PDA

View Full Version : Dungeon Explorer

Wampaa
08-16-2005, 11:01 AM
Dungeon Explorer on turbo is one of my favorite games ever. So I finally decided to buy the Sega CD version off e-bay and give it a whirl. Man, I can't get passed the first room haha Is the whole game this hard or am I just missing something?

Melf
08-18-2005, 11:12 AM
You'll need to spend some time leveling up. Also, try the money trick! Just load your game and head south to the field with the four free piles of treasure. Save your game, load it up again, and head out once more. The treasure respawns every time you load the game!

Wampaa
09-09-2005, 02:38 PM
Thanks for the tips! Man, I love this game! I never thought it would be as good as the turbo version as the turbo version is so perfect. It is definately its own game. What is your favorite character to use?

chameleon
02-09-2017, 05:29 AM
(sorry for revive this old thread)

I am currently playing DE for Sega CD. The economy system is in fact broken. within the Dungeons you can only get treasures with barely 5$ to 20$. when you complete the Dungeon you will get about 300$ in treasures plus 1500$ for defeating the boss and get the gem.

You can improve your AT/DF buying items, but they get expensive quikly. The ones worthy are the expensive (+3000$). So it is quite difficult to get money to buy proper items.

When you start the first dungeon (bottom left) with stock weapon you can kill the first dungeon enemies with 2/3 hits, enough to maintain them apart from you. But it will take a lot of time to complete each level cause you spend lot of time just waiting to kill enemies. It takes so much time that quite often your food counter will reach 0. Fortunately you can find the feather item that trasports you outside the dungeon, but overall this makes the game boring and slow paced.

In my opinion the gathering curve / skills should make possible to complete the first dungeon with the stock weapon. however the Attack/Defence is too low from the begining and you get so low gold that it is impossible to buy decent equipment.

Unfortunatelly if you just gather gold from the dungeon you will get barely few hundreds $.

So to overcome this you should do the gold trick (save, exit, gather). It is fun to see the gold trick in the game manual, it is evident the publishers knew about the game broken economy. My recomendation is to buy items and get at least +9AT, +3DF. Then start the first dungeon (bottom-left), then second (Upper-Right). Dont know the right order for the rest.

This way the game becomes fun to play and challenging as well.

In my opinion just with few changes in the amount of gold per chest, the game could become awesome, and get rid of the gold trick.

Also the graphics are quite decent and the music is superb, so dont let the unbalanced gold thing ruin the game, it is definetly worth playing.

cabear
02-23-2017, 11:07 PM
i too tried playing through this game and it is just an absolute chore. your analysis of the economy is spot on which made upgrading anything just tedious and boring. you can only do that trick so much before you decide to play something else. i wish the characters showed upgraded armor, as ii stands they're very plain. also, the game gives you exactly no idea of what to do or where to go, so it's basically trial and error until you find the path where you don't get your ass kicked "as much". i really wanted to love this game but sadly i couldn't.

Kamahl
02-24-2017, 10:41 AM
Game would become great with some tweaks to the base damage and gold drops. You have to wonder why the original devs didnt... Is this an Exile 2 style situation where values were tweaked without testing right before sending a game to production?

Ecco
03-06-2017, 06:23 PM
I tried this game a few times and absolutely did not understand what to do. Everywhere I went, the guy got killed with the first enemies he ran into.

Someday I'll try again with a walkthrough or whatever but it certainly seems broken at first. It's a shame because the artwork is cool.

bultje112
03-07-2017, 01:56 AM
if you like these kind of games it's worth checking out dungeons & dragons slayer on 3do. one of the best games in this genre imo

Zebbe
03-08-2017, 11:43 AM
I tried this game a few times and absolutely did not understand what to do. Everywhere I went, the guy got killed with the first enemies he ran into.

Someday I'll try again with a walkthrough or whatever but it certainly seems broken at first. It's a shame because the artwork is cool.

No need. The dungeons are to be tackled in a specific order, though you are free to try out any of them any time. Just try all dungeons, one of them will be easier than the others and you'll hopefully be able to get a bit into it before heading back. Grinding will be necessary a lot though. Head back if you feel like you cannot make it, because you lose all that you've gained in the dungeon if you die.