PDA

View Full Version : Dreamcast VGA - Box vs. VGA AV Cable?

The Jackal
12-24-2016, 06:37 PM
Getting conflicting info here. I'm sure the VGA AV cables are shit, going by price comparison to VGA boxes and my own (faulty) memory, but are they, really? Or are they as good as VGA boxes?

I mean I ordered a VGA box to be on the safe side, but it'd be nice if someone/s with the right know-how can tell me the difference, preferably in layman's terms. Thanks. :p

EDIT: Cable's I'm talking about is this one:

https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com/images/I/71VCBWAHlwL._SL1500_.jpg

lumclaw
12-24-2016, 11:02 PM
That type of simple cable has only VGA.
Boxes often add composite / s-video plugs, easier to play non-VGA compatible games.
(it's much rarer to find SCART RGB on a VGA box. The cool yet expensive Toro (http://www.beharbros.com/toro) is one of them.)

The VGA image itself is internally generated by the Dreamcast. No excuse for a 3rd party to get anything wrong.

Azathoth
12-25-2016, 05:38 AM
Boxes often add composite / s-video plugs, easier to play non-VGA compatible games.

This. Basically the boxes have some workarounds to either force VGA mode in games that don't have it or have a 2nd video out easily available if they can't be forced. Those cheaper VGA cables don't have any workarounds, even the old trick of not plugging the cable in until the game completely loads won't work. That means they can't be used at all with some real games, some homebrew games, and the Utopia loaders (or older pirates that require them).

lumclaw
12-25-2016, 08:47 AM
As for being official, Sega's HKT-8100 is the reference design. Several boxes shamelessly clone its features.

The Jackal
12-25-2016, 04:18 PM
Thank you, the both of you. The VGA box I ordered only has S-Video and Composite as alternative outputs, but I think I'm okay with that. Just want to hook all this up and see what it looks like via VGA.

Again, thanks. :)

StuOhQ
01-13-2018, 03:38 AM
I had the Tomee cable and was happy with it until it stopped working. The Hanzo (or other variation) by the Beharbros. will set you straight.

EDIT: If you want in depth benefits, follow the link in my sig and watch my Hanzo VGA episode.

Yharnamresident
01-29-2018, 10:28 AM
Jackal I have those exact cables you posted in the OP. I use them with a VGA-to-HDMI converter. The image quality is flawless, maybe as good as Wii Component(for reference). I'll just get a separate S-video cable for those VGA-incompatible games(which I own none). To answer your first question.

The Jackal
01-29-2018, 01:17 PM
Jackal I have those exact cables you posted in the OP. I use them with a VGA-to-HDMI converter. The image quality is flawless, maybe as good as Wii Component(for reference). I'll just get a separate S-video cable for those VGA-incompatible games(which I own none). To answer your first question.

Thanks bud, but I have a VGA Box now, one of these to be more precise (https://www.amazon.co.uk/Consolegoods-VGA-Adaptor-Dreamcast-PAL/dp/B001AMQ5EM/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1517249673&sr=8-3&keywords=dreamcast+vga). My problem is, my vga-to-hdmi doesn't like my 4k telly (60hz refuses to work [black screen]), so I need to get another.

Yharnamresident
01-29-2018, 02:49 PM
Is it because your VGA-to-HDMI converter doesn't upscale the 480p to HD? I could imagine 480p60 wouldn't be a common resolution in PAL land, but the 4K TV might accept 720p60

The Jackal
01-29-2018, 02:53 PM
No idea, all I know is it's pretty old. Like 2010 old. Could just be incompatible with 4k sets (it ran ok on my old 1080i TV).

gamer888
02-16-2018, 11:26 AM
I have recently purchased this very cable.....it does work without any blinking or whatever on the screen. So I am very satisfied. Of course it "locks" the picture on 4/3 but this is of course for the best. My only negative comment is that the cable seems sensitive and it needs to be firmly plugged.

A VGA nbox might give you more option for the sound and the cables you want to use. But overal this one is good..especially for its price.

TrekkiesUnite118
02-17-2018, 10:31 AM
The only thing I'd point out is that with at least the VGA box I have (The retro bit one I believe), the sound quality through the PC out is awful. Though through the RCA jacks it's fine, and there's no issue using the VGA out and the RCA audio out at the same time. So be sure to try both out and go with what sounds best.

StuOhQ
03-21-2018, 12:27 PM

If you have something like a Hanzo - video included below - you don't need to swap out cables. There's a VGA/RBG switch built in. HDRetrovision is also making a set of cables that will have a switch to serve the same purpose.

https://youtu.be/u4Hld3ewARk

Also, to those questions about TV compatibility, I address the fact that many displays/receivers/capture cards don't care for 480p over HDMI in my video. I also test out two upscaling options, so you can get an idea of what you're in the market for. Hope it's helpful!