Quantcast

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 32X Region Free?

Question 32X Region Free?

I live in PAL-land. Will US copies of T-Mek and Knuckles: Choatix work on my UK machine?

Some people say that T-Mek will, but Knuckles won't?
    Gaming Gibberish: http://www.gamesasylum.com

Mastering your Systems Shining Hero TmEE's Avatar

You have to mod the 32X and the MDs to get the games working.
    Death To MP3, :3
    Mida sa loed ? Nagunii aru ei saa "Gnirts test is a shit" New and growing website of total jawusumness !
    If any of my images in my posts no longer work you can find them in "FileDen Dump" on my site ^

So this guy is talking out of his arse/ass? - http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/T-MEK-SEGA-32X...item53e0a0a117

It depends on the games. T-Mek is indeed a region-free game, and the North American version will work on your European machine as it is.

Knuckles Chaotix, on the other hand, has region lockout, and the North American version specifically won't work on PAL systems (will do in both North American and Japanese systems), so it's either modding or going for the European version.

Ok, thank you Mr. Wesker.

Prince of Shatt Master of Shinobi CMA Death Adder's Avatar

Default ...

Quote Originally Posted by NonShinyGoose View Post
    I live in PAL-land.
    The first time I read that, I could've sworn you'd written "PAC-land." I must be really tired. I think if I you were living in Pac-Land, though, you'd be too busy chasing ghosts about to worry over Mega Drive games.
    Last edited by CMA Death Adder; 04-18-2010 at 12:59 AM. Reason: Scarfed a power pellet.
    Cruise by Diskman Presents: filled with geektastic classic gaming goodness!

xDDD

you'd better check it here

www.guardiana.net

T-Mek works, Knuckles won't!

Quote Originally Posted by CMA Death Adder View Post
    The first time I read that, I could've sworn you'd written "PAC-land." I must be really tired. I think if I you were living in Pac-Land, though, you'd be too busy chasing ghosts about to worry over Mega Drive games.
    Quote Originally Posted by j_factor View Post
    The Sega Saturn was God's gift to humanity. This is inarguable fact!
    Quote Originally Posted by llj View Post
    Count me as someone who never liked the Turbo/Hyper Fighting iterations of Street Fighter 2. The speed ups always struck me as too "Benny Hill".

Feedback Thread: http://www.sega-16.com/forum/showthr...ack&highlight=

Quote Originally Posted by Baloo View Post
    Why is Pacman's nose as big as pinocchio's?
    Kiosk Documenting in progress!
    Sega Genesis w/DS-16 Pics uploaded Rough Video
    Xbox Kiosk Pics uploaded
    PS1 Kiosk Pics uploaded

Prince of Shatt Master of Shinobi CMA Death Adder's Avatar

Default ...

Quote Originally Posted by Sparksterz View Post
    Why is Pacman's nose as big as pinocchio's?
    The better to sniff out those pesky ghosts with.
    Cruise by Diskman Presents: filled with geektastic classic gaming goodness!

Retro Nutter! Road Rasher Speedle's Avatar

T-Mek is indeed region free dude, Kolibri is also Region free and very cheap complete from the US of A both worth picking up

Death Adder's minion dreamcaster's Avatar

Noticed this thread, and thought I would bring up this question I have:

I have noticed recently that both my PAL Mega Drive 32X's say "VA0 NTSC" on the motherboard. Does this mean that all 32x's are the same and the region check is done between the 32X game and the Genesis/Mega Drive console?

I ask because I have an NTSC Genesis, but only PAL 32X and was wondering if I connected it to the Genesis, would I be able to play US 32X games? This would be beneficial as they seem to be more plentiful on ebay than their PAL counterparts.

Also it seems that when I put an NTSC/non region coded Genesis/Mega Drive game into the PAL 32X whilst it's connected to the US Genesis, it loads fine.

Raging in the Streets

Quote Originally Posted by dreamcaster View Post
    Noticed this thread, and thought I would bring up this question I have:

I have noticed recently that both my PAL Mega Drive 32X's say "VA0 NTSC" on the motherboard. Does this mean that all 32x's are the same and the region check is done between the 32X game and the Genesis/Mega Drive console?
    The 32X can be switched to output a PAL 50Hz signal or an NTSC signal - like the Mega Drive, it's a matter of toggling between the two as needed. I'd imagine that the VA0 NTSC label indicates where the +5 signal indicating an NTSC output would come from if it were connected.

Like the Mega Drive, the region lock is inside the game, and when booted it checks a) that the 32X is the same region as the Mega Drive it's connected to, and b) that the conditions set by the game are all met.

So, the region check is first between the 32X and the Mega Drive, and then between the Mega Drive and the game.

I ask because I have an NTSC Genesis, but only PAL 32X and was wondering if I connected it to the Genesis, would I be able to play US 32X games? This would be beneficial as they seem to be more plentiful on ebay than their PAL counterparts.
    See b) above. Some games, like Kolibri as mentioned by others, aren't fussy about the consoles they will boot in. For others, you will need to have a Mega Drive and a 32X set to the same region as the 32X game.

Also it seems that when I put an NTSC/non region coded Genesis/Mega Drive game into the PAL 32X whilst it's connected to the US Genesis, it loads fine.
    That's because the 32X knows whether a 32X game or a Mega Drive game is inserted - if it's a Mega Drive game, it passes the game straight through to the Mega Drive cartridge slot as if it were plugged in normally. It doesn't detect the Master System Converter, though, so Master System games won't work if a 32X is connected.

Death Adder's minion dreamcaster's Avatar

Ah, thanks for the information.

I might just eventually get myself an NTSC 32X at some point, as I am not a fan of modding consoles (plus my soldering skills leave much to be desired).

But that's good to know about Kolibri as that's one of the titles I want to get.

Mastering your Systems Shining Hero TmEE's Avatar

all the 32X "I/O" boards are having VA0 NTSC on them, even PAL ones. Only differences are 50/60 setting and colorburst crystal value.
    Death To MP3, :3
    Mida sa loed ? Nagunii aru ei saa "Gnirts test is a shit" New and growing website of total jawusumness !
    If any of my images in my posts no longer work you can find them in "FileDen Dump" on my site ^

Thread Information