Quantcast

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Atomic Runner

Antiquing Hedgehog Lord QuickSciFi's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Curryman123 View Post
    This game is aiigh...I hate how you can't go backwards.

The developers tried to do something different, but it didn't do much for me.
    Try to think about it like a walking shmup of the sidescrolling variety, then you'd enter into a whole subgenre of its own. The game plays a lot better than what first impressions tend to give. I'd say give it a go. I did and it provided for some of the best gameplay I've yet experienced on the Genny.

What? Shir is gone? Raging in the Streets StarMist's Avatar

Once again my robotic friend is on the ball. I however prefer to think of it as a sidescrolling refrain of 3D World Runner. (Why not?)

I'll give it an another shot.

Raging in the Streets xelement5x's Avatar

Good lord this game is hard! But I discovered that there are different controller modes, you can make it so that A fires left, B jumps, and C fires right. It's a bit less intuitive when you first start, but as you get used the controls in that fashion it's a lot easier to handle in my opinion.

Impressive little game.
    I remember being let down by the little character, but then I got to play it and had lots of fun.

Been awhile since I played Atomic Runner, but this game's quality really did surprise me. It isn't always much to look at, but it is fun to play.

Chelnov Karnovski, cousin of Jinborov Karnovski, is a classic character in the video game world. Unlike his travelling strong-man cousin Jinborov, Chelnov worked as a nuclear scientist in a high paying and respected job. But his intellectual lifestyle become too much for him, it was disaster. On the day of the meltdown he became Chelnov, The Nuclear Man; The Atomic Runner.

Quote Originally Posted by Kogen View Post
    Chelnov Karnovski, cousin of Jinborov Karnovski, is a classic character in the video game world. Unlike his travelling strong-man cousin Jinborov, Chelnov worked as a nuclear scientist in a high paying and respected job. But his intellectual lifestyle become too much for him, it was disaster. On the day of the meltdown he became Chelnov, The Nuclear Man; The Atomic Runner.
    Somebody needs to make a Super Karnov Brother.... er... Cousins game! Think of the unique mix of gameplay!

8 & 16 bit guy Outrunner Bloodreign's Avatar

Atomic Runner is one I got boxed awhile back, had always wanted this little gem (complete with manual, no hangtab, Quickscifi now has me looking for hangtabs when I find games in shops. If I find them it's great, if not no biggie, but it will now bug me heh) . This is a case of arcade port being better than it's arcade big brother, you got more music, lusher environments, good clean sound effects, what more could you ask for (ok the controls are a tad funky, but there's a control setting that makes the game much easier to play). From what I've heard the story was changed from the original arcade release (no more radiation and nuclear wasteland), not a biggie at all.

It's a shame Data East is no longer with us, I didn't respect them then as I do now, but they did put out some weird but cool games. This review is pretty favorable for the game, can't argue anything against it really.

I remember that a Chelnov coin-op was in a bar near my house, and after seeing stills of this port on the magazine I regularly read, I got surprised by its colorful, detailed backgrounds and the fact that Barcelona and Antoni Gaudí's architecture were present (never got to play that level, though) made me very proud. When I rented it, it didn't hit me as a suprise to find out that it was better than the coin-op. And maybe even tougher.

I think of it as a shoot 'em up dressed as a Contra-like shooter-arcade-platformer that sometimes relies too much on the luck factor over the skill factor, and Chelnov moves like a wind-up toy but it's, still, an above-average game overall.

Toejam is a wiener. Master of Shinobi SEGA-Jorge's Avatar

Just reaching out, I am doing some stuff for Sega Retro for this game, does anyone have a US or Pal instruction booklet they wouldn't mind scanning?

Hedgehog-in-Training Hedgehog-in-TrainingRoad Rasher

I can attempt to scan mine next week. I've never scanned a manual before, but I can give it a shot.

Hedgehog-in-Training Hedgehog-in-TrainingRoad Rasher

So I forgot that I'm actually letting a friend of mine borrow my copy of Atomic Runner. He's had it for a while now, so I think I'll check in with him to see how much longer he wants to hold on to it. After I get it back, I'll follow up with you to see if you're still looking for that scan.

Toejam is a wiener. Master of Shinobi SEGA-Jorge's Avatar

Thanks BubsyFan1! I really appreciate it!

Thread Information