Quantcast

Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Third party controllers & impressions

Default Third party controllers & impressions

Hello!

I got this ideia, looking at my controller collection, and the haul topic where someone posted a Honey Bee chinese controller that he had recently got.

I have 8 controllers, four Sega originals and four third party. Everybody knows that Sega stuff is top notch.

But what about third party controllers? Are they any good? I tought we could start a discussion about them here.

I'll start:

Chinese Honey Bee 6 button controller.

My weapon of choice. Fits very good in my big/long fingered hands. 15 years of abuse and it has yet to give up.

Pros:

• Solid Build Quality
    • 3 button model shape + 6 buttons + independent rapid/auto fire= WIN
    • Pretty AND Confortable

Cons:

• D-pad a little too loose (fixed mine with some E.V.A. rubber, see pic).
    • Cord lacks protection on the controller, will break if handled without care. (fixed with some epoxy).

Pro 2: (Brand?)

This one is a Frankenstein of controllers. I have it since 1991, and it broke down recently (cord, easily fixable). Swaped almost every part of this controler with salvage ones from dead controllers. Still played very well until it broke.

Pros:

• Independent Rapid Fire/Slow
    • D-pad with screw-on Joystick (originally, not anymore)

Cons:

• Only 3 buttons (not really a con)

I also have two chinese knockoff controllers, but those are not even worth mentioning. One of them broke in the first playthrough of Street Fighter 2.

So beware of this piece of shit. It say SEGA, but it's entirely another thing. The marks on the buttons are written in 3 different fonts, and it's cord measures 2 and a half feet. TWO AND A HALF, FFS!!!! Well, i said i would mention... BEWARE. Don't be fooled like me to buy this online (US 3,00 isn't much of a loss)

Feel free to post yours! I'd love to see them!

The Cat in the Hat Hero of Algol NeoVamp's Avatar

SG ProPad 2 (later renamed to SG ProPad 6)

My weapon of choice, I got my first SG ProPad back in.. pfff 93?
    It cost me a small fortune (well for a highschool kid with no job everything seems a fortune)
    but it was well worth it, the D-pad is smooth and does not hurt your fingers after a prolonged session of SF2.
    the button layout is good too its easy to navigate and the buttons themselves are made so your thumb rests in them, instead of on them.

Furthermore the Joypad has 2 extra buttons on each side similar to the Snes joypad,
    these buttons called L & R can be programmed via the little led screen in the middle.
    however personally when i bought it i misread and amused it would allow me to program moves like the impossible to do Shoryuken! (oh how difficult it seemed back then)
    but sadly it turned out the buttons could only be programmed to allow for multiple ABC/XYZ presses at once.

Which worked wonders for a game like Eternal Champions, where you'd just assign A+B+C to button L and X+Y+Z to button R
    and presto!, instant R.A.X power attack at the press of a button!

the Joypad also supports rapid firing, which always comes in handy at one point or another.

There's also a slow motion button, which i personally never found any use for.
    its also too big and there were a couple times where my finger would slip in the heat of action and I'd be greeted by nonstop
    Street Fighter II pause sounds (you know the kind, now imagine that with start being pressed constantly)

Pros:

• Comfortable design
    • 6 Buttons
    • Programmable L & R buttons
    • Good D-pad that doesn't hurt your finger

Cons:

• Cord is way too short (strangely enough the box claimed it had a super long cord)
    • No motion programming
    • Slow Motion button is too big and strangely placed.
    Last edited by NeoVamp; 03-08-2010 at 08:14 PM.

I have an Asciipad MD, it came out of a flea market with my Model 1 Genesis.

I've never actually used this one for very long, I bought a (3-button) Sega pad the same day.

Pros:

*Decent D-Pad
    *individual autofire/turbo switches
    *Shape is slightly easier to hold than the Genesis standard pad

Cons:

* Only 3 buttons
    Last edited by Elliotw2; 03-09-2010 at 06:20 PM.

Judging from the dirt on that D-pad it's easy to see why the buttons are sticking. You can try opening it and cleaning it throughly.

Warm water & cloth on the plastics and pencil eraser on the contacts has been working for 20 years for me! Someone correct me if i'm wrong.

yeah its a bit mean to put sticky buttons under con just because you are too lazy to clean it.

Angry Liberal Arts Major Hero of Algol Iron Lizard's Avatar

I usually don't like 3rd party controllers but I do like the ASCII Fighter Stick SG-6. It is a bit small though. If my hands were larger I could see that being a problem.

I've been meaning to clean it, but the screws are either stripped, or covered in even more gunk. It does stick slightly less than my Sega pad, though that's still not saying much

ToeJam is a wiener Hero of Algol Guntz's Avatar

I have two rather interesting controllers to show you all:

ASCII Rhino Gear

This is a pretty damn sweet pad. It's modeled after the new Genesis controller style, but stands out in a good way. It feels nice, the buttons have a nice soft clicky-ness to them, the D-Pad is good and each of the ABCXYZ buttons has their own individual rapid fire switches with two speeds. I don't know what the difference between "Turbo" and "Auto" is, but it must be good!

Pros:

+ Good buttons and D-Pad.
    + Quality plastic feel.
    + Independent Mutli-adjustable Rapidfire function.
    + Modeled after the official Sega 6-button pad.

Cons:

- No programmable buttons.

QuickShot

This is actually a rather odd controller. It's a three button controller and no extra trimming at all. Seriously, the only buttons are the D-Pad, Start button and ABC. It's practically no different from the official Sega 3-button pad. The buttons have a toy-like clicky-ness to them but it's not bad. The D-Pad also feels a tad cheap, but it could also be it's age. The Start button is in a nice convenient spot though, right next to the D-Pad. The only other notable thing about this controller is it's rather unique shape. I haven't seen another Genesis pad like it. It isn't quite as boomerang-esque as the official 3-button pad, but it isn't modeled after the 6-button pad either.

Pros:

+ Nice shape.
    + Start button is in a convenient spot.
    + Controller shell has a good quality feel.

Cons:

- No Rapid Fire
    - No Programmable buttons
    - Only 3 button.
    - The Buttons and D-Pad have a cheap toy-like feel to them.

Turbo means that they will rapidly trigger when held down. Auto means that it rapidly triggers the button anyway.
    Auto would make Contra: Hard Corps constantly fire, no matter what. Turbo would make it fire when you hold the button down

This would make for a great Sega-16 feature entry imo,
    just take the best reviews from this thread and reword some things and bam!

There's a Rhino pad on ebay, but they won't ship outside United States.

I also had this one. Super Pro-2. Maybe an evolution of the Pro 2? Who knows. Biggest dissapointment on my gaming life. I asked my dad for a 6 button controller, and he came home with this. The damn'd controler had 6 buttons in it, but just A,B,C, A+B and two programable shoulder Buttons (A,B or C). At least it was very comfortable.

Pros:

• Comfortable
    • Turbo/Auto fire

Neutral:

• 6 buttons, three funcions...

It's neutral because while I wanted a REAL six button controller, it's programable shoulder buttons plus A+B button functions where still pretty neat...

Cons:

• Broke pretty quickly
    • May have fooled countless unaware parents thinking it had X,Y and Z buttons

ToeJam is a wiener Hero of Algol Guntz's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Elliotw2 View Post
    Turbo means that they will rapidly trigger when held down. Auto means that it rapidly triggers the button anyway.
    Auto would make Contra: Hard Corps constantly fire, no matter what. Turbo would make it fire when you hold the button down
    Gotcha.

Quote Originally Posted by NeoVamp View Post
    This would make for a great Sega-16 feature entry imo,
    just take the best reviews from this thread and reword some things and bam!
    Great idea. Hope Melf sees this. I'd like it if some of mine could get featured. I should dig up the rest of my third party controllers and review them.

Antiquing Hedgehog Lord QuickSciFi's Avatar

This is a great thread. It's already been very informative. I might post a pic of my own 3rd party pads later on, along with my impressions.

I like how the Quickshot says "For Professional Players" on it.

Still not afraid of Y2K Shining Hero Rusty Venture's Avatar

I have that asciiPad, I wasn't aware they released it in England.

My asciipad SG is rock solid after all these years. The d-pad is wonderful and the buttons still work well after years of use. Too bad the 6-button version has a d-pad that isn't as great as the 3 button version.

Join the USA/NZ strike force team!
    Quote Originally Posted by Phantar View Post
    a swedish android, awakened by the touch of Raśl Julia...

Thread Information