PDA

View Full Version : About to try Willy Beamish again ... tech question

0x15e
08-12-2007, 09:31 PM
Ok, Willy Beamish was one of the first games I ever bought for my Sega CD (I bought it new, twice) but I've never finished it. I always get to one spot, where you have to swing across this kitchen (if I remember right, it's been 10+ years) and about 1/3 of the way across, the game would just completely hang. I went so far as to buy a second copy and it did the same thing too, so I'm pretty sure it was a hardware problem. I even tried deleting my save and playing through again from the start, with the same results.

I was originally playing on a Genesis2+SCD2 (no 32X, they weren't out yet) so I thought it might be a compatibility problem since it was a launch game. I've recently been thinking about giving it another shot, either on my Genesis1+SCD1 or the rom box (modded Xbox), but before I do, I have just one question:

Has anyone ever actually finished this game?

It's quite a bit of playing before you get to that kitchen so if it's going to just hang on me again, I'm not even going to bother with it.

Ash
08-15-2007, 01:42 AM
I have finished the game. althought I had to buy the official game guide in order to do so. I believe I still have it. ;)

cj iwakura
08-21-2007, 12:56 AM
I remember making it as far as the epic tournament at the end. The game's loading times were painful back then.

I imagine they'd drive me insane now.

Oh, and I still own a copy, so I could retry if I felt like it.

The game still has its charms.

Getting a game over for pushing a swing too hard? Only in Willy Beamish.

je2000
01-21-2008, 10:33 AM
Ok, Willy Beamish was one of the first games I ever bought for my Sega CD (I bought it new, twice) but I've never finished it. I always get to one spot, where you have to swing across this kitchen (if I remember right, it's been 10+ years) and about 1/3 of the way across, the game would just completely hang. I went so far as to buy a second copy and it did the same thing too, so I'm pretty sure it was a hardware problem. I even tried deleting my save and playing through again from the start, with the same results.

I was originally playing on a Genesis2+SCD2 (no 32X, they weren't out yet) so I thought it might be a compatibility problem since it was a launch game. I've recently been thinking about giving it another shot, either on my Genesis1+SCD1 or the rom box (modded Xbox), but before I do, I have just one question:

Has anyone ever actually finished this game?

It's quite a bit of playing before you get to that kitchen so if it's going to just hang on me again, I'm not even going to bother with it.

I've never finished it but I had that problem in the same area you did, but with both first gen Sega CD and Genesis

Benjamin
01-22-2008, 07:48 PM
I beat the game, though I ended up calling that hint line to make sure I completed it within my rental period. You know, I think I'll play through that again now since I only vaguely remember the general plot. I wonder if I put my disc in my PC and play through an emulator if that'll remove/help with those atrocious loading times?

je2000
01-23-2008, 08:01 AM
I beat the game, though I ended up calling that hint line to make sure I completed it within my rental period. You know, I think I'll play through that again now since I only vaguely remember the general plot. I wonder if I put my disc in my PC and play through an emulator if that'll remove/help with those atrocious loading times?

Pretty sure it will run a lot faster as your CD drive is much better than a 1x drive. I think the fastest way would be to run it as a virtual drive.

0x15e
01-23-2008, 11:50 AM
je2000: Thanks for confirming this. I'd never heard of anyone besides me having this problem until now. I think my next attempt will be on an emulator, since it's now been confirmed on both hardware revisions.

Pretty sure it will run a lot faster as your CD drive is much better than a 1x drive. I think the fastest way would be to run it as a virtual drive.
You'd be amazed. Playing it on my Xbox, using an ISO instead of the actual disc, it's every bit as slow as on the Sega CD. The problem doesn't seem to be the drive; I really think there must just be some really sloppy code in there causing problems.

Benjamin
01-23-2008, 02:33 PM
You'd be amazed. Playing it on my Xbox, using an ISO instead of the actual disc, it's every bit as slow as on the Sega CD. The problem doesn't seem to be the drive; I really think there must just be some really sloppy code in there causing problems.

Well, that's disappointing. I have a boxed PC version of Willy Beamish around. Maybe I'll play that if it's a disc version with voices.

je2000
01-23-2008, 02:50 PM
Was this the game where you hit start and you got a rotating snake ball thing? What the hell was that thing for?

0x15e
01-23-2008, 04:56 PM
Was this the game where you hit start and you got a rotating snake ball thing? What the hell was that thing for?To keep you entertained during the voice loading. No kidding. I think it was in the manual.

I toyed with the idea of playing the PC version but when I did some reading, it turned out the Sega CD version was vastly improved. I don't think the PC one had any voice acting at all.

je2000
01-23-2008, 09:49 PM
To keep you entertained during the voice loading. No kidding. I think it was in the manual.

I toyed with the idea of playing the PC version but when I did some reading, it turned out the Sega CD version was vastly improved. I don't think the PC one had any voice acting at all.

Looking back, I can see that this game kind of sucks. This is one of those that I used to rent several times, because I kept getting further and further, and the game kept freezing and freezing...

I made it to the frog race...never past that. It's one of those "I need to beat it, just once" kind of things.

MN12BIRD
02-02-2008, 08:12 PM
man this game is a classic. I have it on PC-CDROM with speech. For the longest time I could only find it on Amiga with speech and thought there was no speech version on PC. I rented a SegaCD and this game back in the day and will never forget it!

0x15e
02-03-2008, 10:29 AM
man this game is a classic. I have it on PC-CDROM with speech. For the longest time I could only find it on Amiga with speech and thought there was no speech version on PC.I stand corrected then. I may have to go look for a copy like that.

MN12BIRD
02-03-2008, 11:52 AM
yeah I play it on my P1 with SB16 and there are almost zero load times. The SCD version has its charm but if you could go back and play it with a mouse and no load times I would. I searched forever for a PC version with voice in it and could never find it and one day I found this on a torrent and it works great.