PDA

View Full Version : SMS games with the Genesis controller

Eric83
01-11-2010, 08:09 PM
Every Sega Master System game is compatible on the Genesis with a "Power Base Converter" except F-16 Fighting Falcon. Correct? But some games don't support the 3 button Genesis controller. You have to use the original SMS controller.

Are these the only SMS games that don't work with the Genesis controller?

Alien Syndrome
Bomber Raid
Great Volleyball
Montezuma's Revenge
Penguin Land
Shanghai
Tennis Ace
Where in the World is Carmen San Diego
Wonder Boy in Monster Land

How well do the rest of the SMS games work with the 6-button controller?

Also has anybody made any rom patches to fix the controller support for the above games?

Now that I'm thinking about it I wonder if a generic patch or program could be made to patch all SMS games to support the Genesis "start" button as a pause button. That'd be nice, but since I don't know the first thing about rom hacking I don't know if that would even be possible.

Jesse813
01-11-2010, 08:27 PM
Every Sega Master System game is compatible on the Genesis with a "Power Base Converter" except F-16 Fighting Falcon. Correct? But some games don't support the 3 button Genesis controller. You have to use the original SMS controller.

Are these the only SMS games that don't work with the Genesis controller?

Alien Syndrome
Bomber Raid
Great Volleyball
Montezuma's Revenge
Penguin Land
Shanghai
Tennis Ace
Where in the World is Carmen San Diego
Wonder Boy in Monster Land

How well do the rest of the SMS games work with the 6-button controller?

Also has anybody made any rom patches to fix the controller support for the above games?

Now that I'm thinking about it I wonder if a generic patch or program could be made to patch all SMS games to support the Genesis "start" button as a pause button. That'd be nice, but since I don't know the first thing about rom hacking I don't know if that would even be possible.

Just Open up the controller clip the gray wire and those games you listed will work w/ a Genesis controller

Eric83
01-11-2010, 08:32 PM
Just Open up the controller clip the gray wire and those games you listed will work w/ a Genesis controller

Really it's that simple? What does that do to the Genesis controller? Can I still use it with Genesis games?

Jesse813
01-11-2010, 08:49 PM
I wouldn't use it for genesis games, and I'm guessing it doesn't work with them, but I've never tried my ;)sacrificial 3 Button Pad;) w/ any genesis games

Eric83
01-11-2010, 09:19 PM
I wouldn't use it for genesis games, and I'm guessing it doesn't work with them, but I've never tried my ;)sacrificial 3 Button Pad;) w/ any genesis games

I'm guessing this only works with the 3 button not the 6 button? I have a spare semi-functional 6 button pad I'd be willing to sacrifice.

Jesse813
01-11-2010, 09:28 PM
it should work also w/ the 6 button pad, i just chose to use a 3 button pad.

Chilly Willy
01-11-2010, 09:35 PM
What you're cutting is the select line. Without it, the controller only ever returns S, A, and the dpad. All the other buttons are read by toggling the select line - in the case of a 6 button pad, a lot of toggling. :)

Eric83
01-11-2010, 09:57 PM
it should work also w/ the 6 button pad, i just chose to use a 3 button pad.

Good, the next time I come across one of those games I'll sacrifice my controller and try it out.

What you're cutting is the select line. Without it, the controller only ever returns S, A, and the dpad. All the other buttons are read by toggling the select line - in the case of a 6 button pad, a lot of toggling. :)

Wait I thought with the Genesis controller

B=SMS Button 1
C=SMS Button 2

So if I did this I'd have to use Start and A instead?

Chilly Willy
01-11-2010, 10:51 PM
Wait I thought with the Genesis controller

B=SMS Button 1
C=SMS Button 2

So if I did this I'd have to use Start and A instead?

Oh, you're right. Sorry about that. It's C and B, not S and A. I get those mixed up unless I look at my pad reading routines. :daze: :D

Joe Redifer
01-12-2010, 01:06 AM
I am fairly sure that Sports Pad Football and Great Ice Hockey won't work with a Genesis control pad no mater which lines you cut. I'm also kind of sure Light Phaser games won't work either with any control pad as well.

kool kitty89
01-12-2010, 06:45 AM
A though: you might considder adding a little switch rather than just cutting the line so you can still use it as a genesis controller as well as on SMS for the few problematic games.

Chilly Willy
01-12-2010, 12:19 PM
A though: you might considder adding a little switch rather than just cutting the line so you can still use it as a genesis controller as well as on SMS for the few problematic games.

Good idea. I need to do that to one of my controllers.

TmEE
01-12-2010, 12:26 PM
I'm very motivated on working out something regarding pause button and controllers.........

Jesse813
01-12-2010, 03:05 PM
if only those damn SMS controllers had pause buttons instead i have off to up during game to pause it:mad:

I am fairly sure that Sports Pad Football and Great Ice Hockey won't work with a Genesis control pad no mater which lines you cut. I'm also kind of sure Light Phaser games won't work either with any control pad as well.
luckily i never plan on playing those games

retrospiel
01-12-2010, 03:27 PM
I'm very motivated on working out something regarding pause button and controllers.........

Some more or less random SMSPower links regarding the mod:

http://www.smspower.org/forums/viewtopic.php?p=29255#29255

http://www.smspower.org/smscartpad/pausebtn.htm

http://www.smspower.org/forums/viewtopic.php?p=50027

http://www.smspower.org/forums/viewtopic.php?p=47153

http://www.smspower.org/forums/viewtopic.php?p=44261

mugenmidget
01-12-2010, 04:01 PM
Interesting, does that mod work with the Neo Myth/Power Base Converter or only on the original Master System?

17daysolderthannes
01-12-2010, 04:33 PM
can you use Genesis controllers with the SMS? I have 2 working SMS pads, but the d-pad is just too wonky (very diagonally biased) for my taste, and I have tons of 3-button controllers I never use to sacrifice (6-button for me, thanks).

doomguy
01-12-2010, 04:58 PM
some games do not work with it micro machines fantastic dizzy and some game i think is called cosmic spacehead. they have this odd cart which was made in england and doesnt work with my converter.

Eric83
01-12-2010, 05:26 PM
Interesting, does that mod work with the Neo Myth/Power Base Converter or only on the original Master System?

Yeah, Ideally I want a pause button on my controller that can work with both the PBC and the Neo Myth.

can you use Genesis controllers with the SMS? I have 2 working SMS pads, but the d-pad is just too wonky (very diagonally biased) for my taste, and I have tons of 3-button controllers I never use to sacrifice (6-button for me, thanks).

I think un-modified Genesis pads will work on the Master System. You would just have the same issues with a few games not working with the controller. And as said previously in this thread, to fix that you can cut the gray wire.

kool kitty89
01-12-2010, 10:22 PM
Yep, and Sega pads work just fine for Atari 2600 (using B button as fire) as well as other platforms using similar joystick ports. (something about C64/Vic 20s though, I think A can possibly do something bad, like shorting something, when pressed)

Unfortunatle the A7800 uses a unique jayout to get the 2nd button, so sega pads are only as good as 1-button joystick in that case. (fine for some games though)

goldenegg
01-12-2010, 10:52 PM
Instead of cutting the cable in my controller, I purchased a 9pin F/M adapter and pulled out the pin that causes these problems. It's a cheap and easy solution, allowing you to keep your Genesis pad intact.

KnightWarrior
01-13-2010, 01:38 AM
What wires can you switch to use it on a 7800 like Left Fire & Right Fire Button??

kool kitty89
01-13-2010, 02:12 AM
The 7800 controller pinout is weird. I'd have thought they'd just use one of the potentiometer lines for the additional button, but no, they did some weird set-up using both pot lines in a weird combination with the fire button line. (I'd assume to allow either button to work as fire for VCS games, seems kind of silly though, especially since they could have had 3 buttons if both pot lines were used separately)

I don't think any addional logic was added other than a few discrete components, but it's weird and I'm not sure where the diagram is. (I've seen it on atariage somewhere, maybe on atarimuseum)

Iron Lizard
01-13-2010, 02:27 AM
Instead of just cutting the wire couldn't a swith just be patched in?

TmEE
01-13-2010, 03:41 AM

The mod is yet to be done, but it is for a MD and it would not require any modification to the controllers, just the MD itself, and it would probably work only with 3button controllers (6 buttoners are more than likely to go crazy).

I expect it to be failry complex mod (I think at least 4 logic chips are needed) and you're gonna have to intercept signals. Lot of complexitiy would come from making the setup transparent in MD mode and active in SMS mode...

mugenmidget
01-13-2010, 04:07 AM
The mod is yet to be done, but it is for a MD and it would not require any modification to the controllers, just the MD itself, and it would probably work only with 3button controllers (6 buttoners are more than likely to go crazy).

I expect it to be failry complex mod (I think at least 4 logic chips are needed) and you're gonna have to intercept signals. Lot of complexitiy would come from making the setup transparent in MD mode and active in SMS mode...Ah, I was wondering about the "left+right" pause mod that Christuserloeser had linked. Does that only work with the Sega Master System?

I still need to get a Mega Drive/Genesis I can send to you for the Crystal Clear Audio Mod, maybe by the time I find one you'll be comfortable with your new SMS mod and I can get in on that too. :)

TmEE
01-14-2010, 10:33 AM
I did a start with my mod, and sad news is that its not exactly working... I can tell though that it needs 5 logic chips, possibly 6...

Eric83
01-14-2010, 03:00 PM
I did a start with my mod, and sad news is that its not exactly working... I can tell though that it needs 5 logic chips, possibly 6...

Externally this wouldn't look as nice as your mod. It would require an extra wire to the controller. But it would also save me the trouble of opening my CDX up. I'm not sure if I take the CDX apart if I'd be able to put it back together again.

I was thinking about modding the pause button on my Power Base Converter with an external cable, or an output port. Then I would put an input port on my Genesis controller wired directly to the START button.

I'd also like to mod the Neo Myth with the same output port. But I don't have a Neo Myth yet so I'm not sure what would fit. I think I'm going to wait until I get a Neo Myth before I start doing any of this.

TmEE
01-15-2010, 08:36 AM
My mod would probably not fit in the CDX unless you use 100% surface mounted stuff...

And you do not need to attach wires to the PBC or such, one address line in the cartslot becomes the pause signal in SMS mode, so all stuff you would have to do is inside the MD itself.

I'm at school right now, and cannot do my stuff... at least not until saturday when I get back home

Whitesnake
10-08-2011, 03:29 PM
I Recently tried to play Alien Syndrome on the Sega Nomad and ran into the incompatible control issue.

Would it not be possible to patch the roms of the above mentioned titles?

Hardware hacks seem a bit drastic and doing it on the The Sega Nomad isn't really an option.

Also there is a couple of paddle support games that would benefit from a controller patch. ;)