Quantcast

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Valis III

Now with 33% more @$$! Master of Shinobi Assman's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Black_Tiger View Post
    Some of the most celebrated games of all time have enemies crossing through walls and phtsical barriers. The pursuit of realism is one of the worst things to happen to video games.
    I definitely couldn't care less about realism, but when low-level enemies can do things far beyond your capabilities to the point of it seeming incredibly unfair, that blows. I'm pretty sure that my personal celebrated games list doesn't have a lot of games with randomized bastard enemies ignoring barriers and walking through hazards without taking damage.

Quote Originally Posted by Black_Tiger View Post
    Again, I agree that this stuff can suck, but so many classics, esoecially on Nintendo platforms, get a pass for it.
    I'm probably one of the most ferociously anti-Nintendo people on the planet, so alluding to that specifically does fuck-all for me, but no there's no argument that many games have been given a collective free pass for similar behavior. I'm sure I've given passes to loads of games that others here have scrutinized to death for similar reasons, so point taken.

Still, I'm looking at this as a Genesis title specifically, and maybe my memory betrays me a bit, but it seems like a ton of great Genesis games from that era and earlier exhibit fewer problems than this.

I can see why people would be drawn to this title initially, but it has way too many fatal flaws for me. Mechanics like these are a big part of what turns me off to pre-16 bit titles.

8 & 16 bit guy Outrunner Bloodreign's Avatar

One of my favorite series, and games on the Genesis, Valis III is a beauty to behold. Though it is strange a slide works better than a jump, it never truly bothered me. Has some nice music, and really has some nice crunchy bass in some of the stage themes. It even let you play as 3 different girls. The fourth game kind of pissed me off by making Yuko a goddess, but Rena held her own. But this being Yuko's last official mission here, it went out with a bang.

And don't ask me about X, it doesn't exist in my world, period.

Road Rasher

Quote Originally Posted by Bloodreign View Post
    One of my favorite series, and games on the Genesis, Valis III is a beauty to behold. Though it is strange a slide works better than a jump, it never truly bothered me. Has some nice music, and really has some nice crunchy bass in some of the stage themes. It even let you play as 3 different girls. The fourth game kind of pissed me off by making Yuko a goddess, but Rena held her own. But this being Yuko's last official mission here, it went out with a bang.

And don't ask me about X, it doesn't exist in my world, period.
    it is one of those genesis games to remember

Thread Information