Quantcast

Page 2 of 15 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast

Thread: Game Bargain of the Century

Still not afraid of Y2K Shining Hero Rusty Venture's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Devil N View Post
    What if I already have a Dreamcast along with 22 games and a shitload of downloaded discs? Do I get a pat on the shoulder?
    <pats Devil N on the shoulder>

Join the USA/NZ strike force team!
    Quote Originally Posted by Phantar View Post
    a swedish android, awakened by the touch of Raśl Julia...

Banned by Administrators

Quote Originally Posted by rift View Post
    Really? You thought there needed to be MORE said about the most praised/overrated console of all time?
    the short answer: yes.

Quote Originally Posted by rift View Post
    I'd take a Saturn over a hundred dreamcasts
    So you can play...uhhh, ummmm, hmmmm, what is worth playing on the Saturn again? nothing? that's right, now I remember.

Quote Originally Posted by Knuckle Duster View Post
    As a heads up for anybody buying the DC new from ebay from 'PNP Games' They're resealed black sports edition consoles that may or may not be able to read CD-R's.
    What do you mean when you say "may or may not"? Have you come across a Sega Sports DC that can't read CD-Rs? I'll be pissed if I get that black DC in and it can't read CD-Rs since I was expecting the Sega Sports had already run its course by the time Mil-CD functionality was removed.

One site I looked at actually insisted only weird special edition DCs like the Hello Kitty one couldn't read CD-Rs, but I've never had any substantial confirmation of that.

Quote Originally Posted by Devil N View Post
    What if I already have a Dreamcast along with 22 games and a shitload of downloaded discs? Do I get a pat on the shoulder?
    stay the course, red six, stay the course.

Quote Originally Posted by streetsofrage View Post
    how do u play emulators on a dreamcast off a disc? theres not harddrive right?
    all of the ROMs and the emulator are on the disc and it just boots right into the emulator. It's actually kind of nice because you don't have to worry about corrupting files like you might with a PC or modded XBOX or something. If it stops working, just burn another disc, done.

if you want to know where to get them, you'll need a DC ISO and then you'll need to be in the ZONE while using your .COMputer and use the force or something. You can get some COOL ROMS on your .COMputer if you want some commercial games at super fast download speeds.

Quote Originally Posted by Iron Lizard View Post
    Insert disc ,turn on system. Seriously though sometimes you have to combine the roms and emulator itself on a disc but there are many torrents out there that are ready to go with everything already on them.
    You can make custom discs with Self Boot Inducer, but it's not necessary and I'd recommend going with a pre-made disc since they tend to take care to include complete ROM sets with game genie codes, etc. and then you don't have to do all of that hullabaloo to get it to work.

Grandmaster's Reckoning ESWAT Veteran Knuckle Duster's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by 17daysolderthannes View Post
    What do you mean when you say "may or may not"? Have you come across a Sega Sports DC that can't read CD-Rs? I'll be pissed if I get that black DC in and it can't read CD-Rs since I was expecting the Sega Sports had already run its course by the time Mil-CD functionality was removed.
    My first Sega Sports DC couldn't read my backup collection or emulator discs that ran on my other 2 white DC's.

I assume it was the newer model because of that, unless there was a fluke problem with the laser, but it played all originals flawlessly. It was a 'newer manufacturing date'. Don't remember exactly, I gave it away years ago.

The second one I got from ebay plays backups fine.

End of line.. Hero of Algol gamevet's Avatar

So you can play...uhhh, ummmm, hmmmm, what is worth playing on the Saturn again? nothing? that's right, now I remember.
    There was a time when the DC was my favorite console, but that time has passed a long time ago. The Saturn is easily in my top 3 of all time, while the DC is just clawing to hold on to number 5. The Saturn software lineup just absolutely crushes what the DC had to offer, and unique games like PSO just don't hold up over the test of time.
    A Black Falcon: no, computer games and video games are NOT the same thing. Video games are on consoles, computer games are on PC. The two kinds of games are different, and have significantly different design styles, distribution methods, and game genre selections. Computer gaming and console (video) gaming are NOT the same thing."

Grandmaster's Reckoning ESWAT Veteran Knuckle Duster's Avatar

Saturn is a sandbox of overpriced, mediocre software.

Level 6 Rocket Knight Raging in the Streets jerry coeurl's Avatar

If you aren't an uptight square that's too proud to pirate, for a mere $20 you can gain access to some of the best damn games ever made.
    I'm not gonna come at you with some 'holier-than-thou' stuff as I pirated plenty of DC games back in my heyday, but this is kind of obviously flamebait. The DC is a bargain regardless of whether or not you're an "uptight square." It's got a very impressive US library considering how long it was commercially available here, and many of the best games will only run you a couple bucks. Highly recommended.

The Saturn is a great system too, but admittedly most of the best games are gonna set you back a bit. The DC is a great alternative for the budget-conscious gamer. Imo.

Quote Originally Posted by soviet View Post
    If Sega making condoms,I will to one-night-stands in every night~

Banned by Administrators

Didn't TheEdge already make this topic?

LET THE LIST WARS BEGIN!

Quote Originally Posted by sega fan View Post
    Yep, Metal Sonic, we better put on our raincoats and prepare for another Sega-16 shit storm.

...Because nobody can be right on the internet and have their own opinion.
    Come on now Sega Fan, this isn't a matter of just another innocent posting of opinions, this entire argument has already gone down in one of this sites most infamous threads.

This is just another example of 17days trying to gain attention. Nobody has disagreed with him in a while? LETS HAVE AN ORGY OF ROMZ AND PUSH THE LIMITS OF WHAT'S ALLOWED TO BE POSTED HERE!!!

It's just so tired. So much so, that I'm afraid I'm going to have to...

MUNN THIS THREAD!
    Last edited by InternalPrimate; 02-28-2010 at 08:03 PM.

Banned by Administrators

Quote Originally Posted by Knuckle Duster View Post
    My first Sega Sports DC couldn't read my backup collection or emulator discs that ran on my other 2 white DC's.
    Well buttfuck, I hope the one I just bought is backup compatible. Are the drives interchangeable between revisions of DC? At least I could swap it with the white one I have now and then just have a spare drive. That or I could keep it around as my "official game only" system. I guess it would be something of a collector item if it couldn't play backups since they seem to be somewhat rare (never came across one personally).

Quote Originally Posted by gamevet View Post
    There was a time when the DC was my favorite console, but that time has passed a long time ago. The Saturn is easily in my top 3 of all time, while the DC is just clawing to hold on to number 5. The Saturn software lineup just absolutely crushes what the DC had to offer, and unique games like PSO just don't hold up over the test of time.
    PSO? apparently the difference in system preference is due to a different taste in games. Currently, Jedi Power Battles is rockin my world, SOOO much fun to pwn droids with their own laser blast via lightsaber reflect.

Quote Originally Posted by jerry coeurl View Post
    I'm not gonna come at you with some 'holier-than-thou' stuff as I pirated plenty of DC games back in my heyday, but this is kind of obviously flamebait. The DC is a bargain regardless of whether or not you're an "uptight square." It's got a very impressive US library considering how long it was commercially available here, and many of the best games will only run you a couple bucks. Highly recommended.
    Contrary to popular belief, not everything I say is meant to be taken as a slap in the face. "uptight square" isn't the most offensive statement you could possibly make, some might even find it "humorous" if you can believe that. Has it occurred to anyone that if I really hated everyone here that much I would stop posting?

I dunno, IMO, once it's been 10 years, I think ROMs/ISOs are fair game. If you want to just buy a couple games from PSN or Wii VC to save the trouble of learning emulation/bootlegging, that's understandable, but I don't recognize any sufficient moral objection to exceedingly old games that aren't currently being produced nor bringing profits to the responsible developers. You could argue that the low price of DC games is due to the easy piracy versus the Saturn that is nearly impossible to pirate for (even with a modchip the games often don't burn/play right) and has no solid emulators yet (SSF is supposed to be good, but I can't get it to run, I keep getting some sort of audio error).

Quote Originally Posted by InternalPrimate View Post
    Come on now Sega Fan, this isn't a matter of just another innocent posting of opinions, this entire argument has already gone down in one of this sites most infamous threads.

This is just another example of 17days trying to gain attention. Nobody has disagreed with him in a while? LETS HAVE AN ORGY OF ROMZ AND PUSH THE LIMITS OF WHAT'S ALLOWED TO BE POSTED HERE!!!

It's just so tired.
    actually, no. IIRC, I didn't even mention the Saturn until it came up later in the thread, which is totally irrelevant as the Saturn costs at least twice as much for the hardware and astronomical amounts of money for games. The modchip for a Saturn is more than a complete ready-to-go Dreamcast.

I think it's kind of disrespectful to try to run off anyone talking about playing ROMs or ISOs as long as we aren't endangering the forum via direct linking to ROMs (I know I skirted on that a few posts up, but mentioning a site that happens to be OK with ROM linking should be acceptable, but it's not like we're catering to ROM beggars or anything). While some people want to be hardware elitists and only play original hardware with official copies, some people just want to experience the games any way they can. We can't all honestly afford shelling out $100 for Rockman Mega World just to try it out. Not only that, but I'm sure many of us see value in archiving the real hardware and games and play backups/ROMs instead. I'll be moving to NYC soon and I won't have space for my 650+ games, so I have been rigging up ROMs and emulators so I don't have to go without. If someone wants to pirate Mirror's Edge or Skate 2, they can go f themselves because those games are still very prominently sold and their sales will directly help influence sequels as well as reimburse developers for their hard work. On the same token, I don't think anyone should have to pay CaptainDippidyDoo23 $150 for Snatcher when Konami forgot they made the game 15 years ago. Bottom line: leave the pirates alone and we won't shit on you for spending way too much for "rare" games.
    Last edited by 17daysolderthannes; 02-28-2010 at 08:09 PM.

Banned by Administrators

...Because nobody can be right on the internet and have their own opinion.
    Can you point to the part of my post where I said that?

Banned by Administrators

No I'm sorry. That was a personal statement from me, not you.
    And this statement was made because?.....

Banned by Administrators

BUT IF WE DON'T PROVE THEM WRONG WHO WILL SEGA FAN? WHO WILL?!

Level 6 Rocket Knight Raging in the Streets jerry coeurl's Avatar

Contrary to popular belief, not everything I say is meant to be taken as a slap in the face. "uptight square" isn't the most offensive statement you could possibly make, some might even find it "humorous" if you can believe that. Has it occurred to anyone that if I really hated everyone here that much I would stop posting?
    Fair enough, it's just with your history of inflammatory comments, I could see people taking it that way. I agree with your stance on gaming piracy for the most part, even though I personally prefer to own the original soft/hardware.

Quote Originally Posted by soviet View Post
    If Sega making condoms,I will to one-night-stands in every night~

Banned by Administrators

Quote Originally Posted by jerry coeurl View Post
    Fair enough, it's just with your history of inflammatory comments, I could see people taking it that way. I agree with your stance on gaming piracy for the most part, even though I personally prefer to own the original soft/hardware.
    Most of my "inflammatory" comments are taken to the absolute ridiculous extreme when they're meant to be taken more lightly. Sometimes I do really just get all out annoyed when people misread my posts, put words in my mouth, or just say plain stupid shit, but for the most part I'm making tongue-in-cheek statements.

I think we would all prefer to own the real games, but economics are bound to come into play at some point. On that note, we would all like a solid gold toilet seat, a butler, a private jet, a fleet of supercars, and a girlfriend that can deep throat and put her legs behind her head, but at the end of the day, you can't have everything. Piracy of old games lets people get a good understanding of the history of games to re-discover old concepts as well as introduce them to new genres. All I can really say is that if people want to expand their boundaries and tour the world of retro games, I think it should be OK to help them along when money is the limiting factor even if our overzealous copyright laws might not bless such behavior (and, just in case you were wondering, no video game will be legal to bootleg within our lifetimes, so might as well start now).

Jizzed in my pants... NOT Raging in the Streets M4R14NO94's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by InternalPrimate View Post
    It's just so tired. So much so, that I'm afraid I'm going to have to...

MUNN THIS THREAD!
    FUCK YEAH!

Links and stuffz:

http://steamcommunity.com/id/LanceBoyle94
    www.youtube.com/user/M4R14NO94
    http://lanceboyles.tumblr.com/

Quote Originally Posted by "Weird Al" Yankovic (on the AL-TV "interview" with Kevin Federline)
    Really? You mean like if someone got right up on your face and said that you're an IGNORANT, NO-TALENT WHITE TRASH, FORTUNE SQUANDERING VANILLA ICE WANNABE LOSER, you'd be okay with that?

Thread Information