PDA

View Full Version : Sega CD makes loud scratching noise???

micjohvan
01-02-2007, 05:50 PM
Hi guys, nice place you have here. I wish my first post was under diffrent circumstances, but I wouldnt have run across this site if I wasent having this problem, so I guess it worked out.

Anyway yesterday I got lucky and found a Sega CD with a Genesis Model 1 at my thirt shop. It had 2 power supplys, 4 controllers, the extension plate and both metal plates for the unit so I was like cool, and bought it. (it also came with letal enforcers mint and boxed with gun)

I paid 25 for the whole thing and took it home. I collect video games so naturally it was to be a show piece with some other consoles of mine. I have always wanted to make a super genesis and this was the last piece I needed (I have a 32x and like 10 Genesis units) The first thing I did was tear apart the Sega CD to give it a good cleaning. I cleaned all the parts (not the mobo or laser, im not stupid) and put it back togather.

Well it wouldnt work and when it spun up a CD it makes a loud scratching noise and even scratched a music CD of mine. I took it apart and put it back togather again thinking that it was the plastic around the laser doing it. Well it didnt really help and now I cant tell if its the plastic rubbing the CD that makes the noise or the little spindle in the lid that creates the fricton on the disc.

I know the laser is good becase:

1) it moves on its track and up and down

2) it emits its red light (laser)

3) it will read music cds (even though its makeing this noise the whole time)

But I cant get it to read a Sega CD game. It checks the CD for about 6 seconds then says no disc.

How can I tell whats making the noise. The spindle isnt self locking and requires friction so I cant pull the top off the unit and just put a CD on there and see what happens??

Any help is greatly appricated. Thanks!

evildragon
01-02-2007, 09:48 PM
sounds like the hub on the spindle, is riding low.. i've seen this a couple times now.. you'll need to see if you can somehow only SLIGHTLY raise it.. not too much where the CD is out of focus though..

Blades
01-03-2007, 06:17 PM
I had this problem and I had a model 2 sega cd. I solved it by putting some washers on the support of the laser assembly.The sound you hear is of the cd hitting the edge of the cd plane. not the spindle's fault.

I GUESS the model 1 CD is the same but I'm not sure. Mine works fine now and had no problems since.

Good Luck!!
Blades

evildragon
01-03-2007, 06:33 PM
There should already be washers on the area where the rubber parts are on the laser assembly...

A model 1 is NOT the same.. That's a tray. When the disc is ejected, the assembly drops down.. When a disc is inserted, the laser assembly pops up into place.

Blades
01-03-2007, 07:51 PM
Really?? Mine had none at all:( Guess that's where the problem was.
lol My advice doesn't apply anyway cuz urs is a model 1.

Blades

evildragon
01-03-2007, 07:57 PM
actually, the OP didn't state which Sega CD he had.. he just said Genesis model 1..

Blades
01-03-2007, 08:49 PM
Ooh, that's true.
I'm guessing the model 1 cuz he got a genesis 1 along with it. But we'll have to wait for the OP to respond to know for sure.

Blades

evildragon
01-03-2007, 08:52 PM
yea, except i got a model 1 genny, with a model 2 CD ;)

yea, we do need more information..

micjohvan
01-05-2007, 09:50 AM
Hi guys. Sorry it took me so long to get back here. My password stopped working and I had to request a new one, which took days -_- to get stirght since it kept saying that I had requested it over 24 hours ago.

Anyway the Genesis was model 1 and the sega CD was model 2 (side load)

I have now fixed the problem. As some people said the spindle dropped slightly and the disc was hitting the metal plate the protects the eyes circitry. By removing the plate and leaving it out it works good as new. I cant beleive how great it works for its age. It reads instantly and will even boot my CD-R backups I tried in about 3 seconds. Its great.

Thanks guys for all the help! I recommend that anyone with funny noise comming from their unit try this first as its only 4 small screws and see if it helps.

Thanks again!

evildragon
01-05-2007, 10:07 AM
glad i was of help... i know officially can say the Sega CD model 2 has a spindle hub problem... :P