PDA

View Full Version : Majesco Game Gear

isleofthedamned
05-04-2015, 03:34 PM
Anyone else have one? I picked one up the other day for cheap (mostly because the store thought it was a regular GG) and replaced the caps. It's in OK condition and the white point of the screen is slightly yellow while my normal GG white point is more blue. I checked the actual bulb and it looks fine and not yellowed. Overall the colors on my sega brand GG looks slightly better because of this difference. I have no idea if the yellowing is normal or the lcd is damaged with age. The Majesco GG has some motion blur but no where near as bad as the original GG. Sonic on the original is a blurry mess when moving making it hard to see where you are going sometimes. The Majesco fixes this problem. A few years ago, someone on ebay was selling Majesco GG new in box and I kick myself for not buying one (apparently his dad worked at Majesco and somehow ended up with a bunch of unopened units).

Daria
05-04-2015, 04:05 PM
I have both versions, why is there something particularly special about the Majesco release? Besides tinney-speakers and cheaper parts.

isleofthedamned
05-04-2015, 04:53 PM
I have both versions, why is there something particularly special about the Majesco release? Besides tinney-speakers and cheaper parts.

I'm interested in the better non-blurry lcd. The build quality of the one I got seems identical to the regular game gear. I can't comment on the speaker although they both seem similar but I haven't done a direct comparison.

Pixelepsy
05-04-2015, 06:05 PM
I've actually read that the capacitors are better on the majesco, but I don't know how accurate that is. What I do know is that taking the Majesco ones apart is a bitch, those screws are tough to both remove and reinstall, atleast on mine. I can't speak to the original as I don't own one yet.

robotscandance
05-04-2015, 06:40 PM
I had one (sold it to someone on here, actually) and the caps seem to not be an issue, at least not yet. Since I sold that one I've owned about 4-5 Sega made ones and they all were broken to some degree, all some form of cap issues.

The Majesco one had a similar build quality to the Sega ones, with the exception that it still worked perfectly and the screen wasn't a blurry mess.

A Black Falcon
05-22-2015, 02:10 AM
When I got a GG back in 2009 or 2010, I made sure to get a Majesco model because I wanted one with the better screen and better capacitors. Well, it's still working fine, so the capacitors at least are indeed not an issue, which is good. The screen isn't very blurry, either. So yeah, I'd definitely call it the better model, mostly.

segasonicfan
05-22-2015, 05:40 PM
white point of the screen is slightly yellow while my normal GG white point is more blue.

I noticed this too. The Majesco GG Screen does a hue adjustment to improve blur I believe. It is a trade-off and kind of a bad one IMO. However, late Sega brand GGs do the same thing.

I just modded my Majesco GG to fix the many problems it has. This model sucks IMO, but I got one in a trade and thought I'd fix it up. Here's what I found wrong and repaired:
-Contrast dial is receded and MUCH harder to turn. sanded down the case and resoldered to stick out more.
-The actual clear cover was off center (wtf?) You can pry around to unglue it and recenter it.
-The speaker is tinny as hell and I put in an old GG one that sounds better. Also, the speaker is the wrong size and literally falls out when you lift up the GG PCB.

The less blurry screen is nice, but youre better off with a VA5 model (look for a 4 in the second digit of the serial).

Guntz
08-29-2015, 03:47 PM
Okay so 1994 or newer Game Gears are the best? I wonder how much more improved one would be with an LED mod.

KnightWarrior
08-29-2015, 10:49 PM
And with the Majesco GG's you can't play Master System Games or the TV Tuner

A Black Falcon
08-30-2015, 01:15 AM
And with the Majesco GG's you can't play Master System Games or the TV Tuner
The TV tuner is pretty much useless now though, and SMS games on such a small screen can't be nearly as good as on the TV they were designed for, so I don't think I'm missing much, while better caps and less blurring are pretty nice advantages.

Okay so 1994 or newer Game Gears are the best? I wonder how much more improved one would be with an LED mod.

An LED mod would make a big difference in battery life for any model of GG, but it would be pretty interesting to see comparisons between the battery life for a Majesco model with an LED mod, versus a mid/late life Sega model, versus an early-life Sega model. Would they be the same, or not?

Guntz
08-30-2015, 03:10 AM
I currently have an LED modded Game Gear, its year is 1993 and its board revision is VA1 (single ASIC). Does anyone know if this Game Gear is a newer/better revision?