PDA

View Full Version : Why are the Model 1 units hard to find?

David J.
11-28-2005, 10:28 PM
I've only seen one in my entire life. I want one for my model 1 Genesis, and a Genesis 2 for my Model 2 SCD. :(

I almost got a Model 1 for free. a couple years back.... But it was fux0red.

Here's what was wrong with it. The CD drive wouldn't open, pressing reset did nothing. We pryed it open with out breaking it, and putting a game in, and it did nothing again. He made me a deal: fix it and it's yours. We spent a good afternoon fixing it, but it died in vain. We later took a look at it, but it was even worse.

I should of took a picture! Nothing more grand than two friends sitting at a table in the kitchen looking at the insides of a Sega console, drinking some orange soda.

There goes one rare sega machine to sega heaven. :(

Dartagnan1083
11-28-2005, 11:51 PM
I strongly prefer to connect the model 1 genny with the model 2 Sega CD. It just looks better.

My old Model 1 SCD broke down on me. It just would not read the discs. . .
stupid freaking machine.

The CDX on the other hasn't failed me yet.

Melf
12-01-2005, 12:50 PM
I've had both a refurbished model 2 Genny and Sega CD since 1996 and they both work like a dream, yet I constantly hear about model 1 units breaking down.

I'd kill for a modded CDX though. Awesome little system.

Elusive
12-01-2005, 02:26 PM
The CDX isn't really that hard to mod as regarding PAL/NTSC and Overseas/Japanese switches. It's just a matter of getting the thing open and doing what you would with a Genesis model 2. I imagine the same principle would apply to the Sega CD part for adding a multiBIOS - finding the BIOS chip, and installing a new one on top or outside the case.

The Model 1 is old, really. There are very few eject tray-loading systems still working, anyway. That's why the Mega-CD model 2 can still function - no motor to wear out, no fan belt to break. A small motor to spin the disc won't take that much of a pounding.

David J.
12-01-2005, 02:40 PM
How common are the Model 2 MCD's in europe actually? I thought the SCD was nearly dead by then, thus I thought they where rather rare. :?

You can still buy a Japanese Model 2 one at a few places. Now why didn't it come with a AC adaptor?!

winona
12-01-2005, 06:25 PM
They are quite common. I think Sega sold more Mod 2 Mega Drives in Europe than Mod 1.

David J.
12-01-2005, 06:41 PM
I was wondering about Mega CD units too!

winona
12-02-2005, 07:17 AM
Um yes, I meant Mega CD units. Allthough it prolly wasnt all that clear.

Elusive
12-03-2005, 03:53 PM
The Mega-CD 2 was the most popular because in some regions it was the only model available - Spain, for instance, only got the model 2. Hence, model 2s aren't really that hard to find. Plus, they've only got one moving part (the CD motor assembly), as opposed to the model 1's two moving parts (CD door and motor assembly).

As a side note, I think the only difference between Sega's power adapters is the shape of the plug. An American power plug should power a Japanese Mega-CD console, for example. I think. =P

burnt toast
12-12-2005, 05:35 AM
i've got a model one mega cd i got off ebay as a sold as seen because he didnt have the adaptor for it. when i plucked up the courage to run it on 12volts (i think sega must of been the only company to have used 10v power supplies, which is an odd voltage to use) it worked fine, and i had the arcade classics cd in there.

the connectors are standard ones, you will just need an AC-DC apdaptor, so i dont see any reason why you couldnt power any of the megadrive family with an adaptor. its only internal power supplies that you are in danger of frying with 110/220 voltage differences. as elusive said.

provided you set the adaptor to the right DC voltage and polarity of course.

i havent used my mega cd all that much but it hasnt shown any signs of complaining when ive used it. ive had it about a year and a half maybe?

Joe Redifer
12-31-2005, 07:21 AM
I bought a model 1 Sega CD system at launch and it has worked flawlessly ever since. I really hate the music that plays when it is powered up. It does not need music! The Japanese Mega CD music and intro was much better.

j_factor
12-31-2005, 04:34 PM
NEC used 10v power supplies too.

segagamer
01-06-2006, 02:50 PM
I agree with Joe Redifer; yet another instance of needless changes from Japanese to American version.

lordofduct
01-06-2006, 03:03 PM
i've got a model one mega cd i got off ebay as a sold as seen because he didnt have the adaptor for it. when i plucked up the courage to run it on 12volts (i think sega must of been the only company to have used 10v power supplies, which is an odd voltage to use) it worked fine, and i had the arcade classics cd in there.

Yet it may work... I wouldn't advise continually doing that. It is going to heat up a lot and could possibly fry little parts on your SCD. A minor voltage change in DC is a big difference for that electrical parts... it's not like AC where it can fluctuate 20 or 30 volts (the US 110 is actually a fluctuating 95 - 130... and sometimes peaks even higher... that is why they advise using capacitors with your high end sound systems and the sort.) it is just the pay off you suffer due to the way 'alternating' current is made. Upside to alternating current is it is not as deadly in high voltages as DC would be. (still deadly though... heh)

Anyways... 12v on a 10v machine will hurt it over time. And the fuses aren't good enough to notice the pain its causing... to close in range for them to notice. It is actually how I fryed my first GameGear (I was young, didn't know any better).

Anyways, I don't know... I've seen more Model 1's. I've owned about 5 of them. I still have the original and it works freaking awesome. I've had a few hiccups here and there caused by immature family members beating on my machines (ugh, they'd get so ticked when I'd come in upset about my broken Sega... they'd act like what kind of nerve I had to get upset. heh.)

All my friends owned model 1's... except 2, the only 2 model 2's I've ever seen where my friend Keith's and Pate's.

Joe Redifer
01-06-2006, 03:07 PM
I agree with Joe Redifer; yet another instance of needless changes from Japanese to American version.

They also took some LED's away from us US gamers. I want to know what those extra LEDs did on the Japanese unit. I want to see them blink on my Sega CD!

Joe Redifer
01-09-2006, 06:21 AM
Today I stopped at Savers (a thrift store) and found a used model 1 Sega CD attached to a model 1 Genesis! $6.50. It didn't come with controllers, power cords or anything like that, but the unit works perfectly! I think it'll make a good back-up in case my launch unit model 1 Sega CD ever decides to fail. Man $6.50. Pretty good find! There was also a lone Genesis 2 without cords for $6.50. I didn't buy that because I don't like the Genesis 2.

Melf
01-12-2006, 01:14 AM
Holy crap! Both consoles for less than$7? That's a score and a half. Great find man!

AlecRob
03-22-2012, 08:44 PM
Even though the model one CD's seem to be more fragile, at least the frequently failing parts seem to be easily replaceable for the most part, especially the belt.

ItellYaHuat
03-22-2012, 09:00 PM
Today I stopped at Savers (a thrift store) and found a used model 1 Sega CD attached to a model 1 Genesis! $6.50. It didn't come with controllers, power cords or anything like that, but the unit works perfectly! I think it'll make a good back-up in case my launch unit model 1 Sega CD ever decides to fail. Man $6.50. Pretty good find! There was also a lone Genesis 2 without cords for $6.50. I didn't buy that because I don't like the Genesis 2.

If that isn't the deal of the century, I don't know what is (even if it was 6 years ago).

Aarzak
03-22-2012, 10:53 PM
Model 1's were produced for a relatively short time (not even a year in the U.S) before they were discontinued in favor of Model 2's beginning in April 1993.

A Black Falcon
03-23-2012, 12:19 AM
If that isn't the deal of the century, I don't know what is (even if it was 6 years ago).
I got my Sega CD for $5 from a local pawnshop in June 2006. Model 2 Sega CD, with a power supply, the Genesis 1 adapter block and metal piece (not sure if I still have this... maybe? I don't have a working Genesis 1 so I don't use it), and a Genesis 1. No controllers or second power cord. It was all untested though. The Genesis never worked, but the Sega CD works fine to this day... yeah, I was lucky.

Model 1's were produced for a relatively short time (not even a year in the U.S) before they were discontinued in favor of Model 2's beginning in April 1993.
Yeah, that's the reason for sure. The model 2 was sold for longer, and at a lower price, so more people bought it.

dbtmellis
03-23-2012, 01:21 AM
I got both a model 1 Genesis and Sega CD on craiglist for free. A guy was cleaing out his garage, and wanted to "get rid of it".

it was DOA. RIP little Guy.

Tried to get it fixed, but to no avail. I sold it on ebay for "parts and/or not working" for $20. Sold within 24 hours of my posting.

Assman
03-23-2012, 02:25 AM
I got both a model 1 Genesis and Sega CD on craiglist for free. A guy was cleaing out his garage, and wanted to "get rid of it".

it was DOA. RIP little Guy.

Tried to get it fixed, but to no avail. I sold it on ebay for "parts and/or not working" for $20. Sold within 24 hours of my posting.

You put it up as a Buy It Now? Dude, I've seen non-working/as-is model 1s sell for like $40-50 in auctions.

GohanX
03-23-2012, 10:17 AM
I feel fortunate. I walked into a game store around 2001 or so when you couldn't give Genesis stuff away and saw a unit that had a model 2 genny, 32x, and model 1 Sega CD together for 30 bucks. I tried to get the owner to sell me the CD unit for less money, but he wouldn't budge since nobody would buy a Genny 2. So, I parted with the $30...

This was the same place that I also picked up an unwanted X'Eye for $30, and a CDX for $30 (indirectly.)

xelement5x
03-23-2012, 12:26 PM
I tried to get the owner to sell me the CD unit for less money, but he wouldn't budge since nobody would buy a Genny 2. So, I parted with the $30...

That's so true, I must have like a dozen model 2 units sitting around my house that I got in lots and I see them go up on Craigslist and just sit there for weeks on end. You need that extra hook like some good games or CD unit to even move them.

bultje112
03-30-2012, 09:30 AM
I bought a model 1 Sega CD system at launch and it has worked flawlessly ever since. I really hate the music that plays when it is powered up. It does not need music! The Japanese Mega CD music and intro was much better.

I love the pal sega cd intro more than japanese and us. gives me a warm feeling :)

tz101
03-31-2012, 12:10 PM
Along with being produced for a shorter time span than model 2's, were the model 1's also not just more prone to hardware failure since there were more moving mechanisms? The drawer slider mechanism went out on many. I equate it to Sony going to a simple flip-up lid design on the PS2 slim consoles over the original PS2 design. Those slider drawers not only had a separate electronic motor, but plastic gears and such that failed over time.

Makes me wonder about current gen consoles and the mechanism that sucks the disc into the console and ejects it. I would think the simpler mechanism would be a flip-up lid design even on these consoles.

Chibisteven
03-31-2012, 04:37 PM
Along with being produced for a shorter time span than model 2's, were the model 1's also not just more prone to hardware failure since there were more moving mechanisms? The drawer slider mechanism went out on many. I equate it to Sony going to a simple flip-up lid design on the PS2 slim consoles over the original PS2 design. Those slider drawers not only had a separate electronic motor, but plastic gears and such that failed over time.

Makes me wonder about current gen consoles and the mechanism that sucks the disc into the console and ejects it. I would think the simpler mechanism would be a flip-up lid design even on these consoles.

I see it alot on Car stereos. They suck in discs like alot of current gen consoles. Good luck getting a drive tooken apart in a some OEM car stereoes. My brother learned that the hardway after replace his. He left the disc in there and actually fried the whole unit taking it out. He could never get the disc out. You couldn't smash it open or take it apart as the screws were like weilded in there.

evilevoix
03-31-2012, 05:19 PM
I am looking for a model 1 Sega CD, mine just died :(

David J.
04-01-2012, 09:54 PM
It's funny, shortly after I posted this thread, maybe less than six months later I actually got a Model 1 console. Barely used it, maybe six times since I bought it about six years ago?

tz101
04-02-2012, 11:29 AM
So, you are saying that after lamenting the fact that model 1's are hard to find, you are not really interested in playing it after all? It happens, especially with systems that a person has never had before, if the games are just not the genre or style that the player prefers.

bultje112
04-03-2012, 02:03 PM
It's funny, shortly after I posted this thread, maybe less than six months later I actually got a Model 1 console. Barely used it, maybe six times since I bought it about six years ago?

then why did you get it

Oerg866
04-03-2012, 02:28 PM
Anyways... 12v on a 10v machine will hurt it over time. And the fuses aren't good enough to notice the pain its causing... to close in range for them to notice. It is actually how I fryed my first GameGear (I was young, didn't know any better).

er, not really, in this context. The 7805 has a maximum Vin of .... 19V? Something like that, anyway.

Lastcallhall
04-03-2012, 02:41 PM
er, not really, in this context. The 7805 has a maximum Vin of .... 19V? Something like that, anyway.

That doesn't mean you should run 19VDC into it... there's a shitton of heat being given off and that in and of itself could damage other components in the process. I suppose you could put two 78xx regulators in series and step them down incrementally, but I still would't chance it.

I wouldn't push 12VDC into my poor Sega CD, just sayin'...

RampagingRex
04-05-2012, 09:55 PM
I've had my Model 1 Sega CD for a few years now, and it works great. I got kind of lucky with this one, though. I spent 3 years searching for one on Ebay (not the best place to look, I know), and I eventually got one with BOTH metal plates, the screw for the plates, and a few games for $35. Unfortunately, the AC adapter the guy included was the wrong one, and the fuse was blown. I replaced the fuse and bought a new (original) power adapter for it, and it works great. I've used the mixing cable and stereo cables to get sound out of it, and I've since added the 32X. It looks pretty awesome. Even the CD drawer opens and closes perfectly. So keep searching. There's a Model 1 out there for you as well. It just might take a little effort to get it up and running.

Hidden_Darkness
04-13-2012, 07:18 PM
I got a model 1 from ebay around 2004 for $40. it played great for a while but now the cd tray has trouble closing and will not stay closed even with a game in the cd tray.

AlecRob
04-14-2012, 12:52 AM
When the model 2 came out, was the model 1 discontinued immediately? or was there some overlap between the two models?
I got my model 1 for $60 from another user here on this forum. It's currently my only Sega CD but I hope to own a X'Eye some day.

Hidden_Darkness
04-14-2012, 01:08 AM
When the model 2 came out, was the model 1 discontinued immediately? or was there some overlap between the two models?
I got my model 1 for $60 from another user here on this forum. It's currently my only Sega CD but I hope to own a X'Eye some day.

I think the model 1 was only made 1 year at the most, maybe even less but it was in production for a very short time before being replaced with the model 2.

grimm
04-25-2012, 07:49 AM
They also took some LED's away from us US gamers. I want to know what those extra LEDs did on the Japanese unit. I want to see them blink on my Sega CD!

Actually, i believe those are just stickers explaining the LED functions. Could be wrong but im pretty certain.

As for my own sega cd, i got it here on the sales forum, about a year ago for 80 + shipping. I was third in line and thankfully the other two backed out. Came with metal plates, screw, and in good cosmetic condition. It does sometimes make a weird noise when the gears engage, but it seems to happen less and less. It even survived the shipping from US to me here in Sweden. The guy helped me get some other stuff i needed for it, it was a good deal.

I dont really care for the model 2 sega/mega cd, so that was never an option, i also like the more minimalistic style of the front of the Sega CD, compared to Mega cd's of japan and europe. And since i plan to have this one region free'd anyway, it doesnt really matter that its US-ntsc only at the moment. Besides, the games i want usually end up costing me much less to import, than to find a Pal version of anyway. As for rarity, it does show up way less than the model 2 in my experience.

tz101
04-25-2012, 09:12 AM

I think the model 1 was only made 1 year at the most, maybe even less but it was in production for a very short time before being replaced with the model 2.

You see it in consumer products all the time where the manufacturer realizes their original design was flawed, only they do not want to admit fault for fear of class action lawsuits or recalls, so they roll out a "new and improved model" without any big announcements. My guess is that Sega realized that the drawer mechanisms were just another mechanical device prone to failure, and they actually had to repair oodles of them under warranty claims, so they came out with the simpler flip-up lid design of the model 2 CD unit. In mechanical engineering, simpler is always preferred over more complex designs, especially for repair reasons. Cases like this sometimes lead to product recalls by the manufacturer, but by refusing to admit any faults or defects with the original design, manufacturers try to save the monetary costs that would be incurred. Kind of like, "silence is golden".

Cholkavich
04-25-2012, 05:05 PM
i managed to score a broken one on ebay for 30 bucks. It took me a while but i managed to fix it, it was the fuse aswell as the disc tray mechanism. then a month later i scored a sega genesis lot off ebay for 30 bucks and stuck to the model 1 genesis was the baseplate and screws!

Aarzak
04-25-2012, 05:32 PM

Nah, I think the Model 1 was discontinued months before the Model 2 started rolling out in the U.S (June/July 1993), but Sega was able to get by until then because the SCD was selling slowly and they still had stock to subside with. Japan debuted the Model 2 Mega Drive and Mega CD in April 1993, so I'm assuming worldwide production of both Model 1's stopped by then.

Awesome sig by the way. Your company sure made some disgusting products with those poor Mudokons. :D

AlecRob
04-25-2012, 10:50 PM
Awesome avatar by the way. Your company sure made some disgusting products with those poor Mudokons. :D

Thanks!

EclecticGroove
04-26-2012, 08:11 PM
I actually found my model 1 in a flea market, was busted to hell but sega actually was nice enough to fix it up for me. Although I'm sure they actually just sent a replacement. I didn't make note of the serial number as this was over a decade ago, so I have no way of knowing if it was the same or not. But both were model 1's.

David J.
04-26-2012, 08:46 PM
I've barely used them due to real life...also, hey it was ironic I said they were hard to find and managed to get one. Funny how that works out, eh?

That and it looks nice on the shelf!