PDA

View Full Version : Fixing a megadrive control port.

Myrkwood
11-11-2007, 09:19 AM
Okay I have gone through 3 megadrives now (all model 2) and only my 2nd one had good sound and picture quality. My first one had terrible sound quality and color definition. My 2nd one is great in both areas but the 1st controller port acts up. My 3rd one which is a modded one so it'll play in 60hz is bad in both areas but doesn't have as bad sound quality as the first one (but definetely not as good as the 2nd one). I'm not getting a Megadrive 1 because I don't have a scart for one and it costs a bomb for a Mega CD 1 and I already have a model 2 (but not the extension bit for MD 1s). So for the moment I'm thinking of trying to fix the 1st control port on the 2nd Megadrive.

Thing is with it is that when you plug it in all the controls are like permenantly on a turbo like effect (even the d-pad, which makes walking a move then stand still very quickly affair in games like golden axe). If I wiggle it around sometimes it works for a little while then screws up again. Does anyone know what might be wrong and a possible way to fix this? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks for your time.

TmEE
11-11-2007, 11:48 AM
Find a soldering iron, resolder the port pins... or you may have to replace the port...

Joe Redifer
11-11-2007, 01:44 PM
Is this the effect in EVERY game, or just in some? If you are using a 6-button pad, try holding down the MODE when you turn the power on to the system, then release. Still quirky? I could be way off base here, but that's the first thing that jumps in to my head.

Myrkwood
11-11-2007, 02:19 PM
I only have a 3 button controller unfortunately. But anyhoo the effect is different depending on the game. With some games the buttons don't work at all (just the A and B buttons the rest seem to function normally in some games) and some it seems like a turbo effect. I think it's probably because some games don't detect you pressing it down because it fluctuates that quick.

And about the soldering. Is there any tutorials or anything or advice you could give me about soldering it? Replacing the port may be an option considering my 1st megadrive could be potentially used for spare parts.

evildragon
11-11-2007, 02:30 PM
You could just reflow the solder. That's what I did and it worked great. Just touch the tip on the pads, let it flow, and then remove the iron.