PDA

View Full Version : Game Gear Rechargable Battery Pack

KnightWarrior
03-02-2015, 12:13 AM
I can't find the manual online anywhere, Is it 8 or 10 hours to fully charge the Battery?

Also I saw a mod let's you use Ni-MH Battery for longer life

TailsCD
03-03-2015, 06:14 PM
I bought one of those rechargeable battery packs and it didn't work, though I think there might be a way to replace the Ni-Cd battery inside the pack. I just plug my Game Gear into the wall with a Sega MK-2103 AC adapter when I want to play with my Game Gear. Unfortunately, my Game Gear doesn't work properly, so I can't really enjoy it.

A Black Falcon
03-04-2015, 01:25 AM
Ni-Cd batteries don't last, I doubt that many original Game Gear or Game Boy battery packs still work. For instance, I have two official Nintendo GB Battery Packs that I got back in the '90s, neither one works anymore.

I know you can mod a GG battery pack (and probably also the GB one) to put in a newer/better battery, etc., but without a mod... I wouldn't expect much. Rechargeable batteries lose effectiveness over time, and Ni-Cd ones from the early '90s are even worse at that than batteries today.

KnightWarrior
03-04-2015, 01:32 AM
My 2 Rechargable Battery Pack works, Took a charge..But I don't know how much Power they have if I use it for a long time

evilevoix
03-04-2015, 01:47 PM
I need to fix mine, they don't hold charges.

Azathoth
03-04-2015, 10:57 PM
Although I've yet to replace the cells in my Powerback, replacing the one in the original pill-shaped battery pack is virtually painless. No soldering, no special tools, you can slum it with a pair of needlenose pliers and some electrical tape if need be. It uses a standard rechargeable battery pack used for remote control cars that you can pick up in Radio Shack or tons of places online. I replaced mine around '00 and replaced it again about 2 months ago. Newest replacement one was Ni-MH pack with something crazy like 4800 or 3600mAh life. Even at the overpriced local Radio Shack it was only around $15 USD.

evilevoix
03-05-2015, 09:31 PM
Can you post a link to a specific battery pack to fix it? I also want to fix my OG Game Boy Battery Pack.

Azathoth
03-11-2015, 10:46 PM
Here's a quick search on Amazon (http://www.amazon.com/s?ie=UTF8&index=blended&keywords=7.2v%20battery%20pack&link_code=qs&tag=opera-20)

The battery pack uses a standard 7.2v 6 cell battery pack used in remote control cars. You can either replace it with a NiCd or NiMH, either will work, and when replaced either style battery will work with the standard GG or model 2 Genesis AC adapter for recharging. The connector plug from the factory won't be the same as what will be on the new battery pack so you can either waste the coin on an adapter or just wire it up straight. Be sure to pay attention and not cross the polarity with the wiring and you're good to go.

evilevoix
03-12-2015, 08:48 AM
Out standing, I need to get this done.

MathUser
03-13-2015, 02:42 PM
Sucks to know these battery packs no longer work. I hade one for gameboy color and it really saved alot of batteries.

Azathoth
03-16-2015, 11:06 PM
I'd love to find a proper fit for the cells used in the Powerback battery pack. If anyone knows of one a link would be appreciated.

Pixelepsy
03-17-2015, 09:18 PM
I'm somewhat surprised that no one else has sources for these things. This website, All-Battery.com (http://www.all-battery.com/74vli-ionbatterypacksandmodules.aspx), among others sell 7.4v packs of varying cell counts and capacity. I've used the website linked to mod the powerpack for the Nomad, and it works well.

You need to do some adjustments as far as the connectors etc are concerned though, and if you're going to bother with modding these packs, why even bother with Ni-Cad or Nimh, seriously? Forget that and go with lithium-ion or lithium-polymer, at the very least. They don't have memory issues and hold a charge infinitely longer than either of the aforementioned.

KnightWarrior
03-23-2015, 01:53 AM
The more mAh the longer the battery last

Azathoth
03-24-2015, 12:30 PM
I dropped in the local Radio Shack and they had some battery packs out that were apparently old stock and weren't on the shelves the last time I was in there. While the amperage is not the best (only 1400mAh) they will fit both the pill shaped battery pack, the snap on Powerback, and I haven't verified it but they look like they'll fit in the square Nomad battery pack also.

The cells themselves are smaller than the original ones. Rather than having all 6 cells lined up in a 3x2 rectangle they're split into a 1x2 and a 2x2 so they have plenty of room to be adjusted in the battery pack shells.

Best part is they are on clearance, marked down from $25 to $8. They had a few left if anyone needs one.

luney
04-08-2015, 03:41 PM
Batteries Plus sells 4000 mah nimh cells that are direct replacements for the cells in most of these packs. I refurbished a set of Naki Turbo Twins with them and they are fantastic. The fit was tight because the sub-c 4000 mah cells are a tiny bit larger in diameter but I can use the stock AC adapter to charge them and they last about 4 to 5 times as long as the factory nicd cells did. They have 3400 mah cells that are exactly the same size and they will give you 3 to 4 times the play time.