PDA

View Full Version : Sound and colour

hadjiquest
08-30-2005, 10:43 PM
The Sega CD added scaling & rotation & improved the sound quality of the Genesis. Did it also improve the colour palette?

__________________________________________________ ___________
Genesis did what Nintendidn't

Mel
08-30-2005, 10:52 PM
The Sega CD added scaling & rotation & improved the sound quality of the Genesis. Did it also improve the colour palette?

OFFICIALLY, no.

Unofficially, yes.

They didn't add anything to the segacd to allow for an improved palete, BUT the extra hardware did provide opportunities for work arounds. See Eternal Champions CD.

j_factor
08-31-2005, 02:10 AM
The same workarounds are possible on a stock Genesis, for the most part. I think Eternal Champions uses some weird memory trick that's exclusively Sega CD, though.

To better answer your question, no, the pallette itself is exactly the same, except that FMV sequences work from their own separate, larger pallette.

Electroman
09-03-2005, 01:38 PM
Wasn't a way to get more onscreen colors out of a system (64 max in this case) was to use very fast assembly code to modulate 2 colors to create a third one? eg: if you need that 'special hue of purple', adjust the duty cycles of available blue and red colors to create it?

I read this somewhere a long time ago.

j_factor
09-03-2005, 01:53 PM
Wasn't a way to get more onscreen colors out of a system (64 max in this case) was to use very fast assembly code to modulate 2 colors to create a third one? eg: if you need that 'special hue of purple', adjust the duty cycles of available blue and red colors to create it?

I read this somewhere a long time ago.

Yes, that's correct.