PDA

View Full Version : CD-X and JP carts

Jason Allen
12-10-2005, 02:07 AM
Will a CD-x play Japanese Mega Drive carts?

Melf
12-10-2005, 11:52 AM
Not without a converter or a switchmod, I think.

j_factor
12-10-2005, 06:39 PM
I don't think so, but an X'Eye will.

Jason Allen
12-10-2005, 09:44 PM
Gotcha. Thanks. I didn't really want to widen the Cart slot on my lovely CD-X. It's such a spiffy looking machine, and I would hate to do the surgery for a MD cart to fit in the system.

atm55
12-10-2005, 11:54 PM
X'Eye won't play all imports, it can fit them in the slot but there is still a region lockout on some games.

j_factor
12-11-2005, 12:49 AM
X'Eye won't play all imports, it can fit them in the slot but there is still a region lockout on some games.

I figured that went without saying, but yes, this is true. The number of games with this region lockout is pretty small though, as they only started doing it in 1994. If you're in the US, it's really not all that significant, because the number of Japanese MD releases in that time period is pretty small, and the number of them that weren't released in the US is tiny. Saturn came out in Japan in November '94 and was successful, while Mega Drive was not -- so they had no interest in releasing a bunch of MD games there anymore (Vectorman didn't even come out in Japan).

Except for Alien Soldier, I can't think of any import-only Mega Drive carts from that time period worth getting. And unlike, say, Saturn, you're not going to be getting the import version of a game released here unless you're a sadistic collector, because almost all G/MD games are less common and more expensive for the Japanese version.

Dartagnan1083
12-11-2005, 03:40 AM
Except for Alien Soldier, I can't think of any import-only Mega Drive carts from that time period worth getting.

Monster World IV. . .

Bastard :P

atm55
12-11-2005, 11:30 AM

I figured that went without saying, but yes, this is true. The number of games with this region lockout is pretty small though, as they only started doing it in 1994. If you're in the US, it's really not all that significant, because the number of Japanese MD releases in that time period is pretty small, and the number of them that weren't released in the US is tiny. Saturn came out in Japan in November '94 and was successful, while Mega Drive was not -- so they had no interest in releasing a bunch of MD games there anymore (Vectorman didn't even come out in Japan).

Except for Alien Soldier, I can't think of any import-only Mega Drive carts from that time period worth getting. And unlike, say, Saturn, you're not going to be getting the import version of a game released here unless you're a sadistic collector, because almost all G/MD games are less common and more expensive for the Japanese version.

Was Vectorman not released for Genesis or just not released at all? I though it was available for Saturn in Japan....

David J.
12-11-2005, 05:00 PM
I don't think Vectorman was released in Japan... And it surely wasn't on the saturn, but that'd own.

j_factor
12-11-2005, 07:31 PM
Vectorman was not released in Japan, and certainly didn't come out on Saturn.

winona
12-12-2005, 05:46 AM
Except for Alien Soldier, I can't think of any import-only Mega Drive carts from that time period worth getting.

Monster World IV. . .

Bastard :P

I think that game was supposed to be released in Europe. But for some reason they decided against it. Too bad. The game still says thats its only playable using a japanese NTSC or on a French system when using it with a Genesis. Works fine without a converter on any european Mega Drive if you have a wide slot.