PDA

View Full Version : Sega Saturn 50/60hz Switch

The Jackal
03-03-2008, 07:22 AM
I\\\'ve read some guides on how to install a 50/60hz switch to a Saturn, and I\\\'ve decied to give it a go.

Only probs, I love my Saturn and I don\\\'t want to kill it. Can you one suggest any good guides?

I have read the one at Mameworld and mmmonkey if that helps.

EDIT:
I also hear you can add a 50/60hz switch to a 32X. Can so one please post a link to a guide please?

The Jackal
03-05-2008, 07:41 AM
I need help! Please someone help a wayward soul, please? Think of my future children!

TmEE
03-05-2008, 08:29 AM
I would help, but I don't have a Saturn yet, so I haven't looked up any info on it to do the mod...

mick_aka
03-05-2008, 01:36 PM
The mameworld guide, assuming you mean this one:

http://www.mameworld.net/pc2jamma/satmod1.html

is as good as it gets. It's pretty concise and easy to follow.

If you are looking for an 'idiots guide' the you're out of luck, if your totally inept with this sort of thing for gods sake get someone who isnt to do it for you.

tomhoneyfield
07-01-2008, 09:30 AM
The Jackal, if it makes you feel any better I was a complete soldering novice apart from an F in electronics at GCSE (where i failed because I didn't do anything) and I still managed to install the 50/60hz switch on my model 2 64 pin saturn.

From what I remember the proceedure can be different for different types of saturn so main advice check to make sure you know exactly what model saturn you have before deciding to go ahead.

I completely murdered my saturn mother board doing that mod. It looked like I'd just got a sharp object and hacked away at the thing so I really couldn't believe it when I put the thing back together and it worked.

Biggest problem for me was the size of the tracks. Tiny tiny little tracks and pins. You need a thin soldering iron, lots of light, good eyesight or glasses, a steady hand and a fuckin sense of humour if you are gonna give it a blast.

retrospiel
07-01-2008, 10:17 AM
A bit OT but Rob Webb is selling Modchips to play backups, and also offers chipped Japanese Saturns:
http://home.clara.net/robwebb/shop/saturn/saturnhard.htm

mick_aka
07-01-2008, 12:26 PM
I've linked to him in several threads here, he is a long stnading friend of my site and has a link off our homepage.

I have his mod chips installed in two of my Saturns, never had any problems.