Quantcast

Page 1 of 10 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: What's the best way to connect your Genesis/MD to a HDTV?

Default What's the best way to connect your Genesis/MD to a HDTV?

Hi guys, i looked on the forums but couldn't find such a thread...maybe it does exist but i haven't found it so...self-explanatory thread.

Mastering your Systems Hero of Algol TmEE's Avatar

This is more of a TV dependant thing, some show things better than others. I got very lovely results from hooking my MD to a 40" Panasonic over RGB, S-video and composhit were pretty good looking too latter with bad colors though...
    Death To MP3, :3
    Mida sa loed ? Nagunii aru ei saa "Gnirts test is a shit" New and growing website of total jawusumness !
    If any of my images in my posts no longer work you can find them in "FileDen Dump" on my site ^

RGB if you're in europe. If you're in USA use an rgb to component transcoder. here's what strider looks like on an hdtv using said device:

Angry Liberal Arts Major ESWAT Veteran Iron Lizard's Avatar

The best way involves lots of duck tape.

will hog your hedges... Raging in the Streets djshok's Avatar

I hooked mine up with an RGB to SCART cable connected to a SCART to HDMI converter + HDMI cable. Mind you this results in a mess of cables, since the converter needs it's own power supply. It's also on the pricey side, but it does look great on my 40" LG HDTV.

If you live in Europe though, you can skip all that and just connect directly with the RGB cable.

50fps because why not? Master of Shinobi Flygon's Avatar

My HDTV looks amazing through S-Video with all the filters turned off, nearly pixel perfect (Though, I do admit that RGB to Component could do visibly better).

I'd say get S-Video if you're not too perfectionist and don't want to spend too much money.

Though, I'm assuming you don't live in Europe. If you're European? Go with everyone else's suggestion and get RGB SCART.

ToeJam is a wiener Hero of Algol Guntz's Avatar

TMEE already said this, but I'll add to it to emphasize it.

Vintage games on HDTVs rely almost entirely on the TV itself, not the video cables you are using. Most people who ask this question have old ass HDTVs with terrible upscalers and support for SD content. If you want to do ANY gaming with an old console on an HDTV, you have to buy a new one. You can't make a bad TV better. I highly recommend the Panasonic Viera, Plasma model. The newer revisions are fantastic TVs. I myself much prefer Plasma over LCD, I feel it produces a better picture without needing special features and functions like what you'd find on LCD.

As for video cables, S-Video is really all you need. RGB SCART or converted HDMI are only necessary if you can't get a new HDTV. With older HDTVs you need either of those in order to get a picture that doesn't look awful. Composite is okay but not great. It works better on CRTs. If you can, get your Genesis modded for S-Video or get one of them RGB converters. Although if you go the converter route, might as well get one that converts to HDMI, unless the HDMI models are stupidly expensive.

Come join us on Micro-64! My selling thread, featuring English translated FC carts, big box PC games and more!

You can compensate for a bad TV by using external upscalers though. hat includes HDMI converters. (and there are RGB SCART to HDMI converters)
    6 days older than SEGA Genesis
    -------------
    Quote Originally Posted by evilevoix View Post
    Dude it’s the bios that marries the 16 bit and the 8 bit that makes it 24 bit. If SNK released their double speed bios revision SNK would have had the world’s first 48 bit machine, IDK how you keep ignoring this.
    the PCE, that system has no extra silicone for music, how many resources are used to make music and it has less sprites than the MD on screen at once but a larger sprite area?

How do you get S video out of the genesis then Guntz?

50fps because why not? Master of Shinobi Flygon's Avatar

Your Mega Drive needs to be modded, personally, I suggest contacting TmEE about it, he did a wonderful job on my Mega Drive, as long as you don't mind the shipping time and fees.

I'm from Brazil, systems here are USA-like. Can i get it to work with S-Video without moding it?

Nope, Sega (or TecToy) never added external S-video connections to the console, neither did they include the small amount of circuitry needed to supply proper s-video from the video encoder chip. (that's done with the mod, along with adding the s-video connector)

If you've got any soldering skills, or know someone who does, the mod is pretty simple.
    -------------
    Dude it’s the bios that marries the 16 bit and the 8 bit that makes it 24 bit. If SNK released their double speed bios revision SNK would have had the world’s first 48 bit machine, IDK how you keep ignoring this.
    the PCE, that system has no extra silicone for music, how many resources are used to make music and it has less sprites than the MD on screen at once but a larger sprite area?

Road Rasher

If you really care about image quality (and you should), you should really go the RGB SCART -> Component Transcoder route. Yeah, it's pricey, but it's worth it. Either that or just keep a CRT around for classic gaming.

Chris

Quote Originally Posted by Jibbajaba View Post
    If you really care about image quality (and you should), you should really go the RGB SCART -> Component Transcoder route. Yeah, it's pricey, but it's worth it. Either that or just keep a CRT around for classic gaming.

Chris
    2 things: this is, of course, useless if you don't thave a component capable TV, and also, from the comparisons I've seen, the leap from composite to S-video is MUCH bigger than s-video to component/RGB. (a good S-video mod anyway) The bigger difference between RGB and S-video, isn't sharpness of the image, but some difference in saturation, contrast, and sometimes remaining S-video artifacts. (vertical bars on the sony CXA encoders, and sometimes some faint rainbow banding)

Still, if you can find someone to help with the mod locally, it's a LOT cheaper than a component/RGB transcoder. ($40 US in ebay)
    The mod is fairly simple, so if you know anyone with soldering or electronics capabilities (friend, family, or someone you could pay to work on it), that could be good.

However, some Mega Drive IIs and MD IIIs have video encoders which cannot be modded, these have a samsung brand encoder.
    -------------

fka christuserloeser ESWAT Veteran retrospiel's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by inutil View Post
    What's the best way to connect your Genesis/MD to a HDTV?
    RGB-SCART to HDMI:

First you'll need a RGB SCART cable: http://shop.ebay.co.uk/scart+mega+drive

And then of course the RGB to HDMI converter: http://shop.ebay.com/hdmi+scart+converter

This definitely is the best way to connect your Genesis/MD to an HDTV - by far:

Click for full size
    Last edited by retrospiel; 04-02-2010 at 04:57 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Genesis Knight View Post
    Sega's worst damn enemy was (and continues to be) Sega.
    189 157 262 502 517 659 220 556 112

Thread Information