Quantcast

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Side by Side: Forgotten Worlds (Genesis vs. Super CD-ROM2)

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Redifer
    I imagine that it auto fired no matter what, with the two buttons rotaing the player. Buy it and find out!
    That's exactly how it worked (kudos to Sanritsu).

I kick ass!

Devil In A Midnight Mass WCPO Agent Flash1087's Avatar

I kick ass!
    And so MODEST, too!

I KNOW! I guess that makes me kick even more ass!

Banned by Administrators 16bitter's Avatar

How comparable was the SuperCD to CPS hardware?

Not very. Therefore it is even more amazing how close NES Avenue was able to get.

Not very. Therefore it is even more amazing how close NES Avenue was able to get.
    NES Avenue??
    You have the ring... and I see your schwartz is as big as mine...

Quote Originally Posted by Mendicant
    NES Avenue??
    NEC Avenue

Awww... I was hoping an NES version of this game existed. I'd LOVE to see how close the NES avenue would get.
    You have the ring... and I see your schwartz is as big as mine...

Wildside Expert

I have just recently played this game on PCE and it is a lot better than the MD/Genesis version (IMO), in terms of graphics (more colors, bigger sprites, better animation, but no parallax), and sound (more and pronounced sound effects, redbook audio BGM). Even though it is one player only, the game gives you up to 3 lives per credit and 3 credits total.

Ninja

i've got a special attachment to this game, many found memories... i've played a lot the Mega Drive version & when 2 years ago i put my hands on a Nec Duo-R, i started to compare those 2 versions in the case the Nec one was also Worth to be bought, but i was disappointed with it...

1st : the Nec version lacks 2 player mode, which is a BIG flaw
    & i second Joe here, that if they had put a 2 players mode on the Nec version it would obviously have been flickering & slowdown overload!...

... because yes, 2nd : the game flicker A LOT! (& it's even worse with the flamethrower) + there's some slowdowns at times...

3rd : the total lacks of parallax, which sucks A LOT! :s
    it's another point where i was disappointed not only with this version of Forgotten Worlds, but more generally with MANY PC Engine & / or PC Engine CD games, which totally lack parallax scrollings : so Forgotten Worlds, but also Zero Wing; Wonder Boy III : Monster Lair; Cadash; Raiden & Super raiden; Street Fighter II; etc etc... it's like, lifeless

4th : before each boss the WHOLE screen goes black during 2 or 3 seconds O_O it's a poorly finished way to load the stuffs...

5th : there's no score meter! O_O' + during boss-fights even the Zenny meter disappears... it's really cheap

6th : graphicaly wise, the last stage is horribly made : of course the lacks of parallax still doesn't help, but here there's also a lack of "tower perspective" in the background, no circular effect like if we flew through a round tower... this last point is less dramatic than the previous ones, but it's still another failing

one last thing, but, contrary to the others, this one is a subjective one : the music. in this case, the PC Engine CD version isn't a bad job, it takes an orchestral way, which is sometimes a bad things for VG music, but here it fits somewhat well the atmosphere of the game... but i prefer the Mega Drive OST rendition, more dynamic, more trippy

considering the Mega Drive version came out 2 years & a half earlier than the PCE CD one + on a 4Mb cartridge, this is another very good job by Sega porting an Arcade classic
    the PCE CD version, came out later with CD rom support & shitload of possible room for it, is, in the end, not that good, but it's still a great game coz initially it's an amazing Arcade game ;p
    ultimately i think it's a draw between these 2 versions. but if sega had released it a bit later, on a 8Mb cartridge = with the 2 missing levels & some others improvements, this would have been perfect & it would have blown away the PCE CD version, like the Mega Drive's Strider blow away the PC Engine CD (+ Arcade Card! - lol - )'s Strider

Beat Em Ups Master of Shinobi cowboyscowboys's Avatar

Pretty much sums up my feelings on the issue SpaceHarrier
    Women Asian Please
    Beat Em Up- Streets of Rage 2
    Platformer- Sonic 3 and Knuckles
    Run and Gun- Gunstar Heroes
    Adventure- Story of Thor
    Action- Shinobi 3

I remain nonsequitur Shining Hero sheath's Avatar

There are a lot of things wrong in those points. With the flicker problem, yes the PCE probably couldn't handle both main characters plus their weapons plus all of the enemies on screen or bosses plus shots. That is just because the Genesis is all around better than the PCE/TG16 at sprite handling. Having just recently acquired the PCE-CD game I can see why a lot of people like it, because I do. It feels like a different game than the Genesis version, and that is okay with me because I love Forgotten Worlds.

I need to play all the way through the PCE-CD game, but a 2 second load time before bosses wouldn't kill anything for me. I also don't recall any level in the Genesis version having any parallax besides a small floor scroll plus sprites and a flat background. I might need to play through them both again.

On the other technical stuff, the PCE CD game would still have more colors than even an 8MEGAPOWA Genesis version, there just isn't any way around that. They could have heavily optimized the missing background elements to look okay for a Genesis version but the PCE CD game would still be technically better in that department. On the PCE CD side, they probably could have used animated tiles to make some backgrounds more dynamic, I'm not sure what specific effect we are looking for though. As for the Strider Comparison, Strider on ACD sucks because the developer sucked. There was absolutely no reason for that game to not rock to no end, and I still enjoy playing it. I would rather play Strider on ACD than the NES or Master System versions, or even the PS1 Strider 2/1 disk.

The PCE does tend to struggle with platformers though, I agree completely and it disappoints me too. That doesn't stop Legendary Axe, Ninja Spirit and Valis III CD from being completely near perfect Action-Platformers though.
    "... If Sony reduced the price of the Playstation, Sega would have to follow suit in order to stay competitive, but Saturn's high manufacturing cost would then translate into huge losses for the company." p170 Revolutionaries at Sony.

"We ... put Sega out of the hardware business ..." Peter Dille senior vice president of marketing at Sony Computer Entertainment

@cowboyscowboys : yeah, it's like if this version tried to hide all its flaws behind some very good GFX... ^^

@sheath : mmh, i don't see anything wrong

-> the PCE CD version flicker A LOT. so i can easily imagine an even worse mess with a 2nd player at screen

-> the 2-3 seconds black out loading moments before each boss would have been OK on a Master System, but here, no

-> even if the original Arcade version of this game isn't a parallax-overload affair, 2 differents scrolling sections is, ofc, the minimum way to start having a deep & nice perspective, but the PCE CD version lacks this & same goes for many others PCE / PCE CD games...

-> for the hypothetical 8Mb MD version, it logically would have fixed the 2 missing stages + it could have done some visual improvements here & there... but graphically wise, as things currently are, the gap between the MD & PCE CD versions isn't THAT big : the "clouds-stage" is almost the same on both version; the last stage looks bland on PCE CD... but at all other time, the GFX are more detailled & some of the sprites, like the snake boss, bigger on PCE CD. but the PCE CD version is also far from being totally accurate to the Arcade version...

-> also you didn't mention the lack of score meter, which sucks even more for a shoot'em up, even if this one isn't big ranking-wise. + the items too aren't displayed like they are on the Arcade & MD versions...

that's it

oh &, in other hand the Master System version is quite cool, missing some levels but got one exclusive stage in exchange + i like the fact that the cover artwork is redesigned to fit the fact that this version, like the PCE CD one, is also one player only
    Last edited by SpaceHarrier; 09-25-2013 at 06:13 PM.

I remain nonsequitur Shining Hero sheath's Avatar

Vector hath returned.
    "... If Sony reduced the price of the Playstation, Sega would have to follow suit in order to stay competitive, but Saturn's high manufacturing cost would then translate into huge losses for the company." p170 Revolutionaries at Sony.

"We ... put Sega out of the hardware business ..." Peter Dille senior vice president of marketing at Sony Computer Entertainment

Thread Information