08-06-2012, 09:17 PM
I was thinking about possible ways to get better quality digital audio from the sega genesis without huge files so I wrote a program that linearly re-samples a audio sample (in real time and in this case stored at 6000hz) and re samples it to 25600hz this made a slight but not significant difference which makes sense because re-sampling can not magically create more data from less data but I think this kind of smoothed out the sample abit and made it quieter before I removed the shift to the right by 1. Removing it increased the volume at the cost of very minor peaking after removing it the volume seemed for the most part the same between no re-sampling and re sampling. However I think that my test was unfair because I used only regen and kega fusion to test it (I do not have a flash cart) and emulators perform their own re-sampling. If anybody has a flash cart to test it that would be great. Here is the demo + source for both players with and without re-sampling.Note: originally I was going to use two buffers but I didn't see how this would improve performance in my case so I just used byte by byte.