Quantcast

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: snk now repairs neo geos systems

oh, hello there WCPO Agent Robivy64's Avatar

A Neo Geo should NEVER have to be dusted off.

**plugs the MV-1FZ in the cab and plays Metal Slug X**

Quote Originally Posted by Robivy64 View Post
    A Neo Geo should NEVER have to be dusted off.

**plugs the MV-1FZ in the cab and plays Metal Slug X**
    You say that 'cause you have the cheaper MVS carts

EDIT: Gets boring playing the same only 3 AES carts currently available, after while
    φΨήœ μΞΠΰ ε ψώ♪

The Neo Geo is so awesome.

I remember when I bought an AES many years ago. I found a bundle on ebay with three games for $200 (Samurai Showdown, Top Players Golf, and Football Frenzy).

I had no clue how expensive some of those AES games were. An original Metal Slug for $1000? No thanks. It's a great looking machine, and the AES->MVS converters are fairly reliable from what I have read. Maybe that's an option for you?

I later purchased an MV-1FZ, and "consolized" it. I have since sold both.

MVS carts don't look nice at all, but they get the job done.

EDIT: I managed to find some old photos of the franken-neo! Memories!

↑..Nice!...Me likes!....

Neo-Geo systems, in any form are awesome....They truly deliver...
    φΨήœ μΞΠΰ ε ψώ♪

ToeJam is a wiener Hero of Algol Guntz's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by havok666 View Post
    [IMG]That's why.
    Oh you are too funny! As if I don't already know...

NES games cost $50 - $60 when they were new. Most can be had for a few dollars these days. Most AES games really shouldn't be that expensive. Samurai Shodown II is common, it should be a $15 - $20 game, not a $40 one. Although, given most late releases were really good, stuff like Metal Slug 3 and Garou: Mark of the Wolves sort of deserve to stay high... Sort of...

The MV-1C is the smallest Neo Geo MVS board.

It would be ideal for building a handheld. The PCB is nearly the same size as the cart.
    I thought Longhorn Engineer or somebody similar hacked a MV-1C board into a handheld already. It was still pretty big but regardless, it was badass. Except for the pink color used for the shell. Red should have been the obvious choice.

End of line.. Hero of Algol gamevet's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Guntz View Post
    Oh you are too funny! As if I don't already know...

NES games cost $50 - $60 when they were new. Most can be had for a few dollars these days. Most AES games really shouldn't be that expensive. Samurai Shodown II is common, it should be a $15 - $20 game, not a $40 one. Although, given most late releases were really good, stuff like Metal Slug 3 and Garou: Mark of the Wolves sort of deserve to stay high... Sort of...
    Does Mark of the Wolves deserve to stay at a high price, when you can get it on the Dreamcast and a recent PS2 compilation? I believe MS3 was also available on the original Xbox.
    A Black Falcon: no, computer games and video games are NOT the same thing. Video games are on consoles, computer games are on PC. The two kinds of games are different, and have significantly different design styles, distribution methods, and game genre selections. Computer gaming and console (video) gaming are NOT the same thing."

There is a huge Neo Geo AES collector's scene. The only reason the prices are so high is because of the collectors. The ports have been very good for the most part.

They even go so far as to pass on or discount an AES cart that has "insertion marks", being small marks on the cartridge created by inserting the game into the console.

Some collectors would buy carts, seal them in plastic, and never play them. I'm talking about $500+ AES carts. I used to think that AES carts dissolved when exposed to oxygen.

It's a wacky scene.

ToeJam is a wiener Hero of Algol Guntz's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by gamevet View Post
    Does Mark of the Wolves deserve to stay at a high price, when you can get it on the Dreamcast and a recent PS2 compilation? I believe MS3 was also available on the original Xbox.
    Well you gotta remember, MotW was probably made in extremely low quantities like most late AES releases. The worst part about it is there isn't even a wild guess on the print runs SNK made. You could make a rough guess on Nintendo or Sega games, heck some have even had print run numbers leaked or rumored. The same can not be said about any of the AES releases. Yes the existence of compilations and ports should bring the price down, but as Rob says, the AES collector's scene is a scary one.

There is a huge Neo Geo AES collector's scene. The only reason the prices are so high is because of the collectors. The ports have been very good for the most part.

They even go so far as to pass on or discount an AES cart that has "insertion marks", being small marks on the cartridge created by inserting the game into the console.

Some collectors would buy carts, seal them in plastic, and never play them. I'm talking about $500+ AES carts. I used to think that AES carts dissolved when exposed to oxygen.

It's a wacky scene.
    Wacky doesn't even begin to describe it.

As to the insertion marks, I've heard you can scrape off those plastic tabs on the cartridge slot flaps to help decrease the insertion marks. Though really, I guess it all depends on the person. I for one don't like scratched up carts, but yeah the fact that insertion marks can mean double (or for some games, triple) digit number differences is just ridiculous.

Also speaking of crazy collectors, I remember hearing one guy handled his expensive AES carts with gloves on. Gotta watch out for that umm, sweat I suppose. The acid could permanently damage the plastic ya kno...

Yeah, I think you have to be either Bill Gates or some kind of royalty in order to get full use out of a Neo Geo AES.

An Elite Member Wildside Expert WoodyXP's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by JRedmond3 View Post
    Yeah, I think you have to be either Bill Gates or some kind of royalty in order to get full use out of a Neo Geo AES.
    Nah.. you just have to know how to budget. I have over 80 AES games and I like to consider myself a middle-class guy. I never had money to buy the latest Playstation/2/3 games but I had enough to snag the occasional AES cart.

The Neo Geo is so awesome.

I remember when I bought an AES many years ago. I found a bundle on ebay with three games for $200 (Samurai Showdown, Top Players Golf, and Football Frenzy).

I had no clue how expensive some of those AES games were. An original Metal Slug for $1000? No thanks. It's a great looking machine, and the AES->MVS converters are fairly reliable from what I have read. Maybe that's an option for you?

I later purchased an MV-1FZ, and "consolized" it. I have since sold both.

MVS carts don't look nice at all, but they get the job done.

EDIT: I managed to find some old photos of the franken-neo! Memories!

that looks pretty cool

Thread Information