PDA

View Full Version : New Atgames console: Am i wrong for wanting this?

Saturn Fan
10-24-2012, 02:27 PM
Upcoming Atgames Genesis console. Have never had an Atgames unit before and curiosity on this piece alone makes it tempting, plus taking it apart and seeing how it looks and if anything can be modded(i'm a tech guy).

Also buying new licensed "Sega hardware" after all these years kinda has a neat charm to it. Classic Sega software does not get enough appreciation as is, don't we want to support such an effort?

The game selection also looks pretty good, its practically an Sonic's Ultimate Genesis collection equivalent. Every Sonic, Streets of Rage, Golden Axe, Shinobi, Ecco, and Vectorman in one unit? Plus other classics like Altered Beast, Decap Attack, and Comix Zone. Thats pretty awesome.

Releasing in early November:

Note- Only 40 games are Genesis titles. The rest are flash game fluff.
http://www.atgames.us/Classic-Game-Console-PRE-ORDER-FB8200R-80.htm
http://digthatbox.com/sitebuildercontent/sitebuilderpictures/Video_Games/AtGames-Sega-Genesis.jpg

TrekkiesUnite118
10-24-2012, 02:30 PM
Unless they've dramatically improved the sound quality, don't buy it. AtGames consoles have horrid sound emulation, bad compatibility, and a slew of other problems. They don't use real hardware like most other clones. They instead use a Titan ARM CPU running a bad emulator.

Lastcallhall
10-24-2012, 03:03 PM
There's a reason people call it shatgames, crapgames, etc. I wouldn't waste my time.

Christuserloeser
10-24-2012, 03:08 PM
People think Kega Fusion when they hear that the AtGames machines use emulation, but that is not the case at all. Think Sega Smash Pack Vol. 1 on Dreamcast.

The Jackal
10-24-2012, 03:14 PM
@ Thread title: Yes, yes you are.

Saturn Fan
10-24-2012, 07:28 PM
New videos on the unit by a guy named locutus. He claims the latest version of the AtgamesEmu software performs better:

Part 1:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WrRxpQPEkvw&feature=channel&list=UL

Part 2:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cLn6in4-c5U&feature=channel&list=UL

^^ Video emulation looks solid, and the audio appears about 94% there. Its not bad for a device that is basically a knock-off Genesis console. Wish the fool in the video would have paused more during gameplay to get a better listen though.

Also why do NONE of the Atgames handhelds EVER have controller ports? Being stuck with the handheld's controls forever, is kinda lame.

QuickSciFi
10-24-2012, 07:33 PM
People think Kega Fusion when they hear that the AtGames machines use emulation, but that is not the case at all. Think Sega Smash Pack Vol. 1 on Dreamcast.

Is it that bad (The Smash Pack Vol. 1)? I only popped it in once. I need to check it out again to see what the fuzz is all about.

Christuserloeser
10-24-2012, 07:36 PM
There's a segment showing Sonic 1 in part 2 of above video review. It sounds identical to how it sounded like four years ago: incredibly out of tune and distorted.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cLn6in4-c5U&t=11m00s

"....I'll lower the volume a bit more here." :|

Just to remind you, here's how it's supposed to sound like

uIsEzKbMgyA

Is it that bad (The Smash Pack Vol. 1)? I only popped it in once. I need to check it out again to see what the fuzz is all about.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UXwJPSAJI2U&t=2m30s

TrekkiesUnite118
10-24-2012, 07:39 PM
New videos on the unit by a guy named locutus. He claims the latest version of the AtgamesEmu software performs better:

Part 1:

Part 2:

^^ Video emulation looks solid, and the audio appears about 94% there. Its not bad for a device that is basically a knock-off Genesis console. Wish the fool in the video would have paused more during gameplay to get a better listen though.

Also why do NONE of the Atgames handhelds EVER have controller ports? Being stuck with the handheld's controls forever, is kinda lame.

The audio is no where near where it should be. Listen to Sonic and Knuckles in Part 2. It sounds exactly as it does on the original Firecore. A few octaves out of tune.

Saturn Fan
10-24-2012, 07:47 PM
The audio is no where near where it should be. Listen to Sonic and Knuckles in Part 2. It sounds exactly as it does on the original Firecore. A few octaves out of tune.

Oh. I've played and beaten all the games but never spent much time with Sonic and Knuckles. I was always huge into Sonic 1 & Sonic CD(w/some Sonic 2 on occasion). Sonic 3, Knuckles, and Spinball were titles in the main series i neglected.

From what dreadfully little time that fool spent with Sonic 1, its music seemed nice(needed more time to fully assess of coarse). Altered Beast sounded faithful for the most part with what little we heard.

Christuserloeser
10-24-2012, 07:48 PM
Updated my previous post.

NeoVamp
10-24-2012, 08:10 PM
What's new about this? looks like the same old console model they've been using for years now,
I think the only thing that's different is that it comes with more build in games this time.

Saturn Fan
10-24-2012, 08:16 PM
What's new about this? looks like the same old console model they've been using for years now,
I think the only thing that's different is that it comes with more build in games this time.

Yup physically it appears the same. Except for maybe the wireless module, i think thats more of a recent thing. Anyway, the emulation software was supposed to be updated.

The game selection is pretty nice at least. They could keep their flash game KOs though lol.

TrekkiesUnite118
10-24-2012, 08:47 PM
Oh. I've played and beaten all the games but never spent much time with Sonic and Knuckles. I was always huge into Sonic 1 & Sonic CD(w/some Sonic 2 on occasion). Sonic 3, Knuckles, and Spinball were titles in the main series i neglected.

From what dreadfully little time that fool spent with Sonic 1, its music seemed nice(needed more time to fully assess of coarse). Altered Beast sounded faithful for the most part with what little we heard.

Altered Beast didn't sound right either. Listen to Streets of Rage in the Part 2 video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cLn6in4-c5U&t=15m1s

Here's how that should sound:
6cta2rMTcE8

Mick_aka said it best, you could get a more authentic experience shoving a Genesis cart in between your ass cheeks and sitting down quickly screaming "SEGA!".

jerry coeurl
10-24-2012, 09:25 PM

Because they're cheap pieces of shit. Seriously, don't encourage them. Don't give AtGames your money.

The Coop
10-24-2012, 09:41 PM

Part 1:

Part 2:

As someone who has two functioning ears, I'm left wondering if ANY of the employees at Atgames have such a trait.

Saturn Fan
10-24-2012, 09:55 PM
Because they're cheap pieces of shit. Seriously, don't encourage them. Don't give AtGames your money.

But its as much a curiosity buy for me also. Not unlike other knock-off gaming devices out there(Ex: those spiffy, outlandish NES clones that look like X-Boxs, etc).

I figure i can turn out and sell it on e-bay if its not worth keeping at all.

Guntz
10-24-2012, 10:45 PM
Buy used, don't give money to shatgames.

Saturn Fan
10-25-2012, 01:22 AM
Ah well then.

You gotta admit the gaming selection rocks at least. No longer the pitiful 8-15 games in previous releases. Having so many must-have titles that defined the system on one unit is pretty nice.

Guntz
10-25-2012, 01:31 AM
Doesn't mean much when they don't even sound right. Shatgames hardware spits in the face of the Genesis legacy. Whatever you do, don't give them money, regardless of your intentions, it tells them to keep selling crap.

Soulis
10-25-2012, 06:27 AM
Man, i couldn't even play for 1 minute if the games sounded so wrong... that Sonic 1 video was depressing, i wouldn't even get one of these for free...

madmax2069
10-25-2012, 07:04 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cLn6in4-c5U&

Oh God, how could streets of rage 2 sound so horrid. I mean it sounds like a cluster %&#$ on a grinding wheel, it makes sonic and knuckles in that video sound good.

My advice, stay far away from these devices. Buy a used Genesis if you want a Genesis, or a clone with a known good version of a goac in it.

Solkia
10-25-2012, 07:10 AM
There's a segment showing Sonic 1 in part 2 of above video review. It sounds identical to how it sounded like four years ago: incredibly out of tune and distorted.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cLn6in4-c5U&t=11m00s

Oh my god. Oh. My. God.

Wow, I'd heard bad things about the AtGames stuff, but Christ, it's like they were actually trying to make it bad.

EDIT: As little of a difference it makes, I did notice it has Wily Wars on there .

Cornholio857
10-25-2012, 09:07 AM
AtGames: Raping your childhood one "console" at a time.

Ace
10-25-2012, 09:27 AM
Video emulation looks solid, and the audio appears about 94% there.

94% there...?

WHAT THE HELL ARE YOU SMOKING?!?!

This is about as far off as it gets! I wouldn't even rank this 50% there, more like 10% there. And the video... well, I can't comment on the new AtGames shits, but on my Genesis Arcade Motion Dual, it SUCKS!! WAY too bright, very blurry, and an IMMENSE amount of what I can describe as "stationary" dot crawl (basically, graphics look jagged like if there was dot crawl except the checkerboard pattern that makes vertical lines look jagged is stationary). The video emulation itself isn't even very good as follows:

-Many games have graphical errors on the left side of the screen which show up as flickering black lines
-Some games like Thunder Force IV have graphical errors on certain parts of the screen
-Other games, including Thunder Force IV, have noticeable sprite priority errors (using Thunder Force IV as an example, you can see graphics over the status bar when this shouldn't happen)
-Several games have horizontal resolution issues where certain columns of pixels are doubled (not rows, oddly enough)
-It might be possible for some games to have severely corrupted graphics (Nigel Mansell's World Championship Racing comes to mind)

Do yourself a favor and stay away from AtGames' shit unless you want to join me in showing people the massive turds they are. On that note, if I don't see the Genesis Arcade Classic (the console) anywhere in Canada, someone please send me one so I can expose this son of a bitch for what it really is.

gamevet
10-25-2012, 10:17 AM
If you seriously need to play these games, download K-fusion; it does a much better job.

djshok
10-25-2012, 12:48 PM
Yeah man, just buy yourself a USB controller online and emulate on your computer if that's your thing. Coincidentally a new version of Good Gen just came out that includes even more Genesis roms.

I agree with all the sentiment about not giving AT Games your money. They shouldn't be encouraged to make these abominations. In addition to all the comments about the emulation being poor, their products are very cheaply built. With the cart slots not being exactly the right size and the plastic cases being terribly cheap, chances are you'd break the thing trying to plug an actual Sega cart in there. Just take that $40 and go buy yourself some beers.

Saturn Fan
10-25-2012, 01:28 PM
Yeah man, just buy yourself a USB controller online and emulate on your computer if that's your thing. Coincidentally a new version of Good Gen just came out that includes even more Genesis roms.

I agree with all the sentiment about not giving AT Games your money. They shouldn't be encouraged to make these abominations. In addition to all the comments about the emulation being poor, their products are very cheaply built. With the cart slots not being exactly the right size and the plastic cases being terribly cheap, chances are you'd break the thing trying to plug an actual Sega cart in there. Just take that $40 and go buy yourself some beers.

Whats Good Gen?

Guntz
10-25-2012, 01:39 PM
Or buy a real Sega Genesis with some controllers and games. $40 can get you a lot on the Genesis.

Cucollins12
10-25-2012, 02:12 PM
nah you arent wrong.. a that thing gave wireless controls... GENESIS GAMES WITH WIRELESS CONTROLS FOR GOD SAKE!

Solkia
10-25-2012, 02:18 PM
nah you arent wrong.. a that thing gave wireless controls... GENESIS GAMES WITH WIRELESS CONTROLS FOR GOD SAKE!

http://www.cedmagic.com/tech-info/remote-control/sega-joystick.jpg

Speaking of which I need to get one of these and an arcade stick one of these days.

Thunderblaze16
10-25-2012, 02:57 PM
By supporting Atgames, your supporting terrorism.

Gogogadget
10-25-2012, 04:09 PM
I actually have one of these units (unwanted gift)

Yeah, they make your ears bleed, although i'm not really sure why people never mention this, if the sound doesn't kill it for you, their units are really unstable, everytime i've ever played a game on it it's hung or just been glitchy, don't waste your money.

marlowe221
10-26-2012, 10:59 AM
It boggles the mind why they don't just use a decent emulator if that's the route they are going. Is it much more difficult to install a good one versus a craptacular one?

I'm a fan of Kega Fusion. I travel a lot for work so I have it on my laptop and take a logitech usb pad with me. I also use it to audition games that are on the pricey side to see if they are worth a purchase for me (I'm a gamer, not a collector).

I love real hardware as much as anyone but I do think that clones and emulators have their place. But it would help to not be shitty!

TrekkiesUnite118
10-26-2012, 11:00 AM
Kega Fusion is written for Windows on x86 architecture if I remember correctly. It would need to be completely rewritten to work on the 32 bit ARM CPUs AtGames uses.

Gogogadget
10-26-2012, 12:29 PM
Yeah, they'd need to port it, still worth doing however, at least then they can include 32X support.

Soulis
10-27-2012, 06:24 AM
It doesn't have to be Fusion. Most other Emulators should be better than this POS. Even the very first emulators that i can remember, like Genesyst on Win98, was miles better than this POS.

mick_aka
10-27-2012, 11:32 AM
By supporting Atgames, your supporting terrorism.

Just found my new signature...