PDA

View Full Version : Does the Model 1 sound "better" than the Model 2?

Guntz
11-29-2012, 11:05 PM
I don't mean this question with any correlation to the Genesis (Model 1 Vs. Model 2). For a while I've used a Model 2 Genesis (VA3) and a Model 2 Sega CD with a 3 piece stereo connected to a TV. Simple but surprisingly effective. Just recently I replaced my Model 2 systems with Model 1s (making the dreaded tower of power :p). While the Model 2 setup sounded pretty fine, the Model 1 was noticeably (better). The audio sounded higher quality, the sound was a bit more bass-y... Am I being fooled, or does the Model 1 Sega CD sound better than the Model 2?

Solkia
11-30-2012, 12:42 AM
I don't know, but I love the 1.00 BIOS music.

Moirai
11-30-2012, 01:08 AM
Never used a model 2 Sega CD. I didnt realize that using the Sega CD could affect the sound quality.

TurboRotary
11-30-2012, 02:52 AM
I was curious about this as well. I'm in the market for a model 1 right now.

Drakon
11-30-2012, 09:19 AM
Oh man I really hope not considering how much of a nightmare the model 1 scd seems to be from what I've read. I did discover that the pc engine cd attachment sounds better than the pc engine duo, I hate when audio quality takes a downgrade with newer models.

Guntz
11-30-2012, 03:09 PM
So the general consensus is... Nobody knows. Maybe I will make a couple recordings and post a YouTube video, to see if a typical Model 1 sounds different or better than a typical Model 2.

Drakon, the Model 1 is only a nightmare because there's very, VERY little documentation on repairs. Nobody knows how to take pictures or videos, or describe things properly. If there was more well-written information about fixing the Model 1, it wouldn't be so bad.

Though, from what I've read, the Model 1's biggest point of failure is the belt. It can cause all sorts of odd issues with the tray and laser mechanisms. That should be replaced first, then go from there.

villahed94
11-30-2012, 03:21 PM
The model 1 SCD sounds better and it's slightly less filtered than the model 2 SCD.

Drakon
11-30-2012, 03:22 PM
Uhm, I hope the model 2 doesn't use a belt, I hate belts, viva gears! I also hate tray style cd drives I love flip tops.

evilevoix
11-30-2012, 03:23 PM
The gears fail too, they get stripped, I spent days trying to fix it.

Guntz
11-30-2012, 03:29 PM
Uhm, I hope the model 2 doesn't use a belt, I hate belts, viva gears! I also hate tray style cd drives I love flip tops.

Nope, no belt in sight. The Model 2 is extremely simplistic and thus less prone to failure compared to the Model 1's Dr. Seuss-inspired electromechanical design.

The gears fail too, they get stripped, I spent days trying to fix it.

Gears only strip if one gear can't move and the other continues to move anyways. Under normal operation, a gear should never strip, unless there's a severe design flaw in the system (like the TG16 CD).

Speaking of which, did you find a replacement Sega CD? Would you feel like parting with your broken Model 1?

Drakon
11-30-2012, 04:17 PM
God I really don't want to find out that the horribly designed model 1 is better sounding.

Solkia
11-30-2012, 04:19 PM
could you make some recordings or something?

Guntz
11-30-2012, 04:38 PM
Yeah, I'll make a couple recordings. I just need to find a good piece of music first. Should I use something PCM based or redbook? Or just pick both? I could record the battle theme from Pier Solar and maybe the main theme from Secret of Monkey Island.

evilevoix
11-30-2012, 04:52 PM
The gears that strip are the ones that lift the very heavy cd unit into place after the tray closes. After twenty plus years they strip from lifting that weight.

Guntz
11-30-2012, 05:06 PM
It could be that the belt wore down too much, putting more stress on the gears.

A gear is a gear though, you should be able to find replacements.

Joe Redifer
11-30-2012, 05:40 PM
The model 1 is supposed to have some pretty high quality DACs. Sega really went on about this before it was released. I imagine for the model 2 they used cheaper (but still fine) DACs. These DACs only affect redbook audio.

Guntz
11-30-2012, 06:19 PM
I'm not even gonna bother making videos or anything about this. I recorded a track from Pier Solar and Monkey Island, I cannot find any discernible difference between the Model 1 and 2. They sound exactly the same. What a waste of a good hour...

Drakon
11-30-2012, 07:30 PM
How come your first post says the model 1 is noticably better?

I'm not even gonna bother making videos or anything about this. I recorded a track from Pier Solar and Monkey Island, I cannot find any discernible difference between the Model 1 and 2. They sound exactly the same. What a waste of a good hour...

evilevoix
11-30-2012, 08:38 PM
Any body looking to sell a model 1 sega cd?

Moirai
11-30-2012, 09:20 PM
The model 1 is supposed to have some pretty high quality DACs. Sega really went on about this before it was released. I imagine for the model 2 they used cheaper (but still fine) DACs. These DACs only affect redbook audio.

That must be part of the reason why it was so friggin expensive.

Guntz
11-30-2012, 10:49 PM
How come your first post says the model 1 is noticably better?

It was probably just my mind playing tricks on me.

Villahed keeps telling me the Monkey Island track I used isn't high enough quality to show the difference between the Model 1 and 2, but as far as I'm concerned, the difference is going to be either insignificant or undetectable.

That must be part of the reason why it was so friggin expensive.

Maybe back in the day, but not right now.

Joe Redifer
11-30-2012, 11:27 PM
Pier Solar does not use redbook audio (and also, the audio on the disc is very, very flawed). This only counts for redbook audio. Pier Solar will sound the same on both systems.

Guntz
11-30-2012, 11:30 PM
And... You didn't notice I tried Monkey Island as well? I'm pretty sure that game has redbook audio.

Theretrogamer12345
11-30-2012, 11:54 PM
God I really don't want to find out that the horribly designed model 1 is better sounding.

I don't believe it is so horribly designed because as far as appearance goes, it looks way better than the cheap looking model 2 IMO. Plus when I bought my model 1 it was previously broken, and repaired prior to me buying it. The guy I bought it from fixed it by giving it a new belt before selling it to me and so far I have had no problems AT ALL with the Sega CD Model 1! It only cost me $25 (I got lucky) and I got one amazing console. I know it seems like Model 2 is the way to go, but throughout my experience with the Model 1, I recommend buying a Model 1 or at least considering it.

Joe Redifer
12-01-2012, 06:04 AM
And... You didn't notice I tried Monkey Island as well? I'm pretty sure that game has redbook audio.

I don't have any idea about Monkey Island. I don't think I ever bothered with it. Just put in an audio CD and listen to it.

Drakon
12-01-2012, 11:21 AM
I think the model 2 scd looks sleeker, and less bulky. Plus tray style cd loading is easy to break and have fail on you. Also opening up a model 2 and doing work on it should be way easier.

TmEE
12-01-2012, 12:41 PM
Bath machines use same kind of lovely Sanyo DACs and the analog side is pretty straightforward. I cannot imagine there being any noticable difference on sound quality between the 2.

Theretrogamer12345
12-01-2012, 01:20 PM
I think the model 2 scd looks sleeker, and less bulky. Plus tray style cd loading is easy to break and have fail on you. Also opening up a model 2 and doing work on it should be way easier.

To me, it really matters on what Model Genesis you will be plugging in to the Sega CD. I have a Model 1, so I believe it looks better attached to a Model 1 SCD. However I like the look of a Model 2 Genesis attached to a Model 2 SCD. If you can find a Model 1 that has ALREADY had a belt replacement for the CD tray then you should have little to no problems. And just as a side note when you say "Bulky" I would replace that word with "Powerhouse":

Plus, I love the lights in the Model 1!

Oh and back to the original question I recorded Stage 1 of Android Assault music from a Sega CD Model 1 with my iPad so it's not the best quality, but I really think it sounds awesome!!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wDANUDxOcSI

Drakon
12-01-2012, 01:41 PM
I'm using a model 1 as well as I think the scd 2 looks better on the model 1.

Theretrogamer12345
12-01-2012, 02:17 PM
I'm using a model 1 as well as I think the scd 2 looks better on the model 1.

Well, I guess we're all entitled to our own opinions.

Guntz
12-01-2012, 05:47 PM
The Sega CD 2 fits well with both the Model 1 and 2 Geneses. Sega purposely designed both consoles to work with it, the common SCD2 box says "works with any Genesis".

Like what Drakon was saying, my biggest problem with the Model 1 SCD is the tray. I can't remove the CD if the unit isn't turned on. That is a pain in the ass. Why? Well, let's say I want to play Pier Solar. To play the game with the PCM CD, I'd have to turn on the Sega CD, reset the Genesis, stick the CD in the tray, press start on the controller, turn off the Sega CD, insert the Pier Solar cart, then turn the Genesis on. On the Model 2 Sega CD, all you have to do is insert the CD into the flip top drive, insert the Pier Solar cart and play.

Also, my particular Model 1 SCD won't turn off when the Genesis does. It will only turn off if I plug in a typical cartridge game (Pier Solar will turn the SCD back on).

Zebbe
12-01-2012, 05:56 PM
Well, let's say I want to play Pier Solar. To play the game with the PCM CD, I'd have to turn on the Sega CD, reset the Genesis, stick the CD in the tray, press start on the controller, turn off the Sega CD, insert the Pier Solar cart, then turn the Genesis on.

No. You can have the game open the tray for you from the options menue.

Joe Redifer
12-01-2012, 07:43 PM

I guess it's all a matter of opinion, but the model 1 definitely has a smaller footprint and I really appreciate that. I don't think I have enough surface area available anywhere for a model 1 Genesis + model 2 Sega CD. I've had my tray break twice and it was easy to fix. It wouldn't be easy for everyone, mind you, but I figured it out. It's not like the motor dies or anything, it's just that the gears slip to the wrong position.

Bath machines use same kind of lovely Sanyo DACs and the analog side is pretty straightforward. I cannot imagine there being any noticable difference on sound quality between the 2.

Thank you. If that's the case, then I agree they probably would sound exactly the same.

Saturn Fan
12-01-2012, 07:59 PM

Over the years i preferred the model 2 but am slowly changing my mind. I like the "retro" look of the model 1 which matches up a lot better with the model 1 Genesis, and looks more like a high-end piece of 80's stereo equipment than a game system add-on.

The look of the CD door with the large LED lights is neat too, and also not taking up as much space. Its the most compact set-up, only adding height to the Genesis.

Plus with the event of the Everdrive, different bios can be easily loaded onto it. So one can enjoy the glorious V.2.00 Bios on the model 1! Yay!

Guntz
12-01-2012, 08:14 PM
No. You can have the game open the tray for you from the options menue.

Really? I did not know that, thanks!

... But what if I want to hear the title screen music via the PCM CD? :p

Joe Redifer
12-01-2012, 08:54 PM
I'm pissed that they gave us less blinking lights on the model 1 Sega CD than the model 1 Mega CD. I don't even know what those lights were for but I wanted them.

Drakon
12-01-2012, 08:56 PM
I made enough surface area for a pc engine with briefcase cd unit, I think I can manage a model 2 sega cd haha.

I guess it's all a matter of opinion, but the model 1 definitely has a smaller footprint and I really appreciate that. I don't think I have enough surface area available anywhere for a model 1 Genesis + model 2 Sega CD. I've had my tray break twice and it was easy to fix. It wouldn't be easy for everyone, mind you, but I figured it out. It's not like the motor dies or anything, it's just that the gears slip to the wrong position.

I want my addon to look like an addon. To me the pc engine cd unit looks "retro" but in an console upgrade type of way, not like a "high end piece of 80s stereo equipment".

Over the years i preferred the model 2 but am slowly changing my mind. I like the "retro" look of the model 1 which matches up a lot better with the model 1 Genesis, and looks more like a high-end piece of 80's stereo equipment than a game system add-on.

The look of the CD door with the large LED lights is neat too, and also not taking up as much space. Its the most compact set-up, only adding height to the Genesis.

Plus with the event of the Everdrive, different bios can be easily loaded onto it. So one can enjoy the glorious V.2.00 Bios on the model 1! Yay!

As for blinking lights I prefer the pc engine LED display. It jusy says "pc" haha.

Guntz
12-01-2012, 09:05 PM

Shhhhh!!~ Don't let villahed hear you, or he'll murder another NES!

I'm pissed that they gave us less blinking lights on the model 1 Sega CD than the model 1 Mega CD. I don't even know what those lights were for but I wanted them.

http://i49.tinypic.com/amy0eq.jpg

They look pretty self explanatory to me. Although, it's very easy to see why the four bottom LEDs were removed.

1) There's already a big "ACCESS" LED, no need for the little one.
2) It doesn't take a rocket scientist to know when the CD tray is opened or closed.
3) "Stand by Mode" probably means the Sega CD doesn't have a CD in the tray. That can be reduced by just knowing the "ready" LED is turned on... Or off, depending on what that LED does.

Joe Redifer
12-02-2012, 12:13 AM
But why does it have THREE CD access lights? A big red one, a little green one and a little red one? Why is there a green light for CD IN but a green and red light for CD OUT? These are NOT self explanatory. Instead of us guessing, can someone with a real model 1 Mega CD perhaps provide some insight?

I'll take the model 1 BIOS over the model 2 BIOS any day. I'll take the JP Mega CD model 1 BIOS over both of those. Granted, with that one I can't press RESET to open the tray, I have to do it from the menu. What's funny is that the model 2 BIOS will open the tray, but won't close it.

Moirai
12-02-2012, 12:50 AM
Those aren't LEDs, those are just diagrams to show what the large LEDs mean.

Zebbe
12-02-2012, 03:34 PM
Really? I did not know that, thanks!

... But what if I want to hear the title screen music via the PCM CD? :p

Then you can do that from the goodies menue as well :).

Theretrogamer12345
12-02-2012, 03:49 PM

I completely agree. This is why I love the Model 1

sheath
12-02-2012, 05:21 PM

Sonofa! They had me fooled too! Somebody with access to high quality vinyl stickers needs to make repros now!

Joe Redifer
12-02-2012, 07:49 PM

Awesome! Finally the mystery is solved. I can see why they were removed. That's something that's more at home in the manual.

grimm
01-10-2013, 10:13 PM
Gears only strip if one gear can't move and the other continues to move anyways. Under normal operation, a gear should never strip, unless there's a severe design flaw in the system (like the TG16 CD).

Im a little late to the party, but no thats not true. Gears will wear down just like any other mechanical component, they will wear down or strip from simple use. What you describe is a so called catastrophical failure, when gears cant interact and thus strip, breaking components. How quickly or how relevant actual wear is in the Sega CD 2's gears is though, i have no idea of. So you might be correct if you mean it wears so little its not gonna affect the system in a foreseeable future. But all mechanical components such as gears wear down over time of use. A gear will eventually either strip or be rounded down to where it engages improperly if not replaced. They are however more reliable over time than a belt operated system yes.

Drakon
01-10-2013, 11:28 PM
Im a little late to the party, but no thats not true. Gears will wear down just like any other mechanical component, they will wear down or strip from simple use. What you describe is a so called catastrophical failure, when gears cant interact and thus strip, breaking components. How quickly or how relevant actual wear is in the Sega CD 2's gears is though, i have no idea of. So you might be correct if you mean it wears so little its not gonna affect the system in a foreseeable future. But all mechanical components such as gears wear down over time of use. A gear will eventually either strip or be rounded down to where it engages improperly if not replaced. They are however more reliable over time than a belt operated system yes.

Uhm....yeah....it's like cd games vs rom based.

evilevoix
01-11-2013, 01:13 AM
I am still looking for a model 1 sega cd please.

grimm
01-11-2013, 10:21 AM
Uhm....yeah....it's like cd games vs rom based.

What?

Drakon
01-11-2013, 12:59 PM
What?

In terms of reliability and lasting longer without breaking.

grimm
01-11-2013, 01:07 PM
In terms of reliability and lasting longer without breaking.

Ah ok, i understand now.

Guntz
01-11-2013, 01:11 PM

In that case, we're all doomed. All CD based systems will break down, well before the electrical components finally die.

grimm
01-11-2013, 01:43 PM
In that case, we're all doomed. All CD based systems will break down, well before the electrical components finally die.

Actually they will. Everything breaks down in time with use. Its the nature of mechanical movement.

Drakon
01-12-2013, 09:40 AM

This's why I plan on harassing all the fpga wizards out there to make something that lets you run the iso from a sd card on a modded cd based machine.

grimm
01-12-2013, 11:15 AM
Not a bad idea to preserve your cd systems.

Drakon
01-13-2013, 10:54 AM
Not a bad idea to preserve your cd systems.

Well removing the optical reader and replacing it with something that directly streams the information into the hardware basically makes it so you'll never need to fix / adjust your hardware ever again.

grimm
01-13-2013, 07:20 PM
Ah, i thought you ment running cd-game from flash carts.

TrekkiesUnite118
01-15-2013, 10:59 AM

Well, you could replace all the plastic gears with metal ones and that would probably extend the lifetime of the system significantly.

4Runner
10-23-2013, 01:01 AM
Not only does the SCD Model 1 sound better than the Model 2.....it looks better, tastes better, smells better and runs faster! A Model 1 Genesis has Blast Processing capabilities, but attach it to a SCD Model 1 and those capabilities turn into Dynamic Processing! My SCD Model 1 evens serves as an answering machine for my landline telephone. Man, what a great piece of machinery!!!

alexkidd401
10-31-2013, 08:36 PM
I believe you guys that it might sound better. The only thing is the Model 1's are so hard to find and they break so easy. A pretty big investment for a minor step up.

4Runner
11-13-2013, 06:42 AM
I believe you guys that it might sound better. The only thing is the Model 1's are so hard to find and they break so easy. A pretty big investment for a minor step up.

This statement is not accurate. Model 1's can be found all over feebay if you look long enough. I would say they only break easily if you treat them like garbage (same with anything). They may be more finicky, but I've purchased two in the past year and they both work and have continued to work without any problems. It's a personal choice though....

Barone
11-15-2013, 01:23 PM
This is all bullshit. I've never ever listened to a recording proving any of the "superiority" claims. And I still give some credit to this "idiot" right here:

Both machines use same kind of lovely Sanyo DACs and the analog side is pretty straightforward. I cannot imagine there being any noticable difference on sound quality between the 2.

However, I'm getting used to the idea that a lot of people prefer the most fail-prone devices.

TmEE
11-15-2013, 01:30 PM
I now have a MCD1 and I can say it is inferior to MCD2 sound wise, at least the models I got. The MCD1 has agressive bandpass filtering done on its output, limiting bass and highs response, especially bass which is lot weaker than the MCD2 and all other devices I got that play CDs.

Barone
11-15-2013, 01:35 PM
Sweeeet...
http://s3-ec.buzzfed.com/static/enhanced/webdr03/2012/11/30/12/anigif_enhanced-buzz-28926-1354297872-1.gif

evildragon
11-15-2013, 03:50 PM
This's why I plan on harassing all the fpga wizards out there to make something that lets you run the iso from a sd card on a modded cd based machine.

This older post just made me fall on the floor laughing.

Drakon, you are the one who always tells people to learn the shit themselves, after sometimes refusing to do something for them.

Well, allow me. Learn FPGA yourself dude.

FuturePrimitive
11-15-2013, 05:33 PM
Well, you could replace all the plastic gears with metal ones and that would probably extend the lifetime of the system significantly.

Sorry to quote an old post, but I like the sound of this idea! My gears are still a little grindy even after white lithium grease. Has anyone attempted making replicas of the plastic gears out of metal? Are there any downsides to using metal gears in a CD system?

I now have a MCD1 and I can say it is inferior to MCD2 sound wise, at least the models I got. The MCD1 has agressive bandpass filtering done on its output, limiting bass and highs response, especially bass which is lot weaker than the MCD2 and all other devices I got that play CDs.

I don't have a Model 1 CD to compare with my Model 2, but I hope this is true about the Model 2 CD's sound. I certainly don't have any complaints about my CD's sound using the mixing cable and RCA audio out with Genesis volume on 10.

How does the Model 2 CD sound compared to the JVC X'Eye/WonderMega? Or, is that a whole new thread?

sheath
11-15-2013, 05:55 PM
The X'Eye supposedly has a different mixing circuit and sounds, eh, different and I guess a little clearer than the Sega CDs. Also, I prefer to keep my Sega CD 1 hooked up because it has better bass, not sure about highs though, than my HDG headphone jacks alone.

Barone
11-15-2013, 08:26 PM
JVC X'Eye/WonderMega
JVC X'Eye, WonderMega RG-M2 and WonderMega RG-M1 aren't the same thing.
JVC X'Eye is a budget version of WonderMega RG-M2 which was already a simplified console compared to the awesome RG-M1 (but with the addition of an infrared receiver).
IDK if the JVC X'Eye and WonderMega RG-M2 share the same components but I think they might differ a bit since the X'Eye lacks some features (it does have the 9-pin mini DIN the WonderMega lacks, which is good for SCART or Component output and 32X compatibility but with the 32X plugged you'll not be able to access the CD drive).

4Runner
11-16-2013, 01:59 AM
This debate could go on forever. None of what's said here is true and at the same time, it's all true. It really all comes down to what YOU personally prefer. It is interesting to see what other people think and to understand why they choose one over the other.

Thierry Henry
11-16-2013, 02:23 AM
JVC X'Eye, WonderMega RG-M2 and WonderMega RG-M1 aren't the same thing.

Speaking of the RG-M1,
Just out of curiosity,
same exact specs just different branding/color scheme/etc on those units, right?

http://i39.tinypic.com/2l8akiv.jpg

FuturePrimitive
11-16-2013, 02:45 AM
Speaking of the RG-M1,
Just out of curiosity,
same exact specs just different branding/color scheme/etc on those units, right?

http://i39.tinypic.com/2l8akiv.jpg

Thierry posting eye candy... You tease! The things I would do with a WonderMega if I could take one home.

Chibisteven
11-16-2013, 03:39 AM

Where is the bandpass is it in the range of human hearing 20 Hz to 20 KHz or outside of it? If the highpass is usually above 1 or 2 hertz it removes the DC offset (though it affects tilt but may fix a recording from an unknown source that messed something up). Lowpass above 20 KHz is generally consider safe.

Barone
11-16-2013, 09:18 AM
This debate could go on forever. None of what's said here is true and at the same time, it's all true. It really all comes down to what YOU personally prefer. It is interesting to see what other people think and to understand why they choose one over the other.
Stuff like what TmEE is far from being just a personal preference expression, the same for the reliability of the second model when compared to the first one. The thing is that a lot of people put the aesthetic aspect in the first place and they prefer the design of the first model. I prefer the design of the second model though...

Speaking of the RG-M1,
Just out of curiosity,
Yep. Sega branded one is even rarer though.
TA Church worships to it every day.

4Runner
11-16-2013, 09:47 PM
Stuff like what TmEE is far from being just a personal preference expression, the same for the reliability of the second model when compared to the first one. The thing is that a lot of people put the aesthetic aspect in the first place and they prefer the design of the first model. I prefer the design of the second model though...

Yep. Sega branded one is even rarer though.
TA Church worships to it every day.

Everything is personal preference dude. Just because I think something sounds better or looks cooler doesn't mean the next person will (even with technical data).

Chibisteven
11-16-2013, 10:01 PM
Everything is personal preference dude. Just because I think something sounds better or looks cooler doesn't mean the next person will (even with technical data).

Of course one would have to ask themselves would a 11,025 Hz 4-bit mono recording of musical performace sound better than a 44,100 Hz, 16-bit Stereo recording of the same orchestra.

The point is most of this stuff barely noticable unless it's more extreme differences.

The model 1 Genesis used a YM2612 with 8-bit out and the model 2 used a varient of it with 9-bit out. Techinically the later would sound better. Some games took advantage of the former's defects, others did not. It boils down to what is being produce with it and ultimately the user's preferences. The differences are more noticable here because the output depth is lower than what it considered ideal.

Tiido explained the bandpass on model 1 Sega CD outputs is more aggressive than the model 2, ultimately most people can't even tell the difference here, so it must be more outside the range of human hearing for the most part or just barely noticable difference that only a train ear would hear subtley under ideal conditions. This is more of personal taste as the difference is barely noticable to anyone other than a trained ear or with the tools to measure this.

sheath
11-16-2013, 11:12 PM
On the topic of Aesthetics I have really simple criteria. For audio, I don't want to hear pops, hissing, humming or whine unless it is intentional. I also do not want to hear muffled audio to the point that I cannot hear instruments, and I do not want to hear highs that are ear-splitting sharp. Those criteria are subjective, the audibility of distortion effects is objective.

Similarly, it is absolutely objectively true that a front loading game console, regardless of reliability, is superior to a top loader with a manual spring button. :haha:

FuturePrimitive
11-16-2013, 11:27 PM
Similarly, it is absolutely objectively true that a front loading game console, regardless of reliability, is superior to a top loader with a manual spring button. :haha:

http://img-f.pinside.com/201305/846943/96752.jpg

Barone
11-16-2013, 11:31 PM
Everything is personal preference dude.
Hummm...

http://jason.bryer.org/images/FiftyShadesOfGrey.png

sheath
11-16-2013, 11:35 PM
^ Is that a proper 9-bit palette? If not it is illegal.

Also, a top loading front loader, Future Primitive are you on drugs? Nothing has or will ever exist on the face of the Earth. It is clearly written in journalistic game history that if you want a front loader you make it first, to break. Then you release a top loader that looks and feels cheap for great profit!

FuturePrimitive
11-16-2013, 11:56 PM
Also, a top loading front loader, Future Primitive are you on drugs? Nothing has or will ever exist on the face of the Earth. It is clearly written in journalistic game history that if you want a front loader you make it first, to break. Then you release a top loader that looks and feels cheap for great profit!

Ha, I see what you did there!

Why not have both SEGA CD models?

Thierry Henry
11-17-2013, 12:17 AM
https://encrypted-tbn1.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSMwyJbiPYDID708S47w5jXQmem0MkaD hFiD1HggExK1VehYZLczg

http://i.imgur.com/3LxWu.jpg

:p

sheath
11-17-2013, 09:51 AM
http://s2.quickmeme.com/img/c1/c1f05243e3f1653bea4ca445f8995ff213b6d3eaa6cca09ff8 1a7cc53827ac83.jpg

Thierry Henry
11-17-2013, 09:58 AM
^^
yeah having read my post again, it doesn't have anything to do with the Model 1/Model 2 Sega CD discussion. :lol:

note to self,

http://i42.tinypic.com/2qxnx46.jpg

sheath
11-17-2013, 10:48 AM
I thought it was the pop open Cassette lid and what looked like a front loading CD-ROM door. It negated my claim of such a thing being impossible, from a certain point of view.

xelement5x
11-18-2013, 03:16 PM
I don't know where this thread is going at all anymore. But I'm glad it's not all just mindless M1 Sega CD sounds better than M2. I know the LaserActive has optical out, but I've got nothing that take optical so who knows what that means.

4Runner
11-23-2013, 12:10 AM
http://i.imgur.com/3LxWu.jpg
:p

Seriously, what is that? Do you own that?

Thierry Henry
11-23-2013, 12:59 AM
^^
http://segaretro.org/Aiwa_Mega_CD

No, I don't have one of those. I don't particularly want to burn that type of hole in my pocket. :p

4Runner
11-23-2013, 04:06 AM
Dang, is there ANYTHING that Sega didn't put their hardware into? Next thing I'm goona see is a microwave with a Genesis cartridge slot on it.

Thierry Henry
11-23-2013, 04:29 AM
Dang, is there ANYTHING that Sega didn't put their hardware into?

Well there's also this,

http://www.gamesniped.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/09/Sega-Teradrive.jpg

and this,

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-DISgfQ06tJ0/UYffY-qlBsI/AAAAAAAALbk/OWm5MDxlAgc/s1600/Amstrad+MegaPC.jpg
https://encrypted-tbn3.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRiXldq4GUoXawrd5zUB7wzRO-3NvYLYzAZ5ooSDko0y8U0HpBY_g

Vector2013
11-23-2013, 05:25 AM
That controller.

http://segaretro.org/images/thumb/6/67/Aiwamcd6.jpg/608px-Aiwamcd6.jpg

Vector2013
11-23-2013, 05:33 AM
Sega varients had to outsell SNES. They just had to.

One more thing, people need to stop with this sega cd model 1 breaks all the time shit, if you have any common sense it's easy as hell to fix the tray mechanism (yes it could be 1 of 20 problems but learn them) or fix fuse and other problems. Want to know why they break most of time ? People don't have the common sense to hit the b button once sega cd press start screen comes up to show eject button you can click to auto open and close cd tray OR just hit reset button on md to open tray.

They pry open the tray and polar bear it shut. I think there are 2 different tray underboards, 1 has 2 sub boards on underneath of tray device that need be aligned. I fixed 59 sega cd model 1's. Only 1 time, with Polygon member here, wait here is video proving I fixed it in just 2 days http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZBzYp4823JA did I have a shipping issue thanks to Polygon and EvilDragon (I was banned at time here, for...me and Joe not even meanly airing each other out) letting me know (guess he has asshole shipping handlers with other things like fed ex throwing tvs over fence) but he sent it back to me, I paid him for whole unit (to but new one, why go through the same thing twice) and I now use his sega cd (which I fixed for him at first - see video, then I had to fix again so it worked for me) as you can see it works flawlessly again in my avatar. The cd tray was more fucked when he sent it back than it was first time. They tray was pushed so hard in, it was bent.

xelement5x
11-25-2013, 12:13 PM
One more thing, people need to stop with this sega cd model 1 breaks all the time shit...

Once fixed properly a model 1 is pretty reliable, but compared to a model 2 Sega CD it is still much more prone to errors over the long run because of the mechanics of it. That is pretty much irrefutable.

If you add in the fact that a lot of Model 1s which are sold now are just old units people have had sitting around in a closet unused for the last 10+ years then there are plenty of conditions to get a lot of broken units. Not to mention, these were part of a game system targeted towards kids, so most were probably not cared for that well. If you are 10 years old and get the same action from smacking the ejected tray as by tapping the reset button either one is likely to occur. Everyone knows shit happens sometimes, it just seems to happen more frequently on the Model 1.

4Runner
11-25-2013, 08:22 PM
That controller.

http://segaretro.org/images/thumb/6/67/Aiwamcd6.jpg/608px-Aiwamcd6.jpg

My thoughts exactly. Sega never looked good in white. I didn't even like it on the Dreamcast.

douglie007
01-20-2014, 08:12 PM
Ok I want to record the music from each system. what game should I use?

sheath
01-20-2014, 09:02 PM
Pretty much any games on the Soundchip tribute thread (http://www.sega-16.com/forum/showthread.php?16148-Soundchip-Tribute&highlight=Soundchip+Tribute) ought to do it.

douglie007
01-20-2014, 09:38 PM
ill do the sound test with Sonic CD its the only one on under Sega CD :)

douglie007
01-21-2014, 07:02 PM
Ok I have got the Sega systems recorded for the sound test on the 4 different CD systems I have.
Model 1

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7-2yxMSk3bs
Model 2

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RRnbJdWs9q8
CDX

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TBsVJtqGauw
X'Eye

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EaV5yutmIBI

I also on each on used the Stereo out, the Sega CD 1 was had a VA3 Gen with 32X and Sega CD 2 had the gen 2 va3 with 32x

for the CDx I used the headphone port not the line out.

Chibisteven
01-21-2014, 10:23 PM
Ok I have got the Sega systems recorded for the sound test on the 4 different CD systems I have.
Model 1
Don't know about sound 1
Model 2
Don't know about sound 2
CDX
Don't know about sound 3
X'Eye
Don't know about sound 4

I also on each on used the Stereo out, the Sega CD 1 was had a VA3 Gen with 32X and Sega CD 2 had the gen 2 va3 with 32x

for the CDx I used the headphone port not the line out.

Those recordings are terrible. Ground loop or mains hum (try an issulater), SNR is very poor because of that hum. Plus perceptual coding used in the audio of youtube video makes it's difficult to measure extremes correctly (anything above 15 Khz typically and seperation issues are effectively masked by being garbled). Extremes were being talked about with the Sega CD model 1 vs model 2, not the matter of it being in your face obivous.

Test tones are more useful than music is in CD-based systems.

douglie007
01-22-2014, 01:42 PM
I just got the pvr so I could run the sound directly into the computers line in and see if I can get a better sound. I just started trying this stuff and the hum I think was from it going through my receiver the model 1 was not through the receiver.