PDA

View Full Version : Is Popful Mail worth it?

InternalPrimate
12-11-2007, 07:09 PM
For all my Working Designs love, I have NEVER owned Popful Mail. Lunar? Four times over. Vay? Of course. But for some reason I've never touched Popful Mail.

My local shop is selling a complete copy for $20. Compared to some other deals I've seen, this feels downright cheap. But is it worth it?

Sega-17
12-11-2007, 07:20 PM
It's a cool game. Very enjoyable.

Get it. And if you dont like it, you can sell it for more than you paid (always a bonus).

Joe Redifer
12-11-2007, 07:42 PM
$20? Definitely. Buy it now or I will ban you!

Here is my review of the game (http://www.the-magicbox.com/forums/showthread.php?p=383170#post383170)

tomaitheous
12-11-2007, 08:01 PM
For all my Working Designs love, I have NEVER owned Popful Mail. Lunar? Four times over. Vay? Of course. But for some reason I've never touched Popful Mail.

My local shop is selling a complete copy for $20. Compared to some other deals I've seen, this feels downright cheap. But is it worth it?

It's one of the 4 main reasons to own/buy a SegaCD (Snatcher, Lunar series, Robo Aleste, and Popful Mail)!!!

InternalPrimate
12-11-2007, 08:04 PM
Purchased! Well, kind of. The game's being held for me.

Sega Uranus
12-11-2007, 09:06 PM
It's pretty much a Wonder Boy clone. It's great, but if you don't like Wonder Boy or cheap hits similar to what is found in Symphony of the Night then I would suggest you try it out on an emulator first. Still, for that price even if you don't like it you can sell it for more, depending on the condition of the game of course.

Dirt Ball Gamer
12-11-2007, 11:36 PM
Dude I'll buy it off you! This one has been eluding me for ever.

Zebbe
12-12-2007, 03:52 AM
Great purchase. You will have loads of fun with it.

Scooter
12-12-2007, 09:05 AM
I bought it many years ago at a premium and sold it a few years later and made my money back. If you don't like it, I'd be willing to take it off your hands!

tomaitheous
12-12-2007, 04:09 PM
It's pretty much a Wonder Boy clone. It's great, but if you don't like Wonder Boy or cheap hits similar to what is found in Symphony of the Night then I would suggest you try it out on an emulator first. Still, for that price even if you don't like it you can sell it for more, depending on the condition of the game of course.

Heh- doesn't remind me of Wonder Boy in the least, other than they are both platform games. Completely different games.

Demonic Weasel
12-13-2007, 05:41 PM
Popful Mail has only one real flaw and that's only that the hit detection is sometimes a bit shaky. If you can stand that though...

FoxHound
02-26-2008, 02:20 PM
Never owned it before, Just bought it for 50.00 saw some clip on youtube that made me want it and for collector purposes. Once I finish Shining Force CD I will definatly play it.

EDIT: WOW this Game is alot harder than I thought. Cant just fly though you will Die! quick

GohanX
02-26-2008, 02:45 PM
If I could find my Popful Mail CD I would tell you. I've owned it for years, I finally wanted to sit down and play it. I found the case, the manual, I even have the strategy guide (when did I get this?) but I can't find the damn CD.

tomitomou
03-30-2008, 01:58 PM
YES ! It's truly a great game, looks a lot alike Wonderboy 5, but it's still very enjoyable, and the fmv cut-scenes are terrific, with lots of humour.

Dirt Ball Gamer
04-04-2008, 05:06 AM
Anyone know if the pc engine version is as good as the sega cd version?

JFLY
04-04-2008, 09:29 AM
http://hg101.classicgaming.gamespy.com/popfulmail/popfulmail.htm

Dirt Ball Gamer
04-04-2008, 10:27 PM
Aha, thats cool. I kinda want em both but thats just crazy.

RegalSin
04-06-2008, 03:19 PM
Yes it is worth it if you like Working designs.

Black_Tiger
04-06-2008, 05:35 PM

I like the PC Engine version better, but they're completely different games.

I have yet to finish the japanese Mega-CD version, but I was really turned off by the terrible Working Designs dialogue/acting and cheap difficulty "enhancements" of the Sega-CD version.

If you're a fan of side scrolling adventure games, you should play both.

Dirt Ball Gamer
04-09-2008, 03:00 AM
That settles it im getting both, and then declaring bankruptcy

twoquickcapri
04-10-2008, 02:00 PM
Yes its a great game. Its my favorite Sega CD game and one of my top 10 favorite games.

The PC-Enigne version is almost a direct port of the PC-8801 version. Its alot older and the grafx are not as good as the Sega CD version. But I have never played it only watched videos of it on youtubes. There is also a Super Famicon Version too. I have played it and it just plan suck compared to the Sega CD verion.

Black_Tiger
04-10-2008, 02:42 PM
Yes its a great game. Its my favorite Sega CD game and one of my top 10 favorite games.

The PC-Enigne version is almost a direct port of the PC-8801 version. Its alot older and the grafx are not as good as the Sega CD version. But I have never played it only watched videos of it on youtubes. There is also a Super Famicon Version too. I have played it and it just plan suck compared to the Sega CD verion.

Although the PC Engine version appears to be a straight port content-wise, the tiles were pretty much all redrawn.

The PCE artwork may be simpler in some ways than the Sega-CD, mainly the sprites, but the actual graphics are nicely touched up, clean and use good vibrant colors. Many bg pieces have much more detail in them.

The Sega-CD's bg graphics are often messy and the colors are pretty drab by Genesis standards(even though a high number of colors is displayed at one). The artwork is really nice though and it makes good use of parallax(not just parallax for parallax sake).

The PCE version is basically super deformed while the Sega-CD has a more adult look overal.

Although the PCE version doesn't stream the cinemas like the Sega-CD version, they're still very well animated by cinema standards at the time and again are detailed and colorful. The Sega-CD cinemas are rendered on the fly and are clear unlike fmv, but only use about 16 colors.

The Sega-CD version has little boxes with talking heads during ingame speech. The PCE version uses anime cells that take over part of the screen like Ys I & II & IV.

twoquickcapri
04-12-2008, 11:07 PM
Ok just got done playing Popful Mail for the PCE. Stop right after Slick traps himself in the cave in the second world. And I realized a few things and have a few question.

First I realied that the PCE version is so much easyer then the SCD version. Second my TurboDuo is really thin. Thinner than my LCD TV. Third the game reminds me of Ys a lot.

My first question is what does the last option in the in game option menu do. the one after save. Second why is yes shorter then no in Japanese.

I still think the SCD version looks better. I like the bigger sprites and the more adult look to it. Like you said. And I also like how you use a button to swing the sword better. But It still a good game and was still having much fun playing it even though I could not understand what they are saying in the game.

tomaitheous
04-13-2008, 02:09 AM
Ok just got done playing Popful Mail for the PCE. Stop right after Slick traps himself in the cave in the second world. And I realized a few things and have a few question.

First I realied that the PCE version is so much easyer then the SCD version. Second my TurboDuo is really thin. Thinner than my LCD TV. Third the game reminds me of Ys a lot.

My first question is what does the last option in the in game option menu do. the one after save. Second why is yes shorter then no in Japanese.

I still think the SCD version looks better. I like the bigger sprites and the more adult look to it. Like you said. And I also like how you use a button to swing the sword better. But It still a good game and was still having much fun playing it even though I could not understand what then are saying in the game.

Just a bit of info: the PCE SCD version is a ACD/SCD game - so if you have the arcade card then play it using that. I can't remember what benefit the game has for the using ACD mode is though - heh

Joe Redifer
04-13-2008, 06:48 AM
I think if you use the Arcade Card, you get arcade quality graphics and sound. If you use other cards, you get shitty-ass console graphics and sound. The Arcade Card is for bringing the arcade home.

twoquickcapri
04-13-2008, 11:17 AM
Do they make a Arcade Card for the TurboDuo? I do have a Super Grafx but I dont think my wallet could handle a Super CD-ROM2 and a Arcade Card purchase. Or even a converter/Arcade Card purchase. Why does this stuff cost so much?

tomaitheous
04-13-2008, 02:51 PM
Do they make a Arcade Card for the TurboDuo? I do have a Super Grafx but I dont think my wallet could handle a Super CD-ROM2 and a Arcade Card purchase. Or even a converter/Arcade Card purchase. Why does this stuff cost so much?

If you can get a decent adapter, then that'll work for arcade card on your US duo. Just get the AC Duo version as it's cheaper than the PRO. The Duo version will also work with a Super CDROM2 unit if you ever get one ('cause SGX+SUPER CDROM2 unit is too sexy!). B_T should do some research between running the game in PCE SCD and PCE ACD mode...

Black_Tiger
04-14-2008, 05:22 PM
If you can get a decent adapter, then that'll work for arcade card on your US duo. Just get the AC Duo version as it's cheaper than the PRO. The Duo version will also work with a Super CDROM2 unit if you ever get one ('cause SGX+SUPER CDROM2 unit is too sexy!). B_T should do some research between running the game in PCE SCD and PCE ACD mode...

I was actually trying to compare them a couple weeks ago, but I was pressed for time and the game kept crashing, I'm guessing that it was while in Arcade Card mode.

They looked similar enough that I was going to record footage from both to pick out any differences. Its probably just saves a load here or there.

Many of Falcom's games share similarities with some of their other games. The Legend of Xanadu is LOH Dragon Slayer meets Ys. LOXII plays like an upgraded sequel to Ys I & II with Ys III style boss fights. Ys III is kinda like an Ys themed Popful Mail.

The original japanese Mega-CD Popful Mail is also easier than the Sega-CD version, because only the Sega-CD version was enhanced by Working Designs.

My first question is what does the last option in the in game option menu do. the one after save.

Its basically a tip guide, like in Phantasy Star IV and the PS remake on PS2. The characters discuss what to do next. I've got a walkthrough up on GameFAQs (http://www.gamefaqs.com/console/turbocd/file/563722/12661).

Second why is yes shorter then no in Japanese.

The same reason that yes and no are the same length in French, -its a different language.

myfishbone
04-27-2008, 04:13 AM
popful mail is one of the few best games on the Megacd