PDA

View Full Version : Resident Evil 2 Dreamcast Version Vs. N64/GC Version

Creek Indian
11-02-2013, 09:15 PM
Resident Evil 2

Resident Evil 1-3 are some of my all time favorite games. And a Dreamcast picked up at a garage sale several years ago started my study into the mysterious Sega systems that alluded me during my childhood.
I'm definitely in the market for Resident Evil 2 for the Dreamcast.

I first played RE1-3 on my PS1. Later down the road I purchased RE0-3 all on the GameCube. I only played the original remake and later sold 2-3. I want to compare the different version w/ an empathies on the Dreamcast and N64.

Focusing on Resident Evil 2.

-Dreamcast version
1.) Incorporates real-time display of the character's condition on the Visual Memory Unit peripheral. Badass probably one of the best VMU display uses.
2.) A "Data Gallery" was added to the main menu, allowing the player to view movies, rough sketches, illustrations and 3D models. Very nice! Is that included on the N64 or GameCube versions?
3.) Runs at 60 frames per second during gameplay. Whoa! What does that mean? How does that compare to the PS1, GameCube, & N64 version?
4.) Extreme Battle Mini Game?
5.) Alternate Costumes?
6.) Characters look sharper but lower resolution backgrounds? When compared to N64, GameCube, or PS1?[/COLOR]?
Say it aint true I love the backgrounds.

-GameCube Version
1.) Basically the same thing as the duel shock version for PlayStation.
2.) No extras added to this one just a bit of good vibrations. (to my knowledge)
3.) Enhanced graphics characters and backgrounds?

-N64 version
1.) Its a cartridge. That's pretty sweet.
2.) Highest quality music of all versions? Not sure.
3.) Supports the console's Expansion Pak accessory for a maximum resolution of 640480 during gameplay & adjusts its display resolution depending on the number of polygonal models currently on screen.
How does that compare to the Dreamcast running at 60 frames per second during gameplay?
4.) Other visual enhancements include smoother character animations and sharper, perspective-corrected textures for the 3D models.
Smoother than the PS1 but smoother than the Dreamcast & GameCube also?
5.) Alternate costumes, the ability to adjust the degree of violence and to change the blood color, a randomizer to place items differently during each playthrough, and a more responsive first-person control scheme. All of that sounds great, N64 your control scheme is more responsive? You sons of bitches.
6.) 16 new in-game documents known as the "Ex Files. Damn I'm a sucker for extras.
7.) No Extreme Battle Mini game. Not important to me.

Feel free to share your thoughts, answer any question I put forth or correct misinformation I may have posted. I'm curious to hear yalls opinions I really want the Dreamcast version of one of my favorite games to add to the collection. Though I have also recently acquired a N64 and it seems that version may be superior.

Creek Indian
11-02-2013, 10:03 PM
bump

Melf
11-02-2013, 10:04 PM
I'm on the look out for the N64 version. It's the only one I haven't played. I have the expansion pack, so I want to see how it looks.

Aarzak
11-02-2013, 10:24 PM
I'm on the look out for the N64 version. It's the only one I haven't played. I have the expansion pack, so I want to see how it looks.

At this point it's more of a novelty purchase if you're just concerned about the main game. Though it was, and still is an impressive feat for a cart-based game.

I remember being surprised at seeing DC versions of RE2, 3 and Dino Crisis on store shelves during the 2000 holiday season, and taking them for granted despite their $20 price point.

Creek Indian
11-02-2013, 10:48 PM

Did you notice if the characters and backgrounds looked better on the GameCube or the Dreamcast?

Metalwario64
11-02-2013, 11:00 PM
I'm defiantly in the market for Resident Evil 2 for the Dreamcast.
If you're defiantly in the market, then does that mean you really don't want Resident Evil 2 for Dreamcast? :p

Creek Indian
11-02-2013, 11:16 PM
If you're defiantly in the market, then does that mean you really don't want Resident Evil 2 for Dreamcast? :p

I think it means I'm looking to buy a copy of Resident Evil 2 for the Dreamcast. In one weeks time I will have the funds to purchase and I'll do so. But with the information I've come to read I might have to invest in a N64 version. The collector in me might not let me rest until I do.

I still want to know everything that anyone knows about the different versions.

Semmie
11-03-2013, 03:32 PM
i got re 2 3 code veronica on dc and they rock

i heard forum guys loving re veronica most on dc. and i really cant say why /s they must have a good reason for that

Gogogadget
11-03-2013, 03:53 PM
Code Veronica has some lovely extra bugs in the Gamecube & PS2 ports if memory serves correctly that don't exist in the DC version, the graphics aren't really any better either.

I prefer the Dreamcast/PC port of RE2 for Extreme Battle mode which I find enjoyable, I just need to pick up RE1 Saturn.

Semmie
11-03-2013, 05:17 PM
nobody mentions the ds version of resident evil 1 deadly silence.
this version has 2 modes. one mode having a first person action in some scenes.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-yd7yOKN5V0

sheath
11-03-2013, 07:44 PM
I think it means I'm looking to buy a copy of Resident Evil 2 for the Dreamcast. In one weeks time I will have the funds to purchase and I'll do so. But with the information I've come to read I might have to invest in a N64 version. The collector in me might not let me rest until I do.

I still want to know everything that anyone knows about the different versions.

The word you are looking for is definitely. Defiantly is an adjective also (http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/defiantly), but means nothing relevant to the rest of your statement. For some reason a lot of people misspell definitely as defiantly online today, along with bad punctuation, capitalization and grammar.

I would also like to see a detailed comparison of the different versions of Resident Evil. I know the Gamecube games are entire remakes with a ton of FMV replacing the static backgrounds. I know that the Dreamcast games, aside from Code Veronica, are quick ports of the PC versions. That is about it.

TrekkiesUnite118
11-03-2013, 08:18 PM
If I remember correctly the Dreamcast and Gamecube ports are both based on the PC version and as a result both use the same quality assets for the models, textures, and backgrounds.

bultje112
11-04-2013, 06:17 AM
the n64 version was one of the most impressive n64 games period. however the dreamcast version is the best imo. gc version was even more disapointing port than dc version.

The Jackal
11-04-2013, 06:08 PM
If I remember correctly the Dreamcast and Gamecube ports are both based on the PC version and as a result both use the same quality assets for the models, textures, and backgrounds.

I think you're right. If I remember correctly, the GameCube port is nothing more than a direct port of the Dreamcast one, minus a lot of the extras.

A Black Falcon
11-04-2013, 06:32 PM
Yeah, the N64 version is great. It does have lower-quality FMVs than the other versions, though. I believe it also reuses a few FMVs in both characters' stories in order to save space? Otherwise, best version, I think.

Black_Tiger
11-04-2013, 09:05 PM
Yeah, the N64 version is great. It does have lower-quality FMVs than the other versions, though. I believe it also reuses a few FMVs in both characters' stories in order to save space? Otherwise, best version, I think.

What exactly makes it stand out? Doesn't it have worse 2D/3D/FMV graphics than the DC/GC versions and more or less the same loading times as the rest?

A Black Falcon
11-04-2013, 11:18 PM
The N64 version is the only version of any classic RE title with an actual normal 3d analog controls option, remember! Sure, I can deal with digital tank controls if I must, and you can do that in N64 RE2 too if you really want to, but normal analog control is so awesome...

Also, it does have those higher-poly character models. Do the GC/DC versions increase model polygon count from the PS1 version that they are ultimately based on? I'm sure they have better textures though, sure.

Metalwario64
11-04-2013, 11:44 PM
The N64 version is the only version of any classic RE title with an actual normal 3d analog controls option, remember! Sure, I can deal with digital tank controls if I must, and you can do that in N64 RE2 too if you really want to, but normal analog control is so awesome...
What about the PSX Dual Shock versions? I haven't played them, but I thought they had traditional analog controls (though I could never recommend the Dual Shock version of RE1 because of the atrocious replacement music).

sheath
11-05-2013, 08:01 AM
@ 5:50

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c6qVUEqQaKE

@ 5:36

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ofc2aT5RMbk

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bmViSPAxLpM

Huh, I don't know why I assumed all of the Gamecube games were FMV background remakes. Is that just RE0 and RE1?

Barone
11-05-2013, 08:18 AM
Learn!
http://bimg1.mlstatic.com/ps1-resident-evil-directors-cut-dual-shock-ver_MLB-F-5200889296_102013.jpg
http://www.game-rave.com/psx/playstation_perfect_guide/releasedgames/resident_evil2/gr_re2_var1.jpg

One more N64 fanboysm's myth busted to the greater good! :rock:

bultje112
11-05-2013, 03:18 PM

Also, it does have those higher-poly character models. Do the GC/DC versions increase model polygon count from the PS1 version that they are ultimately based on? I'm sure they have better textures though, sure.

wow. you really don't try to hide your nintendo fanboyism do you? the dreamcast version isn't a psx port but a pc port and features way better textures than n64. also the n64 has worse and less fmv. re2 is best on dc or gc. not n64. how impressive it is for an n64 game though.

Black_Tiger
11-05-2013, 03:53 PM
I guess it's safe to assume then that the DC and GC versions likely also support analog controls?

Gogogadget
11-05-2013, 04:08 PM
I guess it's safe to assume then that the DC and GC versions likely also support analog controls?

Yup

A Black Falcon
11-05-2013, 08:37 PM
What about the PSX Dual Shock versions? I haven't played them, but I thought they had traditional analog controls (though I could never recommend the Dual Shock version of RE1 because of the atrocious replacement music).
What do you mean by "traditional analog controls"?

I mean, in the PS1 Dualshock, N64, PC, DC, and GC versions, you can use the analog stick. However, as with the d-pad, you turn left and right with left and right, and move forward and back with forward and back. There are only two movement speeds, walk or run, just like with a d-pad. So, it is "analog", but just barely.

On the N64 only, however, you have a second option that is not available anywhere else. It's called "first person" controls, and with this, you move up when you press up, move left when you press left, move right when you move right, and move back when you press back. It's a very interesting option to have. They are camera-relative, so you'll have to readjust after shifting screens, but still, I do prefer it to the tank controls. There are still only two movement speeds, since that's how the game works, but the removal of tank controls makes a difference, and is a bigger difference from d-pad controls than the mode the other consoles (and the N64 too, if you use standard "third person", aka tank, controls) have.

Learn!
[IMG]http://bimg1.mlstatic.com/ps1-resident-evil-directors-cut-dual-shock-ver_MLB-F-5200889296_102013.jpg
[IMG]http://www.game-rave.com/psx/playstation_perfect_guide/releasedgames/resident_evil2/gr_re2_var1.jpg

One more N64 fanboysm's myth busted to the greater good! :rock:
If you don't understand the difference between the N64-exclusive true analog directional controls and the tank-controls-on-a-stick controls of the other versions, that's your problem, not mine. But it isn't true, the "first person" mode on the N64 is exclusive.

wow. you really don't try to hide your nintendo fanboyism do you? the dreamcast version isn't a psx port but a pc port and features way better textures than n64. also the n64 has worse and less fmv. re2 is best on dc or gc. not n64. how impressive it is for an n64 game though.
You really don't know that the PC version is also a PS1 port? The PC, DC, and GC versions make some minor enhancements to the PS1 version, in image quality, resolution, etc., but the base game in all of those versions is the PS1 version, not the N64 one. I have the PC and N64 versions. The PC one is a clear PS1 up-port, the N64 one its own thing.

Seriously you people, actually read about the game before making your false attacks against me! There's a lot out there about the different RE2 versions.

Metalwario64
11-05-2013, 09:35 PM
What do you mean by "traditional analog controls"?

I mean, in the PS1 Dualshock, N64, PC, DC, and GC versions, you can use the analog stick. However, as with the d-pad, you turn left and right with left and right, and move forward and back with forward and back. There are only two movement speeds, walk or run, just like with a d-pad. So, it is "analog", but just barely.

On the N64 only, however, you have a second option that is not available anywhere else. It's called "first person" controls, and with this, you move up when you press up, move left when you press left, move right when you move right, and move back when you press back. It's a very interesting option to have. They are camera-relative, so you'll have to readjust after shifting screens, but still, I do prefer it to the tank controls. There are still only two movement speeds, since that's how the game works, but the removal of tank controls makes a difference, and is a bigger difference from d-pad controls than the mode the other consoles (and the N64 too, if you use standard "third person", aka tank, controls) have..
I see. I haven't played the N64 or Dual Shock versions, so I was wondering if the Dual Shock versions were limited to the tank controls, or if they had analog controls like you described with the "first person" mode on the N64 version, but you clarified it.

That's very interesting. I might track down the N64 version at some point now.

Creek Indian
11-05-2013, 10:11 PM
Good information. I don't feel as bad about selling my GameCube copy a few years ago. I'm looking forward to revisiting a great game on the Dreamcast. It seems the N64 is worth picking up also to experiment with the different controls - although I enjoy the original controls always have.

sheath
11-05-2013, 10:56 PM
A whole lot of somebodies failed to actually look at the videos I just linked and spouted off at the mouth anyway.

Barone
11-06-2013, 10:50 AM
There are only two movement speeds, walk or run, just like with a d-pad. So, it is "analog", but just barely.

If you don't understand the difference between the N64-exclusive true analog directional controls and the tank-controls-on-a-stick controls of the other versions, that's your problem, not mine. But it isn't true, the "first person" mode on the N64 is exclusive.
The problem is that, as usual, you overhype the N64-related strengths using nonsense definitions of your own. The N64 version has an exclusive control scheme, it doesn't make it or the other versions "true analog" or "false analog" or "half-true analog" or "barely analog" as your bs talking says... And the PS1 version already had a combination for 180 quick turn; so, for the people used to the series and its controls it doesn't really change the world. Of course, it's always nice to have an extra control scheme in the options menu, I just don't feel like it overcomes the far inferior audio quality and blurry FMV cutscenes, but to each his own, I suppose.

You really don't know that the PC version is also a PS1 port? The PC, DC, and GC versions make some minor enhancements to the PS1 version, in image quality, resolution, etc., but the base game in all of those versions is the PS1 version, not the N64 one. I have the PC and N64 versions. The PC one is a clear PS1 up-port, the N64 one its own thing.
That's you and your exaggerated claims once again. ALL cutscenes and dialogs of the N64 were just ripped from the original PS1 game, to begin with...
What you have with the N64 version is a port made by Angel Studios and not by Capcom themselves like for DC, PC and PS1 versions; so they probably felt like it was a good idea to include some extras since the game was already released 21 months earlier on the PS1 and 8 months earlier on the PC. In the N64 you have extras: new hidden costumes, new scrapbook, new control scheme option, high res option with the expansion pack. BUT, it doesn't mean it isn't a port of the PS1; it's just a port with some extras.
Also, IDK where/how you obtained the information that the N64 version uses higher poly count 3D models; AFAIK it's another of your bs claims.

About the OP:
The DC version is the one with best graphics, superior to the GC ones, yes; and still high quality audio. IMO it's the best version but if you want to try some unique extras, then the N64 version is your choice.

A Black Falcon
11-06-2013, 11:24 PM
The problem is that, as usual, you overhype the N64-related strengths using nonsense definitions of your own. The N64 version has an exclusive control scheme, it doesn't make it or the other versions "true analog" or "false analog" or "half-true analog" or "barely analog" as your bs talking says... And the PS1 version already had a combination for 180 quick turn; so, for the people used to the series and its controls it doesn't really change the world. Of course, it's always nice to have an extra control scheme in the options menu, I just don't feel like it overcomes the far inferior audio quality and blurry FMV cutscenes, but to each his own, I suppose.
You're right that they are both analog, but I do think that the "first person" mode uses the analog stick more effectively and makes better use of it as an analog control method. That's why I said that -- because it's better analog controls, and clearly differentiates it from digital controls in a way that the other versions don't do. Apart from "first person" mode, in the versions with analog control, since the game still has tank controls, the only real uses of the analog are for run/walk on one stick (instead of having to press a button) and curving left or right a bit while you run. While standing? Pressing left or right to rotate is the same with d-pad or analog, as is moving forward or back, curving run aside. But with "first person" controls, you get something which clearly would be worse with a d-pad. Since you can directly move in any direction, it is a control system that could not be accurately replicated on an 8-way pad. That isn't nearly as true with the regular "third person" controls.

That's you and your exaggerated claims once again. ALL cutscenes and dialogs of the N64 were just ripped from the original PS1 game, to begin with...
What you have with the N64 version is a port made by Angel Studios and not by Capcom themselves like for DC, PC and PS1 versions; so they probably felt like it was a good idea to include some extras since the game was already released 21 months earlier on the PS1 and 8 months earlier on the PC. In the N64 you have extras: new hidden costumes, new scrapbook, new control scheme option, high res option with the expansion pack. BUT, it doesn't mean it isn't a port of the PS1; it's just a port with some extras.
Well, yes, of course the N64 version is a port too. The point is that the DC and GC versions include none of the N64 version's added features; instead they go back to the PC, and thus PS1 original, base. That's disappointing, considering that the N64 version added some interesting stuff.

Also, IDK where/how you obtained the information that the N64 version uses higher poly count 3D models; AFAIK it's another of your bs claims.

About the OP:
The DC version is the one with best graphics, superior to the GC ones, yes; and still high quality audio. IMO it's the best version but if you want to try some unique extras, then the N64 version is your choice.
Have you ever read this? I'm doubtful. Read it, then come back. http://www.gamasutra.com/view/feature/131556/postmortem_angel_studios_.php

As for the polygon model thing, yes, the N64 version does use more polygons in its models than the PS1. See this comparison for example, which actually is very positive about the PS1 version in some graphical categories, some of it wrongly -- putting FMV quality in "graphics", along with the ingame graphics, is kind of questionable, and they don't put nearly enough importance on getting rid of jaggies), but does point out that the N64 does have higher-poly characters. http://www.lensoftruth.com/retro-head2head-resident-evil-2/ (edit: site is back up. Use this url.)

Once again, instead of making false attacks and insulting me, do some research...

gamegenie
11-07-2013, 01:22 AM
I have Resident Evil Director's Cut for PS1, the OG version. Don't know if it supported analog since my PSX controller is the original thus no analog sticks.
You guys want to talk hardcore, I use to play this game on PS1 without a memory card back in the day because I was a poor little kid. :)

I didn't get RE2 well into the 2000s. I have it on cartridge systems: the Game.com and the Nintendo 64 (yeah that's right the clusterfuck Tiger handheld).

I only played RE3 on PC awhile back never owned it, vaguely remember it.

RE Code Veronica X, I picked up on PS2 back in 2000, great game.

Never paid any attention to RE4, partly because RE Code Veronica was RE4 to me.

Picked up Resident Evil 5, loved it, the visuals, the realistic look of it finally legitimized the game as a law enforcement crime fighting genre for me where as before the series just seemed like a niche horror game. IMO RE5 is the best of the series.

bultje112
11-07-2013, 04:34 AM
if you loved 5, then you will adore 4 for sure. imo 5 is one of the best re games if you play it with a friend. with ai it's less 've heard.

Gogogadget
11-07-2013, 07:18 AM
I hated RE5, much prefer RE4, although it has a terrible name Revelations is a pretty decent effort too.

Never paid any attention to RE4, partly because RE Code Veronica was RE4 to me.

Technically.. Code Veronica is RE3, but yeah.

TrekkiesUnite118
11-07-2013, 10:39 AM
Technically.. Code Veronica is RE3, but yeah.

Um, what?

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/a/a5/Resident_Evil_3_Cover.jpg

Bottino
11-07-2013, 02:14 PM
I don't reconize the Resident Evil series after Code Veronica.
There's no "survival" nor "horror".You just mow down zombies/monsters with your machine gun.

This series should've ended by now.

Gogogadget
11-07-2013, 02:26 PM
Um, what?

Code Veronica internally was known as Resident Evil 3 with it's Dreamcast exclusive status still around, and Nemesis was just Resident Evil: Nemesis, when hearing about this Sony flipped out and demanded a re-name, as their contract with Capcom apparently stated that a Resident Evil trilogy would be released on PlayStation, therefore they decided to rename Nemesis to 3: Nemesis and Code Veronica became the spin-off despite being a sequel.

Considering that Nemesis takes place 24 hours before 2 at the start of the game, this would make sense.

bultje112
11-07-2013, 03:35 PM
Um, what?

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/a/a5/Resident_Evil_3_Cover.jpg
resident evil code veronica is the real re3. storyline wise(if you'd ever played the game you'd know) and also internally at capcom and anyone who is/was even a remote re fan knew this. nemesis is just a sidegame with number 3 slapped on it

bultje112
11-07-2013, 03:36 PM
There's no "survival" nor "horror".You just mow down zombies/monsters with your machine gun.

no re game is horror anyway imo. and the re 4 and 5 etc are still very much on survival. in re4 I couldn't finish the game because I hadn't spared enough ammo.

sheath
11-07-2013, 03:41 PM
RE4 is basically the only game in the series that I can enjoy even a little bit. I haven't played the later game(s), but the Alone in the Dark clones are nothing but an annoyance for me. They can't scare me because the controls and camera angle and art are so bad that I am too annoyed to be scared. Also, limiting ammo in a game that plays that bad just pisses me off even more.

Revenge of Shinobi will remain the best designed and most thorough "Survival Horror" game and I am very glad that it is a proper Action game.

TrekkiesUnite118
11-07-2013, 04:01 PM
resident evil code veronica is the real re3. storyline wise(if you'd ever played the game you'd know) and also internally at capcom and anyone who is/was even a remote re fan knew this. nemesis is just a sidegame with number 3 slapped on it

But at the end of the day, Resident Evil 3 is still Resident Evil 3.

The Jackal
11-07-2013, 07:18 PM
RE4 is basically the only game in the series that I can enjoy even a little bit. I haven't played the later game(s), but the Alone in the Dark clones are nothing but an annoyance for me. They can't scare me because the controls and camera angle and art are so bad that I am too annoyed to be scared. Also, limiting ammo in a game that plays that bad just pisses me off even more.

Have you played Resident Evil 3 then? That game scared the shit out of me when I first played it, (the only game in the series to do so in fact) merely for the fact of Nemesis. He turns up at the worst of times (when you lack ammo, short on health, etc) and just makes you panic and try and make a run for the nearest save room. I love that game. Simply adore it.

old man
11-07-2013, 07:25 PM

you've obviously never played the Resident Evil 3 that isn't Resident Evil 3. If you had then you would know the difference between Resident Evil 3 and Resident Evil 3.

tomaitheous
11-07-2013, 08:19 PM
A whole lot of somebodies failed to actually look at the videos I just linked and spouted off at the mouth anyway.

I watched them. That N64/PS1 split screen comparison video was pretty cool. I would have thought that the N64 version would have had better looking models, but no. The models are the same and the textures are better on the PS1. Heh. The FMV and still backgrounds on the N64 version are lower res than the PS1 as well. Still, pretty cool that they did fit that into a cart.

synbiosfan
11-07-2013, 09:28 PM

I did enjoy the Gamecube RE remake but I hated 4, I didn't enjoy the demos for 5 or 6.

I do like the Umbrella & Darkside Chronicles.

I kind of agree with you.

Creek Indian
11-07-2013, 09:43 PM

10-4

They don't make em' like they use to. Its a shame - they could keep everything the same and make it look stunning nowadays and you would have a hell of a game. RE1 remake and RE0 achieved this. I wish everyone involved with Heavy Rain for PS3 made a remake RE2 or 3 and I was playing it right now.

Barone
11-07-2013, 09:49 PM
You're right that they are both analog, but I do think that the "third person" mode uses hte analog stick more effectively and makes better use of it as an analog control method. That's why I said that -- because it's better analog controls, and clearly differentiates it from digital controls in a way that the other versions don't do. Apart from "first person" mode, in the versions with analog control, since the game still has tank controls, the only real uses of the analog are for run/walk on one stick (instead of having to press a button) and curving left or right a bit while you run. While standing? Pressing left or right to rotate is the same with d-pad or analog, as is moving forward or back, curving run aside. But with "first person" controls, you get something which clearly would be worse with a d-pad. Since you can directly move in any direction, it is a control system that could not be accurately replicated on an 8-way pad. That isn't nearly as true with the regular "third person" controls.
Agreed.

Well, yes, of course the N64 version is a port too. The point is that the DC and GC versions include none of the N64 version's added features; instead they go back to the PC, and thus PS1 original, base. That's disappointing, considering that the N64 version added some interesting stuff.
DC version also has its extras. And I think it's a usual practice to not carry on the extras added by different 3rd parties for a given game.

Have you ever read this? I'm doubtful. Read it, then come back. http://www.gamasutra.com/view/feature/131556/postmortem_angel_studios_.php
I read it and I'm back to say that it just sustains what I've said in my previous posts: It's a PS1 port (they actually explicitly say they just converted most of the assets) and the extras were demanded by the publisher (probably to add value to a game that was already released in other platforms for quite some time).

As for the polygon model thing, yes, the N64 version does use more polygons in its models than the PS1. See this comparison for example, which actually is very positive about the PS1 version in some graphical categories, some of it wrongly -- putting FMV quality in "graphics", along with the ingame graphics, is kind of questionable, and they don't put nearly enough importance on getting rid of jaggies), but does point out that the N64 does have higher-poly characters. http://www.lensoftruth.com/retro-head2head-resident-evil-2/ (edit: site is back up. Use this url.)
http://www.gifti.me/i/WpNsRQw9.gif
If you cared to read the previous posts you'd notice that one of the videos provided by sheath is actually a comparison made by the very same guy responsible for the www.lensoftruth.com website.
Also, his/your claim is clearly unfounded and technically wrong as the video and screenshots show...
Just 'cause a random nobody wrote in a website that the N64 uses higher polygon count 3D models doesn't mean that it's actually any truth and right; I can write in gamepilgrimage.com that the PS1 version uses a higher resolution than the DC version if I want to, but it doesn't make it a fact though...

Once again, instead of making false attacks and insulting me, do some research...
Those were actually true attacks (:p) and you should learn to read what people reply to you prior to keep spreading your N64 fanboysm nonsense.

I watched them. That N64/PS1 split screen comparison video was pretty cool. I would have thought that the N64 version would have had better looking models, but no. The models are the same and the textures are better on the PS1. Heh. The FMV and still backgrounds on the N64 version are lower res than the PS1 as well. Still, pretty cool that they did fit that into a cart.
Agreed. However, the characters don't suffer of polygon clipping in the N64 like in the PS1 version.

Anyway, I think I'm done with these shots (look at the shirt of the zombie on the left; c'mon!):
http://img713.imageshack.us/img713/2517/n9k8.png

sheath
11-07-2013, 09:50 PM
Have you played Resident Evil 3 then? That game scared the shit out of me when I first played it, (the only game in the series to do so in fact) merely for the fact of Nemesis. He turns up at the worst of times (when you lack ammo, short on health, etc) and just makes you panic and try and make a run for the nearest save room. I love that game. Simply adore it.

Not beyond the first segment, I doubt I have played any of the PS1 age RE games more than about thirty minutes each. I might need to give them a shot now that my fast twitch muscles are on the fritz.

Lens of Truth is making me think I maybe sort of should consider another hobby. They do a good job. I would think that the models in the RE games should be better all around just because of the 2D backgrounds. It makes no sense to me that they are some of the lowest detail characters in that generation. I stand by my theory that Capcom made RE as a joke mainly due to the 3D craze or a Sony mandate for making "3D" games.

A Black Falcon
11-07-2013, 11:13 PM
Agreed.
Gah, that first "third person" should have been "first person" of course! It's the new "first person" mode which is improved analog controls. It's really too bad that Capcom did not ever include them in any of the RE games that came after N64 RE2, it was a real missed opportunity. You get used to tank controls, but having the option for the other style is so much better!

DC version also has its extras. And I think it's a usual practice to not carry on the extras added by different 3rd parties for a given game.
If you add some nice extras into a port of a game, and then don't include them in the next port, that's not good. And yes, I know that happens -- Square has done that too, look at FFIV for instance -- but it's unfortunate.

And on that note, I imagine you mean that the GC version is missing stuff from the DC version too? That's pretty stupid if true.

I read it and I'm back to say that it just sustains what I've said in my previous posts: It's a PS1 port (they actually explicitly say they just converted most of the assets) and the extras were demanded by the publisher (probably to add value to a game that was already released in other platforms for quite some time).
I didn't say it wasn't a port, I said that the port differs from the other versions in some significant ways, making it, I think, more different from the other versions than they are to eachother. That was my point.

http://www.gifti.me/i/WpNsRQw9.gif
If you cared to read the previous posts you'd notice that one of the videos provided by sheath is actually a comparison made by the very same guy responsible for the www.lensoftruth.com website.
Also, his/your claim is clearly unfounded and technically wrong as the video and screenshots show...
Just 'cause a random nobody wrote in a website that the N64 uses higher polygon count 3D models doesn't mean that it's actually any truth and right; I can write in gamepilgrimage.com that the PS1 version uses a higher resolution than the DC version if I want to, but it doesn't make it a fact though...
That wasn't just something that guy wrote... I mean, if you look at just about any review of N64 RE2, they don't say "it has more polygons", but they almost always point out how much nicer the graphics look. The biggest reason for this is of course the higher resolution support, but as he said there, there's more to it than just that.

IGN's review, for instance, says "improved game graphics". This is separate from their "high resolution screens" point. What does "improved game graphics" mean, though? Is it a reference only to the improved look of the polygon models (thanks to getting rid of jaggies, warping, and the like)? Well, I'm sure that's part of it, but I don't think that's all that it means, and lens of truth says that as well. This is an unproven point, either way, I think, though.

Those were actually true attacks (:p) and you should learn to read what people reply to you prior to keep spreading your N64 fanboysm nonsense.
Saying that I was lying and just made it up myself was an insulting, false attack. Don't say that kind of thing unless you can prove it... which you can't, since I found other examples of people saying the same thing.

Agreed. However, the characters don't suffer of polygon clipping in the N64 like in the PS1 version.
The N64 models look a whole lot better thanks to getting rid of jaggies and warping. It's not close.

Anyway, I think I'm done with these shots (look at the shirt of the zombie on the left; c'mon!):
http://img713.imageshack.us/img713/2517/n9k8.png[/quote]
They made the collar higher... so? If it looks worse on N64 it's only barely so, and the removal of the jaggies more than makes up for it. The bloodstain on his shirt looks better on the N64, too -- the smoothing makes for a more realistic look than the pixelated mess on the PS1 texture there.

bultje112
11-08-2013, 05:36 AM

in it's name yes. in nothing else. no remote re fan would even call it re3. just nemesis. maybe you should play the game instead of always commenting so quickly. then you'd know how ridiculous your comment is.

if you want scary games they need to be very hard in a good way and full of suspense. in this regard for me dragons dogma dark arisen is the scariest game I've ever played and it scared me for real when at certain points at random a necrophagous hellhound was standing in front of me who was 5x my character size. I jumped from my seat and even made a scream as it scared me to hell. his face but especially knowing I had come so far and this hellhound could kill me in one hit. I started running like hell with my team. I didn't even dare to go for the confrontation

tomaitheous
11-08-2013, 06:20 PM
They made the collar higher... so? If it looks worse on N64 it's only barely so, and the removal of the jaggies more than makes up for it. The bloodstain on his shirt looks better on the N64, too -- the smoothing makes for a more realistic look than the pixelated mess on the PS1 texture there.

What removal of jaggies??? At least, in that pic, the jaggies are ~exactly~ the same between the two. Higher res is the most minimal upgrade that the N64 needed. Matter of fact, the lower vertical res of 240p helped hide a lot of seams on the polygon models of that generation. Run both systems in an emulator and bump the res waaaaayyy past what they could originally do; you know see all the seams aon hard edges of the models that the 240p CRT TV sets used to help mask. The biggest thing n64 had over PS1, was the bi-linear filtering for floors, and no warping textures (probably THEE biggest advantage overall). The bi-linear filtering was nice, but the very low res textures on n64 games was apparent and counter productive IMO. Some games, it wasn't so bad (OOT looked great) - but most suffered from it. I could see it back then; I can still see it now.

That said, the bilinear filtering does not out weigh the lower res textures on these models IMO. The blood doesn't look better; it looks worse. It looks like the zombie just went for a swim and then was sprayed with blood. The PS1 textures on those models are higher res, more detailed, better contrast in relation to detail, etc. Matter of fact, the N64 port has lower contrast on everything in relation to detail, through out the whole game (background stills as well). Makes me thing that they wanted a 'unified' look, else the textures on the models wouldn't really jive.

As for the collar being higher? Just look at it. The way it's drawn means you used a slightly smaller image. You really think they thought, "hey, this guy should have a higher collar - too much chest showing there...". No. It's no secret the N64 had a pretty big weakness when it came to the resolution of textures used for models.

I'm not even sure why I'm even bothering trying to point out anything at all. I really don't care about that generation or its games. I played the hell out of games back then, but it's one of the only generations that I really don't like to revisit (save for a handful of games).

A Black Falcon
11-08-2013, 08:02 PM
What removal of jaggies??? At least, in that pic, the jaggies are ~exactly~ the same between the two. Higher res is the most minimal upgrade that the N64 needed. Matter of fact, the lower vertical res of 240p helped hide a lot of seams on the polygon models of that generation. Run both systems in an emulator and bump the res waaaaayyy past what they could originally do; you know see all the seams aon hard edges of the models that the 240p CRT TV sets used to help mask. The biggest thing n64 had over PS1, was the bi-linear filtering for floors, and no warping textures (probably THEE biggest advantage overall). The bi-linear filtering was nice, but the very low res textures on n64 games was apparent and counter productive IMO. Some gam es, it wasn't so bad (OOT looked great) - but most suffered from it. I could see it back then; I can still see it now.
I don't know what you're talking about, with regards to the N64 having jaggies... it doesn't. The Z-buffer makes sure of that. Unless you're talking about edges that are an unavoidable result of the low resolutions most games play at, and calling those "jaggies"? That's not the same thing, though.

Also, if you just look at the full article -- not just that one picture, but all of them -- the difference, in how the N64 gets rid of jaggies on polygons, is VERY apparent. It's not quite as obvious in that picture as it is in some, but look at the full article and the difference is very clear. Of course this only applies to the polygons; RE2's backgrounds are static images, so that's different. This image shows the removal of jaggies nicely, for example: http://www.lensoftruth.com/wp-content/gallery/cache/20158__590x480_rh2h_re2_both_06.jpg

That said, the bilinear filtering does not out weigh the lower res textures on these models IMO. The blood doesn't look better; it looks worse. It looks like the zombie just went for a swim and then was sprayed with blood. The PS1 textures on those models are higher res, more detailed, better contrast in relation to detail, etc.
I don't understand why anyone would say that that horribly pixelated blood splatter on the PS1 actually looks better... it doesn't, at all! The smoothed N64 look looks more realistic and is definitely better than that overly pixelated thing on the PS1. I know it's cool to hate on N64 texture smoothing, but chunky PS1 pixels are NOT better. At all.

. Matter of fact, the N64 port has lower contrast on everything in relation to detail, through out the whole game (background stills as well). Makes me thing that they wanted a 'unified' look, else the textures on the models wouldn't really jive.
This may be true. It' depend on whether it was done for that reason, or for space reasons, or what, though.

As for the collar being higher? Just look at it. The way it's drawn means you used a slightly smaller image. You really think they thought, "hey, this guy should have a higher collar - too much chest showing there...". No. It's no secret the N64 had a pretty big weakness when it came to the resolution of textures used for models.
However they got there, the end result is that it just looks like the collars of all three zombies are a little bit higher. It's a minor issue.

Barone
11-08-2013, 09:44 PM
The N64 models look a whole lot better thanks to getting rid of jaggies and warping. It's not close.

I don't know what you're talking about, with regards to the N64 having jaggies... it doesn't.

I don't understand why anyone would say that that horribly pixelated blood splatter on the PS1 actually looks better... it doesn't, at all! The smoothed N64 look looks more realistic and is definitely better than that overly pixelated thing on the PS1. I know it's cool to hate on N64 texture smoothing, but chunky PS1 pixels are NOT better. At all.
http://img703.imageshack.us/img703/8771/9izw.png

bultje112
11-09-2013, 06:13 AM
you must spread some more reputation around. damnit!!

hilarious picture!

Bottino
11-10-2013, 01:16 PM
"You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to Barone again."

Hahahahahahahaha