Quantcast

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Double Dragon

Elemental Master WCPO Agent GameUser-16-32-128's Avatar

Default Double Dragon

I'm surprised there hasn't been a thread started for this game since it's already been reviewed by Sega-16.
    Well here are my brief impressions on this game:
    I think the first Double Dragon on the Genesis was the closest port of the arcade game I've seen. It is a fun game to play, especially with 2 players, has good graphics and decent music. The faults I can point out for this game is that it is way too short and too easy! The sound effects are also poorly done (except for the machine gun effects) with bleeps and bops! WTF!? Where are the bone crunching punch and kick sound effects from the arcade? Surely those could've easily been done on the Genesis! The controls are actually not bad at all. They are very responsive and don't "switch at random". Sure the execution of the jump kick is weird, but that is forgivable since it is easy to get. There was never a time when I fell into any of the holes or threw my controller out of frustration at any point in the game. I think this game would be good to get if you've enjoyed playing it in the arcade or like collecting games (it goes for almost $200 in incomplete form on Ebay, but I got mine for $26 with everything included!) Overall, I'd give the game a solid 6.5.
    Last edited by Melf; 07-23-2011 at 06:52 PM.

Loves Lori Bazzil! Raging in the Streets 108 Stars's Avatar

Hmh...Double Dragon is no match for Streets of Rage, but it is one of the genreīs grandfathers. This is definately the best port (although I like the MS-version too). Too bad that DD 2 got such a bad port and part 3 was generally the first nail in the seriesīgrave.

outrunner

I like Double Dragon for its storyline about a post-apoclypse new york. With a bunch of thugs roaming the streets.
    But I must say Streets of Rage is a close second for me. But nothing tops Target: Renegade(NES), Double Dragon 2(NES) Double Dragon 2(turbo-duo).

The only reason to play Double Dragon is for history's sake, as its core gameplay style it created has been improved on a lot since it came out - Streets of Rage, for instance.

Loves Lori Bazzil! Raging in the Streets 108 Stars's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Genesis Knight
    The only reason to play Double Dragon is for history's sake, as its core gameplay style it created has been improved on a lot since it came out - Streets of Rage, for instance.
    That reminds me of a discussion I had recently on these forums...^^

I love DD and own about 5 different versions of it, including the awesome PC-Engine one. I still play through it regularly, on the GBA, XBLA, or even the Genesis (too fast for my tastes, and the great audio has been butchered). It's still quite fun.

I always enjoyed both the NES and SMS versions. There was something about pressing both buttons simultaneously to jump that made the game for me. Granted a separate jump button is always preferred, but I just couldn't get used to it in the Genesis version.

ICE HOCKEY BY ACTIVISION! The Sports Guy's Avatar

The genesis version is okay, nothing special. If it had been the first of the ports to come out of the game it would have been the best port of them all. But by the time this came out, we had already moved on. I would give it an 8.

Elemental Master WCPO Agent GameUser-16-32-128's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by trekbone87
    The genesis version is okay, nothing special. If it had been the first of the ports to come out of the game it would have been the best port of them all. But by the time this came out, we had already moved on. I would give it an 8.
    An 8? That sounds more than okay doesn't it?

That reminds me of a discussion I had recently on these forums...^^
    Hmm... That's actually pretty ironic.

Quote Originally Posted by GameUser-16-32-128
    An 8? That sounds more than okay doesn't it?
    Actually, the original score I had WAS 8, ironically enough. Then I woke up.

Quote Originally Posted by GameUser-16-32-128
    I'm surprised there hasn't been a thread started for this game since it's already been reviewed by Sega-16. http://www.sega-16.com/Review-%20Double%20Dragon.php
    Well here are my brief impressions on this game:
    I think the first Double Dragon on the Genesis was the closest port of the arcade game I've seen. It is a fun game to play, especially with 2 players, has good graphics and decent music. The faults I can point out for this game is that it is way too short and too easy! The sound effects are also poorly done (except for the machine gun effects) with bleeps and bops! WTF!? Where are the bone crunching punch and kick sound effects from the arcade? Surely those could've easily been done on the Genesis! The controls are actually not bad at all. They are very responsive and don't "switch at random". Sure the execution of the jump kick is weird, but that is forgivable since it is easy to get. There was never a time when I fell into any of the holes or threw my controller out of frustration at any point in the game. I think this game would be good to get if you've enjoyed playing it in the arcade or like collecting games (it goes for almost $200 in incomplete form on Ebay, but I got mine for $26 with everything included!) Overall, I'd give the game a solid 6.5.
    What I meant by that was how sometimes I would have the punch and kick buttons switch on me whenever I played it. Unless my copy is really glitched up.

Oh, and I found mine boxed for $6, so bite me!
    Last edited by VinnyT; 09-22-2007 at 02:18 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Genesis Knight
    I'd agree with you on every version of Double Dragon except the NES game, which I find more interesting and enjoyable than even the arcade original. A lot of old beat-em ups haven't aged well at all for my tastes.

Well, I'll give you that.

The NES version (NOT port, as all of the NES DD titles were wisely re-tooled from the ground up for the NES hardware by Technos) definitely was the most popular and best-selling of the DD1 home ports. I've heard and read stories of it selling liek hotcaeks (heh) back in '88-'89 in it's first months of release, and inflated copies selling for $99. EGM (or was it EGP, their predecessor?) gave NES DD1 their "Game of the Year" award in 1989, the first recipient of it.

As for Ballistic/Accolade's Genesis port of DD1, I didn't even know it existed until I stumbled upon it and it's weird-ass cart at a local game store back in 2001. It was less than $10 so I snagged it up right then and there. The port may definitely look very close to the original arcade (give or take the weaker color palette and redesigned sprites/backgrounds here and there), and to a lesser extent sound like it (arcade DD1's music IIRC was kinda heavy on FM synth and little PSG, Genesis DD1 takes it to a whole 'notha level. TOO much FM synth, no PSG or noise makes for grating, loud music. Oh yeah, and the pussified punch/kick/hit effects.) but it doesn't exactly play like it. I'm glad I didn't pay more than $10 for it, as I finished it within 3 hours of buying it.

At least it wasn't an unplayable, cluster-fack of a a game port like Acclaim's Genesis port of DD3. Payed $3 for it..........$3 too much. Never was able to finish it.

Well, I think Double Dragon pretty much ended at the sequel. Rise of the Dragons is good, but but that's just part of the franchise by name only. Of course, by the time that awful Double Dragon III came out, arcades really began to stagnate, and constantly rehashing the same beat-em up formula I'm sure didn't help.

I'll never buy it, but my cousin just bought himself a Double Dragon original arcade game. I got suckered by nostalgia some time ago into buying Bad Dudes for mine. People do stupid things.

Thread Information