Quantcast

Thread: M-1 Abrams Battle Tank

Default M-1 Abrams Battle Tank

A full-blown 3D simulation on my Genesis? Not exactly, but close enough, I'd wager. If only the gameplay were as impressive as the concept itself. In any case, M-1 Abrams Battle Tank is fun for a while, even with its limitations. Read our full review and get ready to pretend that the Communists are still a threat.
    Last edited by Melf; 08-06-2011 at 09:21 PM.

I remember renting this game. I actually had fun with it (though not enough fun to warrant a purchase). It was one of the first times I was able to move around in a real 3D space on a home game system, maybe even the first time. Did this come out before Tengen's Hard Drivin'? Anyway the 3D space was awesome to me, though the game's missions were a bit too slow and boring for my taste. I spent hours and hours messing with Hard Drivin' for the same reason... it's just that that game was more fun. Yes, I realize there were two "that's" in a row in that last sentence, but it's correct Engrish!

I'm pretty sure this game was published by Sega. They were really pushing this and 688 Attack Sub at the same time. Though instead of 3D, 688's main draw was that it had actual voices!

Default F-15 Strike Eagle

I haven't played M-1 Abrams Battle Tank, but I do recall playing F-15 Strike Eagle, which I felt was absolutely terrible. The only decent polygonal game on Genesis, in my opinion, is Virtua Racing. Do note that I said decent, not good.
    [ Web | kevinski.com ] [ Wii | 7030 8283 2535 8378 ]

F-22 isn't that bad, especially when you're fighting over the sea (fewer polygons to display, so therefore smoother gameplay). These polygonal games probably rock on an overclocked Genesis.

Super Robot Raging in the Streets Obviously's Avatar

F-22 is fun but the slowdown really hurts it when battles start getting intense.

I own M1 Battle Tank, and Melf's review is very good. This game is almost too in-depth for it's own good for a Genesis game, including the control scheme. I have tried to play this game many different times and I always end up giving up for the same reasons. Those being that it's simply too tedious and frustrating to master the controls, and you just can't concentrate on that aspect and be expected to understand what's taking place on the battlefield at the same time. It's a shame because the game itself is really a very good simulation, that's why I keep giving it a try.

Were M1:BT and 688 Attack Sub the only games in the "Simulator Series" by Sega, or was F-22 one of these titles as well? If anyone liked F-22, a company called Domark made a clone of this called Mig-29 Fighter Pilot, you might like that one too.

I'm looking for a copy of 688. Playing M-1 really gave me the itch to give it a try.

Proud 16-bit War Veteran ESWAT Veteran David J.'s Avatar

I think there is a copy at the pawn shop but I think it is in poor shape. When I go back I'll take a look at it. See if it is complete and all.

I saw it has a case, but I dunno about manual or what not.
    The smell of scorched oil hangs in the air as a premonition of danger, while the engine gloriously shouts its war cry...

Throughout history, suspicion has always bred conflict. The real conflict, though, resides in people's hearts. This conflict has just begun.

nes x-men nes x-men nes x-men

Super Robot Raging in the Streets Obviously's Avatar

There's a 688 at the indy game store in my town but I've always passed it up.

Quote Originally Posted by Melf
    I'm looking for a copy of 688. Playing M-1 really gave me the itch to give it a try.
    It's nothing special. Personally I prefer Silent Service on NES over 688. That game created a more realistic claustrophobic feel to it.

Digital Press rates this only at rarity level 3. Personally, I think this game is under valued on the rarity scale, especially for a complete copy. Rarity 3 is like barely uncommon...just barely...and I don't think that's accurate from my experience. They must take into consideration that it's not sought after.

Hedgehog-in-Training Hedgehog-in-Training

The way to get intense action from this game is to select expert and play the mission where the Soviets attack and swarm your base. They have a tank called the FST (Future Soviet Tank) that can give you a run for your money. I retreat and hide until they all park by the garage and then blaze downhill and blast them all to pieces. At that point they're too close together and it's shooting fish in a barrel.
    Although some of the missions are drawn out and boring, others are challenging and worth the time. I loved popping smoke, switching to AX and downing a chopper, then rushing the closest ATGM gunner and running him over.

After some practice, moving between the different positions in the tank wasn't too bad- although I admit it's a troublesome part of the game. I ignored most of the view positions and just flipped between gunner, driver and occasionally the map.

Raging in the Streets goldenband's Avatar

Fozzy, what would you consider "beating" this game? It's been hanging out for ages in this thread --

Can Sega-16 Finally Complete the Genesis, PAL MD, Sega CD, and 32X Libraries in 2019?

-- partly because no one is sure what's required to beat the game. Do you have to play through all the missions in one sitting to get the credits, as The Coop said here? Or is there an alternative?

Hedgehog-in-Training Hedgehog-in-Training

I've finished each scenario but never bothered to play the campaign to the end. I think you get a victorious newspaper clipping similar to this one @ 12:54:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=shxFnnbKk4U

I don't know of any alternative but to play all the way through campaign mode.

Raging in the Streets goldenband's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Fozzy View Post
    I've finished each scenario but never bothered to play the campaign to the end. I think you get a victorious newspaper clipping similar to this one @ 12:54:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=shxFnnbKk4U

I don't know of any alternative but to play all the way through campaign mode.
    Thanks, Fozzy. I guess what really needs to happen is for someone to play through campaign mode with savestates and find out if you get any kind of distinct ending, or if it's just a compilation of the various newspaper endings you get for each individual mission. 8-10 hours in one sitting is pretty brutal, but then again it's not the only game that asks something like that (Andre Agassi Tennis takes at least 5-6 hours to beat).

Thread Information