PDA

View Full Version : sonic CD ending hints Knuckles Chaotix?

evildragon
12-19-2006, 04:11 PM
I just watched the Sonic CD ending again, and noticed something.. when the video clip resizes for the credits, it shows a scene where sonic is falling, bouncing off boxes, with a gradient background..

doesn't that resemble one of the Knuckles Chaotix special stages? it does, it has a stunning resemblance.. I'll try and get screen caps of it..

Elusive
12-19-2006, 04:41 PM
I just watched the Sonic CD ending again, and noticed something.. when the video clip resizes for the credits, it shows a scene where sonic is falling, bouncing off boxes, with a gradient background..

doesn't that resemble one of the Knuckles Chaotix special stages? it does, it has a stunning resemblance.. I'll try and get screen caps of it..

I think it's a coincidence, to be honest. Sonic jumping from block to block isn't really anything new.

evildragon
12-19-2006, 05:07 PM
but i mean, that's one hell of a coincidence.. it looks EXACTLY like the 32X game..

Joe Redifer
12-19-2006, 08:04 PM
If anything, Knuckles' Chaotix got its idea from that.

David J.
12-19-2006, 08:06 PM
but i mean, that's one hell of a coincidence.. it looks EXACTLY like the 32X game..

Maybe, but you're thinking way too hard into it.

evildragon
12-19-2006, 10:57 PM
knuckles chaotix probably did get it from it...

the similarities are just too great... anyways, i tried to get a screenshot, but the Sega Video Player crashes when the video window normally resizes..

megadriveworld
12-20-2006, 04:57 PM
get one from an emulator, print screen, it will be so much clearer.

megadriveworld
12-20-2006, 05:07 PM
http://youtube.com/watch?v=iM0IepBBwds

Here's a video of the Sonic CD ending, I see the Sonic boucning off boxes scene, and yeah it does resemble the Chaotix special stages quite a bit, They probably did use this scene as an idea for Chaotix, but perhaps Chaotix was being developed in-house by this time anyway, and perhaps it was already on the drawing board as an idea for Chaotix anyway, and they just included a scene that resembled it in the video, you never really know unless you worked at Sega, so a few possibilties here.

evildragon
12-20-2006, 05:13 PM
you just gave me an idea, i'll ask my neighbor..

megadriveworld
12-20-2006, 05:17 PM
if this Sega neighbour exists of course...

Anyway, here's a screenshot from the vid showing the scene that resembles the Chaotix special stage with the boxes,

http://img300.imageshack.us/img300/4797/boxhv0.jpg

evildragon
12-20-2006, 05:41 PM
he does..

just got back.. he doesn't know.. i showed him, he says they do look similar, but he doesn't know about why they are similar..

Joe Redifer
12-20-2006, 08:04 PM
I thought Knuckles' Chaotix came from Sonic Crackers (racist title) which started development loooooooooooong after the much ballyhooed Sonic CD.

Elusive
12-21-2006, 05:36 PM
http://youtube.com/watch?v=iM0IepBBwds

Here's a video of the Sonic CD ending, I see the Sonic boucning off boxes scene, and yeah it does resemble the Chaotix special stages quite a bit, They probably did use this scene as an idea for Chaotix, but perhaps Chaotix was being developed in-house by this time anyway, and perhaps it was already on the drawing board as an idea for Chaotix anyway, and they just included a scene that resembled it in the video, you never really know unless you worked at Sega, so a few possibilties here.

...it's just Sonic jumping from box to box into the screen.

edit: In-house development doesn't mean the dev teams for Knuckles' Chaotix and Sonic CD were like in offices next to each other. "Hey Bill, like the Chaotix special stage. Can we borrow it for our CD Sonic game? Me and the guys are scratching our heads here." "Sure thing, Tom. Hey - catch me later, I'll buy ya a beer." "OK, but get Mike to take that damn bike out of the hallway, I almost tripped over that thing this morning."

I hear Sonic Advance has a similar special stage, think there's a connection??

Sonic Crackers? It's just a tech demo for some trippy gameplay physics, later cannibalised by the Chaotix dev team.

evildragon
12-21-2006, 07:17 PM
i didn't even know Sonic Advance has a special stage.. i never seen it, and i have that cart (but it's been years)...

sonic and crackers was proven to be the basis for Chaotix.. the music is even the same in them..

Joe Redifer
12-21-2006, 08:32 PM
Bill and Tom sound like great guys. Mike sounds like an asshole.

Joe Redifer
12-22-2006, 12:47 AM
From what I remember of Chaotix's special stage, he's running through polygon land, not bouncing on boxes.

evildragon
12-22-2006, 12:59 AM
From what I remember of Chaotix's special stage, he's running through polygon land, not bouncing on boxes.
there's two special stages in Chaotix.. one in a tunnel, and one falling onto boxes..

Mr Smith
12-22-2006, 07:48 AM
It says a lot about Chaotix if it was inspired by an ending sequence from another sub-parr Sonic game. Although I seem to recall the special stage idea being a nice one, in practice I remember it being so annoying that things got thrown and pets got kicked.

Joe Redifer
12-22-2006, 08:44 PM
How the hell do I get to the bouncing box special stage? I can only get to the polygon tunnel special stage (which is pretty fun).

Elusive
12-23-2006, 07:53 AM
How the hell do I get to the bouncing box special stage? I can only get to the polygon tunnel special stage (which is pretty fun).

It's something to do with the number of rings you have, I think. Like S&K's special stages, come to think of it. Is Chaotix based on that too???? IT EVEN HAS KNUCKLES IN THE TITLE

edit: VV check your sarcasm detector dude :]

Mr Smith
12-23-2006, 09:25 AM
It's something to do with the number of rings you have, I think. Like S&K's special stages, come to think of it. Is Chaotix based on that too???? IT EVEN HAS KNUCKLES IN THE TITLE

That sounds a bit too far fetched for my liking.