Quantcast

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: snk now repairs neo geos systems

NGPC snk japan now repairs neo geos systems

Last edited by johj1987; 03-23-2010 at 06:00 AM.

ToeJam is a wiener Hero of Algol Guntz's Avatar

Now that's just damned cool.

If only Sega did that with the Game Gear caps and Dreamcast lasers.

Dreamcasts are like 20 bucks so you'd be better off just getting a new one even if Sega did offer repairs.

Grandmaster's Reckoning ESWAT Veteran Knuckle Duster's Avatar

It would be cool if someone could verify if they offered the service globally. SNK was always about fan service.
    Japanese companies are usually good like that. Falcom comes to mind, they usually give you random free stuff with their direct game sales, especially if you place a heavy order.

HEY ATARI! WAKE UP...oh wait...You're dead...Nevermind.

The only hard thing to repair for Dreamcast is the GDRom assembly. Does anybody know if Sega still offers repairs to Naomi boards that use GDRom?

oh, hello there WCPO Agent Robivy64's Avatar

They don't, however, the last time I checked you can still buy NOS GD-ROM parts directly from Sega. The Naomi GD-ROM DIMMs fail all the time, so these are always being purchased.

You can also rape the GD assembly from the revision 0 and 1 Dreamcasts and install it in a Naomi GD.
    Last edited by Robivy64; 03-23-2010 at 03:51 PM.

Cannibalism is sexy.

Banned by Administrators

Quote Originally Posted by Deo View Post
    If only Sega did that with the Game Gear caps and Dreamcast lasers.
    A professional cap replacement would probably cost $50-$100 or more b/c it's a lot of nitpicky fine soldering. Professional hardware technicians don't come cheap. Shipping it to China for labor might work, but then the turnaround would be extremely long and I doubt they would get the volume to justify it. Even worse, what would they do if there were other things wrong with it unrelated to the capacitors? You think the average consumer would be OK being out $100 with a still non-working Game Gear?

There's nothing wrong with Dreamcast lasers, noobs just don't know what they're doing. I have NEVER come across a Dreamcast with "disc read error" I couldn't fix without replacing parts, excluding ones with obvious signs of abuse, of course. The GD-ROM assembly is actually more robust than most of Sony's drives (and a fuck ton better than the XBOX 360's drive). I think most of the problem in many cases is slipping on the spindle because there isn't very much rubber and if that gets covered in dust, it can't grip anymore. Futhermore, I'm not sure that the retention pegs hold the disc tight enough and if you don't make sure to push the center of the disc down firmly and evenly it will cause it to run lopsided enough for read problems.

Quote Originally Posted by 17daysolderthannes View Post
    There's nothing wrong with Dreamcast lasers, noobs just don't know what they're doing. I have NEVER come across a SQUAWK SQUAWK SQUAAAAWWWWWK!
    Sorry bro, I have a dead Dreamcast in my hands right now that counters your ever persistent life-story-knowledge-base.

The power is fine, I've done a 'temp' swap on the GDRom assembly and revived it back when it died. The motor that pushes the laser is fucked. It's not worth fixing IMO, I have more Dreamcast's kicking around.

Raging in the Streets

Default LISTEN TO ME BEING SARCASTIC. AH YES, 'THE REAPERS'.

Quote Originally Posted by Knuckle Duster View Post
    Sorry bro, I have a dead Dreamcast in my hands right now that counters your ever persistent life-story-knowledge-base.
    hey, the guy worked in a VIDEO GAME STORE for a while replacing console parts for STUPID CUSTOMERS, of course he knows better than the so-called 'professional engineers' who designed the machine in the first place. Whenever anyone at Sega has a good idea, they run it by him, just to make sure it's a good idea. Because the guy knows how to replace a GD-ROM laser!

Mastering your Systems Shining Hero TmEE's Avatar

The power is fine, I've done a 'temp' swap on the GDRom assembly and revived it back when it died. The motor that pushes the laser is fucked.
    Death of motor driver chip is usual cause for DC drives to malfunction... From 5 drives I got here, 3 got a hole in the BAxxxx chip. I've added 4.7ohm resistors in series with the motors so in case of motor failure the chip will not die (that soon)...
    Death To MP3, :3
    Mida sa loed ? Nagunii aru ei saa "Gnirts test is a shit" New and growing website of total jawusumness !
    If any of my images in my posts no longer work you can find them in "FileDen Dump" on my site ^

Correcting your mistakes with SPECULATION/GOOGLE/ASSUMPTIONS.

since 2008

Banned by Administrators

The power is fine, I've done a 'temp' swap on the GDRom assembly and revived it back when it died. The motor that pushes the laser is fucked. It's not worth fixing IMO, I have more Dreamcast's kicking around.
    your answer:

A excluding ones with obvious signs of abuse, of course.
    You probably broke something when you took it apart, num nuts.

Quote Originally Posted by Elusive View Post
    hey, the guy worked in a VIDEO GAME STORE for a while replacing console parts for STUPID CUSTOMERS, of course he knows better than the so-called 'professional engineers' who designed the machine in the first place. Whenever anyone at Sega has a good idea, they run it by him, just to make sure it's a good idea. Because the guy knows how to replace a GD-ROM laser!
    Gee, so my engineering degree isn't as good as theirs? OK. I've just fixed this shit day in and day out, but what do I know? I supposed all video game company engineers are the hot shit of the universe, just like the ones that designed the XBOX 360, right?

the situation TmEE described may happen in a small minority of DCs, but most of the time it is the simplest of dirt/dust issues.

Quote Originally Posted by Robivy64 View Post
    Robivy 64: thinks he's an engineer because he did some work equivalent to a 1950's housewife telephone switchboard operator. How cute.

I know this shit from working with it personally and going through an engineering curriculum with a squad full of Nazi's teaching. What's your credentials, captain?

I don't claim to be an engineer. You aren't an electrical engineer.

I have been repairing and modifying game consoles for over 10 years, featured in O'Reilly's "Gaming Hacks" book by Simon Carless (proof).

You should give it a read sometime.

Your lose credibility with posts like this:
    furthermore, why are there so many GD wires? last time I checked, RGB was 3 wires, what are the other NINE THOUSAND wires for? controllers?
    It's one thing to not know, but to not know and PRETEND you do, that is an entirely different enchilada. You admitted yourself that you regurgitate what information you find with quick google searches.

whoops, my b, I couldn't remember the Saturn arcade equivalent and I just took the first thing I saw on Google. There were a handful of model 2 games on the Saturn, though.
    I enjoy helping people learn who WANT to learn. There is nothing wrong with NOT knowing.

Use google to find out what my degree is in. You seem to be good at it.

Quote Originally Posted by TmEE View Post
    Death of motor driver chip is usual cause for DC drives to malfunction... From 5 drives I got here, 3 got a hole in the BAxxxx chip. I've added 4.7ohm resistors in series with the motors so in case of motor failure the chip will not die (that soon)...
    Might be the same problem, never looked into it other than basic troubleshooting.

your answer:

Quote Originally Posted by 17daysolderthannes
    A excluding ones with obvious signs of abuse, of course.
    You probably broke something when you took it apart, num nuts.
    Sure! I love taking apart fully functional consoles to fix them for no reason!
    Real Answer: I never abuse my electronics.

Go skeet on your iPhone or something. It's all you're good at.
    Last edited by Knuckle Duster; 03-23-2010 at 08:12 PM.

Thread Information