PDA

View Full Version : Best executed genre

Demonic Weasel
01-26-2006, 04:37 PM
So yeah, I'm wondering what you think about this system in terms of genre. Overall I think it was pretty good, although it suffered a bit from so many straight ports. And what do you think the best executed genre for this system was?

Personally I'd go for RPG's, mostly because I can't think of a single RPG on the system that I've played that I would classify even as mediocre.

Elusive
01-26-2006, 06:23 PM
I don't think there can be a single defining genre for the Mega-CD - whilst you can with some degree of accuracy say 'Mega Drive = action', 'SNES = RPG' ad nauseum, there were a load of different genres spread across the library. Excellent shmups (Silpheed), platformers (Sonic CD, Wonder Dog), RPGs (Shining Force), and so on.

Demonic Weasel
01-26-2006, 08:05 PM
True, but all consoles are generalized to a degree. And I'm asking you to generalize this one. To a degree.

j_factor
01-26-2006, 09:05 PM
I'd say the "vehicular shooters" like Battlecorps, Stellar Fire, Soul Star, etc. -- they were the most impressive games for Sega CD IMO.

Maybe the adventure games like Willy Beamish and Rise of the Dragon.. they were pretty rad too.

Dartagnan1083
01-26-2006, 10:27 PM
If I had to generalize the Sega CD, I'd have to go with crappy FMV, or FMV-ified Genesis ports.

other than that, I'd have to say that the SCD library was very spread out.
But my favorite genres on the machine were Vehicular shooters and RPGs.

Flash1087
01-27-2006, 12:27 AM
I would unfortunately have to say FMV games too, because I've noticed when you mention the Sega CD, most people think about Night Trap or Ground Zero, Texas, and not anything worth playing. FMVs certainly aren't the best executed genre, but likely the one most remembered.

Mendicant
02-07-2006, 03:16 AM
Tough call...

RPGs Mail utilized the massive storage capacities of the CD ROM as a medium, and to that extent, it can be said that they were the best executed genere.

Some Shooters & Platformers utilized the hardware scaling & rotation capacities of the SEGA CD.

But then again, IMHO RPGs answered the "What can a CD do that a Cart can't?" question better than any other genere.

Whether for better or for worse, the defining genere for the SCD seems to be FMV games, and FMV-fied Genesis games.

Demonic Weasel
02-07-2006, 10:59 AM
The problem with the FMV games is that they were made specifically to appeal to the masses. The fact that they were half-assed and failed at their intent is really a side issue.

FMV may always be the best remembered genre for the Sega CD as it was the most advertised overall, but those who actually took the time to see what was there to try have a much better idea. FMV was in no way the best executed, it was just the most hyped.

So I still have to stick with RPG's. Of course, Working Designs made some of their most famous RPG's for the system, and for a little while anyway it was enough to shut up your snide Nintendo fanboy friends.

Besides Lunar and Popful Mail though, there were other great RPG's too. SFCD was a great installment in the series, although the fact that there was no town-wandering hurt it, and it was a breath of the strategy genre on the system.

Overall none of the RPG's on the system were mediocre or bad. Although FMV may be the most remembered genre on the Sega CD because of all the hype it was given,and even despite the fact that Lunar is now famous, more so than because it is, RPG's were the best-executed genre.