PDA

View Full Version : Sega CD 2 for $30?

Joe Redifer
05-19-2007, 05:37 PM
Should I buy a complete (in the box but not new) Sega CD model 2 for $29.99 that I saw in a thrift store? It has the box, instructions, AC adapter, mixing cable, Genesis 1 extension and some weird metal plate thingy (like which comes with the 32X). I am spoiled by the $7 Sega CD 1 I found in a thrift store so this seems perhaps a bit much.

evildragon
05-19-2007, 05:43 PM
The model 2's seem to be just slightly slower..

for example, both my model 2's (i finally fixed my dead model 2!!) seem to skip on Corpse Killer 32X, but my model 1 does not, and works great...

BUT, the model 2 does have an interesting CD player BIOS screen, and you can switch CDs with it off..

Zebbe
05-19-2007, 05:48 PM
The weird metal plate thingy is also for attaching the Sega CD to the Genesis 1. The 32X has a plastic thingy, but it is for the Genesis 2. If you buy it, you don't have to press reset/start to open/close the disc tray, which is a huge hassle, like you do with the Model 1. Plus, you get to be amazed by three new loading screens, where Sonic can be seen in one of them! By the way, how does the official mixing cable look? I'd surely like to see one.

EDIT: evildragon: Yeah, it's so annoying to be forced to have the damn thing on just to switch a CD.

evildragon
05-19-2007, 06:08 PM
The weird metal plate thingy is also for attaching the Sega CD to the Genesis 1. The 32X has a plastic thingy, but it is for the Genesis 2. If you buy it, you don't have to press reset/start to open/close the disc tray, which is a huge hassle, like you do with the Model 1. Plus, you get to be amazed by three new loading screens, where Sonic can be seen in one of them! By the way, how does the official mixing cable look? I'd surely like to see one.

EDIT: evildragon: Yeah, it's so annoying to be forced to have the damn thing on just to switch a CD.
What three new loading screens? My model 1 Sega CD shows Sonic during the BIOS TMSS...

Joe Redifer
05-19-2007, 06:12 PM
Pressing RESET is no more of a hassle than pressing OPEN on the lid.

JUNKER
05-19-2007, 07:30 PM
I really am thinking about getting a model 2 SCD and model 2 Genesis, but I only wanna pay like $19.99 or at least $29.99 for that set. I'm getting really fed up with the model 1 I have, and where I put a disc on a tray, push start to close it, and it just opens the tray again after 2 seconds most of the time, and I need to manually close it AGAIN, by either pushing it closed with my fingers, or going to that menu, and selecting "Close" on that control panel thing, and it just spits out AGAIN! And I have to close it AGAIN, and I have to repeat this SAME process until it finally reads the damn disc!

0x15e
05-19-2007, 08:05 PM
$30 for a complete, boxed Sega CD 2 sounds like a good deal to me. Also, the metal plate is used for both the Genesis 1 and 2.

Zebbe: Here's a pic of my original mixing cable. I found this the other day when I was looking for some of my old games and it was like I struck gold. It's from the US first-release Sega CD 2.
http://i15.tinypic.com/5081l4h.jpg

I need to go cruise some thrift stores ... I never see deals like that. :)

Joe Redifer
05-19-2007, 09:52 PM
Yes, that was the cable in there and also the one included with the Sega CD 1 I believe. The one I use now doesn't have the giant thingy in the middle, though. WTF is that giant thing for, anyway? I DEMAND ANSWERS!

evildragon
05-19-2007, 10:05 PM
ferrite bead.. i use them all the time, removes interference..

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ferrite_bead

David J.
05-19-2007, 11:02 PM
Joe, I thought you hated the Model 2 Sega CD?

My Model 1 and Model 2 consoles never came with a mixing cable, so I bought a 2 foot cable, and works great.

Joe Redifer
05-20-2007, 01:21 AM
I do hate the model 2. I was thinking about selling it on eBay.

David J.
05-20-2007, 01:27 AM
Oh... in that case, I guess it's a good deal for reselling.

Meh, I'm not really bothered to be honest. I use a Model 1 as my daily Sega CD system, since it fits on my shelf along with my Saturn perfectly, and I barely play on SCD games as-is so I don't really care about the disc door motor.

JUNKER
05-20-2007, 02:25 AM
I do hate the model 2. I was thinking about selling it on eBay.
I'll buy it off ya if the price is right.

Zebbe
05-20-2007, 08:34 AM
What three new loading screens? My model 1 Sega CD shows Sonic during the BIOS TMSS...

There are three different for the model 2, the JP one has Sonic on it.

Pressing RESET is no more of a hassle than pressing OPEN on the lid.

Yes, because you have to put the system on and wait a few seconds. I don't have time for that!

I don't have a ferrite bead on my mixing cable. I doubt the sound will get any better with one.

evildragon
05-20-2007, 09:21 AM
No, the sound really won't, but it can reduce a "hum" picked up by the Genesis and CD while passing the back of the system. I know there's usually already a hum anyway, but it tries to remove any MORE hum..