PDA

View Full Version : Are we ever going to see a REAL gamegear clone?

Jasper061992
11-26-2009, 04:08 PM
Well, i kinda stated my opinion on this in another thread, but i decided to make a thread dedicated to this.

Are we ever going to see a Gamegear clone? One with a Cart slot. Those PlayPal ones to me don't really count as they lack cartridge slots and only contain like what, 20 games? All the real gamegears are approaching 15-20yrs and they are starting to break down. And Sega's decision to use cheap caps in them really did decrease their useful lifespans.

Heck, i've been through 4 Gamegears and the 4th one is just about holding on. It's screen has reduced brightness but surprisingly the sound still works. The other 3 are nearly completely dead.

While i think the GG is a great handheld, the system itself pretty much ruins it. It drains batteries in hours, it's screen is a blurry mess (good for it's time i guess), sound that stops working after years. Just poor reliability.

Will any company? ever bring a new clone with a TFT screen, rechargable batteries and dual speakers that never ceases to work after some years? Heck, even Atgames that makes all those "firecore" Mega Drives could give it a go, with a cart slot!

havok666
11-26-2009, 07:34 PM
I would rather see Nintendo offer a virtual portable service through the DSi shop. The Game Gear hardware is just too unreliable to even bother with.

Baloo
11-26-2009, 07:42 PM
What about the Majesco game gear? :p

Mr. Ksoft
11-26-2009, 07:53 PM
Majesco unit is still freaking huge, and still uses a ton of batteries. Maybe it doesn't have cap problems or anything (does it?), but it's still just as inconvenient to play.

I would be one of the first in line for a GG clone, because I like the GG but regret not paying it a lot of attention because I'm not really a fan of the way the hardware feels in my hand (and having to be tethered to the wall to save batteries)

Jeckidy
11-26-2009, 08:14 PM
The GG is the only Sega system I have that I don't play as often because of its technical issues. The screen is hideous. When I first had one years ago it seemed allright, but looking at it now it is just too unbearable. Good games, but awful screen. And I use my PICO/32X AC to power it, not batteries. A GG clone that can best it would be nice though. Where's TecToy when you need them?

17daysolderthannes
11-27-2009, 12:29 AM
I would rather see Nintendo offer a virtual portable service through the DSi shop. The Game Gear hardware is just too unreliable to even bother with.

what? what are you talking about? The Game Gear hardware is unreliable because of the specific parts (capacitors, to be more specific) Sega used in its construction. A clone system wouldn't share a single component with an original Game Gear. That's like saying a 2009 Ford F-150 won't be reliable because a 1990 Ford F-150 wasn't, it's two totally different vehicles, they just have the same name.

In fact, Game Gear games are probably more durable than almost anything else out there. They are extremely simple, consisting of just a ROM chip and traces to the cartridge edge. That's all. I wouldn't doubt that Game Gear games will be around and functional long after the console cartridges' capacitors have corroded to death.

If there is one system that needs a clone makeover, it's the Game Gear, no question. Better screen+longer batter life+smaller size=win. The only reason I don't particularly care to push it personally is because, like I mentioned in the other thread, SMS/GG emulation is one of the most accurate and most compatible of any system out there thanks to its simple construction and use of all off the shelf parts. Therefore, I don't really need a Game Gear clone when I can play it on my PSP, XBOX, PC, Dreamcast, etc. etc. in near 100% accuracy.

Jasper061992
11-27-2009, 08:11 AM
what? what are you talking about? The Game Gear hardware is unreliable because of the specific parts (capacitors, to be more specific) Sega used in its construction. A clone system wouldn't share a single component with an original Game Gear. That's like saying a 2009 Ford F-150 won't be reliable because a 1990 Ford F-150 wasn't, it's two totally different vehicles, they just have the same name.

In fact, Game Gear games are probably more durable than almost anything else out there. They are extremely simple, consisting of just a ROM chip and traces to the cartridge edge. That's all. I wouldn't doubt that Game Gear games will be around and functional long after the console cartridges' capacitors have corroded to death.

If there is one system that needs a clone makeover, it's the Game Gear, no question. Better screen+longer batter life+smaller size=win. The only reason I don't particularly care to push it personally is because, like I mentioned in the other thread, SMS/GG emulation is one of the most accurate and most compatible of any system out there thanks to its simple construction and use of all off the shelf parts. Therefore, I don't really need a Game Gear clone when I can play it on my PSP, XBOX, PC, Dreamcast, etc. etc. in near 100% accuracy.

QFT, but it would still be nice to see a real clone that takes real cartridges though. ;)

Deo
11-27-2009, 12:13 PM
Yes it would be very nice to a good GG clone, even if it has crappy sound.

Jasper061992
11-27-2009, 01:42 PM
Yes it would be very nice to a good GG clone, even if it has crappy sound.

Well the Gamegear didn't have complex sound to begin with, so even if the tones sounded off, it would still sound like a gamegear. I think the Gamegear's sound chip is easier to emulate anyway.

havok666
11-27-2009, 05:40 PM

Chill out, take a breath, relax... no need to get all defensive and jump down my throat.

I'm sorry I should have been more clear, or you misinterpreted my post.

I was referring to the Game Gear itself not a clone system in regards to the unreliability of the hardware (I am aware that clone systems use different hardware Mr. mechanical Engineer)

Personally I don't bother with the Game Gear, I've owned one since the early 90's but I don't use it because the capacitors are deteriorating, it eats batteries, and it's too uncomfortable to play on for long periods of time. So, I'm not interested in a clone system that plays actual cartridges. It is hard to find complete Game Gear games in good condition and I don't like collecting a bunch of loose carts. I would be more interested in a digital distribution platform through the DSi shop.

doomguy
11-27-2009, 06:02 PM
my favourate thing about the gamegear is how large and comfortable it is =) i was given mine in the early 2000s when i was a little kid its been dropped down stairs thrown around and when i found it up the loft it was scratchet to bits and full of sand. all it needed was some screen scratch removing magic it still works perfectly apart from the over used even more blurry that average gamegear screen. but that just shows how much ive played it hell even the sounds works perfectly. for my fav handheld ever im tied between it and the psp