PDA

View Full Version : Sega Multi Mega CDR Problem (CDX)

two-rok
12-11-2006, 04:47 PM
i've recently bought a multi mega (european version of CDX) on ebay

it reads audio cd's originals and cdr's without any problems, but to play a game in cdr i have to try several times, don't have an original game yet so i don't know if it reads properly original games.

what do you guys recommend? should i ask for a refund? (the seller has already tell me that i could send it back) or is it easy to repair? if the lens is dying, is it easy to find a replacement?

for what i've read it's pretty much the same problem that evildragon has with it's sega cd system.

i really need your advice because it's such a great item, but if it's hard to repair than i guess i have no choice but to ask for a refund, please let me know your opinions.

Blades
12-20-2006, 04:02 PM
Hmm, it reads regular audio cds fine but not game cds? Try to obtain an original game as they tend to be cheap on ebay and easy to find. Try fast forwarding to the end of the audio cd and back. Also, try to press A before the game cd starts and try to play all the audio tracks in the game (if it has any). Also, where does it crash? What firmware is it (Its in top right)?

Good Luck,
Blades

Joe Redifer
12-20-2006, 07:22 PM
How about real game CDs (not CD-R's)? I'd adjust the laser so it had a tad more juice, but I've never opened a CD-X so I'm not sure exactly how to tell you to do that.

evildragon
12-20-2006, 09:13 PM
you know, this is a common problem actually... the system will be fine, can even play the glitchy CD+G's fine, but won't boot a game...

no one really can figure out why it happens.. Sega CD 2 R2 does this, so does the CDX.. It's been pointed to being a dead 315 chip, or a lose component..

Don't ask me how to fix it, i've been tackling my Sega CD 2 R2 for way to long, it's what brought me to buying a Sega CD 2 R1 from a member here, cause well, they don't get this wacky problem..

David J.
12-20-2006, 10:07 PM
How can you tell if you have a R2 Sega CD 2? or R1 Sega CD 2?

evildragon
12-20-2006, 10:23 PM
R2 SCDs have a ribbon coming off the laser assembly.. they also have a black spindle..

R1 SCDs have a lot of wires coming off them.. their spindle also has a silver ring..