Quantcast

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: 32x graphics modes

Yep, but that dithering in particular is rather subtle, I doubt it would be very visible on most CRT SDTVs via S-video or even RGB, probably not too much on HD sets with a fair amount of antialiasing applied with scaling.

Dithering works much better in 320 wide mode on the genesis/md in general than 256 wide mode too. (256 wide is much easier to see, even in RF) That's part of why I think it might have been better if Virtua racing had been done in 320 wide mode on the genesis... even if clipped to 256x192, though even with more modest clipping -like 288x192- you end up with more DMA time left over than there is now. (though, that wouldn't matter if rendering speed is mainly limited by SVP performance and not the VDP)

Same would go for FMV too, smaller viewing window, but better dithering effect. (and far less aspect ratio issues -as most seem to be encoded as square pixels, thus looking stretched in 256 wide -probably much worse in PAL)
    6 days older than SEGA Genesis
    -------------
    Quote Originally Posted by evilevoix View Post
    Dude it’s the bios that marries the 16 bit and the 8 bit that makes it 24 bit. If SNK released their double speed bios revision SNK would have had the world’s first 48 bit machine, IDK how you keep ignoring this.
    the PCE, that system has no extra silicone for music, how many resources are used to make music and it has less sprites than the MD on screen at once but a larger sprite area?

Mastering your Systems Shining Hero TmEE's Avatar

On PAL, dithering is seen if you use composhit or RF, not to mention S-video and RGB, though on those 2 it is not that much bound to certain color combinations that blend in and that don't... smaller TVs (less than 21") are better at not showing dithering well...
    Death To MP3, :3
    Mida sa loed ? Nagunii aru ei saa "Gnirts test is a shit" New and growing website of total jawusumness !
    If any of my images in my posts no longer work you can find them in "FileDen Dump" on my site ^

It also depends on the sharpness of the TV and filtering. (those which have more blurring and color bleeding issues in general will obscure things much more)
    -------------
    Dude it’s the bios that marries the 16 bit and the 8 bit that makes it 24 bit. If SNK released their double speed bios revision SNK would have had the world’s first 48 bit machine, IDK how you keep ignoring this.
    the PCE, that system has no extra silicone for music, how many resources are used to make music and it has less sprites than the MD on screen at once but a larger sprite area?

Mastering your Systems Shining Hero TmEE's Avatar

With normal settings, dithering is quite visible. If you turn sharpness so low that things will blur together then its another story :P
    Death To MP3, :3
    Mida sa loed ? Nagunii aru ei saa "Gnirts test is a shit" New and growing website of total jawusumness !
    If any of my images in my posts no longer work you can find them in "FileDen Dump" on my site ^

It depends on the TV too, sometimes certian things inthe service menu are set such to add extra blur (or limit sharpness) too, I found that to be the case on our Sanyo flat CRT when looking through the service menu. (before, dot crawl in composite video was rather obscured and a bit of color bleeding, now after adjusting it, dot crawl is fully visible and the color bleeding in composite is virtually nonexistent -the same thing happens when I mess with the filter or sharpness of my old Zenith)

However, an odd thing about that Sanyo is the sharpness control int he main menu seems to do almost nothing, it's really odd. (there's also a scan velocity control which does seem to have some effect on sharpness/bleeding as well as stability of the beam)
    -------------

ding-doaw Raging in the Streets tomaitheous's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Chilly Willy View Post

This is where your engine needs to be clever. You'll be breaking up RL pixels into groups of RL pixels. I imagine you'd sort the objects by line and horizontal position as they are rasterized before generating the line. It's not as straightforward as conventional rasterizing, but it's still good for certain games. Say your game consists entirely of flat shaded polygons, with any status info like score handled by the Genesis graphics.
    I see. So you scan through the line, fine the RLE code and modify it to a lower number *if* the new overlaid line starts in its path. If no RLE encode pixel row exists where your X destination is, you just simple write in the new one (no re-adjusting the previous RLE you're overlapping). Yeah, that is convenient. I can see doing that in software too (for something other than the 32x), then build out the final frame to real pixels when ready for a frame update.

Thread Information