PDA

View Full Version : AVGN on Sega CD

Joe Redifer
05-02-2007, 09:14 PM
A lot of people don't like this guy, but this video isn't bad (besides the lame 90 minute song in the beginning).

http://www.gametrailers.com/player.php?id=19089&type=wmv

I like his verbatim take on the Sega CD commercial.

Black_Tiger
05-02-2007, 10:02 PM
I like the stuff he spotted in Lethal Enforcers. :p

0x15e
05-03-2007, 11:58 AM
Pretty funny stuff. I've never watched one of these because the whole Angry Nerd concept seemed stupid to me but when it's about the Sega CD, I have to check it out.

And he pretty much only liked Sol Feace and Sonic CD. That is awesome. :mrgreen:

system
05-03-2007, 01:23 PM
The intro sequence is like half a year long, which would perhaps have been okay if it had been pleasant to listen to, but it isn't.

I kinda liked his take on Sewer Shark though :P

Midnight
05-04-2007, 05:23 AM
It's to bad he never mentioned some of the other good games on the system like Lunar, Shining Force CD, EJ:SE, and Final Fight CD.

Overall, the system wasn't very good though from a software standpoint. As long as you avoid the bulk of the FMV crap though, there is a lot of fun to be had.

0x15e
05-04-2007, 11:22 AM
It's to bad he never mentioned some of the other good games on the system like Lunar, Shining Force CD, EJ:SE, and Final Fight CD.Well he obviously couldn't have brought that up, as it didn't support his "it sucks" stance. It's far easier to yell about something sucking than provide a balanced "the FMV stuff sucks but there were some really good games if you dig for them" review.

16-bit
05-04-2007, 01:06 PM
I wish that he looked at some of the good games. Like Shining Force, Keio, Popful Mail, EarthWorm Jim SE and others. He did his take on Willy Beamish, which was a good game, but he just winded up bashing it.

A lot of people don't like this guy

The problem with this guy is that alot of people like him, and people who try to reveiw video games on youtube with videos get flamed incsessantly because the youtube userbase is certain that making a video reveiw of a video game is ripping off the Angry Video Game Nerd.

Zebbe
05-04-2007, 03:57 PM
It was a cool video, and he got some good points, but the loading times are not long for the Sega CD. I've never played any disc-based system which loads faster than the Sega CD. Especially saving and loading from the built-in memory is very fast, unlike the PlayStation which doesn't even have a built-in memory and is retardably slow.

Elusive
05-04-2007, 05:59 PM
the youtube userbase

There's your problem.

0x15e
05-04-2007, 06:03 PM
It was a cool video, and he got some good points, but the loading times are not long for the Sega CD.Two words: Willy Beamish.

That game is almost unplayable due to loading. Every time someone talks, you have to wait 2-3 seconds for it to load their voice sample. This can cause a conversation to drag out to 5-10x the length it actually should be. Apparently, they fixed that in time for Rise of the Dragon ... by dropping most of the voices.

I think later 1x cd systems seemed slower due to the sheer quantity of data they were having to load for a level. For instance, the Sega CD had just over 6.5Mbit of ram so the absolute most data it could be preloading was ~800KB. So at 1x (~176KB/s), you're waiting an absolute maximum of 5-6 seconds for it to fill its ram (for a sequential read, this doesn't consider access / seek time). Of course, since the Sega CD mostly was doing small cart-type games or streaming FMV, you didn't see much loading like that so it wasn't a huge deal anyway.

Contrast that with a later system like the Neo Geo CD with 7MB of ram (worst case scenario since both the PSX and Saturn had far less ram). At 1x, you're looking at a good 40 seconds for a complete load, which happened regularly (again, a sequential read).

As for why the Sega CD loaded / saved data faster, the technology was very different. It, and some other systems of the time, used SRAM, which is basically ram with a battery, and much faster than the flash-based storage Sony was / is using. Also, it didn't hurt anything that again, the amount of storage available to the Sega CD was tiny.

Wooo ... nice little train of thought derailment there.

16-bit
05-05-2007, 02:10 AM
There's your problem.
:p Exactly!

I was going to make and submit a video review for GreenDog and DJboy. The only problem is that I know that some retarded kid and his friends are going to spam my profile and comments sections of my movies, just for making a video review of a video game. Which just proves that I'm an AVGN wanna be even if I'm reviewing a game I like, and not bashing it incessantly.

Zebbe
05-05-2007, 08:15 AM
0x15e: I see. Never played Willy Beamish actually. I don't understand why Sony uses flash when SRAM is so much faster. Do you?

0x15e
05-05-2007, 01:29 PM
0x15e: I see. Never played Willy Beamish actually. I don't understand why Sony uses flash when SRAM is so much faster. Do you?I'm under the impression that SRAM is more expensive and has the added disadvantage of having to replace batteries (when the battery dies, you lose your saves).

Zebbe
05-05-2007, 04:44 PM
Yeah, that's a problem. But since we live in the Space Age today, Sony should just have made it possible to drag and drop saves to a computer with the USB port, at least for the PS2. The unit should be constructed so it is easy to replace batteries. And it shouldn't be expensive, just look how many cart games used it while it raise the price that much.

Henry Spencer
05-15-2007, 04:57 PM
He missed out the best games, noticeably (Snatcher, Sonic CD, EWJ CD, Final Fight CD etc). He only does it for a laugh.

Zebbe
05-15-2007, 06:54 PM
He didn't miss out Sonic CD.

David J.
05-15-2007, 09:50 PM
Sonic CD is overrated, IMO. Not a bad game, but it's not as amazing as people think it is. It just feels incomplete at parts.

Joe Redifer
05-15-2007, 10:00 PM
I certainly do not approve of the whole time-traveling motif. I always try not to run too fast or I will warp in time. I am displeased that. And yes sometimes it is very hard to avoid hitting the PAST/FUTURE signs. Not only that, but there are sometimes random hiccups in the scrolling as well since the game is poorly programmed by amateurs. Definitely my least favorite Sonic game. It can go to hell.

evildragon
05-15-2007, 10:19 PM
I certainly do not approve of the whole time-traveling motif. I always try not to run too fast or I will warp in time. I am displeased that. And yes sometimes it is very hard to avoid hitting the PAST/FUTURE signs. Not only that, but there are sometimes random hiccups in the scrolling as well since the game is poorly programmed by amateurs. Definitely my least favorite Sonic game. It can go to hell.
argh, i hate those damn time traveling polls! I just want to beat a level, not sit and wait for the time traveling animation and sounds..

this is what I feel about sonic CD..

Worst framerate of any Sonic game.
Is essentially Sonic 1 with spindash and more.
Has a decent intro and ending video. (i do like the japanese ending music, despite it being corny)
Has a cool but choppy special stage
Level design errors due to time traveling!

oh yea, NO PSG sounds! FM does all the sound effects, and CDDA/PCM do the music.

Joe Redifer
05-15-2007, 11:12 PM
There are some PCM sound effects in there.

evildragon
05-15-2007, 11:16 PM
There are some PCM sound effects in there.
which ones? i never heard them.. if you're talking about the vocals, i don't include those as "effects"..

Zebbe
05-16-2007, 06:33 AM
You can open a cheat menue and listen to ALL PCM sounds there.

0x15e
05-16-2007, 01:58 PM
I always try not to run too fast or I will warp in time.Uhh, how do you intend to properly finish the game then? You have to go in the past in every level and destroy the electric egg-looking thing to get all good futures or you don't get the good ending. I thought the time travel thing, while a little hokey, actually worked pretty well. IMO, being able to see where the zone was, is, and is going is really interesting. It sure works a lot better than most of the crap Sega's been putting in the modern games (i.e., realistic people, people-populated cities, Arabian Nights, etc.).

which ones? i never heard them.. if you're talking about the vocals, i don't include those as "effects"..The round bumper and glass breaking sounds in Collision Chaos are what pop into my head right off.

Level design errors due to time traveling!You're just not thinking fourth-dimensionally! :) Sure, there's stuff all in the walls and places you can't get to ... I always thought of it more along the lines of the landscape just changed over time and the rings, monitors, or whatever were always there to begin with.

Zebbe
05-16-2007, 02:48 PM
You have to go in the past in every level and destroy the electric egg-looking thing to get all good futures or you don't get the good ending.

If you complete all bonus levels you will also get the good ending, even if you didn't destroy a single robot in the past.

evildragon
05-16-2007, 03:32 PM
what's so special about the good ending? i'd rather beat the game and just get the TRY AGAIN message, and Eggman laughing in the background with the spiraling vortex. :P

0x15e
05-16-2007, 04:41 PM
If you complete all bonus levels you will also get the good ending, even if you didn't destroy a single robot in the past.Gah. I just looked it up at GHZ and it seems to be an either / or (or both) thing. If you get all good futures, you get the good ending. If you get all the time stones, you get all good futures without trying AND the good ending.

Zebbe
05-16-2007, 06:12 PM
When I played it, I had all good futures in the first zones, up til the fourth, where I got the last time stone. Then all the good futures came by themselves, and there were no robots in the past either.

Elusive
05-16-2007, 06:14 PM
Gah. I just looked it up at GHZ and it seems to be an either / or (or both) thing. If you get all good futures, you get the good ending. If you get all the time stones, you get all good futures without trying AND the good ending.

So you can either complete all the bonus stages and get the Time Stones, or you can ignore the Time Stones and warp to the Past in every level. Bah; it's set on Little Planet, the regular rules of time and reality don't quite apply. It's kind of convenient like that :] I like how Amy can't catch hold of your arm in Palmtree Panic if you have a shield, though. That's a nice little touch.

edit: It makes sense in the in-game continuity, I suppose. The game assumes Good Future = Sonic has Time Stone and vice versa

Not my favourite Sonic game, but it's OK. And hey, Metal Sonic before the Sonic 2 version, getting Wikipedians hot under the collar even today :]

Henry Spencer
05-17-2007, 01:28 PM
He still missed out Snatcher, nothing comes near that for me on the system aside from Final Fight, EWJ and Sonic. He did say he has never played Snatcher on the forums however, he did claim he was interested as well.

JUNKER
05-19-2007, 02:05 AM
I can't believe he slammed Lethal Enforcers! That's one of the most IMPORTANT games in Konami's long history, and also one of their best games and classic titles!

Henry Spencer
05-19-2007, 09:14 AM
Lethal Enforcers is a great game. The AVGN only tends to do it for a laugh, so it's hard to tell which games he does actually like and which he doesn't.

0x15e
05-19-2007, 01:44 PM
While I'd say the arcade Lethal Enforcers was definitely an important milestone in light gun games, ALL of the home ports left a LOT to be desired. I don't remember 100% but I'm almost sure the repetition and other problems he brought up about the Sega CD port weren't issues in the arcade game.

You were pretty much screwed no matter what system you had. If you had the SNES one, it was censored. If you had the Genesis one, you had horrible graphics and undersampled soudns. If you had the Sega CD one, they fixed the sound but the graphics were still terrible. Of course that doesn't even address how inaccurate the guns were.

Then again, that's pretty much how ports went back then.

The AVGN only tends to do it for a laugh, so it's hard to tell which games he does actually like and which he doesn't.Actually, it's pretty easy to tell, IMO. He doesn't talk much about the ones he likes. :)
Sol-Feace? "Actually, I kind of like this one." *next game*
Sonic CD? "Arguably one of the best Sonic games." *next game*

JUNKER
05-19-2007, 01:51 PM
While I'd say the arcade Lethal Enforcers was definitely an important milestone in light gun games, ALL of the home ports left a LOT to be desired. I don't remember 100% but I'm almost sure the repetition and other problems he brought up about the Sega CD port weren't issues in the arcade game.

You were pretty much screwed no matter what system you had. If you had the SNES one, it was censored. If you had the Genesis one, you had horrible graphics and undersampled soudns. If you had the Sega CD one, they fixed the sound but the graphics were still terrible. Of course that doesn't even address how inaccurate the guns were.

Then again, that's pretty much how ports went back then.

Actually, it's pretty easy to tell, IMO. He doesn't talk much about the ones he likes. :)
Sol-Feace? "Actually, I kind of like this one." *next game*
Sonic CD? "Arguably one of the best Sonic games." *next game*

What do you mean the guns are inaccurate? Mine work like a charm! BTW, hey Henry! I didn't know you were here too! Surprise, surprise!

Henry Spencer
05-20-2007, 07:12 PM
What can I say? I get around I guess. :P

0x15e
05-21-2007, 12:04 AM
What do you mean the guns are inaccurate? Mine work like a charm! BTW, hey Henry! I didn't know you were here too! Surprise, surprise!I have both SNES and Genesis guns and it doesn't matter how careful I am with the calibration, it never really gets right. It's not too bad as long as the action stays in the middle of the screen but if I need to shoot anything near the edge, it's all over.

JUNKER
05-22-2007, 03:33 AM
I have both SNES and Genesis guns and it doesn't matter how careful I am with the calibration, it never really gets right. It's not too bad as long as the action stays in the middle of the screen but if I need to shoot anything near the edge, it's all over.

Did you try putting the barrel of the gun right up against the screen while calibrating it to make sure you get the center?

system
05-22-2007, 10:49 AM
The Sega CD port of Lethal Enforcers looks absolutely hideous. I'm thinking it never uses more than four colors on screen at the same time or something.

0x15e
05-22-2007, 11:39 AM
Did you try putting the barrel of the gun right up against the screen while calibrating it to make sure you get the center?I haven't tried that but wouldn't it sort of defeat the purpose of calibrating? Maybe I misunderstand what it's doing but I thought it would be best to do the calibration under the same conditions I'd be playing under (i.e., standing back a few feet). Next time I have it out, I'll give that a try.