 AM
Meh.

everything crashes, except women, they cause problems for just you instead, perfect operating machines and never fail, let me tell you!

evildragon
12-10-2006, 12:35 PM
hmm, it doesn't refer which main CPU.. (there's two here)..

it's possible it's the Genesis CPU, but im not certain of those address lines at the moment (im not home)..

Genesis Knight
12-10-2006, 04:02 PM
I've actually had my Genesis crash on me several times - not just mere locking up, actually crashes where game code is displayed with an error message!

Fonzie
12-10-2006, 05:41 PM
The main cpu refers as the genesis one, evil.
This sort of bugs is very strange for a segacd games because once the data is loaded into ram, it should not corrupt as fast as a cartridge game (exept if the game is badly coded)... I would sugest to clean your disc/lens and extention port connectic...

Joe Redifer
12-10-2006, 08:25 PM
It was streaming audio at the time, but like I said, the audio kept streaming after the bug screen appeared into that particular speech was finished. I am thinking maybe a bad connection between the Genesis and Sega CD, so I cleaned the connector.

Ash
12-10-2006, 08:36 PM
Error messages are fun. My favorites are Afterburner 2, usually get arcane messages in the upper right hand corner, and Robocop vs. Terminator used to turn to a blank screen with the words, "Woah, weird error man", give a screen full of hex and a phone number to call.