PDA

View Full Version : AES vs MVS

evildragon
10-27-2012, 12:05 AM
Because Drakon didn't start the thread (and I secretly hoped he would).

Go discuss the differences you think you guys see between AES and MVS releases.

sheath
10-27-2012, 12:07 AM
It's all the same. Huge cartridges, tons of ROM, no sprites, great fighters and shooters and that's about it.

sketch
10-27-2012, 01:44 AM
I figured the only difference between the two is the output/display. I always understood the games were identical between the two platforms...

evildragon
10-27-2012, 01:46 AM
Yea, I'm pretty sure they are identical, with the TV/monitor being the only difference.

sketch
10-27-2012, 01:48 AM
Yea, I'm pretty sure they are identical, with the TV/monitor being the only difference.

That, and the ungodly prices you have to pay for AES games. If it were affordable (as classic gaming should be), I would collect for the Neo Geo, but the pricing on games is just outrageous. Not sure who can afford to collect AES games.

evildragon
10-27-2012, 01:58 AM
Not me, that's why I like my Genesis.

Lastcallhall
10-27-2012, 02:41 AM
If you can live with getting the occasional title here and there, as opposed to mass collecting, getting AES titles is kinda fun. The thrill is in the hunt, at least, that's how it is for me. However, I do go into this knowing that a) I'm never going to get every game I want at under 50 bucks, b) some titles will have to be MVS (which is why I consolized a 2 slot - cheaper than buying those 100+ AES games in the long run, and c) unless I'm very lucky, I'll probably have to resort to alternative means to play games like Garou: MOTW and SNK vs Capcom. I essentially keep my head in check, and only spend when I know I can afford it. It's been a fun year for collecting so far, I have to admit. :)

/$0.02

Joe Redifer
10-27-2012, 03:16 AM
It's all the same.

Not quite. I can actually record the video output of my AES without any issues. Being able to record the gameplay is VERY important for me. I borrowed an MVS once and I would get timing artifacts once every 8 seconds or so during the recorded video. So the timing between the two must be different. AES is timed better for things that I use to record. Also the MVS I used was mono only. Blech! Now this may just have been a weak, gimpy MVS but it sure left me unimpressed and made me appreciate the AES much more.

no sprites
I think you mean ONLY sprites.

sketch
10-27-2012, 03:45 AM
If you can live with getting the occasional title here and there, as opposed to mass collecting, getting AES titles is kinda fun. The thrill is in the hunt, at least, that's how it is for me. However, I do go into this knowing that a) I'm never going to get every game I want at under 50 bucks, b) some titles will have to be MVS (which is why I consolized a 2 slot - cheaper than buying those 100+ AES games in the long run, and c) unless I'm very lucky, I'll probably have to resort to alternative means to play games like Garou: MOTW and SNK vs Capcom. I essentially keep my head in check, and only spend when I know I can afford it. It's been a fun year for collecting so far, I have to admit. :)

/$0.02

Consolized MVS seems like the way to go if you want to play Neo Geo on original hardware. The initial cost can be a bit steep (assuming you can't build it yourself, which I can't), but it's definitely much more reasonable for buying games. Still a bit too steep for me, but I can see collecting MVS. AES blows me away, with people paying $300+ for Metal Slug games. That just doesn't make sense to me.

TmEE
10-27-2012, 06:21 AM
Arcade machine does not quite use NTSC timings, derived from 24MHz IIRC. I think that explains the timing errors Joe got. AES has an additional clock source in it to fix that.
There is also some differences in the cartriges too

Drakon
10-27-2012, 08:09 AM
Haha. The AES obviously has a slower graphics processor, less ram, and it can't play more than one pcm sample at the same tiiiiiimmmmmmmmeeeeeeeee

And yes the consolized mvs is the way to go, or what I did and use a supergun. Speaking of which I scored a free copy of shock troopers that I can't wait to play once we're moved!

playgen
10-27-2012, 10:26 AM
Neo Geo AES games aren't really that expensive now in comparison to other systems. While the Neo Geo games have stayed pretty stable in price, games for Snes and Mega Drive have shot up. So the many AES games that can be picked up for around 30 which once seemed expensive, now seem quite cheap as there are lots of games on the everyman 16bit systems that fetch that. When People talk about the price of Neo Geo games they typically quote the 10,000 for Kinzuno Encounter or whatever it was, but its not like you HAVE to buy the few games that do fetch a ton of cash, just as you don't HAVE to buy a genuine copy of Tetris for the Mega Drive, or Darxide for the 32X etc.

If you just want to play the games then an MVS of some description is the best bet (or cheaper still the compilations for PS2 and such), but the AES is much more interesting from a collecting point of view. I like to collect for the AES, I have 22 games now and I've not spent that much on it, probably less than the so called cheaper consoles simply because I have bought less games. You can just as easily spend a fortune buying lots of cheap games at 3-5 a time as you can buying the occasional more expensive game for a console that doesn't have a particularly big library of games to choose from.

Guntz
10-28-2012, 01:22 AM
Go discuss the differences you think you guys see between AES and MVS

The AES has no backup RAM (thus no internal battery), contains an NTSC video encoder circuit, different BIOS, the cartridges contain the PRO-CT0 / NEO-ZMC2 chip / NEO-CMC (rather than the motherboard) and the cartridge slot is 200 pins rather than 240 pins.

Despite all the technical differences, the only thing that matters on Neo-Geo is how the games play, and they play exactly the same between cartridge formats.

Joe Redifer
10-28-2012, 01:46 AM
What are the extra 40 pins used for? Surely you could hook up a Super FX2 or something with those extra pins and have games as powerful as Yoshi's Island. I know the cart slots are differently sized to prevent arcade MVS operators from buying the cheaper AES carts. Yes, AES used to cost less.

AES games are expensive but to hear some MVS fans say it, MVS carts cost only pennies. The most expensive game might be $10 or so and the supply is virtually unlimited. MVS owners absolutely HATE AES owners with a burning, searing passion, it seems.

sheath
10-28-2012, 09:32 AM
Not quite. I can actually record the video output of my AES without any issues. Being able to record the gameplay is VERY important for me. I borrowed an MVS once and I would get timing artifacts once every 8 seconds or so during the recorded video. So the timing between the two must be different. AES is timed better for things that I use to record. Also the MVS I used was mono only. Blech! Now this may just have been a weak, gimpy MVS but it sure left me unimpressed and made me appreciate the AES much more.

I think you mean ONLY sprites.

Oh yeah, that is what I meant. Anyway, I keep forgetting that I have a, uh, whichever one is the Arcade board in the closet along with Samurai Shodown and a shoddily constructed Supergun. I wonder if I should rig this thing up in my Console cabinet. Every time I look at it all I see is a rat's nest of wires that make my mind turn to mush.

Guntz
10-28-2012, 02:14 PM
What are the extra 40 pins used for?

The 40 pin difference has to do with the data multiplexing and mapping. I guess by having the PRO-CT0 / etc chip on the cartridge, they don't need as many pins on the cartridge slot.

Surely you could hook up a Super FX2 or something with those extra pins and have games as powerful as Yoshi's Island. I know the cart slots are differently sized to prevent arcade MVS operators from buying the cheaper AES carts. Yes, AES used to cost less.

They're not really "extra pins", but yes you could probably fit an add-on CPU into the cartridge for graphics processing. It'd be the only way to do more with the Neo-Geo, since not only is the 68k too slow to really render anything, but it does not have access to C ROMs (graphics).

AES games are expensive but to hear some MVS fans say it, MVS carts cost only pennies. The most expensive game might be $10 or so and the supply is virtually unlimited. MVS owners absolutely HATE AES owners with a burning, searing passion, it seems.

Haha, that's funny. While most fighters are indeed cheap, there's quite a few expensive MVS games. The only $10 MVS game I know of is Samurai Shodown 1.

I don't hate either side. I buy cheap games on AES and get the pricier games on MVS.

Drakon
10-28-2012, 09:15 PM
Yikes, uhh, man you know a lot about neo geo stuff don't you?

The 40 pin difference has to do with the data multiplexing and mapping. I guess by having the PRO-CT0 / etc chip on the cartridge, they don't need as many pins on the cartridge slot.

They're not really "extra pins", but yes you could probably fit an add-on CPU into the cartridge for graphics processing. It'd be the only way to do more with the Neo-Geo, since not only is the 68k too slow to really render anything, but it does not have access to C ROMs (graphics).

Haha, that's funny. While most fighters are indeed cheap, there's quite a few expensive MVS games. The only $10 MVS game I know of is Samurai Shodown 1.

I don't hate either side. I buy cheap games on AES and get the pricier games on MVS.

Guntz
10-29-2012, 01:17 AM
I really don't know that much, just some basic stuff. I enjoy reading the technical aspects of the Neo Geo hardware, fascinating stuff.

evilevoix
10-29-2012, 11:01 PM
All carts, AES & MVS hold home, arcade, and multi language/region settings. I just got 4 AES games for $50, nice ones too.

Guntz
10-29-2012, 11:30 PM
Which games?

slobu
10-30-2012, 10:08 AM
Aren't most pirate "n games in 1" carts AES?

Lastcallhall
10-30-2012, 10:32 AM
Aren't most pirate "n games in 1" carts AES?

No, they're all mvs carts.

Guntz
10-30-2012, 01:47 PM
Yeah, they're all on MVS format. However, you can buy a 161-in-1 AES cart on the Neo Store (neo-geo.com). It's very expensive unfortunately.

evilevoix
11-01-2012, 10:15 PM
Which games?

King of the monsters 2, fighters history dynamite, league bowling, king of fighters 96'

Guntz
11-02-2012, 01:38 PM
Even if those are JP versions, $50 is a killer price for those games, WOW.