PDA

View Full Version : CHESS -- Where to buy it???

Ecco
11-04-2012, 10:43 AM
EDIT: I'VE ALREADY BOUGHT THIS ages ago. Thread bumped for new questions in the last post!

Hey I know there was a thread about this a long time ago, but the site that was recommended at that time, was shut down soon after.

I finally have a little spending $$ and chess is my favorite game in the world actually. Does anyone know where to buy Chess from, as a buyer in the U.S.? A quick Google search did not turn up anything (and nothing on ebay or Amazon)...

Any help would be appreciated!

QQG96nAOn2w

NostalgicMachine
11-04-2012, 10:55 AM
I'm pretty sure I've seen multiple copies of this cart in the used game store in my area...

Ecco
11-04-2012, 11:12 AM
^Well if you see it then hook me up man. lol I'd gladly pay someone for a used copy of it...

NostalgicMachine
11-04-2012, 11:15 AM
I'm almost positive I've seen the cart just chilling in the bin more than once; if I come across it, I'll snag it and we will go from there!

Ecco
11-04-2012, 11:16 AM
^Thanks! I hope u can find it! Let me know!

David J.
11-04-2012, 01:18 PM
Um, isn't this a unlicensed game?

QuickSciFi
11-04-2012, 01:44 PM
Unlicensed and, more importantly, unreleased.

Zebbe
11-04-2012, 01:46 PM
I'd also like to buy a copy.

djshok
11-04-2012, 03:48 PM
The original is an unlicensed Russian production made back in 1998, it might be really hard to track down. There's a Russian site that sells them but last I heard they don't ship out of the country. So, I say talk to your friendly repro makers. I made cover art and a label for it so it's all ready to go.

Artwork at bottom of page:
http://www.sega-16.com/forum/showthread.php?16572-Repro-cover-art-and-general-appreciation-thread!&p=424958&highlight=chess#post424958

Other relevant links:
http://segaage.com/forum/messageview.cfm?catid=43&threadid=86597
http://segaage.com/forum/messageview.cfm?catid=43&threadid=84267

Ecco
11-04-2012, 05:46 PM
^Cool links but I'm not familiar with Sega Age, & actually it wasn't working for me to try to join the site just now.

If anyone is already on that site, please feel free to ask about Chess repro's? I'm a definite customer of CHESS if anyone is willing to make one for me...

Also anyone can feel free to PM me too...
Thanks!

djshok
11-05-2012, 12:42 PM
If you guys are having trouble signing up for Sega Age (don't know why though, it should work) you can contact dra600n on here: http://www.sega-16.com/forum/member.php?28381-dra600n

Ecco
11-05-2012, 01:32 PM
Cool I'll try to sign up for that site again; I don't know why it didn't work but maybe that picture-recognition thing could have been glitching out, bc it kept saying that I was failing that picture test. So whatever, I'll try again.

But I mean maybe u also want to give the repro guy a link to this thread here, or to my profile? He might appreciate it. lol I'm a definite customer for CHESS as soon as I can make the purchase somewhere...

djshok
11-05-2012, 05:21 PM
I told him you were interested. You should message him on the site here he's expecting you lol. (Or on SegaAge if the signup thing works out).

Ecco
11-05-2012, 07:55 PM
^Thanks, I didn't notice that u had a link to his profile on this site too. PM'd him and hopefully he can make a nice repro for me. :cool:

Moirai
11-05-2012, 08:17 PM
Tis looks interesting, I'll have to check it out on my everdrive

old man
11-05-2012, 08:49 PM
I could have sworn there was a Chess Master on the Genesis. (checks wikipedia) It was a sega channel exclusive.

goldenband
11-05-2012, 10:57 PM
Huh, very interesting. There's a short discussion here (http://www.segaretro.org/Talk:Sega_Channel).

Is there any way to, uh, forensically examine the circulating "Chess" ROM to see whether it was programmed using the typical Russo-Chinese dev tools? If it turns out to be the Chessmaster ROM from the Sega Channel (hacked or not), that'd be brilliant; I haven't played the Chess ROM enough to know whether there's anything obvious.

BTW Ecco, do you play USCF tournaments?

djshok
11-06-2012, 04:32 PM
Hmm yeah I too wonder if that's a hacked Chessmaster or an original game. There are at least 2 versions of the rom, one is in Russian the other is in English, so if it is a hack, I wonder if it was hacked to Russian then back to English...

Ecco
11-07-2012, 10:49 PM
Strange, I thought I always heard there was only one chess game for Genesis, which is the Russian thing.

So could the Sega Channel Chessmaster have been a totally different game???

Does anyone have video of the Genesis Chessmaster? Or any more info about all this?

YouTube only has SNES Chessmaster vids, but it doesn't look the same as the Genesis Russian game...

Here check out SNES Chessmaster:
R8JOXsC8jk0

And here's the Genesis Padis game:
QQG96nAOn2w

BTW Ecco, do you play USCF tournaments?

^No but the last few months, I've been enjoying Chess.com, for live chess and turn-based chess.

When I say that chess is my favorite game, it is, but I'm not awesome at it, or anything. lol I must be slowly getting better, especially with all these games online the last few months... I only have 2 friends in real life who play, so the website should help me polish my skills much more. lol

Ecco
11-27-2012, 10:32 AM
GAMEPLAY QUESTION: Putting difficulty to max, makes each turn from the CPU take FOREVER. What's up with that!? How can the CPU need 4 or 5 min. for each turn? Was this normal for chess videogames at the time??? (I have GG Chessmaster and it does the same thing, taking forever when the difficulty is up. I have SW Chess but I don't remember if it does this or not.)

How do people play these older chess videogames, on higher difficulty or max? Like, what do u do when the CPU takes 5 min. each turn? I don't imagine anyone sits and stares at the screen the whole time. Do u go make a sandwich? Surf the web? Take a shower?

GENESIS QUESTIONS:

Looking up Chessmaster on Wikipedia, it says nothing except mentioning a version for "Sega Genesis (as a Sega Channel exclusive)." I'm still skeptical!
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chessmaster

Huh, very interesting. There's a short discussion here (http://www.segaretro.org/Talk:Sega_Channel).

^Interesting but ur link only states the existence of a Chessmaster on Sega Channel. No info or pics! So I still wonder if it's true or not!!! (At the link, someone even asks if the game ever went "live" or not on S.Channel. So it's very unclear.)

Anyone know for sure??? Always heard there was only ONE chess game for Genesis (the Russian repro).

So was there REALLY a different S. Channel Chessmaster? If so, then is the Russian repro the same game, re-programmed???

This is like one of the last great mysteries of the Genesis, but so few people play chess, that we may never find out...

ALSO there is Chessmaster for Game Gear, & apparently there is "Sega Chess" for Master System.

So it's even possible that someone just got confused w/ all these diff. chess games & platforms, especially that "Sega Chess" could be played on the Genesis with a Power Base Converter. People could be remembering things wrong & mixing up names & platforms, maybe...

TmEE
11-27-2012, 10:48 AM
When those 5mins are spent on good moves you will spend that time too later in the game when you realize your ass is soon being handed to you on a plate...

Ecco
11-27-2012, 10:57 AM
When those 5mins are spent on good moves you will spend that time too later in the game when you realize your ass is soon being handed to you on a plate...

Haha I know. At least 5 min. moves, does resemble playing friends in real life. OTOH a real person will never spend 5min. deciding which pawn to move for his opening moves. lol But beyond that it resembles playing a real person who takes a few min. to think for each turn... Plus with so much time to plan each of MY moves, I have no excuse for losing...

Also I guess I'll just keep the game running all day. I have to run errands and come back to it later. The game cannot be finished in less than a few hours apparently!

adam
11-27-2012, 12:59 PM
There is a chess game for the Mega Drive? What's it called? I have Sega Chess for the Master System, but I didn't know there was one for the Mega Drive.

adam
11-27-2012, 01:03 PM
I've been enjoying Chess.com, for live chess and turn-based chess.

When I say that chess is my favorite game, it is, but I'm not awesome at it, or anything. lol I must be slowly getting better, especially with all these games online the last few months... I only have 2 friends in real life who play, so the website should help me polish my skills much more. lol

You're on chess.com? So am I (http://www.chess.com/members/view/adamplenty)! :)

goldenband
11-27-2012, 06:26 PM
GAMEPLAY QUESTION: Putting difficulty to max, makes each turn from the CPU take FOREVER. What's up with that!? How can the CPU need 4 or 5 min. for each turn? Was this normal for chess videogames at the time???

Absolutely, especially on higher difficulties. Heck, it's normal now! You should try the Atari 2600 or Intellivision chess games, which can take 10+ hours per move on the highest difficulties. OTOH I found that Star Wars Chess still moved quickly at higher difficulties, but it was far too easy to beat.

How do people play these older chess videogames, on higher difficulty or max? Like, what do u do when the CPU takes 5 min. each turn?

Emulation can be handy for this very reason. I turned the Atari 2600 and Intellivision chess games up to maximum framerate when I beat them earlier this year.

So was there REALLY a different S. Channel Chessmaster?

Well, guess what I found: it was mentioned in the 1994 hearings on violence in video games (http://www30.us.archive.org/stream/violenceinvideog00unit/violenceinvideog00unit_djvu.txt)! I actually found it on Google Books, which looks like it has a lot of good stuff for anyone researching the Sega Channel, but it's easier to link to the Archive.org capture.

Here's the money quote from Stanley Thomas, described in the report as the president of Sega Channel:

Well, certainly, Mr. Chairman, we at Sega Channel have felt that, given the fact that we are going to be a service that will provide games and entertainment and information across a full range of people, from older as a matter of fact, I have a card in my briefcase from one of our subscribers in Charleston who is a woman of 70 years old.

I also think, Mr. Chairman, if you could let Congressman Lantos know that we are going to have chess on Sega Channel, too. But because we are running a full panoply of games, we felt that there was some efficacy of establishing a process by which a parent could make a judgment. We felt strongly that we should be in a position where we can provide games that stretch from chess to Barney. And so, consequently, we made a decision.

While that's not quite a smoking gun on the same level as a screenshot, I think it's very strong evidence. Sega had every reason to include something like it, to help deflect the kind of accusations they were getting around this time.

If so, then is the Russian repro the same game, re-programmed???

The best way to find out is if someone could look at the ROM and see if the programming conforms to any techniques used by known Genesis developers (including SOA). I think Barone would be up to the task, if he's willing...?

goldenband
11-27-2012, 06:34 PM
I found another money quote, this time from Volume 19 (1994) of a periodical called Cable Vision. There's a feature on p. 28 with the headline "Sega looks to woo the entire family with interactive game playing/programming". It starts out:

Hey, young male demos, Mom might soon be able to beat your high score on Earth Worm Jim [sic], or Mortal Kombat. Well, maybe not, but she'll probably kick your butt in video chess and puzzle games, while dad clamors to play Joe Montana II Sports Talk Football and sis wants in with Barbie Super...

That's all I can see immediately, but the next columns both mention Sega Channel, so I assume it's an article that's partly or mostly about Sega Channel. Here's an image:

http://i50.tinypic.com/2mwazag.png

Ecco
11-27-2012, 10:03 PM
There is a chess game for the Mega Drive? What's it called? I have Sega Chess for the Master System, but I didn't know there was one for the Mega Drive.

^For Genesis it's called "Chess" and it's some unofficial Russian game. Earlier in the thread there's a video and more info!

^Those articles are cool but don't they only show that Sega was PLANNING to have chess on Sega Channel? So they MIGHT or might not have gotten around to it... right?

I guess I'm mostly skeptical bc the evidence still seems nonexistent... Not even a picture to be found, while the Russian game has widely-available videos, the ROM, & even repros to buy! I'm inclined to think it's a myth that there was some other chess game for the Genesis... I'd love to be proved wrong though. :D

adam
11-27-2012, 11:19 PM
Well, I can't find a game called "Chess" for the Mega Drive. All I could find was Star Wars Chess for the Mega CD. How rare is it? Is it as rare as Tetris?

vintagegamecrazy
11-28-2012, 01:02 AM
It's been sold before, a few Russian sites used to sell Chess but it's just not that well known and most of those sites won't ship outside of their country so no one knows what it is or has ever heard about it but it's out there. The Chessmaster Sega Channel game sounds interesting. Is there any way to play it anymore? I'd love to try it out and review it since I really enjoy Chess myself.

Ecco
11-28-2012, 08:21 AM
Well, I can't find a game called "Chess" for the Mega Drive. All I could find was Star Wars Chess for the Mega CD. How rare is it? Is it as rare as Tetris?

This info has mostly been said in this thread already but:

"Chess" was unlicensed & unreleased apparently, but made in Russian in '98. So I guess that makes it rare, but no idea how rare exactly, bc nobody seems to know anything about this game, or its history... :(

And how many copies did Tetris have, 3 or 4 or something?! lol Well Chess never had any official copies I guess, but I have no idea if it was ever available at all before the internet age of ROM's & repro's??? Did anyone get to play it / buy it before that??? Does anyone know? (I'm wondering if there were unofficial copies sold before that, or something?)

IF U WANT TO BUY A REPRO OF CHESS then here is the man right here: http://www.sega-16.com/forum/member.php?28381-dra600n

And here is a vid of "Chess" that's also in the first post of this thread:
QQG96nAOn2w

The Chessmaster Sega Channel game sounds interesting. Is there any way to play it anymore? I'd love to try it out and review it since I really enjoy Chess myself.

^I'm really personally convinced the S. Channel game doesn't exist. lol Does anyone remember even SEEING it on S. Channel BTW? That would be enough to make me believe it exists...

blackbirdru
11-28-2012, 09:00 AM
Well, i think, it's really unlicensed game.
Don't have a clue about it, til now.
But i always remember this game as Chessmaster.

Look at this cheat codes books.

I grew up with them. Also, check out developer/publisher - Mindscape.

And cart label also says it chessmaster (not mine).

Also, 3 bucks in local store.
http://telekit.ru/price/17777.htm
Living in russia have some benefits. :)

---

Evidence for chessmaster on Sega Channel
http://web.archive.org/web/19970327222019/http://www.sega.com/channel/now/2.html
official sega site

Ecco
11-28-2012, 09:51 AM

Evidence for chessmaster on Sega Channel
http://web.archive.org/web/19970327222019/http://www.sega.com/channel/now/2.html
official sega site

^Sega Channel archival website shows that Chessmaster really was there! Awesome! Now we know there existed 2 chess games for the Genesis!

HOWEVER ur link to the store clearly shows "CHESS" for sale, not Chessmaster!

Now I'm wondering why GEN Chessmaster has remained so mysterious??? The web is devoid of pics, vids, ROM's, anything!

Has anyone ever played Chessmaster? Anything special about it? "CHESS" is already a nice basic game, so I'm wondering if Chessmaster is also worth hunting down sometime...

blackbirdru
11-28-2012, 10:02 AM
HOWEVER ur link to the store clearly shows "CHESS" for sale, not Chessmaster!
They really are same game (http://www.newgame.ru/16bit/gamesrus/chessmaster.htm).
Dont pay much attention to chinese labels. They can write anything on them.
Just at some point, it was more profitable, to sell game at Chessmaster brand - dendy/nes game was popular, so, go figure.
Cheat codes books too, was not writed by people with reliable sources. This books features games such as Jungle Strike 2 and Jungle Book 2.

And about sega channel. Site only indicates game was at least planned to release. But no evidence of actually somebody playing it.

Ecco
11-28-2012, 11:10 AM
^Awesome. Mystery solved. GEN Chessmaster = Gen "CHESS." So there is only one chess game for Genesis, after all. :cool:

Are they exactly the same besides the difference in title? Any other small differences?

About the Sega Channel link, I thought it showed S. Channel offering Chessmaster as a current game? If not, then I guess I misunderstood what the link is showing.

goldenband
11-28-2012, 11:48 AM
About the Sega Channel link, I thought it showed S. Channel offering Chessmaster as a current game? If not, then I guess I misunderstood what the link is showing.

That's what it looked like to me too! Either way, this is great -- thanks, blackbirdru. :)

Ecco
04-24-2014, 03:47 AM
New questions: Can anyone please explain who exactly made this game ORIGINALLY, what kind of chess engine they used, and who did what changes after that? (Basically I'm just unclear of who 1st made it, and who did the later changes.)

QQG96nAOn2w#t=13

English version says BS Comp. Ltd. and Padis Ltd. 1998.

OK but 2 companies can't account for all versions of this game, over the years. And does anyone know who those teams were, and who did what? (For example, was one of them just the translator into English, of the Russian version? Also, based on the oddness of those names, I'm guessing they're both Russian companies?)

And so... Who made the Sega Channel game, i.e. who made the original version of Chess? It was called Chessmaster (on S. Channel) but it doesn't look at all like the SNES Chessmaster, so I'm guessing someone else developed it?

Also how does Mindscape fit into the equation?

And... Is there any ROM of the ORIGINAL version on Sega Channel? (Just curious. It would at least probably have a Chessmaster title screen, with the iconic old man playing chess.)

chessage
04-24-2014, 06:52 AM
English version says BS Comp. Ltd. and Padis Ltd. 1998.

'Chess' was developed/published in Russia. BS Comp is the developer and Padis is the publisher. Padis later changed their name to NewGame. Here is their web page for Chess (http://newgame.ru/16bit/gamesrus/chessmaster.htm).

Ecco
04-24-2014, 11:53 PM
'Chess' was developed/published in Russia. BS Comp is the developer and Padis is the publisher. Padis later changed their name to NewGame. Here is their web page for Chess (http://newgame.ru/16bit/gamesrus/chessmaster.htm).

Cool, thanks.

So when it FIRST came out on Sega Channel as "Chessmaster," who developed it originally? BS Comp or someone else?

chessage
04-25-2014, 06:11 AM
^'Chess' and 'Chessmaster' are two different games. Mindscape was the publisher for Chessmaster (I don't know who developed the Sega Channel version). Chess is sometimes referred to as Chessmaster (like in the link I've posted) to make the game seem more legitimate.

Ecco
04-25-2014, 02:46 PM
^'Chess' and 'Chessmaster' are two different games. Mindscape was the publisher for Chessmaster (I don't know who developed the Sega Channel version). Chess is sometimes referred to as Chessmaster (like in the link I've posted) to make the game seem more legitimate.

Wait, I thought Chess was the same exact game as it was on Sega Channel, when it was called "Chessmaster?"

I know there is a series of games called Chessmaster, which they used the title from apparently, but I don't think that SERIES really seemed involved in this game (besides the name being used).

Can you help me understand this any clearer?

chessage
04-26-2014, 08:43 AM
Wait, I thought Chess was the same exact game as it was on Sega Channel, when it was called "Chessmaster?"

Nope, from what I can tell, the Sega Channel version of Chessmaster hasn't been dumped.

Ecco
04-30-2014, 01:23 AM
Nope, from what I can tell, the Sega Channel version of Chessmaster hasn't been dumped.

OK, so that hasn't been dumped apparently.

But S. Channel "Chessmaster" = "Chess" from BS Comp. Right? I thought everyone already agreed that the two games are the same thing.

Are they the same game or not? Are people in this thread now really disagreeing about this???

:daze:

chessage
04-30-2014, 07:05 AM
^To quote myself:

'Chess' and 'Chessmaster' are two different games.

Ecco
05-03-2014, 01:17 AM
^chessage: Thanks, I understood that YOU said they were different games, lol. But I thought everyone else agreed before now, that they were the same game... in this thread. That's what is confusing lol.

Anyhow: New question:

A forum member is looking for a repro of Chess in England. Suggestions please, for a repro seller? You can PM me or post here. Thanks!

adam
05-04-2014, 07:39 AM

To confuse matters even more, The Brazilian version of The Chessmaster for the Game Gear (http://segaretro.org/The_Chessmaster) is called Sega Chess, but I don't think it's the same game as Sega Chess for the Master System (http://segaretro.org/Sega_Chess), which was also released in Brazil.